It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

MarkoH01: That is simply not true. I've received many patches for several games on humble (at least updated versions). It's also not true that Humble mainly sells Steam stuff only. My humble library prooves otherwise.
Vainamoinen: If you have bought all available games through Humble, and you find that more than 50% don't give you a Steam key, your library indeed "prooves otherwise". In any other case it actually doesn't.

I've yet to see Humble issue a single patch for Dreamfall Chapters instead of exchanging all the files, every time. They're not fit for that. They don't have the technical infrastructure. They don't know the first thing about video games.
As I said before it may be that they offer more Steam Keys than DRM-free games but calling them a simple key reseller imo is too extreme. Regarding the update situation: yes, they just offer the newest updated version instead of a patch but still the new version will be uploaded there as well. One time I asked the specifically for an updated version of a game and they delivered just a week or so later.
Post edited October 09, 2015 by MarkoH01
agylardi: When did that happened ? I didn't realize that...
SirPrimalform: http://blog.humblebundle.com/post/66129939468/you-spoke-we-listened
Ah, you about THAT...yes, i know about that thing. They probably think "better reselelrs to attract more peoples in Humble, then nothing"
agylardi: When did that happened ? I didn't realize that...
muntdefems: After Humble went full "fuck-our-foundational-principles-and-let's-do-big-AAA-and-Steam-and-Origin-only-bundles", some big publisher must have complained about how easy was to give away Steam keys included in bundles (or worse still, re-sell them) and they changed the Steam-key-redeeming system, so IIRC instead of directly giving the alphanumeric key to you, you had to input the Steam handle of whomever you wanted to gift the game to and it would appear on his/her Steam account.

After some time, they did a complete turn around and went back to the old system which is still in place today. I don't remember why did they do it, but I seem to remember there was a specific reason behind it.
Notice, that if your game purchased in STORE or in WIDGET you still cannot "gift" Steam key anyway.
Redfern: Yes, overall quality of Humble service started to deteriorate quickly as they allowed more games in store and stuff.Getting game updates is totally up to developer and it looks like most (but not all) prefer to forget about it until they get on sale again...
ktchong: The majority of people (myself included) buy Humble bundles for the Steam keys. I have never downloaded anything from the Humble Bundles website.

Steam lets people buy from other websites and redeem the games on Steam to expand its market shares - and it works. The more I buy from Humble Bundles, Green Man Gaming, GamersGate and other sites that sell Steam keys for cheap, the more I am likely to buy from Steam, and the more I prefer Steam. Nowadays I play - and own - over 90 percent of my games on Steam. ALL of my favorite games from the past couple years are on Steam: Tomb Raider 2013, XCOM: Enemy Within, South Park, etc.
Glad for you, but kinda dont understand that are you doing on GOG then...
Post edited October 09, 2015 by Redfern
Vainamoinen: And let's not talk about game patches. Which we don't need to anyway, because Humble doesn't know what that is.
MarkoH01: That is simply not true. I've received many patches for several games on humble (at least updated versions). It's also not true that Humble mainly sells Steam stuff only. My humble library prooves otherwise.
As i mentioned previously, its up to developers to provide updates. There is a lot of pretty responsible gamemakes which keep their games updated and even adds some stuff after release, like Retro City Rampage and there is developers which tends to forget about customers right after sale, like Positech with Gratuitous Space Battles - binaries in humble was updated during bundle sale, short time after and again - on weekly sale.
I contacted some of developers and they apologized and updated their games when i noticed version mismatch. Some didnt responded (i didnt say who, but they have also same title on GOG).
BTW, if developer sells its game in its site using Humble Widget - you probably will have updated build no matter was it store or bundle purchase in Humble, since that means that developer keeps its eye on Humble.
On other side, if you got game on some random Weekly sale or something and its not added to Store, at least - you may be out of luck. Developer\Distributor may just forget about it.
Redfern: Notice, that if your game purchased in STORE or in WIDGET you still cannot "gift" Steam key anyway.
You're right if by "gifting" you're referring to that little present-shaped icon that gives you a Humble URL to give away upon being pressed. There is no such icon in store and widget purchases. BUT, in those cases you can still click the Steam-logo-shaped icon on the left and, after an email verification, you will be provided with an actual Steam code which you can do as you please with.
This is the way Steam-code gifting used to work before the Humble blog post linked by SirPrimalform, and this is the way it works again now -along with that other mechanism that lets you gift games through Humble itself (and thus I guess it also provides DRM-free builds to the gift recipient, if available).

