It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

HypersomniacLive: Di Caprio is magical! ;-P
Too bad he wasn't *that* magical in The Titanic. The magic must have come with age i guess. I get that by the time he reach his seventies, his powers will rival those of Gandalf. :P Still, i haven't watched The Departed yet. Rest assured though, it's in my movie backlog. :)

Kleetus: Hope you saw it in 4K HDR.
No, it was the DVD version (the BluRay version was already rented) and I saw it in my friend's big TV (not sure how big, but i'd guess 40-inch big) that does something weird when you watch movies, something like it's 3D without the need to wear any headset or anything like that but still it isn't really 3D. I mean, it's like you're IN the movie. Obviously, i don't know any technical info about the TV right now, but somehow it manages to bring out all the little details of a movie; for example, the shadows are shown great, the colors are very good (the fire looks like it's real and on screen), the fast action sequences don't have any stuttering at all (high refresh rate i guess). Needless to say that the opening scene in Revenant was terrific & the flawless camera work made me feel like i'm in the middle of the battle.

tinyE: There were really only two major changes to the true story which I won't mention in here.
So, it was a true story? Somehow i missed that, thanks for the info! I'll look into the details myself. :)
Post edited November 07, 2016 by Vythonaut
Vythonaut: Too bad he wasn't *that* magical in The Titanic. The magic must have come with age i guess. I get that by the time he reach his seventies, his powers will rival those of Gandalf. :P Still, i haven't watched The Departed yet. Rest assured though, it's in my movie backlog. :) [...]
Do yourself a favour, and watch the original Internal Affairs trilogy instead, or, at the very least, as well.
They Live.... interesting 80's film of alien/corporate takeover and the like...
mariabarring: Doctor Strange

I am not a fan of Benedict, tho I will admit he is a very good actor, he was great in this movie. Definitely one of the better Marvel movies that came out the last few years (incl. Deadpool). Tilda rocked, like always :D And I only wish Mads Mikkelsen got more lines and wasnt covered in so much make-up. I would definitely recommend it.
Breja: Damn, we've got this in two threads now :P My (not nearly as enthusiastic) opinion is here.

Sidenote- Deadpool isn't Marvel's movie, unless you just mean based on Marvel comics.
Yeah, that's what I meant, thanks for clarity :D
HypersomniacLive: Do yourself a favour, and watch the original Internal Affairs trilogy instead, or, at the very least, as well.
Alright, i'm writing that down on my notebook too. :)
Post edited November 08, 2016 by Vythonaut
"Wag The Dog" is a disappointing film. The casting is good (and seems to have fun, which always makes a film enjoyable), but the story is a bit cheap, and its point is self-defeating (denouncing full fabrications is a blessing for mere distortions). It's still an interesting movie to watch in the light of our modern conspiracy theories and what is being called our "post-factual" society. Heck, that film was made before 9/11...

Also :

"M*A*S*H" is a fun, sympathic little movie, but I could't help finding it pretty dated on several respects. Its sexism has aged badly, and its rage against all representants of authority looks almost cruel, now that questionning this authority has become more commonplace and acceptable. The movie felt like a preciously heavy weapon in a war that is, if not truly won, at least not anymore as ruthless as it used to. In contrast, "The Hill" does define its baddies, which makes it more intemporally self-sufficient. Instead of building it, "M*A*S*H" expects us to bring our anger with us, which relies a bit on the times.

So, two movies that felt a bit strange from today's perspective. But I suspect "Wag the Dog" to not have been stellar even in its time...
mariabarring: Doctor Strange

I am not a fan of Benedict, tho I will admit he is a very good actor, he was great in this movie. Definitely one of the better Marvel movies that came out the last few years (incl. Deadpool). Tilda rocked, like always :D And I only wish Mads Mikkelsen got more lines and wasnt covered in so much make-up. I would definitely recommend it.
Breja: Damn, we've got this in two threads now :P My (not nearly as enthusiastic) opinion is here.

Sidenote- Deadpool isn't Marvel's movie, unless you just mean based on Marvel comics.
Not seen many Marvel movies, it just doesn't interest me very much, but saw Dr Strange a few days ago. It was allright. Not great, but not shit either. As you wrote in that linked post, the magic is weird, and it's odd how that main dude goes from barely getting sparks to fly, to being The One, more or less.

Best magic in the movie was the beer glass at the end :D

Thought all that CGI with buildings and streets turning this way and that was silly, but oh well. Leave your brain at the door, and it's allright. I've seen worse, like the hilariously bad Pacific Rim, and the CGI demo otherwise known as Gravity.

