It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Activity Feed • Gameplay Stats • Personalization

UPDATE: We've added a new option to the Privacy settings in GOG Profiles - from now on you can turn off your profile on GOG entirely, so no one can see any kind of information that is shown on the profile page. This also means that when you turn off your profile, you won’t be visible on your friends’ friends lists, even if they decide to keep their profiles visible.
The option to enable/disable your GOG Profile can be found in your account „Privacy & Settings” options, under „Privacy” tab.

We just introduced a new feature on GOG.COM: User Profiles – a social way to share what you and your friends are up to. See what your friends on GOG are playing, achieving, and sharing across four sections – Feed, Profile, Games and Friends.

Your Feed is the centerpiece of your Profile. Here, you’ll see which games your friends have been playing, all sorts of achievements and milestones, as well as general thoughts, screenshots, and forum activity. You can dispense your approval at whim and share your own stuff as well!

Your Profile is all about you and your gaming accomplishments. It's a summary of your activity, like the time you've spent in your games , your latest achievements (and just how rare they are among other users), as well as a glimpse at what your most active friends have been up to.

If you want to know more about your Games, you need to hit the the third tab. It contains a list of all the games you own on GOG, together with stats like time spent in-game and your progress towards unlocking the achievements. Sort the list, compare stats with your friends, and get some healthy competition going.

Finally – your Friends: get a general summary of their achievements and hours played. Here you'll also see which games are the most popular among your friends right now, so you can join them in multiplayer or find something you might enjoy yourself.

Of course, your profile comes with some sweet personalization options, choose a wallpaper from your game collection and share a few words with the world.

User Profiles are available for all GOG.COM users. Your personal gameplay stats like achievements, time played and milestones depend on GOG Galaxy, but if you’re not using the optional client you can still use the feed, post in it and interact with your friends.

Launching profiles also means adding new privacy settings on our end. You'll find three new Privacy options in your account's „Privacy & settings” area. These settings allow you to set the visibility for your profile summary, your games, your friends, etc.
So what are you waiting for? There's so much room for activities!
low rated
Tauto: ... Sure.I understand the privacy bit,but people need to be realistic.
Trilarion: You mean we should have seen it coming with the installers that try to sneak in Galaxy and everything else in the past? Maybe.

But these profiles are just not what I want. I'm here for playing games and for having a nice discussions with others. I really don't want to be part of a social network of some sort.

In order to get what I want to have to make my voice heard. I have to complain with GOG because unfortunately they have lost the spirit of their early days by now and the only thing that changes things with GOG is threatening them to lose a customer. So that's what I'm doing. In a way, it's like in politics. You have to sound credible if you are making threats. I have to sound credibly angry or nothing will change. In fact, this recent move was one too much and I'm really angry at GOG now.

Was this a realistic estimation of what is happening also with the others in this thread?
To be honest with you,your anger is wasted as I believe nothing will change.Galaxy is here to stay and soon to take command of Gog and everything else and there is zilch that anyone can do to stop it.It's a sign of the times......Great song also.
Tauto: Well,I get a lot of friend invites and I delete straight away and never look back.It's really easy.
lostwolfe: and that's fine.

though you're sort of missing the point. i /mostly/ come to gog to buy games. socializing is a sort of dim secondary activity, and i will do so on the forums. there are a handful of people that i know in real life who i am ok with talking to through gog, but - if you'll pardon my bluntness - most of you are just a group of folks on the internet that i have no real attachment to [though, of course, we share an affinity for drm-free games.]

bearing all that in mind, i will reach out to the people i am interested in talking to on my own terms [typically not through gog.] we will eventually meet up here if we have some gaming to do together, but that will be a mutually agreed upon conversation that we will have together.

just being here and just having random friend requests isn't something i want.
Yep,my sentiments too.
Post edited April 25, 2018 by Tauto
high rated
oh good grief.

haha.

every time i look a little deeper, something else dumb shows up about the new profile.

dear gog.

i don't really want you to autopost to my feed whenever something happens in a game i'm playing.

love, lostwolfe.
high rated
Love this new feature. How can I change my relationship status?
high rated
Galamid: Love this new feature. How can I change my relationship status?
and you should totally add where you went to school. :P
By not playing games, having an acne wash, and getting a good income.
high rated
Trilarion: I think that it's just none of your or anyone else business. That's it. Do I have to say more? In my eyes, displaying any personal information without prior consent is just something that one doesn't do.

