It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
IMPORTANT: Please read before posting This topic has been provided to discuss the latest releases of our Downloader (for both Mac and Windows systems) and to submit bug reports. The stable releases (recommended for most users) can be found at this address:http://www.gog.com/downloader.

Latest version:

Mac OS X - 1.2 (build 512)
Windows - 3.6.0

Both Downloaders now have the option of sending Error Reports directly to us (this can be found in app under Settings).
Post edited October 29, 2013 by Fallen_Zen
Bug report
Downloader V 3.5.8.0
Repeatable 100%
Windows 7 Ultimate, patched to current.

Description
When using the scheduling / speed limiting feature the actual downloading speed is not equal to the set limit. However the displayed rate on the interface does closely follow the set limit.
==================================

Hello,

Sorry to complain but I have found a bug that causes me a lot of inconvenience.

The downloader has a facility to restrict download speed. However it does not perform as required. Some mental arithmetic shows that the file size to time ratio is roughly 10 times that set and displayed.

I have attached two screen grabs. The download is set to 1 k/sec but as shown the transfer has quickly reached 2.47 meg.

The speed limiting feature would be very useful for me if it worked. I have a low speed connection with a low cap but it is unmetered over night. I would like to be able to set a speed of zero during the restricted period and download during the night.
Although not a bug, the downloader does not allow a zero speed so if that could be reviewed I'd be grateful.

Thank you.

Overall I'm a happy customer. :-)
Attachments:
Boonatron: snip...
I am working on this issue currently, it will be fixed in the new version of the GOG Downloader ;)
Thank you
Send in two reports as earlier today the Downloader sort of immediately crashed for no apparent reason.
That was on my Win XP system. Will test it later on Win 7 (64bit).
HypersomniacLive: Send in two reports as earlier today the Downloader sort of immediately crashed for no apparent reason.
That was on my Win XP system. Will test it later on Win 7 (64bit).
We'll dig into it. Also we'll be releasing an update to both Windows and Mac versions on Monday / Tuesday, no new features yet, just improvements, bug fixes etc.
Fallen_Zen: We'll dig into it. Also we'll be releasing an update to both Windows and Mac versions on Monday / Tuesday, no new features yet, just improvements, bug fixes etc.
Thanks, was thinking of re-installing on Win XP, but I'll wait for the update - btw, is installation location still fixed?
Also, on my Win 7 (64bit) laptop the Downloader has no issues, currently downloading at almost max speed.
HypersomniacLive: Thanks, was thinking of re-installing on Win XP, but I'll wait for the update - btw, is installation location still fixed?
Also, on my Win 7 (64bit) laptop the Downloader has no issues, currently downloading at almost max speed.
What do you mean by installation location?
Fallen_Zen: What do you mean by installation location?
Sorry, expressed this poorly.

I'm talking about this location (path?):
C:\Documents and Settings\UserNamey\Local Settings\Application Data\GOG.com (Win XP).
C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\GOG.com (Win 7).

Is this still fixed (as in no option to change it)? It'd be most appreciated if we could set it within its installation folder.

---
And I think I've found out why it crashes on me.
Both times it crashed, I had the "Save downloads to:" option set to an external device that was not connected to my PC at the time.
After I changed this to a local partition, no more crashes.
Connecting the device before running the Downloader also works.

I guess that's due to having only one fixed location for all downloads, yes?
HypersomniacLive: Both times it crashed, I had the "Save downloads to:" option set to an external device that was not connected to my PC
No need to try other versions. As far as I can tell, this happens in all published versions of the GOG Downloader.
HypersomniacLive: Sorry, expressed this poorly.

I'm talking about this location (path?):
C:\Documents and Settings\UserNamey\Local Settings\Application Data\GOG.com (Win XP).
C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\GOG.com (Win 7).

Is this still fixed (as in no option to change it)? It'd be most appreciated if we could set it within its installation folder.
These folders are system folders and this is where we keep settings of the Downloader (as most apps do). We do not install the app there. Why would you want to change that?

HypersomniacLive: ---
And I think I've found out why it crashes on me.
Both times it crashed, I had the "Save downloads to:" option set to an external device that was not connected to my PC at the time.
After I changed this to a local partition, no more crashes.
Connecting the device before running the Downloader also works.

I guess that's due to having only one fixed location for all downloads, yes?
This bug has been fixed and will be available in the upcoming release on Monday / Tuesday.
Post edited October 18, 2013 by Fallen_Zen
Fallen_Zen: These folders are system folders and this is where we keep settings of the Downloader (as most apps do). We do not install the app there. Why would you want to change that?
snip
I know what gets stored in that path and that the app itself can be installed at a location of one's choice. It's just that, imho, Windows has a messy way of handling this stuff and that it's better "housekeeping" to confine everything within the installation folder.
There are apps (PotPlayer and KMPlayer come to mind) that have the option "Store settings to .ini file" which keeps things nice and tidy within the installation folder.
Just saying that I prefer this approach and I'd appreciate it if it'd be used in the GOG Downloader, especially since every single download stores an image related to the downloaded game which have to be cleared manually as the "Clear All" function does not include clearing them as well.

Fallen_Zen: [i]snip
[/i]This bug has been fixed and will be available in the upcoming release on Monday / Tuesday.
Good to hear :D
Fallen_Zen: This bug has been fixed and will be available in the upcoming release on Monday / Tuesday.
Thanks in advance.

Is the truncation (of files that have been updated with smaller versions) also included?
This would allow me to "repair" my game collection without downloading 600 GB.
nicode: Thanks in advance.

Is the truncation (of files that have been updated with smaller versions) also included?
This would allow me to "repair" my game collection without downloading 600 GB.
This only concerns Windows version (Mac Downloader downloads to a temporary file and replaces the originals when done downloading). Yes, if you've previously downloaded a game and download it again to the same folder, the Downloader will verify file sizes and truncate them if are different than those on the server. Of course whole files will be re-downloaded.
Fallen_Zen: Yes, if you've previously downloaded a game and download it again to the same folder, the Downloader will verify file sizes and truncate them if are different than those on the server.
That's good news, many thanks.
Fallen_Zen: Yes, if you've previously downloaded a game and download it again to the same folder, the Downloader will verify file sizes and truncate them if are different than those on the server.
nicode: That's good news, many thanks.
You're welcome :)
Post edited October 18, 2013 by Szulak