It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I'm looking for a game with very rich story, something like Planescape Torment.
Is there any game out there that comes close to that amount of details in the story?
I already played Arcanum.
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
Fallout 1+2

Inquisitor (seriously deep, dark, long, with a top-notch story/story-telling + RP elements)

UnderRail has a little less story than those mentioned above, but it is still huge with atmosphere, variety of locations and factions, and a backstory that is strong.

Still not very far into it, but I think Gothic 1+2 are also going to have deep stories.

Wasteland 2, while it takes a little while to get going, is also worth mentioning here I think.

Then there's the Spiderweb games: Geneforge is the only one I've played a bit of so far, and it's rich and big and deep too, but I think the others offer similar.
Post edited February 14, 2016 by drealmer7
almabrds: I'm looking for a game with very rich story, something like Planescape Torment.
Is there any game out there that comes close to that amount of details in the story?
Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines is the only other RPG that I think has as engrossing and as otherworldly a story.

But, even so, I think Planescape: Torment stands alone.
drealmer7: Fallout 1+2

Inquisitor (seriously deep, dark, long, with a top-notch story/story-telling + RP elements)

UnderRail has a little less story than those mentioned above, but it is still huge with atmosphere, variety of locations and factions and a backstory that is strong.
I've already played Fallout 1 and 2. They're some of my favorite games.

I'm playing UnderRail (for the first time), it's a cool game, but quite difficult! I'm wondering if I should read a guide or not.

I played Inquisitor before, didn't enjoy. Unless they made some major changes in gameplay in the latest patch, I'm staying away from that game. Thanks anyway. :)
almabrds: I'm looking for a game with very rich story, something like Planescape Torment.
misteryo: Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines is the only other RPG that I think has as engrossing and as otherworldly a story.

But, even so, I think Planescape: Torment stands alone.
I guess I'm out of luck, as I have already finished that game!
But thanks, misteryo. It is a great game.
Post edited February 14, 2016 by almabrds
almabrds: I played Inquisitor before, didn't enjoy. Unless they made some major changes in gameplay in the latest patch, I'm staying away from that game. Thanks anyway. :)
Hah, they haven't made patches in quite some time, and probably won't. There are bugs and the combat in the game is HARD (so I highly recommend playing on EASY and making multiple saves often), but the RPing and story are worth it. Also note that playing a Paladin is harder than a Priest or a Thief. I wish the cRPG community would embrace this game and fix it up, it really deserves to be among the tops!

but, yeah, even so...this:
misteryo: Planescape: Torment stands alone.
is probably highly accurate. (I've not ever gotten a chance to play Bloodlines, dangit!!! Get it, GOG!!!!)

How many times have you played Torment? Have you played with the unfinished business pack? Have you played mage class with high CHARISMA from the start? If no to either of these, then play it again!

There is a part in UnderRail when you can tell someone "my name is Adahn." !!!! I wasn't ballsy enough to choose it to see if it had any long-term impact because I'm playing a completely honest character, but, yeah, that got me excited.
Post edited February 14, 2016 by drealmer7
Torment Tides of Numenera is a spiritual successor to PST. The bad news is that it is currently in EA, which I've never gotten the appeal of; if all goes well, it should be finished eventually.
Jonesy89: if all goes well, it should be finished eventually.
and then 1 year later should be patched thoroughly enough to consider playing!
Does it have to be released in 2016? It was confusing to read 2016 in the title then you mention Arcanum for some reason.

Anyway, there's a relatively unknown RPG called Winter Voices. I have played perhaps 1/3 of Episode 1 and I was pleasently surprised. All 6 episodes are released and I believe there's a sequel with no intended episodes in the making too.
oh and I highly recommend looking at the wiki for a while before getting too far into UnderRail. Read about stealth and other game mechanics (like if pickpocket appeals to you, read up on it because it's not just standard RPG pickpocketing like you might expect, etc.), figure out what skill trees you want to specialize in because there are many. Figure if crafting is for you, how you want to synergize, etc.
misteryo: Planescape: Torment stands alone.
drealmer7: is probably highly accurate. (I've not ever gotten a chance to play Bloodlines, dangit!!! Get it, GOG!!!!)

How many times have you played Torment? Have you played with the unfinished business pack? Have you played mage class with high CHARISMA from the start? If no to either of these, then play it again!
I've played with 2 out of 3 classes:
- Mage
- Fighter
And yes, I played with unfinished business patch.
drealmer7: There is a part in UnderRail when you can tell someone "my name is Adahn." !!!! I wasn't ballsy enough to choose it to see if it had any long-term impact because I'm playing a completely honest character, but, yeah, that got me excited.
You remember who was the NPC you talked to?
If so, I'll use that dialogue option.
I'm curious to see what happens.
Nirth: Does it have to be released in 2016? It was confusing to read 2016 in the title then you mention Arcanum for some reason.
No, it is not limited to the year 2016.
Arcanum has a rich story, that's why I mentioned it.
I wish Troika was still developing games.
I'd kill for a sequel or spin-off based in Arcanum.
Nirth: Anyway, there's a relatively unknown RPG called Winter Voices. I have played perhaps 1/3 of Episode 1 and I was pleasently surprised. All 6 episodes are released and I believe there's a sequel with no intended episodes in the making too.
I'll have a look. Thanks.
Post edited February 14, 2016 by almabrds
Apart from Torment: Tides of Numenera, and Spiderweb Software's RPGs, have you looked into Pillars of Eternity?
rampancy: Apart from Torment: Tides of Numenera, and Spiderweb Software's RPGs, have you looked into Pillars of Eternity?
I've never played that.
Did you?
Is it any good?
drealmer7: oh and I highly recommend looking at the wiki for a while before getting too far into UnderRail. Read about stealth and other game mechanics (like if pickpocket appeals to you, read up on it because it's not just standard RPG pickpocketing like you might expect, etc.), figure out what skill trees you want to specialize in because there are many. Figure if crafting is for you, how you want to synergize, etc.
I will, thanks!
Not as much story focused but the WRPGS that felt most like Planescape: Torment to me were Star Wars Knights of the old republic 2 and NWN2 MOB.

Oh another game to look at is maybe Age of Decadence but I only played the demo. The game has many pacifistic solutions and a lot of it is reading but you kind need a guide to know how to level up so you don't end up in a dead end situation or be prepared to restart the game often. (maybe they changed the way this works for the full release)
Post edited February 14, 2016 by marcusmaximus
I've also heard good things about the expansion for NWN2 call ed Mask of the Betrayer. Mind, I havven't played it, but I have read some text LPs of the game, and it looks good.