It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

62: 1.
Government has nothing to do with shops - if someone wants to sell quality whips, why not? As long as two people agree to something, that's fine by me. If BDSM fans want to have their shops, why won't we let them open them?
IF BDSM fans are free to do what they like and they CAN open shops with their stuff - then, dismiss. We're not giving them any extra money.

63: 3.
If we let them operate, we'll have blood on our hands - so that covers 1, 2 and Dismiss.
I agree our welfare spendings are too high, but why won't we just cut on it rather than hurt fellow human beings? If they start working on themselves, they can become productive members of our society.
And cult brainwashing is far more efficient than any re-education program. Believe me, I've got MA in Social Rehabilitation.
Maighstir: You didn't see anything.
Didn't see any what? I don't know what you're talking about. Now if you'll excuse me, I have some math problems to do... 2+2=...? Dang it!

Anyway...
Issue 62: Dismiss. I feel like the word "support" might imply some kind of subsidy or something, so dismiss.
Issue 63: Dismiss. Because none of the options don't involve killing people, and the set up was that they want us to give them someone to kill. Dismiss should mean that murder is still illegal, I would think.
Post edited May 15, 2013 by RichieBerry
62: Dismiss. It is not the government's task to support some fringe hobby. But it has also no business meddling in the private life of it's citizens. So, leave everything as it is.

63: Dismiss again. I don't see the need to spend 'lots and lots of funds' on the re-education of some idiot group. Nor should we introduce the death penalty. Murder is illegal and everyone is the same before the law. So religious murderers will be treated just the same as every other killer.
Issue 62: Dismiss - I too am afraid they would demand some money if we support them. 3 would be ridiculous considering what is allowed in our country.
Issue 63: 4 - Yeah, I like re-education.
3 day silence? Was our fearless leader taken by the terroristic non-parliamentary opposition? Or is it just a vacation/holyday symptom?
Lifthrasil: 3 day silence? Was our fearless leader taken by the terroristic non-parliamentary opposition? Or is it just a vacation/holyday symptom?
His sleep/wake schedule has just been insanely messed up, barely giving him enough energy to keep the brain going throughout his day job (he's of the opinion that he isn't paid enough to have politics as much more than a hobby, so a primary job as a janitor is needed).

EDIT: Janitor... cleaning bandit caves throughout Skyrim, that is.
Post edited May 18, 2013 by Maighstir
We will dismiss both issues.
==== Overview ====
Civil Rights: Superb (74)
Economy: Fair (27)
Political Freedoms: Very Good (68)

The Free Land of Gogan is a very large, genial nation, remarkable for its keen interest in outer space. Its compassionate, intelligent population of 174 million enjoy extensive civil rights and enjoy a level of social equality free from the usual accompanying government corruption.

The enormous, socially-minded government is effectively ruled by the Department of Education, with areas such as Law & Order and Religion & Spirituality receiving almost no funds by comparison. The average income tax rate is 39%, but much higher for the wealthy. A substantial private sector is dominated by the Pizza Delivery industry.

Truth is often impossible to tell from fiction on the evening news, strict term limits have been applied to all elected offices, the arms industry is strictly regulated, and Gogan is notorious for its citizens' infidelity. Crime is relatively low. Gogan's national animal is the Goglodyte, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its currency is the Gog.

Gogan is ranked 2,315th in The North Pacific and 58,006th in the world for Largest Welfare Programs, scoring 19 on the Safety Net Mesh Density Rating.

==== Issues ====
3 days 10 hours ago: Following new legislation in Gogan, Gogan is notorious for its citizens' infidelity.
The overview has been updated following the last decisions made.

Welfare Programs Not Faring Well (issue 64)
A recent lull in legislation has sparked the fires of some bored politicians. After reviewing the back-log of constituent complaints, they've come to your desk demanding welfare reform.

