It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Activity Feed • Gameplay Stats • Personalization

UPDATE: We've added a new option to the Privacy settings in GOG Profiles - from now on you can turn off your profile on GOG entirely, so no one can see any kind of information that is shown on the profile page. This also means that when you turn off your profile, you won’t be visible on your friends’ friends lists, even if they decide to keep their profiles visible.
The option to enable/disable your GOG Profile can be found in your account „Privacy & Settings” options, under „Privacy” tab.

We just introduced a new feature on GOG.COM: User Profiles – a social way to share what you and your friends are up to. See what your friends on GOG are playing, achieving, and sharing across four sections – Feed, Profile, Games and Friends.

Your Feed is the centerpiece of your Profile. Here, you’ll see which games your friends have been playing, all sorts of achievements and milestones, as well as general thoughts, screenshots, and forum activity. You can dispense your approval at whim and share your own stuff as well!

Your Profile is all about you and your gaming accomplishments. It's a summary of your activity, like the time you've spent in your games , your latest achievements (and just how rare they are among other users), as well as a glimpse at what your most active friends have been up to.

If you want to know more about your Games, you need to hit the the third tab. It contains a list of all the games you own on GOG, together with stats like time spent in-game and your progress towards unlocking the achievements. Sort the list, compare stats with your friends, and get some healthy competition going.

Finally – your Friends: get a general summary of their achievements and hours played. Here you'll also see which games are the most popular among your friends right now, so you can join them in multiplayer or find something you might enjoy yourself.

Of course, your profile comes with some sweet personalization options, choose a wallpaper from your game collection and share a few words with the world.

User Profiles are available for all GOG.COM users. Your personal gameplay stats like achievements, time played and milestones depend on GOG Galaxy, but if you’re not using the optional client you can still use the feed, post in it and interact with your friends.

Launching profiles also means adding new privacy settings on our end. You'll find three new Privacy options in your account's „Privacy & settings” area. These settings allow you to set the visibility for your profile summary, your games, your friends, etc.
So what are you waiting for? There's so much room for activities!
high rated
Uilos: ...
drealmer7: I think I've become aware that a 'friend' of mine thinks I don't want to do anything with her because she keeps sending me invites to events on facebook and I just ignore them because for me, if I want to actually invite a person to an event that I am also going to, I talk to them like a person, and this other way of doing things just seems wrong on a fundamental level and I won't participate. Now, if one of the events looked like something I REALLY wanted to go to regardless of if the other person were going or not, I might contact them and be like "that looks cool, I'm thinking of going, want to coordinate going together?"
Exactly! Those "mass-invites" via Facebook and similar seems to me more like if they just want a bunch of random acquaintances to come but couldn't care less if you're one of them or not. If I wanted to spend time with my friends I'd just ask them personally instead.

I don't have Facebook myself but a friend recently told me a friend of hers became angry at her for not knowing an important thing going on in her life, that she actually hadn't told my friend about at all, and my friend said "but you haven't told me anything about that so I didn't know" and her friend said that she had posted it on Facebook so my friend SHOULD know...

---

I'm not against Profile pages, I just want to be in charge of what goes on them and what doesn't. I like having background pictures and picking colours. I don't like spying on my friends and family, and I don't want others to spy on me.

Do I dare play a naughty game if my family is on GOG? Do I dare play an old silly rather bad game in case anyone I know will see and perhaps tease me later? What if I know someone online that I don't want to have any contact with anymore, and suddenly they happen upon my RL friends here and see me in their friend's list and start talking to them not saying who they are?

