It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hey doods I bought more tomato soup from the store yesterday than you! Praise me!
high rated
elcook: Thank you for all the feedback you’re posting here.
Thank you once again for not listening to all the feedback here, for leaking private information despite of all account options set to the most private value and thank you for not informing your customers in advance about this privacy change.
richlind33: You seem to think there's something wrong with wanting to buck the herd and get away from this kind of crap
Jeysie: On the contrary, I can certainly understand the desire.

I just don't think it's possible at this point. Not without cutting yourself off entirely from what is increasingly an important part of the sociopolitical landscape. Not without having to rebuild the web from scratch. Not without a lot of things that basically involve trying to upend several decades of progression both in technology and society.

This isn't a "throw a few regs on FB and kill every single gaming platforms' profiles" measure. This is big. Bigger than me, certainly, which is why I tend to take a pragmatic approach and evaluate each scenario to see if the data I share is more or less important than what I get in return for sharing it, since I realize that turning off the firehose not only isn't going to happen any time soon but may not even be realistically possible.

I don't know if we can put the genie back in the bottle. We CAN try to steer the genie and ask for better wishes, but that requires sane and rational discussion, not hysteria and hyperbole.
When a nation has systemic dysfunctionality, catastrophic failure is imminent. The "sociopolitical landscape" you refer to is a wasteland comprised of self-destructive obsessive-compulsives marching towards the extinction of this world's evolved lifeforms -- and for all we know we may have already gone past the point of no return. Revolution is the only hope this world has at present. So no, I have zero interest in dialogue with the lunatics that are in charge of this madness.
Pheace: It just hit me how much this forum is starting to resemble the Steam forums lately... lol
We're the Americans, they were the Norwegians.
high rated
Addendum:
Friends leak on the feed page, even if friends are disabled.

The consequence of the current implementation is that I unfriended everyone. That seems to be the only way to contain the information leakage at this point.
high rated
hollunder: I unfriended everyone.
I did it thirty five minutes ago.

Ok, actually I did it much earlier today. But I see I was right to be paranoid. Good job on a social feature that makes people delete their friends list :D
Post edited April 23, 2018 by Breja
low rated
CARRiON-XCII: I find it hilarious and amusing that you claim to have a better understanding of the internet as a whole yet you're surprised people use hysteria and hyperbole on it. Something that people have been doing on the internet for decades now on pretty much every forum and every comments section and even back then in BBS boards.
I'm not surprised at the hysteria and hyperbole, since all of society nowadays has degenerated to engaging in mass hysteria and hyperbole and Max Level Outrage to just about literally everything to the point where I'm getting drained and tired.

I'm just really really disappointed. I remember when people actually behaved halfway more sane and reasonable. I miss when people actually cared about at least seeming to approach things with sanity and civility and so could be appealed to on that level.

CARRiON-XCII: Also no one cares that you have to tell your Steam friends some people on a GOG thread are bitching and moaning.
I must concede that the fact that people nowadays indeed often don't care how embarrassing and secondhand cringe inducing they look to everyone outside their circle is the cause of a whole variety of recent societal issues, including those issues exhibited by pretty much everyone on the right-wing side of the US.

In the end, I mostly just feel weary that this whole event is a microcosm of how Outrage Culture society has gotten in general, because I'm really tired of Outrage Culture. Especially since being outraged at everything no matter how minor often takes away from the issues life and death enough to actually merit outrage.
CARRiON-XCII: Also no one cares that you have to tell your Steam friends some people on a GOG thread are bitching and moaning.
Jeysie: I must concede that the fact that people nowadays indeed often don't care how embarrassing and secondhand cringe inducing they look to everyone outside their circle is the cause of a whole variety of recent societal issues, including those issues exhibited by pretty much everyone on the right-wing side of the US.
Irony much? o.O
zeogold: First off, let me say that GOG, to me, is not the "friend" that I imagine it's felt like to most of you. As I'm sure I've said in an open letter or two before, I never had that feeling of "Wow, here's a company that finally caters to me!" like most of you have felt. The reason I support them is the DRM-free, and that's all that matters to me in regards to the company. It's the reason I love the store and the reason I want to see it grow, for the DRM-free.
The times I've seen GOG as a more customer friendly store than others are long gone for me. I also see GOG as a DRM-free game store now and I'm here only because the games are still DRM-free. But that's exactly why I at least want to have the option to use GOG as a store only and not as a social media hub for games, as a normal store which does not publicly display my purchases or the amount of time I have spent on them.

PS: I don't think most people here blindly downvote posts just because they do not agree with them. Posts which are well explained and understandable are still respected, even when people do not agree with them, as your post shows.
Post edited April 24, 2018 by eiii
high rated
Jeysie: I'm just really really disappointed.
And we are just very, very tired of your unfortunate inability to understand very simple matters and obnoxious manner of labeling everything you don't understand as "hysteria" so you can easily handwave it away and persist in your perfect bubble of a brave new world.

However, there is no need for you to feel bad. Total erosion of privacy is progressing smoothly on all fronts, one little step at a time. Your brave new world you are so vehemntly defending agains us hysterical hordes is doing fine. So smile - you're on camera!
Post edited April 23, 2018 by Breja
high rated
CARRiON-XCII: I find it hilarious and amusing that you claim to have a better understanding of the internet as a whole yet you're surprised people use hysteria and hyperbole on it. Something that people have been doing on the internet for decades now on pretty much every forum and every comments section and even back then in BBS boards.
Jeysie: I'm not surprised at the hysteria and hyperbole, since all of society nowadays has degenerated to engaging in mass hysteria and hyperbole and Max Level Outrage to just about literally everything to the point where I'm getting drained and tired.

