It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
elcook: ...
Thanks for the warning, at least the active forum members could change your settings.
For me it's not acceptable that others determine, whether I provide my private data - even if it's only about my owned games.
GOG should definitely set the defaults to highest privacy.
Besides that:
Can we get rid of those annoying friends suggestions, please.
I don't want to be suggested to anybody and I don't need any suggestions for random people.
For now I'm going to "unfriend" my "friends", hoping to avoid more suggestions.
BKGaming: These are pretty much the same defaults Steam uses... so if Steam can get away with it in the EU so can GOG. Actually I'm pretty sure Steam shows your friends accounts by default publicly also so GOG is actually better. They can probably get away with it because these are public accounts which you agree to when you create one.
But Steam is an American company with AFAIK no business presence in Europe, or have they? (I'm not sure). While GOG is European company and it's a lot easier to make them liable for breaking European law.
BKGaming: These are pretty much the same defaults Steam uses... so if Steam can get away with it in the EU so can GOG. Actually I'm pretty sure Steam shows your friends accounts by default publicly also so GOG is actually better. They can probably get away with it because these are public accounts which you agree to when you create one.
toxicTom: But Steam is an American company with AFAIK no business presence in Europe, or have they? (I'm not sure). While GOG is European company and it's a lot easier to make them liable for breaking European law.
They have offices in Luxemburg.
Post edited April 18, 2018 by mechmouse
toxicTom: But Steam is an American company with AFAIK no business presence in Europe, or have they? (I'm not sure). While GOG is European company and it's a lot easier to make them liable for breaking European law.
I don't know if they have any offices, etc in the EU but the market to EU clearly (they have language options, etc) which means they are responsible for following the EU laws and can be held responsible if they do breach them. Steam has been sued before outside of America.
BKGaming: Am I the only one that thinks the checkbox is weirdly placed compared the rest of the settings?

https://i.imgur.com/81NZRTA.jpg
You're not.

Also, when unticked, it says "Nobody can find me"... So I assumed ticking it would hide me. Not exactly intuitive, is it?
BKGaming: Am I the only one that thinks the checkbox is weirdly placed compared the rest of the settings?

https://i.imgur.com/81NZRTA.jpg
plagren: You're not.

Also, when unticked, it says "Nobody can find me"... So I assumed ticking it would hide me. Not exactly intuitive, is it?
this "nobody can find" me checkbox is not very well explained. I, too, would like to know how this option works.
was this option there before?
low rated
deleted
I guess this wish can now be marked as in progress or completed?

https://www.gog.com/wishlist/galaxy/profiles
plagren: You're not.

bhrigu: this "nobody can find" me checkbox is not very well explained. I, too, would like to know how this option works.
was this option there before?
If checked people can search for you on GOG using your account name or email. If unchecked they can't. Friends suggestions will also be tied into this, so if you have unchecked it you shouldn't be included in friend suggestions. It's currently bugged though.
Post edited April 18, 2018 by BKGaming
BKGaming: [...] It's currently bugged though.
Don't worry they will have this fixed "Very Soon".
BKGaming: ... If unchecked they can't. Friends suggestions will also be tied into this, so if you have unchecked it you shouldn't be included in friend suggestions....
Are you sure?
I had that always unchecked, but am pestered with random friends suggestions.
I find it even worse that my account is suggested to random people.
gixgox: Are you sure?
I had that always unchecked, but am pestered with random friends suggestions.
I find it even worse that my account is suggested to random people.
Did you miss the part where I said it was bugged? Meaning it is suppose to work that way but currently doesn't. Venom confirmed this in the Galaxy thread, said it will be fixed soon.
I hope there will be an option to change your name. At least the name that shows up when playing a game via GoG (= Gwent in my case).
high rated
mechmouse: BLUES THIS IS VERY BAD

Please read up on GDPR and get this fixed ASAP
nightcraw1er.488: It is the reason it is being brought in now, same as why Facebook want to push the facial recognition through now, before GDPR comes in.
The GDPR doesn't have any exceptions for existing systems, so any company which operates on that principle is going to be in for a very rude awakening. (This is why there's been an entire two years to transition to the new reality, so companies would've had enough time to change existing systems to comply.)

And yes, as others have said, setting defaults to "everyone" or "only friends" rather than "only me" on first glance appears to very much be against the "privacy by design" requirement from the GDPR, which is a requirement entirely separate from needing a legal basis to even process personal data at all (legitimate need or informed consent or ...)

Still, kudos for gog to at least announce this in this manner before rolling it out.
Post edited April 18, 2018 by gogtrial34987
elcook: We will be talking about it in the official announcement of the feature on the main page, when it goes live. This is just a heads up for you, the most dedicated ones, who hang out here in the forums. You guys and gals are also the most sensitive for such changes, hence the forum post to let you know earlier.
Thank you for this!

This is obviously another move to be more like Steam; whether or not that is a bad thing depends on each person's view of course. As somebody else suggested, to me there are more important things to focus on like making sure games get their patches on par with Steam, but - also to me - this is still neat.
Post edited April 18, 2018 by tfishell
Thanks for the heads up.

I understand why some people would prefer not to change this manually to hide their profile, but then this would be the first online community I visit that doesn't have public display as default. If you implement profiles or other social tools, you will want people to see them.

(Disclaimer: based on anecdotical experience, I am not too active online)