It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Here in 2020, it seems like there’s at least one or two high-profile military first-person shooters coming out each year, but back in the early 2000s, it was a different scene, one full of military shooters.

You had titles like Call of Duty coming out for the first time and then, in 2005, gamers got the chance to enjoy a squad-based tactical shooter in the form of Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30. To help celebrate the iconic title’s 15th anniversary, we thought it would be fun to look back at the military shooters of the 2000s and, more specifically, what made Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30 unique among so many different options.

World War II games were abundant in the mid-2000s
The 2000s were a huge time for first-person shooters. You had titles like Halo, Soldier of Fortune, and Return to Castle Wolfenstein if you were a sci-fi fan or a fan of quick, action-style shooters, but there were also plenty of realistic military shooters to choose from if that was more your speed.

You had the iconic Call of Duty and Battlefield series’ heating up and in the mid-2000s, plenty of World War II shooters were being released, as well. In addition to Brothers in Arms, you had Call of Duty 2, Day of Defeat, both Medal of Honor: Allied Assault and Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault, and Red Orchestra - all WWII games, all released within four years of each other.

Even with all of the competition, Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30 helped differentiate itself from the crowded playing field.

Brothers in Arms introduced innovative mechanics that helped set itself apart from other shooters of the time
Developed by Gearbox Software (best known for the Borderlands series), Brothers in Arms introduced a realistic military with innovative squad mechanics that helped define the title. The developers even went above and beyond and hired a retired US Army Colonel, John Antal, to consult on some of the title’s more tactical elements. Antal went as far as to train the developers both in the classroom and on the field, and that extra knowledge and understanding can definitely be seen in the final product.

Unlike many military shooters, Gearbox really made the weapons feel realistic for the timeframe. These guns didn’t shoot perfectly, but instead used accurate sights from the era and featured recoil that made shooting the weapons a bit more difficult. Those factors may have made things a little harder, but that increased difficulty also helped make successful missions feel that much more satisfying.

In addition to the realistic feel, Brothers in Arms used a unique squad shooting mechanic that gave missions increased depth and variations for completing the mission. Because your weapons were more difficult to shoot, commanding your squad (typically two other, pre-chosen NPCs) was essential to ensure success through each mission. This would happen in real-time and would be essential to helping you flank enemies to dispatch them efficiently. Even today, Brothers in Arms’ squad-based features are memorable among the large list of military games to release in the 2000s.

Brothers in Arms took a more realistic approach to the story, as well
Along with its realistic shooting and squad mechanics, the story in Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30 felt more realistic than some of the other military shooters to release in the time frame.

Based on a true story, you play as part of the famed 101st Airborne Division as you drop behind military lines on D-Day. Your first mission has you replaying the Battle of Bloody Gulch at Manoir de Donville which was also referred to as Hill 30.

Throughout the game, you assist in various battles and skirmishes that share real-world events. This addition to detail really brings players into the game and, for some, helped it stand out among the plethora of other military shooters. In fact, one reviewer noted that while many of the military shooters at the time felt like classic Hollywood war movies, Brothers in Arms felt more gritty, realistic and modern, like Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers, and that the "authentic and emotional portrayal of war" helped make it a unique experience.

The title was a success and has paved the way for a variety of Brothers in Arms games throughout the years, meaning there is plenty to enjoy past the first title in the series. If you are looking for a military trip down memory lane and squad-based tactics seem like an interesting addition to the classic formula, it’s definitely one worth checking out!

What do you think? Have you ever played Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30? Plan on it now? Let us know in the comments!
op_2019_si: For me Brothers in Arms always reminded me of Star Wars: Republic Commando.
why so? very curious.
op_2019_si: For me Brothers in Arms always reminded me of Star Wars: Republic Commando.
DreamedArtist: why so? very curious.
Well, I mean because of the mechanic "ordering your troops". However I think, that in that regard this was more simpler (is this the right word?) to do in SW: RC.

Don't know. I just had that feeling.
Post edited February 15, 2020 by op_2019_si
Brothers in Arms felt more real due to it's tactical gameplay than Call of Duty and Battlefield. Alas that makes it a more difficult game too. I never managed to progress past the mission called Objective XYZ (if I remember the name well). Getting past a difficult point, then progressing towards the next savepoint and then dying, so I had to do that difficult part all over again that kept me dying several times in a row was very frustrating and I quit. I'm bad at difficult games.
I'm so damn old.

Thanks for reminding :D
GOG.com: Call of Duty (...) Halo (...) Battlefield (...) Call of Duty 2 (...) Day of Defeat (...) Red Orchestra (...) Borderlands
*coughs* Hey, look what you've done...

ps. Brothers in Arms series are great.
Yeshu: It's almost as if you should be patient and not expect the world to revolve around your problems.
zaxe3k: I was patient, waited 5 days--then someone in the company read this and responded to my ticket.
I think the issue is...

... you hijacked a thread and made it about your problems, not the thread topic.

If you want a thread about your issues, make a separate thread, but hijacking a thread isn't warranted.
DreamedArtist: why so? very curious.
op_2019_si: Well, I mean because of the mechanic "ordering your troops". However I think, that in that regard this was more simpler (is this the right word?) to do in SW: RC.

Don't know. I just had that feeling.
fair enough, I get what you are saying with the troop command system, they share that similarity now that I see it haha!

both solid games
I found out that when you add cheese on top of Kraft Dinner it adds a extra layer of suspense that can only be enjoyed by best of us. When adding Cheese to anything you can change reality and things surrounding you and loved ones for minutes at a time, Just think of it for a second.

Lastly if you have a thing for 3 layer cheese noodles you "CAN" add one more layer and this is called tyranium. this is what men dreamed of for years and is now part of your daily dinner dish.

