It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Breja: 1. The default setting should be the "max privacy" one. We realise that you want the new feature to be used by as many people as possible, but it should be their choice, not a default setting you hope they won't bother to change. Not everyone is going to know about this change immediately. It's no loss for someone who wants to use it to opt-in at a later moment, but it is a problem for someone who doesn't want it to suddenly realise infor they wanted private was public. And if you want a more "selfish" reason GOG should want it set to private as default - in the light of recent controversies, it would look better for you to show such care for our privacy.
As I've already said, it's understandable that GOG wants profiles to be displayed by default. I feel a MUCH better solution, which I've already mentioned, too, would be a one-time pop-up window asking the user to make their decision on privacy settings. These could still default to max privacy, but only until the first login (since the feature's introduction), at which point every user would have to make their mind on the issue.

This way we can avoid the "What should be the settings for undecided users?" question, because there would be no undecided users.

And to make things even for defaulting to max privacy until then, the suggested option in that pop-up window could be making the profiles public. ;)
Post edited April 19, 2018 by Taro94
high rated
elcook: Hope you’ll enjoy this new feature when it comes to GOG, and expect an official announcement very soon!
Breja: Ok, I'm allowing myself to compile what I believe most of us here reached something of a censensus on into a single post, so that it's easier for you to hopefully give us some answer to our suggestions/complaints.

1. The default setting should be the "max privacy" one. We realise that you want the new feature to be used by as many people as possible, but it should be their choice, not a default setting you hope they won't bother to change. Not everyone is going to know about this change immediately. It's no loss for someone who wants to use it to opt-in at a later moment, but it is a problem for someone who doesn't want it to suddenly realise infor they wanted private was public. And if you want a more "selfish" reason GOG should want it set to private as default - in the light of recent controversies, it would look better for you to show such care for our privacy.

2. You should do more to inform everyone about the coming change than to just make an indistinguishable forum thread. Not everyone uses the forum, not even everyone who does will notice one thread among many.

3. The "your visibility" checkbox is extremely poorly implemented with the confusing changing description text.

4. "Find by username" and "find by email" should be two separate options.

5. We can choose to hide our list of friends, but we'll still be visable on friend lists of our friends if they make those friend lists visable, kind of making the choice to make your list hidden pointless. We should have the option to just be invisable.
THIS.

If your customers want to expose parts of their profiles, it has to be their choice not yours. Value your customers and they will reflect it back.

I once saw GOG as a company that stood out among the rest of the bunch, it had all the unique traits, the only remaining trait left I see nowadays is the DRM-Free.
Post edited April 19, 2018 by Ganni1987
Ganni1987: THIS.

If your customers want to expose parts of their profiles, it has to be their choice not yours. Value your customers and they will reflect it back.

I once saw GOG as a company that stood out among the rest of the bunch, it had all the unique traits, the only remaining trait left I see nowadays is the DRM-Free.
Except it's only the DRM-free policy that GOG advertised as a feature.

The lack of social features never seemed to be something GOG was proud of, so you can't really expect them to stay in place and not develop their platform to match modern standards.

It's also curious that people would rather have these settings default to full privacy than being asked to decide (given that I've not yet seen a response to the idea I've suggested, I assume this is the case).

Defaulting to full privacy will be detrimental to those who'd want to make use of these social features and are not aware of them, in much the same way defaulting to no privacy settings is detrimental to those who don't want to use them.

