It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

ktchong: Why doesn't GOG have Cardinal Quest? I already have game collections spread over accounts in GOG, Steam, Humble Bundle, IndieGala. I don't really want to add two more accounts (IndieGameStand and Desura.) This is getting ridiculous. Too many accounts.
Cardinal quest is too small for GOG. Literally. Maybe if GOG had a $1.99 price point...
I think this is going to be the first IGS game I pass on. I'm just not at all interested in Cardinal Quest.
Meh ... already got that game twice, and it's not very good. It's a simple, unbalanced, 8 level deep mini roguelike with very little actual content.
ktchong: Why doesn't GOG have Cardinal Quest? I already have game collections spread over accounts in GOG, Steam, Humble Bundle, IndieGala. I don't really want to add two more accounts (IndieGameStand and Desura.) This is getting ridiculous. Too many accounts.
Cardinal Quest really isn't good enough for GOG. I'd be surprised and disappointed if it was released here.
Ok, last night I found something that bothers me a bit. I sent an email to support about it:
Hi, I was just wondering if you could clear up a bit of confusion I'm having. On the front page you say that the versions of the games downloaded directly from this site are DRM-free. The following article appears to contradict this though:

http://indiegamestand.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/112197-what-if-my-game-has-it-s-own-custom-key-or-registr

It says that a one time activation is fine. Whatever people's opinions on what DRM is acceptable or not, online activation is definitely DRM which means that the pieces of information contradict each other.
One of them needs change really, otherwise DRM-free is just being used as a meaningless buzz word. Sorry to be so pedantic, but I'm now concerned that one day I'll buy a game I thought to be DRM-free and it'll have activation.

Thanks,
_______ (SirPrimalform)
What do you guys think, am I misreading it? I wouldn't have posted this here if I'd got a satisfactory response. I'll post that in a bit if the general consensus was that my confusion was reasonable.
Bump.
Yeah, DRM-free needs to mean DRM-free, and any kind of registration or activation is absolutely DRM.

This is good to know; I'll be wary of buying anything from Indie Game Stand now.

(I'm glad that Digital Eel have always had a DRM-free policy for their games, so I won't have mislead anyone by recommending "Brainpipe".)
Post edited October 21, 2012 by Shadowcat
This deal is almost over.

Hint for the next one via twitter:

"Our next game is currently in Alpha for Mac & PC"

This almost rule out Steam and GOG this time, not many alphas on either service.

(apparently there are 4 more hints coming)
amok: ...
Any opinion of what I see as their dodgy interpretation of DRM-free?

EDIT:

Their reply to my email:
Many developers use their own key system with an installer to activate a product. This is not DRM that is used in games like Mass Effect 3 where every time you boot the game it dials home and checks your credentials. These are one-time activations with installers or for multiplayer content that use custom developer generated keys. That article is for developers to let them know that our system is compatible with custom game key systems.
It seems to me that he's saying online activation at install time isn't DRM if it's the developer's own and not Securom or something.
Post edited October 23, 2012 by SirPrimalform
Haven't bought this Cardinal Quest thing yet, should I? Can anyone recommend it?
amok: ...
SirPrimalform: Any opinion of what I see as their dodgy interpretation of DRM-free?
activation is a form of DRM, its easy enough. And as with all types of DRM it can be unobtrusive (one time activation, unlimited installs) to very intrusive (activation limits, one time code not renewable, calls home each time etc). It is slightly false to say games with some form of activation is DRM free.

However, I will do as I do with all games I buy - be careful and investigate a little. If the DRM is draconian and obtrusive I will skip, if it is non-existent or unobtrusive then it will not bother me and I might get. Simple code activation will not bother me. Bottom line is that I never really trust any retailers anyway, I always check myself first - after all their job is to get your money.

That's my view, at least.
Licurg: Haven't bought this Cardinal Quest thing yet, should I? Can anyone recommend it?
I don't know. I haven't heard good things about it. Personally, I'm going to skip this one. If the next IGS game is good enough, maybe I'll bundle it for $10.
Licurg: Haven't bought this Cardinal Quest thing yet, should I? Can anyone recommend it?
deanemj: I don't know. I haven't heard good things about it. Personally, I'm going to skip this one. If the next IGS game is good enough, maybe I'll bundle it for $10.
Well, the thing has been rated nearly 800 times on GG. So i guess lots of people did buy(from there).
Eh, I bought it. I never got the game in a bundle so why not...
If you want a fairly short rougelike game that seems to be designed for beginners to the genre, then yes. I personally thought it was too easy but still kind of fun. It had some interesting mechanics.