Please give us full control of our own privacy (even on other people's pages) and our profile pages. It will hurt people to NOT have better privacy but it won't hurt anyone to have better privacy, so please!
Some will not care and therefore won't get hurt by having better privacy. Some just want to choose what to share and therefore will also be happy with more privacy and control, and some unlucky people will meet stalkers and other mean people and they'd be happier if they were better protected. So having more privacy is a win/win. The only people who will get hurt by others having more privacy is stalkers and other criminals :)
low rated
It in kind of funny really, in a way, people complaining here about profiles being public and people over at Steam are complaining about profile features being to private now and about them killing SteamSpy. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Had GOG made profiles private with a popup or banner, they probably would still have gotten a lot complaints (just probably not all at one time), "Hey GOG why the hell are you bugging me about changing profile settings." or "Hey GOG why the hell is stuff private, it's a waste of time time for me to have to manually change this... just make it all public who cares about keeping game data private.", etc. etc.
Post edited April 25, 2018 by BKGaming
Thanks GOG for the work you've done, I appreciate it. Of course it should be optional 100%
high rated
BKGaming: It in kind of funny really, in a way, people complaining here about profiles being public and people over at Steam are complaining about profile features being to private now and about them killing SteamSpy. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Had GOG made profiles private with a popup or banner, they probably would still have gotten a lot complaints (just probably not all at one time), "Hey GOG why the hell are you bugging me about changing profile settings." or "Hey GOG why the hell is stuff private, it's a waste of time time for me to have to manually change this... just make it all public who cares about keeping game data private.", etc. etc.
I think it's kind of based on how much people associate their personal identities with their online profiles.

I waaaay over-generalizing here, but people who don't have a wide and varied life in the real world (perhaps young, still in school, no job/family responsibilities so lots of free time for games and a lot of friends who are similar) might have a very strong overlap between their personal identities and their online profiles. In fact, the latter may be part of how they define who they are as they are figuring themselves out. So public profile is *very* important, because that's the basis by which they interact with their friends in the real world and online.

On the other hand, there are people who like gaming, but have other priorities in life and treat it as a pasttime leisure activity. Their primary interest may lie elsewhere, whether in business, family, community, social issues, whatever. So their personal identities are not defined by their gaming profiles (or other online activities) and the latter may actually affect their real-world interests.

So it's not damned if you do, damned if you don't, it's: not everybody is exactly the same just because they like to play computer games - they don't necessarily get the same enjoyment from the same aspects of gaming. Some like single-player, some like multi.

The beauty of humanity is its variety, not its homogeneity. Forcing the latter on people always leads to trouble in some way or another.
Post edited April 25, 2018 by triplett
high rated
Let's put it this way :

Some people like to be able to enter a bookshop without having inscribed on their back or on their forehead how many books they've bought there and how many pages they've read.

The day it will become mandatory, some customers will growl, no matter how many times asked "why they feel they have something to hide".
high rated
triplett: ...
I find that distinction between "customer persona" and "social persona" very insightful and thought-provoking. Also what you wrote about the different age groups and levels of involvement/distinction.

Have to hit the sack now - but thanks for sharing your thoughts.
low rated
triplett: So it's not damned if you do, damned if you don't, it's: not everybody is exactly the same just because they like to play computer games - they don't necessarily get the same enjoyment from the same aspects of gaming. Some like single-player, some like multi.
I was talking about from a company point of view. You are probably correct if talking from a consumer point of view. It is a damn if you do and damn if don't to the companies involved though. Valve get's more serious about user privacy and they face backlash for it which is not to different than here, and GOG doesn't take privacy seriously enough (according to some user here) and now they too face backlash.
Post edited April 25, 2018 by BKGaming
high rated
Telika: Let's put it this way :

Some people like to be able to enter a bookshop without having inscribed on their back or on their forehead how many books they've bought there and how many pages they've read.

The day it will become mandatory, some customers will growl, no matter how many times asked "why they feel they have something to hide".
Precisely. Imagine the day when your grocery store, pharmacy/chemist etc. have screens that list what you have purchased and what you like the most when you walk in so other people can see. Imagine that they periodically flash your 'profile' on the screen for shoppers to see when you aren't even there, or that people can enter your name/id in a terminal and get a general description of what you typically prefer, how often you shop, when etc.

All very innocent - why hide this information? It can't possibly affect your relationship with family, friends, neighbors, employer, health insurance company, the salesman on the phone trying to sell you steak ("I don't eat much meat, so not interested". But he knows you buy a steak every other day because of your public by default grocery profile, so he tries harder to sell you more.)

