It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Using the technology of tomorrow to bring you the excitement of the yesteryear!

GOG.com proudly presents the next step in DRM-free retro-gaming: [url=http://www.gog.com/retromator4000]Retromator 4000, a universal nostalgifier for PC & Mac. Our software engineers are very close to producing a stable version, and we're very excited to finally be able to tell you about this revolutionary piece of software. Even more so, because very soon we'll be able to invite you to take part in public alpha testing of the app! (That is as soon as we get the 0.97a version up and running.*) We're glad that GOG.com users will be the first to take part in our next revolution. Or rather: re-evolution ;-)

Ok, but what's Retromator 4000, you might ask, and what does it do exactly? Without going into technical specifics of quantum-level digital retro engineering, let's just put it as simply as possible: it takes your modern current-gen games and turns them into retrotastic, beautifully pixelated classics or even text-based adventures from back in the time when graphics were an option, not a must. All because we know what GOG.com customers are all about--nostalgic gaming!

We've prepared a little [url=http://www.gog.com/retromator4000]preview[/url] of our fantastic app working its magic on three modern age classics: The Witcher, Alan Wake, and Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, so you can easily see the effect Retromator 4000 has on current-gen adventures, RPGs, and action games.

As we said, there's a public alpha version of the software coming towards you as soon as it's done, but there's still plenty of room for your suggestions and input. We would love to know how would you retromate your favorite game, so please--feel free to leave a mock-up screenshot or a piece of text-adventure in the comments below. There are 5 free games waiting for the authors of the best entries! One thing though, the Retromator 4000 will only be usable with DRM-free GOG.com games, so please limit your efforts to retromating only those.

Again, we're extremely happy to be able to introduce this new and exciting GOG.com feature. Please take a moment to see the preview, and maybe stay for the contest mentioned above!

*The estimated time of completion of the public alpha version is based heavily on fuzzy logic and quantum mechanics. In other words--we think that it might be done soon, but it just as well might take much, much longer. Also, in n-1 parallel universes, the Retromator 4000 is already available. The contest deadline is much more specific: Thursday, April 4, at 12:00 GMT.
Now make it real!
No joke, this is the greatest thing that could possibly exist.
TheEnigmaticT: Mayyyyyybe. :P
JMich: Heads up, the Gem promo articles ain't up yet, and yes, I tried looking for them. What do you mean there's no Gem Promo today?
Does GOG staff send you alerts each time a new article is made?!? 0.o
(Cuz I still don't get how you're always the first to post in[seemingly] every single news thread.)
Guitar Hero in text mode, kgo!
Roman5: Not bad GOG, but something a bit more daring/provocative would be nice for this day :)
I heard that they were planning to shutdown the site sometime later today, and that when it comes back up everyone's games will be replaced with LINUX VERSIONS. 0.o
Hahaha, nice one!
I was very excited about this... until I saw what day was today...
Nice one. I almost believed it. I suppose deep inside i want to believe.
Have a great April fool's day !
Funny joke and all, but I'm not so sure it's a good idea to feed some folks' delusion that old games are inherently better than new ones...
Here's a capture of SimCity 2000 in the middle of an alien disaster while using Retromator.
Attachments:
Stop developing The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077.

I want the Retromator 4000 now!
Ha ha haha;)
I won't take part in the context, as it requires graphical skills, but good luck to everyone who enters!
F4LL0UT: First I read the text and thought "what a stupid idea which can't possibly work". Then I saw the screens, then I took a look at the calendar. Oh, right...
Well, to be fair, it could work; in fact, Dead Space 3 had something similar as an unlockable, called 'Retro Mode'. I would link to a video of it, but it doesn't really show well on video, it just looks like crappy compression =|
Attachments:
Wouldnt mind this to be true.. :)