It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Using the technology of tomorrow to bring you the excitement of the yesteryear!

GOG.com proudly presents the next step in DRM-free retro-gaming: [url=http://www.gog.com/retromator4000]Retromator 4000, a universal nostalgifier for PC & Mac. Our software engineers are very close to producing a stable version, and we're very excited to finally be able to tell you about this revolutionary piece of software. Even more so, because very soon we'll be able to invite you to take part in public alpha testing of the app! (That is as soon as we get the 0.97a version up and running.*) We're glad that GOG.com users will be the first to take part in our next revolution. Or rather: re-evolution ;-)

Ok, but what's Retromator 4000, you might ask, and what does it do exactly? Without going into technical specifics of quantum-level digital retro engineering, let's just put it as simply as possible: it takes your modern current-gen games and turns them into retrotastic, beautifully pixelated classics or even text-based adventures from back in the time when graphics were an option, not a must. All because we know what GOG.com customers are all about--nostalgic gaming!

We've prepared a little [url=http://www.gog.com/retromator4000]preview[/url] of our fantastic app working its magic on three modern age classics: The Witcher, Alan Wake, and Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, so you can easily see the effect Retromator 4000 has on current-gen adventures, RPGs, and action games.

As we said, there's a public alpha version of the software coming towards you as soon as it's done, but there's still plenty of room for your suggestions and input. We would love to know how would you retromate your favorite game, so please--feel free to leave a mock-up screenshot or a piece of text-adventure in the comments below. There are 5 free games waiting for the authors of the best entries! One thing though, the Retromator 4000 will only be usable with DRM-free GOG.com games, so please limit your efforts to retromating only those.

Again, we're extremely happy to be able to introduce this new and exciting GOG.com feature. Please take a moment to see the preview, and maybe stay for the contest mentioned above!

*The estimated time of completion of the public alpha version is based heavily on fuzzy logic and quantum mechanics. In other words--we think that it might be done soon, but it just as well might take much, much longer. Also, in n-1 parallel universes, the Retromator 4000 is already available. The contest deadline is much more specific: Thursday, April 4, at 12:00 GMT.
Will Retrometer add overhead or remove it? Will system requirements go up or down? :)

I want to play Crysis 3 on my trusty 486DX50 8MB RAM that I had purchased for Strike Commander earlier.
Nordwolf: OK, this is the last one, honestly. Now I retromated Clive Barker's Undying. Looks a bit similar to Ultima Underworld, doesn't it?

Btw: One of the funniest contests on GOG (imho) and some great entries so far :-)
deviltaz41: That is brilliant :) . I actually wish something like the retromator 4000 really did exist other than as a prank :).

One of the more inventive gags for April fools.
Yeah it's one of the best and the funniest April Fool's jokes :D
Retromator is for games what sweding is for movies. :D
Ok I tried it on Zork and this is what I get, could be a bug GOG?
Attachments:
rodrolliv: My last attempts. It's been very entertaining.
I like your take on the Giana Sisters!
IL2 has never been so good. Especially the CPC/C64 version!
Attachments:
high rated
Ah! I'm finally finished with the piece I have been working on for two days haha. Man, I wanted to spend more time on it but I gotta get up for work~ But yeah, my piece for the Retromator 4000 contest! It's Deus Ex! I basically just envisioned what the Hong Kong part would look like if it was a pixel-based game!

Also, I would have loved to added more neon signs and what not but again, time haha. I have been so busy with work and other stuff these past days that I couldn't really spend all the time I wanted on it!

Nevertheless it was fun working on it and this is my first entry into a contest on GOG.com I think! Atleast one that requires some effort haha.

And I love other peoples entries here in the thread, some are pretty darn awesome. : D Good luck to everyone!
Attachments:
Post edited April 03, 2013 by Johanz
Pherim: Tried it on Morrowind, turned out as a 2D isometric game, just like in the old days. Plays a lot like Baldur's Gate now, actually...
mrkgnao: I believe you have been using a cheap retromator clone rather than the original, since the OP clearly states that "the Retromator 4000 will only be usable with DRM-free GOG.com games, so please limit your efforts to retromating only those".
Clearly, it merely advanced time for your copy of Morrowind to a point where it was released on GOG, then retromated that copy. That means that Morrowind must be coming to GOG in the future!
SmashManiac: No love for CGA? Here's some Witcher 2 screenshots in full 320x200 resolution with an incredible 4-color palette!

I included a version with textbox and one without. I prefer the former, but it's interesting to see both.
SLP2000: fantastic
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it! :)

Johanz: Ah! I'm finally finished with the piece I have been working on for two days haha. Man, I wanted to spend more time on it but I gotta get up for work~ But yeah, my piece for the Retromator 4000 contest! It's Deus Ex! I basically just envisioned what the Hong Kong part would look like if it was a pixel-based game!
Very impressive, good work!
Post edited April 03, 2013 by SmashManiac
Ok I've gotten an alpha build of Black Ops GOG version from the GOG team and decided to try out the Retromator 4000 version of it.
Johanz: Ah! I'm finally finished with the piece I have been working on for two days haha. Man, I wanted to spend more time on it but I gotta get up for work~ But yeah, my piece for the Retromator 4000 contest! It's Deus Ex! I basically just envisioned what the Hong Kong part would look like if it was a pixel-based game!
Wow, I wish I could as good with pixel art as some of you people! :)
Attachments:
Post edited April 03, 2013 by McDon
"Add an EMS & XMS memory management minigame. Also has optional IRQ conflicts module and autoexec.bat options."

"Break games up into virtual disks. Relive the joy of floppy switching via drag & drop!"

Ah, memories. Don't forget the boot disk! Still, drag and drop switching isn't really the same, is it? Retromator 4000 should work with virtual reality systems - if I spend the cash, I should be able to see a virtual computer from the 80s, and swap disks with real hand and arm movements. :-p
I finally got Zork to work in the Retromator!
Attachments:
I didn't go check through all the other entries, so someone else might have already done something similar to this...

Legend of Grimrock in CGA!

Modern

(See attached for CGA.)
Attachments:
Post edited April 04, 2013 by adambiser
mrkgnao: I believe you have been using a cheap retromator clone rather than the original, since the OP clearly states that "the Retromator 4000 will only be usable with DRM-free GOG.com games, so please limit your efforts to retromating only those".
pi4t: Clearly, it merely advanced time for your copy of Morrowind to a point where it was released on GOG, then retromated that copy. That means that Morrowind must be coming to GOG in the future!
Of course, that must be the case! Really an amazing tool! Who would have known what could be achieved with quantum mechanics.
Johanz: snip...
Cool! Simply cool...