It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The ups the downs, and brutal takedowns of mining in space.

<span class="bold">Descent: Underground</span>, the thrilling return of the first-person space shooter with six degrees of freedom, is now available, DRM-free on GOG.com, with GOG Galaxy support for cross-play multiplayer and a 50% launch discount.

The legendary Descent is back and it takes you deep underground! Built on Unreal Engine 4 and improving upon the intoxicating flight mechanics of the originals, it brings the fight to the most perilous corners of space, where only the bravest or most desperate pilots venture in search of lucrative mining opportunities. Customize your ship and team up with friends for some fast-paced arcade action, spinning and swerving freely through twisting corridors as you gun down your opponents.
Descendant Studios, the people committed to bringing back this beloved franchise, are planning on adding a slew of neat features throughout the In Development stage: more ship types, weapons, and gadgets, more ways to interact with your environment, single player story missions, and tons of other cool additions.

Jump into your agile spaceship, calibrate your blasters, and dive into <span class="bold">Descent: Underground</span>, DRM-free on GOG.com.
The 50% discount will last until January 21, 1:59 PM UTC.

Note: This game is currently in development. See the <span class="bold">FAQ</span> to learn more about games in development, and check out the forums to find more information and to stay in touch with the community.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/qbSChGuH7dI
Post edited December 21, 2016 by maladr0Id
BKGaming: You're wasting your time, some will bitch about this no matter how much logic you use....
I should've listened to you.
hummer010: I should've listened to you.
I use to do the same, but some people will always contribute DRM and other such nonsense to everything they dislike. Best to just let them wallow in self-pity until they either come to acceptance or fade away because life is to short to argue over this crap.
New build is coming too.

Since we launched today, we are actually in the final testing stages of a new build for deployment - so have fun, and get ready some new game play items....and a holiday message from the devs.

WM
DaDakota: New build is coming too.

Since we launched today, we are actually in the final testing stages of a new build for deployment - so have fun, and get ready some new game play items....and a holiday message from the devs.

WM
Is this the build I got from steam yesterday? Or is it something newer. I don't run steam too often, so this could have been an older update for sure.
DaDakota: New build is coming too.

WM
hummer010: Is this the build I got from steam yesterday? Or is it something newer. I don't run steam too often, so this could have been an older update for sure.
It will be a brand new one - released tomorrow it is with our testing group now, should have the Scrambler and Sentinel gadgets and an energy syphon for the warlock.

WM
Pixley: Regarding availability of the Linux version here on GOG:

GOG Galaxy is our means of >>>>>>>>>>>online authentication<<<<<<<<<<<for copies sold here, but Galaxy isn't on Linux yet. We didn't feel that it'd be fair to sell a no-online version to Linux folks, so we're holding back for the time being.
So DRM is normal here too by now?
Nobody seems to care. oO
Post edited December 22, 2016 by Klumpen0815
Klumpen0815: So DRM is normal here too by now?
Nobody seems to care. oO
You act like this is something new? There has always been some form of authentication for online multiplayer even before Galaxy. Time to stop thinking otherwise. Nobody cares because most are fine with it or at the very least accept it.
Post edited December 22, 2016 by BKGaming
Klumpen0815: So DRM is normal here too by now?
Nobody seems to care. oO
BKGaming: You act like this is something new? There has always been some form of authentication for online play even before Galaxy. Time to stop thinking otherwise. Nobody cares because most are fine with it or at the very least accept it.
Making exceptions for multiplayer when it comes to DRM is so wrong and putting DRM into any part of a game sold here makes the whole official point of this site "false advertising".
IAmSinistar: That's gorgeous! Hopefully they also incorporate more modern thinking on the 3D controls, like games such as Retrovirus have done.

Any chance of a demo?
Pixley: The default controls were absolutely laid out with modern sensibilities in mind. WASD with Q&E for roll (as an extension of "lean" in games like FEAR) and Space and LCtrl for vertical movement (as an extension of jump and crouch). Of course, these are all fully configurable, so, if these aren't quite optimum for you, they can be changed.

As for a demo, we're planning on putting one out a little before the full release.

---

For those of you asking about the original Descent games, those are outside of Descendent Studios' control. We do not own the Descent franchise, we merely license it. They were removed from sale due to circumstances purely external to us.
Thanks for the explanation on both subjects!
Klumpen0815: Making exceptions for multiplayer when it comes to DRM is so wrong and putting DRM into any part of a game sold here makes the whole official point of this site "false advertising".
Well where your wrong is most of us don't consider it DRM, also until there is a legal definition of what is and isn't DRM Free, GOG is free to advertise it however they want. Good luck proving "false advertising" until you successfully prove what DRM is. Hint: It's pretty much impossible because everyone has their own view of DRM.