Information is power. Control your information or become more powerless. Simple as that.
high rated
Telika: Let's put it this way :

triplett: Precisely. Imagine the day when your grocery store, pharmacy/chemist etc. have screens that list what you have purchased and what you like the most when you walk in so other people can see. Imagine that they periodically flash your 'profile' on the screen for shoppers to see when you aren't even there, or that people can enter your name/id in a terminal and get a general description of what you typically prefer, how often you shop, when etc.
One day when I went to a store that sells groceries, clothes, kitchen stuff and stuff for your house, and I went to the wall where you place the card to get a scanner (most larger grocery stores have them here so that you can scan your own stuff so you can pack it all in bags while shopping and pay without anyone having to sit and scan all your stuff. it's completely optional though) and as I did so a big screen suddenly showed my full name so everyone in the whole area could see. I stopped shopping there until it was changed quite soon after. Now it just says "Welcome".
Post edited April 25, 2018 by Uilos
high rated
Uilos: One day when I went to a store that sells groceries, clothes, kitchen stuff and stuff for your house, and I went to the wall where you place the card to get a scanner (most larger grocery stores have them here so that you can scan your own stuff so you can pack it all in bags while shopping and pay without anyone having to sit and scan all your stuff. it's completely optional though) and as I did so a big screen suddenly showed my full name so everyone in the whole area could see. I stopped shopping there until it was changed quite soon after. Now it just says "Welcome".
Holy fuck... that's creepy. Hope GOG switches to "WELCOME" to for people who want that. Actually it should be the default.
Tauto: Everyone sing along!

Never ending storrrrrrrrrey.....
Let me help you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf1WT8VEZxk
I like it, a lot. I do have suggestions, though most of it will probably already be on the "to do" list anyway.

1) Revitalize the chat feature. The status dumping reminds me too much of Facebook and I can't stand that. Thread style even with the current character limits would be way better. I mean, it is our profiles, right? I wouldn't mind one bit the style change clogging some space.
2) More customization options. The lacking feature of Steam, unless you buy games and forge stuff, which requires $$$, but even then it is pretty lackluster.
3) Favorite Game Feature Badge. Just something neat you could do that players could show off their current or all time favorite game. It could just be the icon of the game, anything.

Just some thoughts. Overall, when I saw the announcement I was excited, though mostly because anything new for GOG means great things for the site and customers (and potential for new customers). I'm of course still waiting for that Linux Galaxy client, but I'm grateful for the cool new feature! Keep up the great work! :)
low rated
Tauto: Everyone sing along!

Never ending storrrrrrrrrey.....
toxicTom: Let me help you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf1WT8VEZxk
Thats the one! Thankyou.
Dorzalty: I like it, a lot. I do have suggestions, though most of it will probably already be on the "to do" list anyway.

1) Revitalize the chat feature. The status dumping reminds me too much of Facebook and I can't stand that. Thread style even with the current character limits would be way better. I mean, it is our profiles, right? I wouldn't mind one bit the style change clogging some space.
2) More customization options. The lacking feature of Steam, unless you buy games and forge stuff, which requires $$$, but even then it is pretty lackluster.
3) Favorite Game Feature Badge. Just something neat you could do that players could show off their current or all time favorite game. It could just be the icon of the game, anything.

Just some thoughts. Overall, when I saw the announcement I was excited, though mostly because anything new for GOG means great things for the site and customers (and potential for new customers). I'm of course still waiting for that Linux Galaxy client, but I'm grateful for the cool new feature! Keep up the great work! :)
If you want you can write your suggestions in this thread that BKGaming created specifically for suggestions and bugs report:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/profile_feedback_general_suggestions_bugs/page1
high rated
The next logical step is for GOG to start "monetizing" all this information.

After all, they are a for-profit company, and we have long surrendered all our right to privacy via the EULA, whether we liked the change to it or not.

Tired of all the "I told you so"s voiced over the years on similar topics. People bloody never learn.