It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

So I finally got the card. Installed it (after an arduous correction of technical issues such as drivers failing to install) My brother set it up. And I tested it on one of my demanding games, Crysis 3. And oh man it plays MUCH better at high settings. It feels so good to play it at max while still having a high framerate :)

So far everything seems alright...until I played Crysis 1 (The First Game) So I tested out Crysis 1 on max its even performs better than before. The Framerate is perfect and graphics at ultra. But as I was playing the game something unfortunate happened. And this happened 2 times and I was playing Crysis 1 when it happened. All of a sudden my computer shuts down and restarts (and it took me the "Start Windows Normally?" part) and when it came back the desktop resolution is low. As if my driver is not installed. I shut down the computer (as in Shut down and turn on not restart) and now its back to normal with the 970 installed?

Because this happened 2 times and I was playing Crysis 1 I believe its a problem with Crysis 1. I take it that game is not that well optimized for future cards?

Is there any fix for this because if not than bummer I loved that game I even have Crysis Warhead and now I think it might have the same problem?
While I can't say for sure, I doubt the drivers crashed cause of Crysis, could have been the wrong game at the wrong time. Have you tried to update / reinstall the drivers?
Elmofongo: So I finally got the card. Installed it (after an arduous correction of technical issues such as drivers failing to install) My brother set it up. And I tested it on one of my demanding games, Crysis 3. And oh man it plays MUCH better at high settings. It feels so good to play it at max while still having a high framerate :)

So far everything seems alright...until I played Crysis 1 (The First Game) So I tested out Crysis 1 on max its even performs better than before. The Framerate is perfect and graphics at ultra. But as I was playing the game something unfortunate happened. And this happened 2 times and I was playing Crysis 1 when it happened. All of a sudden my computer shuts down and restarts (and it took me the "Start Windows Normally?" part) and when it came back the desktop resolution is low. As if my driver is not installed. I shut down the computer (as in Shut down and turn on not restart) and now its back to normal with the 970 installed?

Because this happened 2 times and I was playing Crysis 1 I believe its a problem with Crysis 1. I take it that game is not that well optimized for future cards?

Is there any fix for this because if not than bummer I loved that game I even have Crysis Warhead and now I think it might have the same problem?
Just woke up with no coffee yet, but it kinda sounds like power or less likely a heat issue and the computer's shutting down to protect itself. It's a place to start anyways.
Elmofongo: So I finally got the card. Installed it (after an arduous correction of technical issues such as drivers failing to install) My brother set it up. And I tested it on one of my demanding games, Crysis 3. And oh man it plays MUCH better at high settings. It feels so good to play it at max while still having a high framerate :)

fracturedsanity: Just woke up with no coffee yet, but it kinda sounds like power or less likely a heat issue and the computer's shutting down to protect itself. It's a place to start anyways.
I have played other games for a good number of hours like Heroes of the Storm and nothing happened. Crysis 3 was alright so far. I accomplsihed one mission and no crash.
Ganni1987: While I can't say for sure, I doubt the drivers crashed cause of Crysis, could have been the wrong game at the wrong time. Have you tried to update / reinstall the drivers?
I assume my brother did all he did when he installed my drivers, etc.

And also my Computer did not overheat or anything.
Post edited April 17, 2015 by Elmofongo
fracturedsanity: Just woke up with no coffee yet, but it kinda sounds like power or less likely a heat issue and the computer's shutting down to protect itself. It's a place to start anyways.
I agree, it could be a power supply issue as sudden restarts are mostly attributed to lack of proper distribution.

It could be that your PSU was fine for the old GPU but with this new one you should check if the Power Supply is capable of providing the required watts for the GTX 970 to function properly. First check with other GPU intensive games for a prolonged period of time and see if its also restarting when playing them.
I've had cards do that exact thing only when running certain games or benchmarks. It does sound like a power draw or heat issue or maybe possible faulty hardware (in my cases it was heat and faulty hardware). Crysis 1 might just be making the card work harder than 3 and triggering the problem. If you're not, try playing it with vsync on so the card doesn't work so hard and see if it still shuts down.
Post edited April 17, 2015 by MikeMaximus
How much does a GTX 970 cost ?
One thing you could try is setting the GPU fan speed manually, I've recently acquired a 960 and the fans don't turn on before reaching a certain temperature, not sure why they designed them this way but I don't like my GPU reaching 66 degrees. Setting the fans to 33-40% speed keeps it at 40 degrees which is much better than 66 and less heat overall in my case.
ne_zavarj: How much does a GTX 970 cost ?
Around $300 in Newegg.com:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=GTX%20970&N=-1&isNodeId=1
If you have Half life 2 test there, furmark too. The power issue would probably show in Crysis 3. If the previous gpu was AMD then reinstalling Windows is an option.
BlackDawn: If you have Half life 2 test there, furmark too. The power issue would probably show in Crysis 3. If the previous gpu was AMD then reinstalling Windows is an option.
No my previous card was an Nvidia 650 and it was pre-installed when I bought this Desktop.
0_0 more than my one month's salary
I've seen machines suddenly shut down without warning because the GPU overheated. Have you checked whether all your fans actually spin?
That's why - as a Hungarian - you earn money in a different country and spend it in Hungary! :D
Wishbone: I've seen machines suddenly shut down without warning because the GPU overheated. Have you checked whether all your fans actually spin?
I actually had a BSOD earlier and I dunno why but I highly doubt the GPU problem on my end. Also from one GTX 970 user to another: you can do ULTRA GTAV @1080p but it'll use 3700 of that 4 GB RAM. 720p is lower (if you don't wanna go into the lower ranged RAM) RAM usage by about 400 MB ish everything ultra but what can utilize nvidia suppourt