Otherwise as I said above it's not worth arguing over. GOG has always had cd keys or 3rd party accounts for multiplayer almost since they started, this is nothing new and a little late to complain.

I use to do the same, but some people will always contribute DRM and other such nonsense to everything they dislike. Best to just let them wallow in self-pity until they either come to acceptance or fade away because life is to short to argue over this crap.
There's probably something you can do with Galaxy in WIne to have it run a Linux binary. It would take a little poking around, because just running the binary from the Wine console doesn't do it, and it's probably unsupported and will break randomly.

Edit:
A little messier for the end user, the GOG client could open a local network connection for the Linux version of $insert_game_here to connect to. That wouldn't depend on any unsupported Wine features.
Post edited December 22, 2016 by ALaggyGrunt
Klumpen0815: Making exceptions for multiplayer when it comes to DRM is so wrong and putting DRM into any part of a game sold here makes the whole official point of this site "false advertising".
BKGaming: Well where your wrong is most of us don't consider it DRM, also until there is a legal definition of what is and isn't DRM Free, GOG is free to advertise it however they want. Good luck proving "false advertising" until you successfully prove what DRM is. Hint: It's pretty much impossible because everyone has their own view of DRM.

Otherwise as I said above it's not worth arguing over. GOG has always had cd keys or 3rd party accounts for multiplayer almost since they started, this is nothing new and a little late to complain.

BKGaming:
Sure, it's already not perfect so why not just add another mandatory client in between?
No problem, the last few complainers will eventually fade away anyway and the majority will swallow yet another Steam/Origin/UPlay/WinLive without difficulty and will eventually believe that DRM-free multiplayer never existed.
Post edited December 22, 2016 by Klumpen0815
Pixley: GOG Galaxy is our means of online authentication for copies sold here, but Galaxy isn't on Linux yet. We didn't feel that it'd be fair to sell a no-online version to Linux folks, so we're holding back for the time being.
ValamirCleaver: "Online authentication" for a game being sold on a retailer that prides it self on only selling DRM-free games? Anyone else see what seems wrong with this picture?...
(the rethorical "you" in following post is not referring to the gog user i'm quoting, actually)

online authentification, on a drm free store... THROUGH a software client claimed to be OPTIONAL... (and that is still, for good reasons, in beta state)

how far can you push the joke even further please ?
oh wait... it was a serious speech from the devs ?

maybe you mixed up your PR communication with the one you intended for Steam, i guess, because you are basically describing how Steam works...
now 2 things:

1) could you take a moment to read back the whole definition of concepts such as "drm free" and "optional" ?

2) if you want to sell steam drm, well, don't you think people who are HERE instead of being on Steam are here for a good reason maybe ? try an educated guess ! or you simply spit on us and take us for dumb fools ?
Smannesman: Hmm so if authentication and Galaxy is required for multiplayer I guess there's no LAN play or the option to run your own server?
when was the last time you saw a game developper bothering about coding a plain good old TCP/IP local/online stack for a game ?
(btw, local or lan tcp/ip can turn into online multiplayer with vpn functions between trusted consenting players)
Tauto: That is a TALL story nowadays.Too many companies are using this ploy to spy on people and combat piracy but it's mostly the former.And why? Very simple thing called advertising,money for all except the poor unsuspecting buyer.
hummer010: How do you propose to track online stats and achievements without some form authentication?
anonymous data collection, OPT-IN fully disclosed feature...
impossible ?
well, check darkest dungeon, it has something like that
Post edited December 22, 2016 by Djaron
Maybe we should continue the DRM discusion in another thread? It's a pretty relevant debate, but I feel that it more like a larger, (Galaxy) issue, not something that concerns this game specifically.
Klumpen0815: Sure, it's already not perfect so why not just add another mandatory client in between?
No problem, the last few complainers will eventually fade away anyway and the majority will swallow yet another Steam/Origin/UPlay/WinLive without difficulty and will eventually believe that DRM-free multiplayer never existed.
For online play only... which in itself makes Galaxy much better than every platform you just said. DRM free multiplayer (if you want to call it that) is a pipe dream that was never realistic for GOG in order to successfully compete with Steam, etc.

It's pretty clear where GOG is headed, either people will accept that or they won't. What is the point of complaining? GOG has already made it's plans well known as well as how they view DRM. The only point I can give you is they should clearly label that when they say DRM free they specially are referring to the offline single player on the home page, but that is my opinion.

“I think soon the whole discussion about DRM will be irrelevant anyway,” CD Projekt CEO Marcin Iwiński told me at the end of our interview. “Even today, the importance of DRM is way smaller than it was a few years ago. Games are rich in online functionalities, which—if done well—add great value to the experience and pirating becomes irrelevant. Quite often [piracy] just makes no sense, as you miss out on the core social/community part of the experience.”
http://www.pcgamer.com/the-state-of-pc-piracy-in-2016/