It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
So Galaxy collect times estimates even if I unchecked the feature in it.
And then show it up in my profile.

Why?

Galaxy will be a goner now.
high rated
I haven't touched galaxy in over a year.
No way to blank the info, or even turn the profile off, WHY???
low rated
CymTyr: Do you not see how this could be an issue? I'm more concerned with other people's protection than my own. You seem to forget how sick most of the people who use the internet are.
No I don't honestly.

And not because I don't understand how sick people can be; you're talking to someone who's spent a lot of her life being abused and bullied.

It's because GOG has literally no information that anyone could do much of anything with even if they had malicious intent. There's no real world identifying information whatsoever. And your gaming history just is not anything anyone is going to care much about; making fun of you because you play [random game here] for [x hours] is idiot schoolyard teasing at worst and a complete not a thing that will actually happen at best.

So when I read stuff like "may soon be interested in pics of my crotch and bottoms as well" I have to roll my eyes because it's literally nothing but ridiculous hysteria and hyperbole. There's no sane or rational or reasonable concerns or discourse being offered here.

I mean, I'm perfectly proud to be a gamer; it's not something I've ever hidden in the first place, so I don't see why I should be upset that something can see that, like, I play games. And someone making fun of me because of the games I play would elicit an eyeroll at most because quite frankly I've had far, far worse things flung at me in my life and someone who has to resort to that lame a thing isn't even trying.

Likewise, anyone who wants to know what forum threads you post in can already easily do that just by using Google, so removing profiles doesn't protect against that either.

I mean, the deep irony is that it's probably BECAUSE I've had so much experience being bullied and abused that is why I can recognize what is and isn't actually a legitimate thing to worry about. I only wish I had a life so blessed that someone finding out that le gasp I own games and play them sometimes, is the absolute worst thing I can imagine happening to me. Or that it's even a "worst" thing at all versus a total not-a-thing or a positive thing I can use to spark convos with friends.

xyem: Fair enough. The original article I read about it said that the attack makes the browser authenticate into Facebook (outside of user instruction), but you're right, it isn't mentioned in the one that I linked.
Indeed, but the nature of the handshake means that your password can never be exposed regardless of how its intercepted; that's one of the appeals of the FB login or similar logins (like on Twitter or Google) in the first place.

Likewise, reading the article indicates that the security issue was on the end of the website, not on FB's end. So a site that's insecure enough to have its FB login hijacked is insecure enough to have its own data hijacked, meaning a direct login wouldn't save you much.

That's why I keep saying things like "privacy options are a bandaid", "the genie is out of the bottle", "we may have to rethink privacy", etc. Not because I actually like or approve of the situation, but because that's the way the reality is, and it may not be possible to fix it in a bulletproof way.

The web was designed from day one to be a method of sharing data without interruption, so a lot of privacy options are essentially trying to put a padlock on a tissue paper house. It very likely is not possible to completely fix all privacy issues without essentially tearing down the web and starting over with new infrastructure.

In turn, railing at FB or GOG is a bit like spending all your effort on removing a single knife while being surrounded by an infinite number of other knives. So it's not that you don't need to ever protect against the knives, it's that it's going to take more than just a piecemeal, myopic approach and may also require sometimes having to choose which knives are worth protecting against and which ones to put up with scratching you.
Post edited April 23, 2018 by Jeysie
high rated
elcook: The announcement is now live: https://www.gog.com/news/introducing_gog_profiles

We wanted to soft launch it and make all the necessary fixes, that's why the delay. Hope you like the feature.
Too late. Too little.
Badly explained.
Badly implemented.

Sorry, this is really got on my nerves.
Related Reddit post.

I made a post about the privacy settings but /r/games is very pro-CDP/Witcher so it'll probably be downvoted in the long run
Post edited April 23, 2018 by Pheace
elcook: The announcement is now live: https://www.gog.com/news/introducing_gog_profiles

We wanted to soft launch it and make all the necessary fixes, that's why the delay. Hope you like the feature.
FINALLY!
Now, it will be interesting to know how many accounts are here...

With this feature of public profiles, I hope a clone of SteamSpy can be created..
That is important info If we want for more AAA publishers joining GOG.
high rated
Jeysie: So when I read stuff like "may soon be interested in pics of my crotch and bottoms as well" I have to roll my eyes because it's literally nothing but ridiculous hysteria and hyperbole. There's no sane or rational or reasonable concerns or discourse being offered here.
have you heard anything about concept like bitter sarcasm yet ? maybe not :)
i bet your life may be funnier without that...

Digital_CHE: FINALLY!
Now, it will be interesting to know how many accounts are here...

With this feature of public profiles, I hope a clone of SteamSpy can be created..
That is important info If we want for more AAA publishers joining GOG.
and how about not discouraging devs who already tries/are willing to do business with GOG and sell their games here to do so ?
especially small devs teams for which maintaining a drm free build (for a very minor % of customer base compared to the convenience and low maintenance of just throwing game at steam store) represent additional cost/expenses and allocated ressources

like curation bonkers (refusing magnum opus)
like delaying for several days* (by complete lack of organisation, lazyness or whatever) the delivery of gog keys to dev studio for customers who already bought the game through their KS campaign, and despite the number of required keys was known monthes in advance as the choice of backer's rewards was locked down to gog or steam long ago (current issue in "For the King")

(* still pending, and growing)

and you hope steamspy clone and social profiles bonkers is the key to incentive publishers and devs to release their games here ?
maybe, but then how many smaller game devs does GOG have to disgust and discourage from ever bothering wasting their time up here with their current lidicrous behavior ?
Post edited April 23, 2018 by Djaron
Pheace: While it's possible I highly doubt it'll ever be useful to be honest. Steamspy shut down rather quickly but it's quite possible in a couple of months many people will be back to public again, at least to levels where the numbers are significant (while perhaps not the majority of users).

