It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Also tempted to buy this bundle since i do believe that these type of games will last for many hours but i do wonder the quality of the writting... uhm....
Cyraxpt: Also tempted to buy this bundle since i do believe that these type of games will last for many hours but i do wonder the quality of the writting... uhm....
Well, 2 of them are part of the Fighting Fantasy series.
Cyraxpt: Also tempted to buy this bundle since i do believe that these type of games will last for many hours but i do wonder the quality of the writting... uhm....
Grargar: Well, 2 of them are part of the Fighting Fantasy series.
Still, one of those is at 9$ tier so it would be that price for 2 games and i'm cheap as hell. :)
I have the To Be Or Not To Be e-book, read some of it and liked it, and I'm sure I'd enjoy it more as a mobile app (assuming that there's easy backtracking, which is what I'm missing). I'm too cheap to spend $9 for that though. Bought the base level just because "hey, it's four games of a genre I generally enjoy for $1".
So are these games or e-books? I'm a bit confused by the various descriptions.

Anyways, I bought them already, I guess I could try them. I could try a lot of things, like smoking pot while bungee jumping.
timppu: So are these games or e-books? I'm a bit confused by the various descriptions.

Anyways, I bought them already, I guess I could try them. I could try a lot of things, like smoking pot while bungee jumping.
From the looks of they're kind of "choose your own adventure" kind of things with a bit more added interactivity. I just recently played through Lone Wolf, which is like that. An interactive "choose your own adventure" kind of story with RPG elements and pretty decent combat system for what it is.
timppu: So are these games or e-books? I'm a bit confused by the various descriptions.

"Interactive fantasy gamebooks". Whatever that means... :P
I'll give them a try.
Post edited April 21, 2015 by Pardinuz
Cyraxpt: Still, one of those is at 9$ tier so it would be that price for 2 games and i'm cheap as hell. :)
Maybe they'll add more Fighting Fantasy next week.
Post edited April 21, 2015 by Grargar
They're choose your own adventure books that run like an interactive story. I had The Forest of Doom from a previous bundle (humble weekly: RPG Book 1) and gave it a try last night on PC. If they all work like that one:

It acts like a CYOA book, turning pages and being asked to go to different sections depending on choices. Some items result in battles or skill checks, with dice rolls to determine win/fail, attack, etc. (depending on stats you rolled at the beginning of the game). I played through the Forest of Doom in about an hour and a half yesterday, somehow managing to pick the right items/directions and not dying in order to finish the story.

I'm debating on this bundle myself: $9 for 10+more games of a design that interested me, but it's not exactly a bundle I jumped on the minute I saw it.
Are the games playable on Android phone, or does the text get too small?
Catshade: Are the games playable on Android phone, or does the text get too small?
I've only tried Judge Dredd one, but it has freely scalable font size as well as you can choose more readible font if you like. Given that all the games are made with same engine I'd suspect they all have the same option.
I wish these games were not Android only.
Any more informed opinions on the quality? I remember this kind of books from when I was a kid, and the ... ahem... bookeeping was horrible. The bundle appeals to me, as a shot in the dark, especially considering there's books to be revealed and so it'll be under a buck per book even for the highest tier. Anyone to push me ver the edge?
Personally I've enjoyed Tinman gamebooks on my smart phone in the past; the font is designed for phone application and didn't seems limited (text is book size or larger plus back lit screen). The quality of the writing is not bad, the book are event based and text is serviceable - certainly not cringeworthy or lackluster.

These play like old text based adventure games with fixed choices; sometimes you can determine character stats that help impact choices (i.e. one game not featured here has a fear system that determined if you can face horrors or succumb to them).

It's also worth noting that 3 of the books in the second, BTA, tier are sequels or follow-ups to those settings in the $1 tier - which is a nice touch.
Post edited April 22, 2015 by undeadcow
That Judge Dredd game was released on Steam, does this bundle gives a Steam key? Since i don't see anything mentioning that on the bundle page i'm guessing that the answer is no.