It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The JRPG Days are not over yet!
You've been playing Zwei: The Arges Adventure and Legrand Legacy: Tale of the Fatebounds while snagging genre classics on the cheap from our jRPG Days sale. Now it's time to take a look behind the scenes: team leader Ken Berry and localization producer Thomas Lipschultz have taken some time to chat with us about how XSEED handles the release and localization of their beloved JRPG series.
The interview is broken down into two parts, for convenience. Stay tuned for Part 2 tomorrow, January 30.

So, let's start with a quick year in review – from your professional point of view, has 2017 been good to Japanese games in the West?

Ken: Yes, I would say that 2017 has been a very good year for Japanese games in the West. The obvious big winner is Nintendo with their extremely successful launch of the Switch, as I remember some Japanese executives being concerned whether the idea of one machine being both a home console and a portable machine could succeed in North America where public transportation is not nearly as prevalent as Japan.
The PC platform also continues to get more support from the Japanese gaming industry. Not only are you seeing more instances of simultaneous PC launches with the console release, but they seem to be gradually accepting the idea of DRM-free on PC as well, which had always been a huge challenge in the past because they would often mistakenly equate “DRM-free” to “free.”

A lot can be said about different sensibilities in Japan vs. the West. In the past year, maybe more than ever, sexuality, sexualization, and consent, are talked about in mainstream Western culture – taboos are being broken and lines being drawn. Has this had an impact on your approach and your work?

Tom: As a company, I think it’s definitely made us stop and take stock of a game’s content a lot earlier in the process than ever before, so we know well in advance whether there will be any potentially problematic content, and can prepare ourselves to deal with that content as production ramps up.
For me specifically, it’s been kind of an inner struggle, as I think a lot of people are aware that I have a personal zero-tolerance policy for censorship in video games, along with a fairly broad definition of what constitutes censorship (for me, it consists of any content changes made not out of legal or contractual necessity, but solely in an attempt to avoid offending or upsetting members of the target audience). Despite this, I do fully understand that from a business standpoint – and even from a moral standpoint – it’s always best to avoid upsetting your fans, because obviously, an upset fan is not going to remain a fan for very long, and signing off on upsetting or troublesome language or imagery is never something anyone wants to do!
The problem I have, though, is that I truly do consider video games – ALL video games – to be art, and just as it wouldn’t feel right to me if someone painted over offensive material in a painting, edited out offensive material in a book, or cut offensive material from a film, I don’t want to see anyone (least of all us) editing out offensive material in games. My thought is, if it’s that offensive, then we probably shouldn’t be releasing the game at all – though that’s obviously not always a realistic option.
Recently, however, with all the news that’s come out about systemic sexual harassment and abuse in Hollywood and elsewhere, as well as the issues being faced by the LGBTQ community in this modern political climate, it’s become much harder to justify maintaining a zero-tolerance approach – and with a lot of Japanese games starting to really push the boundaries of “good taste” more and more, the looming threat of censorship has become much larger and more imposing than ever, and certainly more of a beast to fight on multiple levels. And it’s really not a battle I WANT to fight – I’d rather just localize games that everybody can enjoy!
I still hold firm in my belief, however, that if we want video games to be classified as an art form on par with books, films, and paintings, we need to maintain zero tolerance for censorship in localization, no matter how offensive the content we’re localizing may be. And if there’s any positive to be gained by doing so, it’s that the presence of offensive content in localized titles will spark much-needed discussion about those topics, and hopefully lead to a dialogue on the state of the industry in Japan, possibly even resulting in creators being a little more cognizant of people outside their tight-knit circle of acquaintances when designing new titles from here on out.
But for the immediate future, I believe content alteration will occur a little more often in the West than it has before (hopefully not by us, but regrettably, that isn’t outside the realm of possibility!), while little else will change for the industry overseas. My solace lies in the thought that we’ll just keep getting more games like the Zwei titles to work on: superb examples of classic action JRPG design with content that’s often snarky and a little mischievous, but never crosses the line into offensive territory, and thus isn’t at any risk of being toned down in localization. Those remain a joy to work on, and the more games of that sort I’m given, the less worried I’ll be about censorship moving forward.

The titles. We need to talk about the game titles...
What is it that makes Japanese naming conventions so different? How do you approach localizing a game's title, and what does it take to make it work in the West?

