It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Using the technology of tomorrow to bring you the excitement of the yesteryear!

GOG.com proudly presents the next step in DRM-free retro-gaming: [url=http://www.gog.com/retromator4000]Retromator 4000, a universal nostalgifier for PC & Mac. Our software engineers are very close to producing a stable version, and we're very excited to finally be able to tell you about this revolutionary piece of software. Even more so, because very soon we'll be able to invite you to take part in public alpha testing of the app! (That is as soon as we get the 0.97a version up and running.*) We're glad that GOG.com users will be the first to take part in our next revolution. Or rather: re-evolution ;-)

Ok, but what's Retromator 4000, you might ask, and what does it do exactly? Without going into technical specifics of quantum-level digital retro engineering, let's just put it as simply as possible: it takes your modern current-gen games and turns them into retrotastic, beautifully pixelated classics or even text-based adventures from back in the time when graphics were an option, not a must. All because we know what GOG.com customers are all about--nostalgic gaming!

We've prepared a little [url=http://www.gog.com/retromator4000]preview[/url] of our fantastic app working its magic on three modern age classics: The Witcher, Alan Wake, and Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, so you can easily see the effect Retromator 4000 has on current-gen adventures, RPGs, and action games.

As we said, there's a public alpha version of the software coming towards you as soon as it's done, but there's still plenty of room for your suggestions and input. We would love to know how would you retromate your favorite game, so please--feel free to leave a mock-up screenshot or a piece of text-adventure in the comments below. There are 5 free games waiting for the authors of the best entries! One thing though, the Retromator 4000 will only be usable with DRM-free GOG.com games, so please limit your efforts to retromating only those.

Again, we're extremely happy to be able to introduce this new and exciting GOG.com feature. Please take a moment to see the preview, and maybe stay for the contest mentioned above!

*The estimated time of completion of the public alpha version is based heavily on fuzzy logic and quantum mechanics. In other words--we think that it might be done soon, but it just as well might take much, much longer. Also, in n-1 parallel universes, the Retromator 4000 is already available. The contest deadline is much more specific: Thursday, April 4, at 12:00 GMT.
Tried the Retromator on King's Bounty: Armored Princess; weirdly, it looks like the PC version of Final Fantasy 7...
Attachments:
These are much too fun. Here is a dialogue scene from Deus Ex.

Edit: added another picture, this one showcasing combat
Attachments:
Post edited April 03, 2013 by threeandhalfstar
I tried it on "Painkiller," and it really works!

(Obviously not a contest entry.)
Attachments:
OK, this is the last one, honestly. Now I retromated Clive Barker's Undying. Looks a bit similar to Ultima Underworld, doesn't it?

Btw: One of the funniest contests on GOG (imho) and some great entries so far :-)
Attachments:
I'd play text adventure version of Alan Wake
This did raise a pretty valid question: Why didn't CD Projekt just licence the Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker engine for Witchers? The world may never know.
Fantastic! Always loved pixelated graphics. This is unbelievable but I'm not sure find time to play all supported games with Retromator.
Nordwolf: OK, this is the last one, honestly. Now I retromated Clive Barker's Undying. Looks a bit similar to Ultima Underworld, doesn't it?

Btw: One of the funniest contests on GOG (imho) and some great entries so far :-)
That is brilliant :) . I actually wish something like the retromator 4000 really did exist other than as a prank :).

One of the more inventive gags for April fools.
My last attempts. It's been very entertaining.
Attachments:
giana.jpg (167 Kb)
ftl.jpg (72 Kb)
Tried it on Morrowind, turned out as a 2D isometric game, just like in the old days. Plays a lot like Baldur's Gate now, actually...
Attachments:
Pherim: Tried it on Morrowind, turned out as a 2D isometric game, just like in the old days. Plays a lot like Baldur's Gate now, actually...
I believe you have been using a cheap retromator clone rather than the original, since the OP clearly states that "the Retromator 4000 will only be usable with DRM-free GOG.com games, so please limit your efforts to retromating only those".
oh, I found a hidden setting (easter egg)... if you hold down ALT+SHIFT+CTRL+INS+Scroll Lock+Tilde+End and then toggle caps lock 7 times while holding down those keys, the screen will flash 3 times. This enables debugging mode. Anything you type is still hidden, so you must be very careful here... At the prompt, type: "All your ASCII are belong to us" without the quotes and you can output a different sort of text adventure...
Attachments:
thief.png (37 Kb)
Pherim: Tried it on Morrowind, turned out as a 2D isometric game, just like in the old days. Plays a lot like Baldur's Gate now, actually...
mrkgnao: I believe you have been using a cheap retromator clone rather than the original, since the OP clearly states that "the Retromator 4000 will only be usable with DRM-free GOG.com games, so please limit your efforts to retromating only those".
Obviously, it worked nonetheless... ;-P

No, seriously, I just had too much fun making this so if it is out of contest, I don't care.^^
And I still hope that Morrowind will eventually appear on this site, someday.
Efter my bout with NWN 1 I have composed the text version of this game.

Access denied.
Access denied.
Access deni.... welcome

Choose game

1. Neverwinter nights
2. any of the expansions
3. Premium content including the free stuff from biowares site ;)

please decide the person you want to play.
type nr. to choose gender

1. male
2. Female

You have chosen male
Choose race.
type nr. to choose race

1. human
2. elf
3. dwarf
4. hafling
5. gnome
6. half elf
7. half orc
8. Sub race (invent your own)

skip to last

choose the looks of your character
error error no graphics in a text game eeeeerroor

exit

sigh
Log on to GOG forum
Ask nice people whats the dealio
wait a day
solution found after a couple of tries

game won

The end

This is my entry to the aprils fool contest if it does indeed exist;)
mrkgnao: I believe you have been using a cheap retromator clone rather than the original, since the OP clearly states that "the Retromator 4000 will only be usable with DRM-free GOG.com games, so please limit your efforts to retromating only those".
Pherim: Obviously, it worked nonetheless... ;-P

No, seriously, I just had too much fun making this so if it is out of contest, I don't care.^^
And I still hope that Morrowind will eventually appear on this site, someday.
I don't care if it didn't count that was brilliant!