Of course, I guess that other people have a more relaxed attitude toward it. People have different opinions.
Tauto: Sure.I understand the privacy bit,but people need to be realistic.
Just seeing the number of games allows other people to, for instance, spy on how many games other people buy between some time period. You can even write scripts that alert you every time someone's game count changes.

Is this a real problem?
Yes and no.

No, it probably doesn't lead to any great scale disasters anywhere.

But yes, it allows other people to stalk information, and that information could be used for harmful purposes.

To give you an example, User X complains about something that GOG does in the future, let's say one of those much debated "buy more, pay less" promos. User Y doesn't agree with this, and resorts to personal attacks against User X. As game number is public information, User Y can see exactly when User X buys games here. User Y can then use this information against User X's reputation, for instance:
- "you haven't even bought a single game here in n months..."
- "you call this a bad promo, but still bought a game yesterday..."
etc.

Also, for those who use same usernames in other places, this allows other people to stalk how many games those users have here. This may have undesirable consequences, depending on the context.
nightcraw1er.488: By not playing games, having an acne wash, and getting a good income.
So helpful. And judging by your 1158 games alone I'd say your quite the pussy slayer, too.

Friend request sent.
nightcraw1er.488: By not playing games, having an acne wash, and getting a good income.
Galamid: So helpful. And judging by your 1158 games alone I'd say your quite the pussy slayer, too.

Friend request sent.
They called me the butcher I was into so much flesh.
Galamid: So helpful. And judging by your 1158 games alone I'd say your quite the pussy slayer, too.

Friend request sent.
I got quite a few games, but yet manage to have some decent relation with the other sex.
I guess is what you do with the time you don't play games that counts.
About privacy, why telemetry, even for single player and no-InDev games?

Friend request sent.
He could also just be wealthy enough to buy a lot of those just to support GOG and have not even played half of them? :)

To be honest, I've not even installed a lot of my GOG (or Steam) games, but many were *dirt* cheap "maybe one day" buys, ones I bought but didn't like, or ones I already own the originals or bought on another platform, but wanted to show support for them being resold anyway.

But this does prove IMO that making this sort of stuff public is just all negative, as far as I can see.
lostwolfe: i don't really want you to autopost to my feed whenever something happens in a game i'm playing.
I guess the only way we'll get GOG to sway is when thousands of users deinstall Galaxy. :)

That would make my feed so much less crowded also. There's just a handful of friends who use Galaxy and they just... dominate the shit out of my feed.
Post edited April 25, 2018 by Vainamoinen
high rated
This "situation" is really becoming more and more embarassing for gog.com. I have opened a support ticket two days ago (and I am sure I'm not the only one) but have not received an answer until now.

The feature request
https://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/disable_view_profile_function_for_customers_who_care_for_their_privacy
has now more than 300 votes (thank you!) but nobody at gog seems to care.

The forum thread has almost 1000 posts, most of them from users who want their privacy enforced or at least an option to have it restored.

Dear gog, I am sure that some of your staff are silently reading what's going on here, don't you think that after 48 hours it is time to come out of hiding and let us have a statement if not an apology? Together with your intentions and information about your next steps and how you will either temporary remove profiles to bring them back later with updated privacy settings or just insert another option into our account settings to provide privacy settings for those who want them?

And don't forget: in a month from now new enforced privacy and data protection laws come into effect... the guys from Brussels will have a field day tearing your website apart if you do not care about publishing customer's data without their consent.
high rated
Huinehtar: About privacy, why telemetry, even for single player and no-InDev games?
Because they can gather data. Most people will defend anything they do.
RainbowDragon: I have opened a support ticket two days ago (and I am sure I'm not the only one) but have not received an answer until now.
Ditto. Silence on all channels.
Post edited April 25, 2018 by mk47at
low rated
sjgm_: It might not be the most desirable thing, but it's cute and works. And the most important thng: it's optional.
Greenlynx: No it's not if we still have information shared with the world with no way to hide it.
You can hide almost anything. Stating that GOG is now a threat to privacy is nonsense, when you are using browsers, OS, apps and multiple services that pose a real threat to you privacy. Come on really, addressing GOG with this is almost bullying.