Redfern: BTW, if developer sells its game in its site using Humble Widget - you probably will have updated build no matter was it store or bundle purchase in Humble, since that means that developer keeps its eye on Humble.
On other side, if you got game on some random Weekly sale or something and its not added to Store, at least - you may be out of luck. Developer\Distributor may just forget about it.
Yeah, I guess this is a pretty accurate overview of what you can expect when buying a DRM-free game on Humble. Which brings me to something I've never understood: how can there be so many games available via a Humble Widget but not through the Humble Store? The way I understand it Humble takes a much lower cut on games sold on widgets, so one would expect them to put everything on the store to maximize their profits. Maybe it's the respective devs that don't want to be featured on the store? Strange...
Post edited October 09, 2015 by muntdefems
Redfern: Notice, that if your game purchased in STORE or in WIDGET you still cannot "gift" Steam key anyway.
You cannot GIFT it but you can still give away the key since it is not automatically linked to your Steam account as it was before.

Edit: Ninja'd
Post edited October 09, 2015 by MarkoH01
Redfern: Glad for you, but kinda dont understand that are you doing on GOG then...
I was initially drawn here by Fallout 2, Baldur's Gate, Jagged Alliance and Heroes of Might and Magic III (which were hard to find) when GOG was the only place that had them. That was about five years ago. I actually bought games from GOG first before I joined Steam - i.e., I was reluctant to buy digital games and I only bought games in physical medium . I bought my first digital games on GOG, which then led me to to buying from Steam. Since then, I've moved more and more towards Steam for a few reasons. Here are some of them:

1. GOG is too slow in acquiring titles. When GOG acquires titles, most likely I already have them on Steam. If I already own a game on Steam, I am more inclined to buy the sequel or future season/episodes on Steam as well - because I want to keep the series together at the same place.

Examples: when GOG started selling TellTale's The Walking Dead Seasons 1/ 2 and Game of Thrones, I had already bought - and completed - them on Steam. When the next season of The Walking Dead or Game of Thrones comes out, I will most likely buy it on Steam as well - because I want to keep the series together at one place. I have the same situation with Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition and Van Helsing: I already got them on Steam when GOG started selling them.

2. The second problem is related to the previous one: for those same games, the discounts on GOG are not as deep as those on Steam/Green Man Gaming/GamersGate/Humble Bundles. For me, that creates a big problem for GOG. I think I bought The Walking Dead at 80-percent on Steam/Green Man Gaming/GamersGate, and Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition at 66%/75% off at Steam.

If I already owned a title on Steam, the only way I would reconsider "re-buying" it on GOG is if GOG has HUGE discount: at 75% off, at the very least, before I would consider. Honestly, now I am leaning towards minimum 80% discount - because I do already have them on Steam. Yet, for those games the discounts on GOG have not been as deep as the discounts for Steam. I have not seen GOG cut 75% or 80% for The Walking Dead and Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition. 50% or 60% just does not cut it when I already have the games on Steam.

The Walking Dead Season 3 and a new Baldur's Game is coming out soon - and because I already own the previous games on Steam, I am also more likely to buy the sequel/preque/mid-quel on Steam as well. IMO, if GOG wants my future business for the sequel/mid-quel, it should offer a HUGE discounts for the previous games to get me to "migrate" from Steam - i.e., a special discount for people who already own the games on Steam.

3. The big selling point of GOG is that a game is "DRM free". Here is a surprise that Steam does not advertise: many games on Steam are DRM free as well. If a game is DRM free on GOG and Steam has it, it is most likely DRM free on Steam as well. I've recently discovered that the Steam versions of Fallout 1/2, Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition, The Walking Dead are actually DRM free. (Honestly though, DRM is really not a big issue for me. The most important thing is that the game works and runs fine, and the DRM does not breaks/ruins it or causes any problem with the game.)

