It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

adaliabooks: Actually really impressed with this. Makes some sense to have friends now as it shows when they've posted in the forums (and the game stuff which is less interesting to me but still nice)

Looks pretty too. Good job GOG.
Lin545: Finally a nice solid statement in the ocean of cryriver :) Let me hold on it too! :)
More like a river of bathtub wodka swirling down your gullet. lol
richlind33: More like a river of bathtub wodka swirling down your gullet. lol
If my boat is a pickle, I am in! :)
xyem: If you get your facebook credentials stolen (because say, someone replicates the facebook login form and MITM's the site's form), they gain access to your facebook and everything else that has "login with facebook" enabled.
Jeysie: You're conflating two different things here.

Yes, someone could spoof the FB login page itself, but that's because any login page on any website can be spoofed. You have to be vigilant about every website for that, not just FB itself.

But "Login with Facebook" is specifically token-based authentication, which is an entirely different beast. That's why the exploit you posted only grabbed the profile information and not your entire FB account or any kind of passwords or so on, because tokens are deliberately limited. Likewise, from looking at the article, the security issue wasn't on FB's end, it was on the end of the website who allowed malicious code to be injected onto their server.

I recommend actually looking up "Token based authentication" and what it does and doesn't do. You do have legitimate concerns, but your understanding of where the concerns should be aimed at is a bit off. In particular, treating FB as the sole boogeyman where ignoring them makes it all go away and you safe, isn't actually the case because the problems either go way beyond FB alone or aren't on FB's end of things.

Like it honestly bugs me that everything's laser focused on FB or superficial things like GOG's profile, both because the legitimate issues go way way beyond just FB or gaming profiles and because it gives people a false sense of security that all we have to do is wall off/police FB or GOG profiles or so on and everything becomes hunky dory.
I'm pretty sure that most of us here understand that drawing a line in the sand isn't going to win the war.

So where exactly *do* you draw the line?
low rated
Vainamoinen: I understand well that you don't see it that way, but that is some sicko shit.
So it's "sicko shit" that a website... gives you the 100% voluntary option to enable a profile which has absolutely zero personal or incriminating info on it and matches what virtually every other gaming venue offers with absolutely zero issues whatsoever as a result.

And you want me to take you seriously when you say that. :/ You need to consider the entire web sicko, by that metric, at which point you need to consider if you're truly approaching this in a productive manner.

Vainamoinen: You should definitely not just make the enablers responsible, the fucking Zuckerbergs and the fucking Newells, the fucking Nadellas and the fucking Cooks,
..and literally the entire net, since the entire net was designed from Day One to be a place to share data. Heck, Sir Tim even wanted MORE data to be shared, since his vision was originally a Semantic Data driven web where everyone would have a Personal Internet Identifier full of whatever data they wanted to share.

In order to implement the sort of bulletproof privacy you folks want we'd basically have to tear down the web and rebuild both its infrastructure and its economic systems from the bottom up. And along the way we'd probably lose a lot of the ability for anyone to add to the web since we'd by design have to kill most of the existing openness.

I honestly don't know if that's even possible, let alone if what we gained in terms of privacy would be worth what we lost in terms of the agnostic ability for anyone regardless of station to put their thoughts out there.

richlind33: You seem to think there's something wrong with wanting to buck the herd and get away from this kind of crap
On the contrary, I can certainly understand the desire.

I just don't think it's possible at this point. Not without cutting yourself off entirely from what is increasingly an important part of the sociopolitical landscape. Not without having to rebuild the web from scratch. Not without a lot of things that basically involve trying to upend several decades of progression both in technology and society.

This isn't a "throw a few regs on FB and kill every single gaming platforms' profiles" measure. This is big. Bigger than me, certainly, which is why I tend to take a pragmatic approach and evaluate each scenario to see if the data I share is more or less important than what I get in return for sharing it, since I realize that turning off the firehose not only isn't going to happen any time soon but may not even be realistically possible.

I don't know if we can put the genie back in the bottle. We CAN try to steer the genie and ask for better wishes, but that requires sane and rational discussion, not hysteria and hyperbole.

richlind33: That's pitiful, my friend. Utterly and wholly pitiful. o.O
I'm genuinely sorry you find anyone who has different needs from you pitiful. Or that you find someone who has an educated view of how the internet works, and thus takes a pragmatic priority-based view of how to approach things, to be pitiful.