So I'd be interested in hearing why exactly defaulting to one option or another is better than forcing users to make their mind on the issue themselves.
high rated
Totally agree with Breja's summary, and Taro94's pop-up idea is great too. Gog can't go wrong if they implement everything suggested, putting respecting privacy first.
Post edited April 19, 2018 by artistgog
Taro94: It's also curious that people would rather have these settings default to full privacy than being asked to decide (given that I've not yet seen a response to the idea I've suggested, I assume this is the case).
Sorry I missed that part, your suggestion is definitely a very good one and would most probably provide a good balance, Maybe they could implement a feature where it automatically shows you new / important site info, similar to the current notification system that is already present for forum and friends messages.
I have been waiting a long time for this update. The ability to hide specific games in one's profile would have been much appreciated though.
Taro94: As I've already said, it's understandable that GOG wants profiles to be displayed by default. I feel a MUCH better solution, which I've already mentioned, too, would be a one-time pop-up window asking the user to make their decision on privacy settings. These could still default to max privacy, but only until the first login (since the feature's introduction), at which point every user would have to make their mind on the issue.
Having a pop up window like that would very good idea to make sure everyone is informed, as long as the default setting is max privacy so your info isn't made public without your knowledge just becuase you don't log in for a period of time.
DarthTrethon: I don't quite understand what you mean by adding profiles....we already have profiles
We do? Where? If you're talking about some Galaxy feature, GOG ≠ Galaxy.
DarthTrethon: I don't quite understand what you mean by adding profiles....we already have profiles
plagren: We do? Where? If you're talking about some Galaxy feature, GOG ≠ Galaxy.
Well you quoted my post....a post I was only capable of posting by having a GOG profile....and you can literally scroll over anyone's name and the option to "invite to friends" will appear. So none of what they're talking about makes any sense whatsoever.....what "profiles" are they adding that we don't already have?
DarthTrethon: Well you quoted my post....a post I was only capable of posting by having a GOG profile....and you can literally scroll over anyone's name and the option to "invite to friends" will appear. So none of what they're talking about makes any sense whatsoever.....what "profiles" are they adding that we don't already have?
You have an account, not a profile. The upcoming profile is a page that will let others see your game library and list of friends, for example.
high rated
elcook: So there is a very cool and nice feature coming to GOG - we will be introducing user profiles very, very soon. But I won’t be revealing any details of the feature, as we want you guys to experience it first-hand rather than reading some PR bla-bla. Before it all goes live and will be available for you, we need to deal with all the formalities - launching profiles means adding new privacy settings on our end. We want to give you a heads-up, and that’s why today we’ve introduced the three new privacy settings on your GOG account, all connected to the profiles.

As with all privacy settings, you will find the three new options on your account, under „Orders & Settings” in the Privacy tab. These settings allow you to set visibility for your profile summary (including your recent activity and recently active friends), your games on the profile and your friends on the profile - you can set them to „everyone”, „friends only”, or „only me”. The default settings are - „everyone” for your profile, and „friends only” for both your games and your friends. If you want, you can change those settings already, before we launch with profiles, and of course you can change those settings anytime you want.

Hope you’ll enjoy this new feature when it comes to GOG, and expect an official announcement very soon!
I don't want maximum privacy. Privacy is not a right. That's just double-speak.

Privacy is the baseline. Privacy is the line drawn in the sand that a person dares to cross as an individual. Privacy is not an action, is not the effort.

GOG, those are not privacy settings. Those are "Publicity Settings".

Publicity is an effort, and reputation is earned. Fame is lost without the effort of publicity. It is normal and familiar for publicity to be an effort. The "Publicity Settings" should start at the most minimum publicity level.

I expect minimum publicity because that is what I already have in real life. That lack of publicity is the same for everyone walking around. That is reality. I didn't hire GOG to be my public relations agent. I simply bought a game, and that should not make me a celebrity.

If GOG is going to assume the role of being my public relations agent and promote a public image GOG designed from what little it has observed of me without even getting to know me in person, then I am likely going to disengage from being used as a profiled object.

If GOG is going to add "Publicity Settings" and at the most minimum publicity level, then I am likely to feel respected for letting me make my own decisions about whether GOG is a useful source for my public image.

As for profiles, those are usually made for criminals, serial killers, or online dating. Not necessarily exclusively. Profiles tend to be helpful to law enforcement, marketers, and stalkers. As for profiles being useful for multiplayer game playing, I might want to play a specific game with some people but not with others, so for me it likely would bring unwanted extra attention.

It also makes more sense to me that I reveal information about myself per individual, especially within the context of an understood conversation. Forums stretch that concept a bit, but the forum medium still works much better for discovery and filtering than a mere half-dozen checkboxes or superficial categories like "friends, nemeses, everyone". Consider: either meet in a public place, or someone stands outside your window watching you and then taps on the glass to get your attention? Perhaps if I lived in zoo, the latter experience would feel normal.