On GOG though, not only is the number of people way lower, there's "probably" a larger subsection sensitive about privacy (This might be negated by the notion that most GOG users aren't used to getting spam invites etc) but most importantly, the data collected, at least when it comes to playtime will be extremely unreliable at best, given that it'll only ever record that information if and when people use Galaxy to play their game. Because of that the only games it'll really be effective for is the games that require the use of Galaxy in some form or another.

I'd still find the info interesting to see, but it likely won't be something you can draw conclusions from.
Digital_CHE: If We want more AAA games publishers joining the DRMFREE revolution, a website like SteamSpy is very usefull when you want good statistics:
How many people play this game...
What kind of game is the most played ..
How many people buy games on GOG... How many are Windows users.. How many are Mac users.. How many are Linux users....
And that info must be of public access, so new publishers can join the revolution...

Thanks to SteamSpy we, the users, and the publishers know there are more than 192 million Steam accounts...
And that data is important for new publishers joining the store..

How many gog accounts are? That is the million dollars question. (I guess We are no more than 100K)
Today, only CD projekt know that, and that is BAD if we want more AAA games publishers joining GOG...
Feral interactive, owner of the publishing rights for Linux and Mac of several AAA games, stated that GOG is not a viable store..
Once We have public profiles like Steam, a website like Steamspy will appear and most of the data needed will appear with it..

Do you believe in the GOG's Popular tab with the most sold games? I don't..
My whole point was that you won't get any reliable information from GOG profiles to base decisions on because there are far fewer of them and tracking is completely unreliable since it relies on Galaxy to be used which many people don't and even if they do you can't know for sure they use it every time they play something.

And as mentioned before, there's likely way way more than 100k profiles. The question is more how many concurrent users there are at any time, how many unique users there are over a given period etc. I wouldn't be surprised if a huge number of accounts was only ever created for Witcher 3/Gwent/giveaways and are rarely used so total accounts is less of an interesting statistic.
Post edited April 23, 2018 by Pheace
Djaron: and how about not discouraging devs who already tries/are willing to do business with GOG and sell their games here to do so ?
especially small devs teams for which maintaining a drm free build (for a very minor % of customer base compared to the convenience and low maintenance of just throwing game at steam store) represent additional cost/expenses and allocated ressources
I agree with you in that. The argentinian dev Saibot Studios tried to release the Doorways games here, but GOG refuse to do it...
Djaron: and how about not discouraging devs who already tries/are willing to do business with GOG and sell their games here to do so ?
Digital_CHE: I agree with you in that. The argentinian dev Saibot Studios tried to release the Doorways games here, but GOG refuse to do it...
ironoak games already had released For the King here on GOG , but GOG seems to be slacking/not interested into delivering the gog keys for the game's early kickstarter backers...
I would like to say that I do agree private should be private, even if I think in the grand scheme of things it's not a huge deal. No need to show anything if a user has their profile set to private. So remove the number of games, etc if an account is private. I agree with those users who are asking for that, it's a not a huge ask.

And for the love of god, on the website push the footer to the bottom of the screen. Looks bad on private profiles because not enough content to push it down. Jeez.
Post edited April 23, 2018 by BKGaming
OldOldGamer: So Galaxy collect times estimates even if I unchecked the feature in it.
And then show it up in my profile.

Why?

Galaxy will be a goner now.
When you uncheck the features in Galaxy, they stop "being recorded", but they are not reset. If you've 3 hours in a game, recorded through GOG Galaxy, and then you keep playing it with the time tracking disabled, you'll still have 3 hours of playtime (that you can't see anymore). Galaxy doesn't record your info if you don't want to. Now, if the info recorded before you choose to disable its "telemetry" should be visible on the profile or not is another matter, and I agree that it shouldn't.
Uh, guys? I just noticed the defaults for game library and friendslist got changed to "friends only" by default. I could be imagining things, but I'm pretty sure I had it set to "everyone" before...even opened up an alt account to check, sure enough, that's the default for new accounts.

Was it like this before and I'm forgetting, or...?
Post edited April 23, 2018 by zeogold
zeogold: Uh, guys? I just noticed the defaults for game library and friendslist got changed to "friends only" by default. I could be imagining things, but I'm pretty sure I had it set to "everyone" before...even opened up an alt account to check, sure enough, that's the default for new accounts.

Was it like this before and I'm forgetting, or...?
Game library and friend list should be "friends only" by default yes. It was set that way in the beginning. Only profiles were set to public.
Post edited April 23, 2018 by BKGaming
Jeysie: Also with people complaining about forum replies being visible: google "site:gog.com [your username]" because GOG's forums are public webpages. It's already not secret anyway. This is what I meant about the genie being out of the bottle and privacy options being bandaids on arterial wounds and not putting on the internet anything you don't want known at all.
You're right, the situation was shit before. But anyone here who's had a persistent downvote troll or bot on their back will tell you that they were actually desperately waiting for GOG to finally issue a band aid of sorts, for years even. They waited for the situation to improve, and a lot have been promised that would happen. Instead, GOG has now facilitated harassment even more in a forum already known far and wide for the respective social media forms of harassment.

And when they're marching in the wrong direction, even when they've been lost for years anyway, you raise your finger and tell them.
Post edited April 23, 2018 by Vainamoinen