1: "The process ought to be made easier," says Inga Matthews, picking the grime out of her dirty fingernails. "It's so difficult convincing welfare administrators that I am actually a poor, helpless vagrant on the brink of homelessness! When you finally do, you get tangled up in all the red tape, and you're lucky to see a dime. The government should just trust my word and fork over the Gogs I need to survive."

2: "The current system is not very efficient, I'll admit," says Barack Li, a local welfare administrator and esteemed bureaucrat. "But we can't trust these bums to manage their welfare aid. How are we supposed to help them help themselves if they waste their benefits on things like trashy clothes and cheap alcohol? We need more authority over how the aid is spent, it's the only way we can be assured that it is used responsibly."

3: "Get the free-loaders off the government teat!" shouts conservative activist, Thomas Han. "The free-market system says that those who work hard will succeed. If these so-called 'needy people' would roll their sleeves up, lift a finger, and earn an honest living, we wouldn't be bankrupting our country helping them! The only sensible solution is to abolish all welfare programs, and let the natural, capitalist process take place."

4: "He has a point," says popular political pundit Miranda Dovey. "There are a lot of people in the system, and some of them don't really need to be there. The government should be finding these people jobs, so that our welfare system can survive and meet the needs of the truly impoverished. Of course, we're going to have to spend a few Gogs to achieve this goal. But, what's a little tax hike if it means saving our dying welfare programs and the people who depend on them?"

5: "Capitalism is the very reason why we need welfare in the first place. Laissez-faire policies would only make the problem worse," argues political activist Jean-Paul Winters. "If the government would ensure that all employers pay their employees the amount they need to live - no more, no less - then the problem of providing for the poor would disappear."

Wiki Worries (issue 65)
State department officials are in an uproar over the leaking of key government cables by the website WikiSpills. The site's owner, under the nom de plume "El Denunciante," is operating from an anonymous location in neighboring Bigtopia, where the government can't reach him. Gogan's leaders are sharply divided on how to respond.

1: "This man has done no wrong!" says Natalia Hendrikson, who also happens to be the head writer of The Gogan City Times Magazine. "The people have a right to transparency of government. El Denunciante is a hero who has revolutionized my magazine sale-er-Freedom of Speech for this country. No state action must be committed that would infringe upon our right to disclose government information, regardless of the effects on diplomatic relations. Besides, it isn't as though you've got anything to hide... do you?"

2: "El Denunciante is a terrorist and has committed treason," argues reactionary talk radio host Faith Khan. "The fact is, he has consistently presented an anti-Gogan agenda, and people like him need to be stopped from propagandizing their filth. What we need is to block this website and any others which threaten the security of this great nation. Like those opposition party blogs that keep popping up! I mean, what use is personal freedom if you don't have security and peace of mind?"

3: "This seems like a lot of needless work, if you ask me," says Freddy Cheswick, your brother-in-law, while enjoying a foul-smelling beverage in your office. "Why should the people get to discuss you and your government anyway? Seems to me things would be much easier if you just told them what their opinion was and blocked out all others. After all, who knows what's best for them better than you, am I right? Cheers!"

==== Discussion ====
Post edited May 18, 2013 by MGT
64: 4
65: 1 (Just how many brother-in-law's do I have?)
64:2 - actually I think it's a good idea to restrict welfare to things that are actually necessary for a decent life. Smoking and alcohol and other addictions do not need to be financed by the government.

65:1 - Transparent government FTW!
Personally, I believe we should try to find jobs for those who have none, while we shouldn't try to control people how they spend their money once its in their hands.

That means 64: 4

I agree with you on the other issue, transparency is good for the people and thus the country.

65: 1

==============

That does mean we will increase taxes a bit in order to find jobs for those who can work but are currently on welfare programs, and we'll let El Denunciante operate freely.
==== Overview ====
Civil Rights: Superb (74)
Economy: Fair (27)
Political Freedoms: Very Good (68)

The Free Land of Gogan is a very large, genial nation, renowned for its compulsory military service. Its compassionate, intelligent population of 180 million enjoy extensive civil rights and enjoy a level of social equality free from the usual accompanying government corruption.