4. I play games from Steam as well as GOG. However, since I started buying digital about five years ago, all of the best games I've played - my "top" games - are on Steam: Tomb Raider 2013, XCOM: Enemy Within, Batman: Arkham City, South Park: The Stick of Truth, and a few others. Those are the games that I absolutely love, and GOG does not have them. Which has made me more likely to look into Steam games - because I know I am more likely to find a game that I really, really love on Steam.

I know there are people who are GOG fanatics/fanboys who refuse to buy from Steam. Honestly, I play games, not GOG. If a place offers good games that I love at low prices that I love, then it has my business. I am pragmatic like that.
Post edited October 09, 2015 by ktchong
muntdefems: You're right if by "gifting" you're referring to that little present-shaped icon that gives you a Humble URL to give away upon being pressed. There is no such icon in store and widget purchases. BUT, in those cases you can still click the Steam-logo-shaped icon on the left and, after an email verification, you will be provided with an actual Steam code which you can do as you please with.
This is the way Steam-code gifting used to work before the Humble blog post linked by SirPrimalform, and this is the way it works again now -along with that other mechanism that lets you gift games through Humble itself (and thus I guess it also provides DRM-free builds to the gift recipient, if available).

Hmm, as non-steam user i dunno about it. I always imagined that in case of store purchases you need to link you account to steam and you can only redeem key to that account since you not going to see it in plain form.
Yes, in older Widget purchases there was actual plain codes displayed, but i had idea that now only way to "gift" Store\Widget purchase is to actually give away purchase page completely. Correct me if i wrong.

Redfern: BTW, if developer sells its game in its site using Humble Widget - you probably will have updated build no matter was it store or bundle purchase in Humble, since that means that developer keeps its eye on Humble.
muntdefems: Yeah, I guess this is a pretty accurate overview of what you can expect when buying a DRM-free game on Humble. Which brings me to something I've never understood: how can there be so many games available via a Humble Widget but not through the Humble Store? The way I understand it Humble takes a much lower cut on games sold on widgets, so one would expect them to put everything on the store to maximize their profits. Maybe it's the respective devs that don't want to be featured on the store? Strange...
Well, while traveling in humble support articles i stumbled on "Store submitting form" for game developers. From that i have read i thing migrating from Widget to Store is absolutely not automatic. Developer have to fill out form, provide url to Widget if he have it and sign papers lately. So, since its legal case i think Humble cannot force developers to get their games in store (and lose some of share %) against its will.
Redfern: Well, while traveling in humble support articles i stumbled on "Store submitting form" for game developers. From that i have read i thing migrating from Widget to Store is absolutely not automatic. Developer have to fill out form, provide url to Widget if he have it and sign papers lately. So, since its legal case i think Humble cannot force developers to get their games in store (and lose some of share %) against its will.
That makes quite sense, thank you. I'm surprised the humble guys at Humble haven't already changed the rules so they can do it, no matter the devs' opinion...

MarkoH01: You cannot GIFT it but you can still give away the key since it is not automatically linked to your Steam account as it was before.

Don't be ashamed. You managed to put in a single sentence what took me two paragraphs to express. :P
Redfern: Glad for you, but kinda dont understand that are you doing on GOG then...
ktchong: I was initially drawn here by Fallout 2, Baldur's Gate, Jagged Alliance and Heroes of Might and Magic III (which were hard to find) when GOG was the only place that had them. That was about five years ago. I actually bought games from GOG first before I joined Steam - i.e., I was reluctant to buy digital games and I only bought games in physical medium . I bought my first digital games on GOG, which then led me to to buying from Steam. Since then, I've moved more and more towards Steam for a few reasons. Here are some of them:

1. GOG is too slow in acquiring titles. When GOG acquires titles, most likely I already have them on Steam. If I already own a game on Steam, I am more inclined to buy the sequel or future season/episodes on Steam as well - because I want to keep the series together at the same place.