Let's get real. They are "Publicity Settings", and they should require engagement rather than being turned on by default, like what is familiar in real life. Privacy should not be relegated as a feature to be discovered by accident after it has been lost.

Or so it seems to me. I'm not trying to sound like I'm declaring universal truths. It's just the sense I've made of the world around me, and what I appreciate and consider respectful. I'm not making demands. I'm just pointing out where I've drawn the line for myself in my life at this point in time.
low rated
rjbuffchix: Access to personal information by default? What is this, Facebook?
I'll probably be criticized for this, but I'm just being honest. I fail to see how this is giving personal information by default? Personal information would be your real name, email, or home address. Anything that can allow one to identify who you are in real life. As far as I am aware, GOG has not stated any of this info will be visible on profile pages.

Your GOG account name or account activity or even game list is not personal information and as I said before these are public accounts.

Even GOG's Privacy Policy even states:

2.2 Specifically, this Privacy Policy governs personal information and non-personal information which we collect from you when you're using GOG services. ("Personal information" means information which, on its own or in combination with other information, can be used to identify you).
And they even tell you how they use information linked to your account like the following:

a) To enable GOG.com functionality that helps you and your friends keep updated about what you’re doing within GOG services, e.g. notifying you and your GOG.com friends about who is playing what games.
They also make it clear these are public profiles and things you do on them may be made publicly available.

Also, any information you post publicly using GOG services (e.g. your public profile) will be publicly available to GOG users and others. We are not responsible for your use of otherwise private personal information, which you make available via GOG services, or the activities of other users or other third parties to whom you give or make available your information.
So it seems to me GOG is clear about their intent, and that some people actually have issues with GOG's overall privacy policy (in which those people should maybe not even use GOG) rather than this particular change.

GOG is even clear that if you don't agree with the privacy policy or any changes they make to it that you should cease using GOG after being notified of said changes:

12.3 If you don't agree to those changes (regardless of whether you email us), then unfortunately we must ask you to cease using GOG services. We're sorry we have to say that, but we hope you'll appreciate that for GOG services to work properly we need to have everyone using it under the same rules instead of different people having different rules. That's why we encourage you to get in contact if you have queries.
Do people actually read these?
Post edited April 19, 2018 by BKGaming
This is a good and long waited for move, GOG. It means that I could finally see whether a friend of mine has a game I'm going to gift or not.

There may be made some improvements or clarifications, though:
1. Describe "activities". Is it buying a game? Is it playing a game? Is it making a forum post? Is it writing a review?
2. The "visibility" checkbox needs rewording. Maybe you should just remove the "nobody can find me" phrase. Let it be "Others can find me etc." with a checkbox, it will be obvious (true and false state). The "nobody can find" with a false state is confusing.

P.S. Just out of curiosity: will you connect GOGcards with Gwent or not?
high rated
Taro94: Most people simply shout "private by default", which would be simply bad for GOG and bad for those who want to make use of these social features.
"Privacy by default" isn't just something meaningless that people shout. It's a specifically meaningful term from the GDPR, which will be required for everything for all EU citizens, come May 25th:
In particular, such measures shall ensure that by default personal data are not made accessible without the individual’s intervention to an indefinite number of natural persons.
The things gog intends to publish on the profile page, such as your "activity" and your "active friends" are both personal data for the purposes of the GDPR.
Taro94: Most people simply shout "private by default", which would be simply bad for GOG and bad for those who want to make use of these social features.
gogtrial34987: "Privacy by default" isn't just something meaningless that people shout. It's a specifically meaningful term from the GDPR, which will be required for everything for all EU citizens, come May 25th:

In particular, such measures shall ensure that by default personal data are not made accessible without the individual’s intervention to an indefinite number of natural persons.
gogtrial34987: The things gog intends to publish on the profile page, such as your "activity" and your "active friends" are both personal data for the purposes of the GDPR.
As BKGaming has pointed out, no personal information is going to be made available to public. That's what I mean by saying that people are overreacting drastically.

Feel free to present evidence to the contrary, but I'm pretty sure your "active friends" and "activity" are not regarded as personal data for the purposes of the GDPR (I admit I'm not wholy knowledgable on this subject, but I'm skeptical about the idea of GOG not being aware of what is and what is not allowed to be displayed without explicit user's consent).