Tom: I don’t think most Japanese naming conventions are all that different, honestly, save for the fact that they’re usually much longer than the names we tend to see here (with subtitles on top of subtitles, e.g. “Corpse Party: BloodCovered: …Repeated Fear”). Which, I believe, is mostly attributable to some general differences in the way games are advertised in Japan, with more text meaning a bigger poster on the wall and more space allotted to discuss the game in print… not to mention the ability to strike a pose and rattle off a long name, looking and sounding kind of dorkily awesome in the process!
In the Western world, though, we’re definitely all about succinct naming: something short and to the point, that rolls off the tongue, with one or two words being the ideal. Especially if it’s unique enough to be Googlable! We want the name to be easy to remember so that prospective fans can always find information on it at a moment’s notice, even if they haven’t heard anyone talking about the game for quite some time.
I assume you’re speaking more in terms of translations, though (“Sen no Kiseki” → “Trails of Cold Steel”), as well as the rare addition of subtitles (“Zwei!!” → “Zwei: The Arges Adventure”). In the former case, the goal is to come up with something that remains relatively true to the original Japanese but still sounds snappy and natural in English, with bonus points for picking a name that perfectly fits the tone and content of the game (as “Trails of Cold Steel” most definitely does).
And in the latter case, we were really just trying to avoid drawing attention to the fact that we were releasing “Zwei II” before “Zwei” – a luxury afforded us by the fact that the two games tell standalone stories, and necessitated by the fact that Zwei II was finished and ready for release quite a bit sooner. We considered numerous possible subtitles for both games, but ultimately chose “The Ilvard Insurrection” for Zwei II because… well, it preserved the acronym, “Zwei:II”!
We attempted something similar with the first game, but despite our best attempts, we couldn’t come up with any viable names that would form the acronyms ONE, EINS, or even WAN, nor any single-word subtitles beginning with the letter I. We settled on AA to preserve the double lettering of Ilvard Insurrection, and because A is the first letter of the alphabet… and also because the first Zwei is a pretty tough game, so we anticipated a lot of people would be saying “AAAAAA” when playing it!
Post edited January 29, 2018 by maladr0Id
TarathielTorosir: Ya know I thought Finland had lots of snow, so you tended to build men out of it, but I guess you grew up on a farm in the warmer regions because you are exceedingly adept at constructing strawmen of such colossal size that they can be seen in Sweden.
I fail to see the strawmen in my comment. Why is it -necessary- to have Japanese honorifics in games that are set in Japan? How exactly does it make it different from, say, a fictional setting? You also have games that are set in Japan but the game doesn't have honorifics like Yakuza. In fact, it only had honorifics in 1 and afterwards they were dropped only to be brought back in 0 because, as far as I know, it's Atlus handling those localisations now. But the truth is that they added NOTHING to it. If the sight of Japanese honorifics is the only way to determine how characters treat / see eachother as then the writers aren't doing that good of a job at carrying that notion.
Friends – I love that we got to have this conversation, with Tom no less. And it's kind of amazing of him to be here and talk with things getting pretty heated.

But quit slinging insults at each other, okay?
If you haven't seen our Code of Conduct, it's very nice, please take it to heart: https://support.gog.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001814049-Forum-Code-of-Conduct

Stay frosty
Post edited January 31, 2018 by Konrad
Konrad: Friends – I love that we got to have this conversation, with Tom no less. And it's kind of amazing of him to be here and talk with things getting pretty heated.

If you haven't seen our Code of Conduct, it's very nice, please take it to heart: https://support.gog.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001814049-Forum-Code-of-Conduct

Stay frosty
i know, right?
Thanks for the interview, because of this i have to be wary of XSEED and continue with "will it come to the west uncensored" which is really sad because i grew up in the 90's when parents wanted games like Duke nukem and Doom banned and Jurno's(not anymore} and gamers stood up for developers right to express themselves.

Senran kagura being one my favorite guilty pleasures in the hands of a publisher who saids the developers should think before putting something in, quite concerning.

still better then NISA and Treehouse.
Either way the fault lies in anglo-unitedstatian moralism and hypocrisy.

Konrad is this insulting to you or in this way am I allowed to say it? Just asking. Remember I am a customer who payed many euros.