Thanks and enjoy your stay at the GOG forums.
just noticed the game isn't actually on sale :p I think this would have been an appropriate time for a discount on it
tfishell: just noticed the game isn't actually on sale :p I think this would have been an appropriate time for a discount on it
It was on sale until this morning (PST).

The series seems to go on sale often. Hoping to replace my Steam set of the games via GOG next sale. Maybe Spring?
op_2019_si: Well, I mean because of the mechanic "ordering your troops". However I think, that in that regard this was more simpler (is this the right word?) to do in SW: RC.
I kind of disagree. While neither game is terribly complex, after hearing all the praises about being able to command your troops in RC I was quite a bit disappointed when playing the actual thing. Sure, you got a few more commands, but for the most part it restricts the player to a lot of very pre-defined, rigid spots throughout the levels.

In contrast, in BiA I tend to have much more freedom in deciding where I want my troops to go. Also, I get my own death machine, aka a tank, which my troops can use as mobile cover. It's still quite scripted and fairly linear in design, but I definitely get more say in how I go do things along the way.
tfishell: just noticed the game isn't actually on sale :p I think this would have been an appropriate time for a discount on it
It was still on sale at the time when the article was posted.
Post edited February 16, 2020 by Mr.Mumbles
Earned in Blood was probably the game I liked best in the series.
Mr.Mumbles: In contrast, in BiA I tend to have much more freedom in deciding where I want my troops to go.
Yes.

I played Brothers in Arms Hell's Highway a couple of times just prior to COD WWII releasing. When it came out, I had a horrible time. Why? It was just too restrictive. The freedom of movement -- and commanding squad movement -- is great in the BiA games. While there are some situations that funnel movement or make you place squads in particular positions, those IMO seem rare.

Funny, just talking about this game(s) makes me want to play it again... and I've played them all multiple times!
I miss the series. Reading the post and seeing the picture gives me chills and nostalgia.

Ahhh....the the good old days. We made it through hell in the first two games, how do you guys feel about snow?
GOG.com: Here in 2020, it seems like there’s at least one or two high-profile military first-person shooters coming out each year, but back in the early 2000s, it was a different scene, one full of military shooters.

You had titles like Call of Duty coming out for the first time and then, in 2005, gamers got the chance to enjoy a squad-based tactical shooter in the form of Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30. To help celebrate the iconic title’s 15th anniversary, we thought it would be fun to look back at the military shooters of the 2000s and, more specifically, what made Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30 unique among so many different options.

World War II games were abundant in the mid-2000s
The 2000s were a huge time for first-person shooters. You had titles like Halo, Soldier of Fortune, and Return to Castle Wolfenstein if you were a sci-fi fan or a fan of quick, action-style shooters, but there were also plenty of realistic military shooters to choose from if that was more your speed.

You had the iconic Call of Duty and Battlefield series’ heating up and in the mid-2000s, plenty of World War II shooters were being released, as well. In addition to Brothers in Arms, you had Call of Duty 2, Day of Defeat, both Medal of Honor: Allied Assault and Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault, and Red Orchestra - all WWII games, all released within four years of each other.

Even with all of the competition, Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30 helped differentiate itself from the crowded playing field.

Brothers in Arms introduced innovative mechanics that helped set itself apart from other shooters of the time
Developed by Gearbox Software (best known for the Borderlands series), Brothers in Arms introduced a realistic military with innovative squad mechanics that helped define the title. The developers even went above and beyond and hired a retired US Army Colonel, John Antal, to consult on some of the title’s more tactical elements. Antal went as far as to train the developers both in the classroom and on the field, and that extra knowledge and understanding can definitely be seen in the final product.

Unlike many military shooters, Gearbox really made the weapons feel realistic for the timeframe. These guns didn’t shoot perfectly, but instead used accurate sights from the era and featured recoil that made shooting the weapons a bit more difficult. Those factors may have made things a little harder, but that increased difficulty also helped make successful missions feel that much more satisfying.

In addition to the realistic feel, Brothers in Arms used a unique squad shooting mechanic that gave missions increased depth and variations for completing the mission. Because your weapons were more difficult to shoot, commanding your squad (typically two other, pre-chosen NPCs) was essential to ensure success through each mission. This would happen in real-time and would be essential to helping you flank enemies to dispatch them efficiently. Even today, Brothers in Arms’ squad-based features are memorable among the large list of military games to release in the 2000s.

Brothers in Arms took a more realistic approach to the story, as well
Along with its realistic shooting and squad mechanics, the story in Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30 felt more realistic than some of the other military shooters to release in the time frame.

Based on a true story, you play as part of the famed 101st Airborne Division as you drop behind military lines on D-Day. Your first mission has you replaying the Battle of Bloody Gulch at Manoir de Donville which was also referred to as Hill 30.

Throughout the game, you assist in various battles and skirmishes that share real-world events. This addition to detail really brings players into the game and, for some, helped it stand out among the plethora of other military shooters. In fact, one reviewer noted that while many of the military shooters at the time felt like classic Hollywood war movies, Brothers in Arms felt more gritty, realistic and modern, like Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers, and that the "authentic and emotional portrayal of war" helped make it a unique experience.

The title was a success and has paved the way for a variety of Brothers in Arms games throughout the years, meaning there is plenty to enjoy past the first title in the series. If you are looking for a military trip down memory lane and squad-based tactics seem like an interesting addition to the classic formula, it’s definitely one worth checking out!

What do you think? Have you ever played Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30? Plan on it now? Let us know in the comments!
A true legend of war games. The human perspective of the game made it bright among others. 15 Years, well deserved homenage
Post edited February 17, 2020 by Ermordung