I'm just really really disappointed. I remember when people actually behaved halfway more sane and reasonable. I miss when people actually cared about at least seeming to approach things with sanity and civility and so could be appealed to on that level.

Jeysie: I must concede that the fact that people nowadays indeed often don't care how embarrassing and secondhand cringe inducing they look to everyone outside their circle is the cause of a whole variety of recent societal issues, including those issues exhibited by pretty much everyone on the right-wing side of the US.

In the end, I mostly just feel weary that this whole event is a microcosm of how Outrage Culture society has gotten in general, because I'm really tired of Outrage Culture. Especially since being outraged at everything no matter how minor often takes away from the issues life and death enough to actually merit outrage.
You're missing the bigger picture. Yes people want total and complete privacy, something that GOG doesn't offer yet. When you set your profile to private on Steam, all that remains is a picture and name. That's it. No numbers, stats or any other info. That's what people want. Also profiles should really be opt-in not opt-out, that's a major problem that can fuck GOG over if they don't fix that.

But really, the anger you see is from GOG's tiresome and clumsy nature they've had for some years now, and how they just seem to refuse to learn from past mistakes. People are just tired of how everytime they release a major feature or update, it's unpolished, has a ton of issues that could have been avoided had it not been from the lack of communication, something that GOG used to shine with. And the fact that they are slow to fix things, have awful game curation, have awful dev game patching problems, break more things then they fix, introduce bugs that should have been obvious, and overall just create more work for themselves and their dedicated community. It doesn't help that as they continue to be clumsy and continue to give us radio silence about our concerns, that their show of flying people down to their offices from this community to say "You guys matter! Honest!" looks more and more like an empty PR attempt.

IDK what's going on, but they really need a better team coordinator, or more staff, or something. It almost feels like they don't even communicate with each other.

So yeah. People are pissed off and tired of it. What a shocker. All they want is more options and a smoother experience. GOG will typically take a couple small steps forward then almost immediatly take 10 steps backwards. Repeatedly. For years.
high rated
@Jeysie

In an earlier post here
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/introducing_gog_profiles_a393f/post430
you mentioned that a lot of people requested public profiles:
https://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/public_gog_profiles

Fine, I grant you your "I-want-my-profile-visible" wish and you can have your public user profile show your games, friends, etc. to all the world. It must be nice for you and all those others that after waiting for 6 YEARS almost 1300 gog users now got their wish fulfilled and they can now have a pubic profile - good for them, great for you.

BUT have a look at this
https://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/disable_view_profile_function_for_customers_who_care_for_their_privacy
and ask yourself why within LESS THAN ONE DAY almost 10 % of the number of customers who voted within 6 years in favor of the public profiles have now already voted for PRIVACY?! Let's say this feature request tops at 120 votes today and continues to generate the same amount of votes within the next 6 years. This would mean that it would get a lot of votes (120/day x 365 x 6 = 262.800) more in favour of invisible profiles...

Please mind that these people are not against you or your public profiles, you can have them, we do not want to take them away from you. But they - myself included - are against the fact that gog illegaly violated our privacy by creating public profiles without asking us. If they would have allowed people to OPT-IN and not just made their customer's data public without their consent nobody would have made an issue out of this. Now it is - again - a complete disaster for gog and I hope that a lot of pressure will make them do the right thing - if a little bit late - and offer the best of two worlds: public profiles for those that want them, and invisible profiles for all others.

A competent web designer should have been able to create and include that option into our account settings within a day but then, considering that they have not been able to create an option for the "classic installers" as default download within the last years... let's just hope they do the right thing this time...
low rated
Breja: And we are just very, very tired of your unfortunate inability to understand very simple matters and obnoxious manner of labeling everything you don't understand as "hysteria" so you can easily handwave it away and persist in your perfect bubble of a brave new world.

However, there is no need for you to feel bad. Total erosion of privacy is progressing smoothly on all fronts, one little step at a time. Your brave new world you are so vehemntly defending agains us hysterical hordes is doing fine. So smile - you're on camera!
Gosh, you're right, when someone says that a 100% voluntary, bog-standard, and requested feature that does literally nothing but list what games you own/play means "total erosion of privacy", how dare I see that as hysteria and hyperbole.

Clearly I just need to understand the "simple matter" of how a 100% voluntary, bog-standard and requested feature that shows zero incriminating or personal data whatsoever means GOG has betrayed and violated all of us.

At this point I'm really regretting finding out what the GOG community is like. I mean I guess I can understand why people who act like total assholes to anyone who is halfway sane and rational would be embarrassed to have the wider net see how they behave, though. Sheesh.
Oh, and how about actually hiding the profile? It's accessible no matter what through the forum (click on username -> view profile)

So I have to delete all my forum posts now to disable access to my profile?

EDIT: Oh right, wouldn't help.
https://www.gog.com/u/USERNAME works, no matter what your settings are. Even with"Your Visibility: NOW HIDDEN - Nobody can find me"
Post edited April 23, 2018 by hollunder
high rated
I have one wish. Please stop talking to Jeysie.