The enormous, socially-minded government is effectively ruled by the Department of Education, with areas such as Law & Order and Religion & Spirituality receiving almost no funds by comparison. The average income tax rate is 39%, but much higher for the wealthy. A substantial private sector is dominated by the Pizza Delivery industry.

Truth is often impossible to tell from fiction on the evening news, strict term limits have been applied to all elected offices, the arms industry is strictly regulated, and Gogan is notorious for its citizens' infidelity. Crime is relatively low. Gogan's national animal is the Goglodyte, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its currency is the Gog.

Gogan is ranked 1,498th in The North Pacific and 39,500th in the world for Healthiest Citizens, with 4 Standard Bananas Ingested per capita per day.

==== Issues ====

Quickie Marriages Under Scrutiny (issue 66)
The late-night, alcohol-fuelled marriage and subsequent annulment of pop starlet Dipsy Bubbleyum has been thoroughly condemned by tabloid presses across the country. There is now a growing call for some restraints to be put on Gogan's liberal marriage laws.

1: "This could all be solved quite easily," says Ariel Dovey, a tee-totaler. "With a little common sense. These marriages happen because the bride and groom are inebriated, right? So obviously we should make applicants pass a sobriety test before they can be issued a marriage licence. If you're too drunk to drive, you're too drunk to get hitched."

2: "I think everyone's being very unfair and mean!" says self-described party girl, Bertina Chaswick, writing in to Alright! Magazine. "I mean, like, Dipsy was just havin' fun, yeah? So she made a mistake, but we all do when we've had a few! If someone wants an annulment they should be able to get it for any reason. Divorces are long, messy and SO yesterday!"

3: "Marriage is the sacred and immortal union of two souls," declares conservative commentator, Cornelius Prodnose. "It is the ultimate gesture of love! To get married out of sheer whimsy and then change your mind later... it's obscene! People need to face up to the consequences they bring on themselves! Once you're married, that's it. No annulments, no divorces. Just eternal love and decency."

Organic Outburst (issue 67)
After a recent left-wing broadsheet exposé of agricultural practices, an outburst of public paranoia has stirred up the organic foods debate.

1: "I just can't stomach it any more," rants concerned parent Mark Zhimo. "My children's future is being put at risk by irresponsible corporate practices. We must outlaw the use of pesticides and additives by farmers and food producers."

2: "I've heard enough of this treehugging, lefty nonsense," argues corporate spokesperson George W. de Jong. "The agricultural industry needs to use the most advanced technology available, it's the only way to keep Gogan competitive in food production. Besides, the studies we have commissioned prove that only a very small number of child deaths are due to our products, and surely that's an acceptable rate in the name of progress?"

3: "Stop torturing Mother Earth!" yells outraged environmental extremist Roxanne McAlpin. "Are we prepared to sacrifice our planet and our souls for the sake of a few extra Gogs? If we hope to live in harmony with the environment that nurtures and protects us, we must ban all industries that pollute our world. Let us return to the trees, my brothers!"
amok: Just how many brother-in-law's do I have?
For that we'd need to know how many of your siblings are married with a man (or several men, we did allow both same-sex marriages and polygamy after all, I believe), and how many brothers your spouse(s) has/have.

As for today's opinion (why do I always type that with to p's?), I... don't know. I'd like a compromise between 1 and 2 for the marriage annulment issue, ease the divorce process, but make sure (within reason) that people know what they're getting into when getting married (It's not like it's a necessary thing in order to live together for life and have kids).

66: dismiss, I think.

For the farming issue, shutting down industries completely sounds a bit too rash, but decreasing the number of pesticides is definitely a good thing.

67: 1.
Post edited May 19, 2013 by Maighstir
66: I'll go with 1. If you're too drunk to know what you are doing, you should not sign contracts like a marriage (or buy a house, or any larger investment).

67:1 - Banning all pesticides is a bit extreme again, but the other options are even worse.
66: dismiss
67: 1