Examples: when GOG started selling TellTale's The Walking Dead Seasons 1/ 2 and Game of Thrones, I had already bought - and completed - them on Steam. When the next season of The Walking Dead or Game of Thrones comes out, I will most likely buy it on Steam as well - because I want to keep the series together at one place. I have the same situation with Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition and Van Helsing: I already got them on Steam when GOG started selling them.

2. The second problem is related to the previous one: for those same games, the discounts on GOG are not as deep as those on Steam/Green Man Gaming/GamersGate/Humble Bundles. For me, that creates a big problem for GOG. I think I bought The Walking Dead at 80-percent on Steam/Green Man Gaming/GamersGate, and Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition at 66%/75% off at Steam.

If I already owned a title on Steam, the only way I would reconsider "re-buying" it on GOG is if GOG has HUGE discount: at 75% off, at the very least, before I would consider. Honestly, now I am leaning towards minimum 80% discount - because I do already have them on Steam. Yet, for those games the discounts on GOG have not been as deep as the discounts for Steam. I have not seen GOG cut 75% or 80% for The Walking Dead and Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition. 50% or 60% just does not cut it when I already have the games on Steam.

The Walking Dead Season 3 and a new Baldur's Game is coming out soon - and because I already own the previous games on Steam, I am also more likely to buy the sequel/preque/mid-quel on Steam as well. IMO, if GOG wants my future business for the sequel/mid-quel, it should offer a HUGE discounts for the previous games to get me to "migrate" from Steam - i.e., a special discount for people who already own the games on Steam.

3. The big selling point of GOG is that a game is "DRM free". Here is a surprise that Steam does not advertise: many games on Steam are DRM free as well. If a game is DRM free on GOG and Steam has it, it is most likely DRM free on Steam as well. I've recently discovered that the Steam versions of Fallout 1/2, Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition, The Walking Dead are actually DRM free. (Honestly though, DRM is really not a big issue for me. The most important thing is that the game works and runs fine, and the DRM does not breaks/ruins it or causes any problem with the game.)

4. I play games from Steam as well as GOG. However, since I started buying digital about five years ago, all of the best games I've played - my "top" games - are on Steam: Tomb Raider 2013, XCOM: Enemy Within, Batman: Arkham City, South Park: The Stick of Truth, and a few others. Those are the games that I absolutely love, and GOG does not have them. Which has made me more likely to look into Steam games - because I know I am more likely to find a game that I really, really love on Steam.

I know there are people who are GOG fanatics/fanboys who refuse to buy from Steam. Honestly, I play games, not GOG. If a place offers good games that I love at low prices that I love, then it has my business. I am pragmatic like that.
Thats some critics for sure...
But, i have some objections. First, for me its clear that while, as you say "GOG is slow to get games" situation is little by little improving. We got a lot of AAA titles lately, many of which was previously "Steam only" There is more fresh releases as well, like Crookz or something like that.
Prevously that titles was just big NONO for GOG.
Next, its Good OLD games, doesnt it? Its kinda natural to get games little seasoned...ah, thats joke. But do you really think GOG should get ALL games from Steam to its catalog?

2) Discounts - yes, can agree with that. Its probably distributor thing, i think, anyway. These folks just dont see any reason considering size of market comparing to steam.

3) Oh. come on. "Here is a surprise that Steam does not advertise: many games on Steam are DRM free as wel" Its just same as to say that prisoners is free to go anywhere they want as long as they entered prison. Oh yeah, "drm-free" on Steam. Once you became infected its doesnt matter anymore for you.

4) "my "top" games - are on Steam: Tomb Raider 2013, XCOM: Enemy Within, Batman: Arkham City, South Park: The Stick of Truth, and a few others. Those are the games that I absolutely love, and GOG does not have them." you blame GOG for not having games which distributors decided to go "Steam-only"?
Its similar to blaming Linux for not running Windows applications.
Redfern: Well, while traveling in humble support articles i stumbled on "Store submitting form" for game developers. From that i have read i thing migrating from Widget to Store is absolutely not automatic. Developer have to fill out form, provide url to Widget if he have it and sign papers lately. So, since its legal case i think Humble cannot force developers to get their games in store (and lose some of share %) against its will.
muntdefems: That makes quite sense, thank you. I'm surprised the humble guys at Humble haven't already changed the rules so they can do it, no matter the devs' opinion...