Also, I do not have anything to add.
Konrad: Friends – I love that we got to have this conversation, with Tom no less. And it's kind of amazing of him to be here and talk with things getting pretty heated.

Stay frosty
About time you showed up! My feelers are deeply offended and you can be sure that my LOLyer is going to hear about it!
Post edited January 31, 2018 by richlind33
bluewave256: Konrad is this insulting to you or in this way am I allowed to say it? Just asking. Remember I am a customer who payed many euros.
Make sure you read and understand the Code of Conduct, remember the human, use your best judgment and you'll be okay. You've got this. By the way – it won't do anything if you pay more Euros. I mean you're welcome to try... but it won't.
bluewave256: Konrad is this insulting to you or in this way am I allowed to say it? Just asking. Remember I am a customer who payed many euros.
Konrad: Make sure you read and understand the Code of Conduct, remember the human, use your best judgment and you'll be okay. You've got this. By the way – it won't do anything if you pay more Euros. I mean you're welcome to try... but it won't.
I am asking if here staff is willing to curtail the games someone paid for because of something someone said.
I am more than capable of respecting the code of conduct.
Konrad: Make sure you read and understand the Code of Conduct, remember the human, use your best judgment and you'll be okay. You've got this. By the way – it won't do anything if you pay more Euros. I mean you're welcome to try... but it won't.
bluewave256: I am asking if here staff is willing to curtail the games someone paid for because of something someone said.
I don’t think it’s ever come to that. We can just restrict forum access, temporarily or permanently. That usually solves the problem.
bluewave256: I am asking if here staff is willing to curtail the games someone paid for because of something someone said.
Konrad: I don’t think it’s ever come to that. We can just restrict forum access, temporarily or permanently. That usually solves the problem.
Thanks for the information.
Looks like Xseed is over. It's pretty clear they want to sanitize and censor games while convincing everyone that they are totally against it....
dtgreene: What about when dead characters participate in cutscenes? In Final Fantasy 5, if you wait until after a certain event to go to a certain inn (doing so isn't hard because the game provides you with items that let you sleep outside, as well as other ways of restoring MP), a character who is actually dead (as in, actually plot dead) will participate in a cutscene.
kohlrak: Maybe, but i'm a bit more focused on Final Fantasy I.
But are there no cutscenes in FF1? I mean, there were certainly no video, but there were a few scripted sequences were for heroes talked to NPC and to each other. And sometimes these scenes were after a battle in which some of them could be KO'ed. Or am I remember this incorrectly?
Mordeth_Kai: Looks like Xseed is over. It's pretty clear they want to sanitize and censor games while convincing everyone that they are totally against it....
I think that problem is not the censorship itself, it's how hollistic is your approach.

If you don't want to tackle with issues about sex, for example, you can make the game that doesn't feature romance at all. But if your story has romantic relationships and these ralationships go certain ways than you shouldn't changed that just because someone in US said that your views on sex are wrong.
Post edited February 02, 2018 by LootHunter
kohlrak: Maybe, but i'm a bit more focused on Final Fantasy I.
LootHunter: But are there no cutscenes in FF1? I mean, there were certainly no video, but there were a few scripted sequences were for heroes talked to NPC and to each other. And sometimes these scenes were after a battle in which some of them could be KO'ed. Or am I remember this incorrectly?
Oh, you remember correctly, which was my point. i was specifying buildings and caves were censored in FF1, and somehow it turned into cutscenes in other final fantasies. Me, with my ADHD, was trying to keep the point about final fantasy focused.
Post edited February 02, 2018 by kohlrak
bluekamikaze: But you're advocating for self censorship in Japan how is this helping games be art when the artist aren't free to create what they want. I'm honestly very disappointed you feel that way. This kind of thinking leads to the intolerance we have today rather than trying to learn to live and let live which is what needs to happen.
wyrdwad: I am most assuredly not advocating self-censorship! If someone really feels the need to include such content in their game, they should always be free to do so.
Literally everything you've said has been a contradiction. You've made multiple comments about wanting Japanese developers to "not want to make that content in the first place". Quite ironic, really.

Just wanted to edit and say, I will never purchase a censored product no matter how tiny.
Post edited February 02, 2018 by Szalor
It's time to learn Japanese.