Pangaea666: Not seen many Marvel movies, it just doesn't interest me very much, but saw Dr Strange a few days ago. It was allright. Not great, but not shit either. As you wrote in that linked post, the magic is weird, and it's odd how that main dude goes from barely getting sparks to fly, to being The One, more or less.

Best magic in the movie was the beer glass at the end :D

Thought all that CGI with buildings and streets turning this way and that was silly, but oh well. Leave your brain at the door, and it's allright. I've seen worse, like the hilariously bad Pacific Rim, and the CGI demo otherwise known as Gravity.
I think how much you can enjoy Doctor Strange is inversly proportional to how many superhero movies you've seen. On it's own it's ok. Definately not great, even for an action movie, but not that bad either, just sort of average. But in a genre so crowded as the superhero movie now is, it feels played out and way too samey, when it really could have and should have been something brand new.
Post edited November 08, 2016 by Breja
Breja: I think how much you can enjoy Doctor Strange is inversly proportional to how many superhero movies you've seen.
I've seen all superhero movies and enjoyed them all, so that doesn't apply to me. I'm more like Thor at the diner https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5bbu6NPRvU ("I like it. Another!"). Then again, I have this tendency of not being bothered by things that makes other people dislike a movie. I just enjoy the ride.

Doctor Strange was one of the better superhero movies of recent years, but I've never been disappointed by any of them, although I liked some better than others.
HereForTheBeer: Are you saying that "Zodiac" didn't really float your boat?
neurasthenya: I don't know, it really didn't grab me as much as I thought it would.
It is a good movie, with a good direction and script, some good acting and a good story.

And uh... that is "it" to me, you know what I mean? I would watch again and recommend it to others, but I just don't think too high of it.

Also, I'm not a cinephile and my ass do most of the talking so... there's that to consider. :P
Sorry - I was making a bad joke. "Zodiac" didn't float your boat. I crack me up. ; )

I'm not much of a cinephile, either. I know what I enjoy and don't enjoy, but I'm not normally able to fully articulate why. "Because, erm, I like it, that's all."
HereForTheBeer:
hehe, when I've read your comment I thought "is it a joke or not? I don't get it :s... oh well" then babbling on followed xP
Links: I just watched Limitless

It wasn't excellent, but it was good enough for me to want to see the series. Will begin watching it in the next few days.
DaCostaBR: Isn't the series just another case of "let's take a really interesting concept and shove it into a generic cop show, thus removing any and all of the concept's potential."?

Do give us your impressions on the show when you watch it.
I'm almost halfway through Limitless (TV series) first, and only, season. I can say it is a real shame they cancelled it, I would be thrilled to see it picked up by Netflix, but as of now the creator said it won't happen.

The main character, even if a bit more goofy than I'm usually comfortable with, is quite likeable and the actor has a solid performance.

The cast is well picked and no one stands out as a bad performer, even if not all the acting is top notch.

***SPOILER***
The series is a continuation of the movie's story, it is NOT a reboot as I've seen people call it online. The movie's main character, (now) Senator Morra, is trying to pull the strings of the main guy; with the reason for it hidden from the viewer up until the point I've watched. The development of that situation is the main thread of the show.
***END SPOILER***

The mostly serious tone the movie had goes out the window within the first couple of episodes, and even if you could classify the series as a procedural-dramatic-comedy, the order of importance of its elements is the other way around, or at least it feels that way: comedy 60%, drama 30%, procedural 10%.

*Minor spoiler*
My favorite part so far: They hilariously lampshaded all the hacking in episode 10. I sighed in relief when they did it. After so many shows have dealt horribly with IT issues, they did the right thing: "We can't show this properly, so we don't show it at all. Have a few laughs instead".
*End spoiler*

You might ask yourself, why did he watched a show that was already cancelled more than six months ago? The answer is simple: I did it for the lulz ;-)
Links: You might ask yourself, why did he watched a show that was already cancelled more than six months ago?
Is that something frowned upon these days? Watching a show that was cancelled?
Breja: Is that something frowned upon these days? Watching a show that was cancelled?
Many people I know (personally, not online) see it as a waste, especially if the story did not properly end. Not me though.
Watched John Wick, there is no plot, it's basically one action scene followed by the next one, but they were directed very well.
The action scenes reminded me of Equilibrium, I liked it a great deal. :)