MarkoH01: You cannot GIFT it but you can still give away the key since it is not automatically linked to your Steam account as it was before.

muntdefems: Don't be ashamed. You managed to put in a single sentence what took me two paragraphs to express. :P
I dunno about USA stuff, really, but here, in Wild Russia its supposed that one side cannot change contract in way its hurting other side interests without gettin its agree first. Since moving from Widget to Store DO hurt developers interests (lower profit share) i think they just cannot do that. Probably. Ask lawyers :)
OFC humble can convince developer by offering some marketing instead, like big banner on Store page, but its all personal and if game sold via Widget doesnt makes HUGE money flow they doubt to bother much.
high rated
ktchong: Honestly though, DRM is really not a big issue for me
So GOG's most prominent (historically speaking) pro-Steam "fanatic/fanboy" is OK with DRM, weird...
Post edited October 09, 2015 by budejovice
ktchong: Honestly though, DRM is really not a big issue for me
Oh really. Maybe you just didnt meet real one yet?
Look at this for example - http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2408301

Its doesnt looks like its not issue at all.

Dammit, i just need to go and check it myself.

OK, I confirm - i was wrong, now Store pages do give away plain Steam keys. It came by unnoticed.
Redfern: Its doesnt looks like its not issue at all.
I have not played Chronicles of Riddick - and it's not the type of game I like, so I am unlikely to ever play it.

DRM has not been a problem for the game I have played. Tomb Raider 2013, Batman: Arkham City, XCOM: Enemy Within and South Park: The Stick of Truth are among the best games I have played in the past two or three years. They all have DRM, but their DRM has not caused a single problem for me. The games ran and played fine for me. I enjoyed playing those games immensely, and they are my top favorite games. So, DRM has not been a problem for me thus far.

People on GOG kept saying about how DRM is terrible and how it ruins everything, and I sorta believed all that talk because everyone here on GOG was preaching it like a gospel. BUT, after having personally dealt with DRM with some of the best games I've played, honestly DRM really has not caused any problem for me. Not for Tomb Raider 2013. Not for XCOM. Not for Batman. Not for South Park.

Now, if a DRM breaks a game or caused me unable to run/play a game, then yeah, I'll be pissed. But so far it has not been a problem for me. The point is: DRM is not going to stop me from buying a game. XCOM 2 is coming out in February, and I know it will have DRM. Rise of Tomb Raider is coming to PC in November. 2016. South Park: Fractured Butthole is coming out next year, and it will have DRM. I know all those sequels will have DRM. I loved the previous XCOM and Tomb Raider and South Park gamea. Their DRM was never an issue, and their DRM did not cause me to not enjoy/love the game. So knowing XCOM 2, Rise of Tomb Raider and Fractured Butthole will have DRM is really a non-issue for me.
Post edited October 09, 2015 by ktchong
Heh. DRM has caused all sorts of troubles for me. And it became worse when my ISP disconnected me for 5 months. And then most of my games were simply unable to run because no proper internet connection to verify a new install of the terrible clients and their games.

And finally, DRM just feels like the companies imploying it feel like I could be a potential pirate. Without DRM, there is no of that unfriendly vibe even after the purchase. Suddenly, DRM became a factor deciding whether my purchases are good or bad. Now, I won't buy a DRM'd game unless the game is called Battlefield.
Post edited October 10, 2015 by PookaMustard
I have several games which I cannot play anmore at all because their DRM won't run with my OS anymore. So I had to get NoCD patches to be able to get my own bought games to run at all. I know that every DRM-free game will probably run for a long time and whenever I want it to run. I know that I don't "own" any game but at least I want to play when and where I want. That is not guaranteed with DRM. The sad thing is that it has been proven again and again that it does not prevent piracy or help the sales (just take a look at WItcher 3 which has great sales AND is DRM-free). But that would be too much OT - so these are just my 2 cts :)