It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Talking about the challenges and ambitions of sandbox design.

Sandbox games are all about starting small yet dreaming big – turns out this rings true for the developers behind these projects as well. Following a successful Kickstarter, developers Craneballs are looking to turn <span class="bold">Planet Nomads</span> into a complete simulation of an astronaut-scientist with a knack for building custom spaceships and cruising the stars. It's an ambitious project for a crew of thirteen, one that Daniel Maslovsky, Head of Marketing & Community, was more than happy to discuss in a <span class="bold">Twitch Q&amp;A with Outstar</span> two days ago. Today, we've had the chance to sit down and talk about the challenges ahead of the team, and what their plans are moving forward.

If you had to choose one thing that you’re most excited for people to see or do in Planet Nomads, what would that be?
Daniel: There are plenty of biomes that create amazing sceneries, and some encounters will be crazy, but if I were to pick just one thing it would be when you build your first vehicle. For sure. When you get it to work by setting everything correctly, and you take it for a spin, that’s incredibly rewarding. And then your mind starts wondering all those “What if I do that and this little fella here…”, “What if I build the suspensions a bit higher, or build a tank-like rover and hit a tree with it?” Physics and wheel physics are definitely something to explore in Planet Nomads.

Up until now, you've been exclusively in the mobile business. So what made you decide to take on PC gaming?
Daniel: It was a combination of several things. We are old schoolers. While we do play mobile games, we didn’t have them when we were kids and that’s where your most powerful memories come from. We had PCs as kids and it’s always been our dream platform. But we’d been too few to create a fully-fledged PC game at the beginning. Then Unity happened and after Overkill 3 we figured we could use it to make a PC game with (relative) ease. We thought what can we make as a team of 9? So we took what he had - several people playing survival games and one massive sci-fi connoisseur hooked up since childhood on Isaac Asimov, P. K. Dick and the illustrations of Tim White - that’s Kubát, one of our co-founders, and that’s where all the intricate environments come from. Another reason was that one part of our team had grown tired of the F2P model and wanted to design a game that’s all about the game and not microtransactions.

Have you found developing for PC vastly different from developing for mobile? What has that experience been like?
Daniel: Our coders feel like not that much has changed, but we all enjoy the added power and options for more powerful shaders for instance. Graphic artists very much enjoy the added number of available polygons they can use. But certainly the most strikingly different and totally epic was the PC community. When we started a website with a few bullet points and three concept-art screenshots who already started getting a following. That was completely mesmerizing for us as compared to our mobile experience. Then with the first demo of the building people already had pages of well thought-out feedback. They are engaged like crazy. They’ve made the Kickstarter happen, they are watching our Nomadic Journals, commenting on the tiniest details and basically being with us every step of the development. It’s been crazy good and we thank you all, Nomads.

Planet Nomads is a huge, ambitious project which surely faced its share of hurdles. So what development milestone has been the biggest so far for your team?
Daniel: You mean between creating Sandy, our procedural terrain engine, to physics, to wheel physics to getting the actual vision for the game, right? Good share of hurdles indeed. But I can name three major ones. The first one started during Kickstarter already when we switched from a procedurally generated endless plain to actual spherical planets - we had to figure out our own gravity, since with the standard one you’d fall down from the planet the moment you reached the southern hemisphere. Then it was the first alpha - that took three months to make, even though we’d basically had everything ready. Those tiny details of taking your “tech-demo” and turning it to a game are painfully time-consuming. Then we had a third huge milestone of adding survival mode - four months of development, two months of balancing with our Alpha Nomads and counting. Now the launch and planning the next features carefully.

Finally, in terms of Planet Nomads's future in development – what are you looking forward to the most?
Daniel: Space. We will start with flyers, so players can finally enjoy the planet from a bird’s eye perspective and get to places previously unreachable. Then that turns into space-flight, orbital building and traveling between planets. There are plenty of other features to be added, mobile fortresses, modding should be huge and open previously unforeseen possibilities. So generally speaking - we’re looking forward to bringing <span class="bold">Planet Nomads</span> to its full potential.
Post edited May 26, 2017 by maladr0Id
"[...] our team had grown tired of the F2P model and wanted to design a game that’s all about the game and not microtransactions."

While others do the opposite way. Isn't life funny?
tokisto: Isn't life funny?
Eh, it recycles its jokes too much.
tokisto: "[...] our team had grown tired of the F2P model and wanted to design a game that’s all about the game and not microtransactions."

That's an odd thing to say. I've never even once touched a game based around micro transactions because I very much view that business model as an anathema to gaming itself.
tokisto: "[...] our team had grown tired of the F2P model and wanted to design a game that’s all about the game and not microtransactions."

mistermumbles: That's an odd thing to say. I've never even once touched a game based around micro transactions because I very much view that business model as an anathema to gaming itself.
Yep. CDPR and GOG disagree though.
Being a single-player gamer, my main concern with this kind of game is whether or not they will have enough things in it, and things to do, to sustain the single-player expeience. I think The Long Dark and Stranded Deep has done that really well so far. at the same time I want something deeper and more complex than Astroneer and No Man's Sky.
Post edited May 26, 2017 by Ricky_Bobby
Great interview, thank you!

Very nice to hear that developers still get to see and feel how dedicated non-casual gamers can be. If they feel like a game's creators have their heart in it, that they have an idea and a vision that they want to realise, they'll be there to spread the word, give feedback, and support it all the way.

That, definitely a different reaction than the mostly indifferent one to mobile/F2P/microtransaction games, where everybody immediately feels that the top-most goal was how to get people hooked on tapping buttons, watching ads and stay paying. They can still be fun for a while, there are some very good ones that I enjoyed, but usually it lasts at most 1-2 hours, when it starts to become plainly obvious that all the game content and mechanics are exhausted, there'll be no more surprises, and it's just going to be about exponentially increasing the tediousness until you feel you can't get anywhere without paying up. (As a sidenote, Google Play really should allow filtering out any game or app with in-app purchases when you're in the "free" section. Maybe even separate the three, because I'd much rather have a $10+ mobile game that was actually designed as a whole, one-time purchase).

It's not that surprising to hear that developing taht kind of product sucks the soul from developers and designers, too. A lot of them still give it their best, I most recently enjoyed "C.A.T.S." and "Tiny Rails" for a while, which are fun and nicely made. But you just feel how the creative vision of the designers was buried, if not almost killed, by the overruling decisions of the sales department.
Post edited May 26, 2017 by Anamon
Nice interview, thanks :)
GOG.com: Another reason was that one part of our team had grown tired of the F2P model and wanted to design a game that’s all about the game and not microtransactions.
I could imagine it being kind of vindicating to not have to think at every step how to cripple your work for micro-transactions; or to not put something in because it would be "too awesome".
Sounds fun. Looking forward to trying it out.
I'd have liked to have seen them talk about what lessons, if any, they learned from watching the No Man's Sky fiasco play out. Certainly that game and its critical failure has been on their minds.
RawSteelUT: I'd have liked to have seen them talk about what lessons, if any, they learned from watching the No Man's Sky fiasco play out. Certainly that game and its critical failure has been on their minds.
This.

Soon as I saw this game, like many - my first thought was: "How are they going to shake the inevitable comparisons to No Man's Sky, and potential bias some people will likely have for games that on first glance are of a similar nature?"

The game might not be anything like NMS at all on glance 2, 3, or 42, but people are going to look at the screenshot, read a couple of lines of text and think "Hmm, sounds like NMS". It'll be interesting to see if it can break free from that stigma.
Please include custom re-binds!...That is all...
Hopefully they add in multiplayer at a later date so you have the option to play with a bunch of friends.