It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

PookaMustard: I remember playing the same game on PS1 with the same "NEO GEO" intro, and it was fast enough and not rife with slowdown?
ReynardFox: Because that was a source port, not emulation. Plus on PS1 it would have been Metal Slug X you played, which was already an overhauled and optimized version of MS2.
Hmm, you're right. It must have been Metal Slug X which was far more packed than what we have. So MS2 was already a slowing fest on the Neo Geo. No wonder why its on the lowest tier?
Post edited December 10, 2015 by PookaMustard
PookaMustard: Hmm, you're right. It must have been Metal Slug X which was far more packed than what we have. So MS2 was already a slowing fest on the Neo Geo. No wonder why its on the lowest tier?
Pretty much. Though I still prefer MS2 to MSX so long as I can play it in MAME with CPU overclocking (This works without glitches because it was possible to overclock the actual Neo-Geo CPU), simply because all the arabian characters were replaced with generic Morden soldiers and the palette swapped stages don't look as nice as the originals.
Grargar: Steam isn't the only option. You can also find them on GamersGate (which also has games that DotEmu didn't) and there is also a retail disc with the collection.
the.kuribo: Ah, thank you as always, knowledge cat is once again there with great info!
vicklemos: Absolutely!

I'm in no way a Genesis collector or enthusiast, but that's a landmark of a console. I suppose the best way to play those Mega Drive/Genesis classics without owning one (and without emulating/piracy) is through Wii's Virtual Console and through the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, available on the ps3 and x360. Also, if you wanna play selected games, there's the xbla Wonderboy/ToeJam & Earl/Alex Kidd and friends releases, too.
Heck, for a superb experience, get some nitpicked 3d Classics on the 3DS and enjoy the show.

Probably all of the games included in this Sonic's Collection are on Steam/were available on DotEmu (grabbed a few myself/got some for free!) so it's a good way to showcase classics to new gamers alike. Of course, the variety of games available on the Virtual Console is a lot cooler than just SEGA games.
the.kuribo: The problem I have with virtual console or other console-based emulation is that it is so tied to the hardware. If the hardware dies, so do the games. What I'd love is if companies would just sell drm-free licenses to these games and BIOSes and let us choose whatever emulator we'd like to run them in. This way I can pay for a game once and be able to access it legally and forever on all my current and future computers and android devices.
And that is probably why they don't do it. I have copies of these games collected across various systems I've picked up over the years. I have paid for MOTW now 3 different times. The buy once, play anywhere, play forever strategy would be great as a customer, but companies don't tend to do what is good for us if it conflicts with what is good for them.
PookaMustard: Hmm, you're right. It must have been Metal Slug X which was far more packed than what we have. So MS2 was already a slowing fest on the Neo Geo. No wonder why its on the lowest tier?
ReynardFox: Pretty much. Though I still prefer MS2 to MSX so long as I can play it in MAME with CPU overclocking (This works without glitches because it was possible to overclock the actual Neo-Geo CPU), simply because all the arabian characters were replaced with generic Morden soldiers and the palette swapped stages don't look as nice as the originals.
I also preferred 2 to X, I believe they also replaced some of the bosses with ones from MS1. In fact, my favorites are 1, 2, and 3. 4 and 5 didn't have that many exciting set pieces. 6 was okay.
Post edited December 11, 2015 by SCPM
This bundle certainly looks very interesting :)
the.kuribo: Ah, thank you as always, knowledge cat is once again there with great info!

The problem I have with virtual console or other console-based emulation is that it is so tied to the hardware. If the hardware dies, so do the games. What I'd love is if companies would just sell drm-free licenses to these games and BIOSes and let us choose whatever emulator we'd like to run them in. This way I can pay for a game once and be able to access it legally and forever on all my current and future computers and android devices.
gooberking: And that is probably why they don't do it. I have copies of these games collected across various systems I've picked up over the years. I have paid for MOTW now 3 different times. The buy once, play anywhere, play forever strategy would be great as a customer, but companies don't tend to do what is good for us if it conflicts with what is good for them.
Not all companies do it this way, hopefully :)
GOG.com is a nice counter example at least for DOS games. Not only games are DRM-free but the game data is untouched (mostly*) and stays available for any 3rd party program to run it instead of Dosbox.

*I said mostly because GOG.com DOS packages contain all the games files (which are easier to use with Dosbox anyway), but the original games came on a specific media which structure has been discarded. tl;dr: enough in most cases, but not a 1:1 copy. I hope one day they will be able to offer clean copies of the game, along with the easy to use, pre-installed and emulator-bundled copy.
Post edited December 12, 2015 by Kaede
Just played King of Fighters 2000 today, unlike Metal Slug 2, I didn't notice any visible slow down of any kind. The game played regularly and without issues. Now that I retrieved my DirectInput wireless gamepad, I could try it out and see whether there's multiplayer support or not. The game has most of the features I uploaded a while ago about Metal Gear 2, nearly the same publisher/developer/HB intros, the same menu structure with a different background, etc.
The following games have been added to the BTA tier:

Real Bout Fatal Fury 2: The Newcomers
The King of Fighters 2002
Blazing Star
Ironclad

All DRM-free. It's a shame that they didn't include Last Blade 2. Oh well.
Grargar: The following games have been added to the BTA tier:

Real Bout Fatal Fury 2: The Newcomers
The King of Fighters 2002
Blazing Star
Ironclad

All DRM-free. It's a shame that they didn't include Last Blade 2. Oh well.
Thanks, updated the main post.
No Super Sidekicks? I am dissapoint. ☹
I was hoping they would add King of the Monsters 2 and Last Blade 2 this week but they didn't. For $10.00 it is still an awesome bundle so I can't complain too much.
No Last Blade 2 or Windjammers....bastards. At least KoF 2002. I wonder if they're going to have a "NeoGeo part II" bundle.
I´m thinking buying the PWYW from this bundle. But i read some complains about controls, is really bad?
seikus: I´m thinking buying the PWYW from this bundle. But i read some complains about controls, is really bad?
The main issue is the inability to modify them to your taste. The NEOGEO system only has 4 buttons so it's not like there are a lot of options, but not being able to do it your way is a big problem (especially for fighters.) They also don't line up KOF Steam versions; at least not for me. I'm not sure the controls are the same for everyone, since controllers aren't all that consistent for PC. There is a file that looks like it tries to identify controllers and map them in a consistent way, but who knows how well that one works.

There still may be options. The ability to use another emulator that does allow configuration is the best one. I guess one of those programs that can map keys to the controller might be another, but I'm thinking that will cause conflicts.

It's a dumb problem for us to have to deal with, and I think they deserve a little flak for not showing more forethought on that. That said I'm glad to have the games, and maybe we will get lucky and they will take some time to build in layout variations if not full configurations.
1. Install games
2. Copy ROMs (the zip files with the games' name) to emulator
3. Uninstall games

That also gets rid of the 4 unskippable splash screens and the 13mb wave files for their menu music.