Honestly, if we're going to sink to this discourse level, then what I find pitiful is people being so hysterical and hyperbolic about all this. Like I said in the other thread, I now have to explain to my Steam friends how people are screaming bloody murder because GOG implemented a feature many people asked for that Steam users have had all this time with zero issues. I don't look forward to it.

I feel irritated that I apparently can't get people to understand that you should approach things with sanity and rationality, not hysteria and hyperbole. And that the more serious an issue, that actually just means the more sane and rationally you should approach it.
high rated
Jeysie: So it's "sicko shit" that a website... gives you the 100% voluntary option
You can keep repeating the same thing but it's not going to make it any less false.
low rated
Jeysie: So it's "sicko shit" that a website... gives you the 100% voluntary option
Pheace: You can keep repeating the same thing but it's not going to make it any less false.
How is it false?

When I look at my settings, I see all kinds of options available I can set including the ones that make it completely hidden.

When I go to your profile, it is indeed completely hidden. Every single tab just gives me a "This person's info is private" option.

So unless I'm having a mass hallucination or GOG somehow reached out and magicked my PC to be the only one that respects your privacy settings, I continue to state that it's truth that this is voluntary and GOG is respecting your privacy.
high rated
Pheace: You can keep repeating the same thing but it's not going to make it any less false.
Jeysie: How is it false?

When I look at my settings, I see all kinds of options available I can set including the ones that make it completely hidden.

When I go to your profile, it is indeed completely hidden. Every single tab just gives me a "This person's info is private" option.

So unless I'm having a mass hallucination or GOG somehow reached out and magicked my PC to be the only one that respects your privacy settings, I continue to state that it's truth that this is voluntary and GOG is respecting your privacy.
How in the world have you been reading and complaining about what people have been saying in this thread for pages and pages already and still somehow don't have a clue what people are complaining about? Already answered this in the other thread
Post edited April 23, 2018 by Pheace
Jeysie: When I go to your profile, it is indeed completely hidden. Every single tab just gives me a "This person's info is private" option.
And also : 110 games, 50 hours played.
high rated
Honestly I think the social stuff is mostly useless.

Aside from that the default privacy settings with everything public are NOT OK in my book.

Even with everything restricted as much as possible you can see through 'friends' how many games I have. If I were interested in hacking accounts this information would be very useful to pick juicy targets.

It's mostly a bad idea with very little actual benefit and a tremendous waste of effort.
low rated
Pheace: How in the world have you been reading and complaining about what people have been saying in this thread for pages and pages already and still somehow don't have a clue what people are complaining about? Already answered this in the other thread
Basically I'm inclined to assume people are being halfway reasonable. So I assumed that maybe there genuinely was some kind of goof going on. Like, ironically I was actually still giving you some of the benefit of the doubt.

But after a while I finally decided I might as well double-check, and apparently it's even worse than I already thought and you folks are literally screaming about nothing at all. You already have privacy options to choose from, and the site already respects those privacy options. You are literally screaming over GOG showing people a blank screen with your username on it.

Let me just repeat that: People are calling me pitiful while you folks are the ones screaming about 100% voluntary and respected settings that produce a blank screen with your username on it. SMH
Jeysie: I feel irritated that I apparently can't get people to understand that you should approach things with sanity and rationality, not hysteria and hyperbole. And that the more serious an issue, that actually just means the more sane and rationally you should approach it.
I find it hilarious and amusing that you claim to have a better understanding of the internet as a whole yet you're surprised people use hysteria and hyperbole on it. Something that people have been doing on the internet for decades now on pretty much every forum and every comments section and even back then in BBS boards.

Also no one cares that you have to tell your Steam friends some people on a GOG thread are bitching and moaning. That has zero relevancy to the fact that some people want complete privacy and the options here need adjustments and tweaks still.

GOG will not yank the profiles, because the profiles themselves are not the issue.
I just hope GOG maintains the fundamentals concerning DRM and privacy that it was founded on.

It can be a slippery slope.

Also, I seem to not be able to hide games any longer.
It just hit me how much this forum is starting to resemble the Steam forums lately... lol
usePowerToolz: Also, I seem to not be able to hide games any longer.
All of the different tabs still show that you have set it to private. So I can alleviate your worries on that front at least. The only thing showing is the time played and the total number of games owned.
Pheace: It just hit me how much this forum is starting to resemble the Steam forums lately... lol
Maybe for the same reason. Maybe THAT'S HOW IT STARTED !!!