It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Intriguing releases, important updates, and GWENT!

Perhaps you were mostly paying attention to the 1000+ smashing deals on offer. Or were too busy collecting XP to unlock those excellent freebies. Maybe you have a malfunctioning mouse wheel and scrolling all the way to the bottom of the page was a bit of a pain.

Well, don't fret!

We collected the unmissable things that you may have missed during all the excitement of the Summer Sale and pinned them on this here notice board. Come take a look, you won't regret it.

- Did you hear? The Witcher's favorite pastime, <span class="bold">GWENT</span>, is now becoming a standalone game that you can play both competitively and as a single-player campaign. Don't dally, beta signups are now open!
- A few days into the Summer Sale we got hacked! By a blue-haired girl who goes by the name of <span class="bold">Dex</span>. But she did leave an awesome side-scrolling action/adventure behind, so we are not that inclined to hold it against her.
- <span class="bold">Ori and the Blind Forest</span>, the magical platformer of impossible beauty, visited us the other day. It was all kinds of lovely.
- Among the big releases happening left and right, <span class="bold">Defender's Quest</span> sneaked in a pretty big free update, surprising fans and sceptics alike with its delux-ified features.
- <span class="bold">Dreamfall Chapters</span> came to its emotional end with Book 5: REDUX and there wasn't a dry eye to be found.
- But the <span class="bold">NECROPOLIS</span> pre-order immediately helped lighten the mood, with its whacky approach to unforgiving dungeon-crawling.

So, what was your favorite GOG new release during the Summer Sale? Did you get to play it yet?
Post edited June 22, 2016 by maladr0Id
BreOl72: Regarding the fuss over "banning content from German users":

There is only one way, GOG could ensure that no minors are buying games, that are not meant for them:

1.) Let the customer enter the "Kennziffern" on his /her id-card.
Since that alone wouldn't suffice (there are programs online, that generate those "Kennziffern"), after entering the numbers, you would also have to

2.) contact GOG.com via video-chat, where a GOG employee verifys, that you're actually the person on the id-cart.

Given the fact, that most online-dwellers bear tinfoil hats, when it comes to any verifying of their "Holy"
anonymity, most would avoid such a step.

So - where's the fault here?

At GOG?
At the German law?

Or maybe at the average internet user /GOG customer and his/her fear of proving his / her true identity?
So you really think that every store that sells adult stuff on the internet in Germany (or to be more precise to German customers) is doing something illegal and will get sued? Because almost none of them is doing age verification the way you described. And even German media lawyers say that something like PostID or Giropay-ID would be enough.
mchack: So I think that's quite overdoing it...
BreOl72: Thank you for proving my point! ;p
..so - where's the overdoing it part here?

Edit: "Während es früher möglich war, durch Einwurf einiger Münzen die gewünschten Zigaretten zu erhalten, ist dies seit dem 01.01.2009 technisch nicht mehr umzusetzen: bis zu diesem Zeitpunkt mussten alle Zigarettenautomaten dahingehend umgerüstet werden, dass nur noch volljährige Personen an Tabakwaren gelangen können. Dies geschieht mithilfe einer ec-Karte beziehungsweise eines EU-Führerscheins, welche eine auf ihrem Chip Altersangabe enthalten. Nur, wenn bestätigt wird, dass die betreffende Person tatsächlich das 18. Lebensjahr vollendet hat, gibt der Automat die Zigaretten aus."
Well, exactly as you said there, you have to give the vending machine some plastic card that says you are over 18.
(And noone checks if you are the person that the plastic card says you are.)

Exactly that (and no more information only this one bit of information over 18 yes or no) should be given to gog via one plastic card (for instance our nPA (neuer personal ausweis) new passport, which could do exactly that. eID function)

you'd need a card reader but then I guess, you'd only have to prove you age once and then your account is verified over 18 so just lending out a reader or going to someone that has one once should suffice.

EDIT: And make it optional! that's the most important part... please make it optional if you ever bring in something like that.
Post edited June 23, 2016 by mchack
PaterAlf: So you really think that every store that sells adult stuff on the internet in Germany (or to be more precise to German customers) is doing something illegal and will get sued? Because almost none of them is doing age verification the way you described. And even German media lawyers say that something like PostID or Giropay-ID would be enough.
Depends, don't you think?
Do they sell software or hardware?

Software: well according to the measures taken by GOG (and Steam, btw.), they at least fear, that they might get sued at some point in the future.

Software: Playstation Store - you have to provide your "Kenziffern" (as mentioned above), if you want to add cash to your account.

Hardware: Amazon requires an identification through the mail man (whether he follows through the procedure, depends on the mail man - one time you have to provide your id-card, other times you have not).

I guess the same is true for every hardware selling shop, where the wares are "Ab 18".

Online dating sites (the better ones): Id-card check and video contact.

When it comes to the law - it always depends on where and when and under which judge your case gets negotiated.

One judge will adjucate in your favour - the next will not.

If you're in a position, where you could get prosecuted, if you end up before the "wrong" judge, you might be inclined to take measures, to prevent said process in the first place, don't you think?

And let's not fool ourselves here: any measure of age verification which only consists of putting some numbers into a form, is useless.
mchack: Well, exactly as you said there, you have to give the vending machine some plastic card that says you are over 18.
(And noone checks if you are the person that the plastic card says you are.)
You are encountering this problem from the wrong side: yes - my 13y.o. could use my id-card to buy cigarettes (or games on GOG)...but that is the exact reason why that alone wont suffice.
You need to further prove, that you're the person, the id-card claims you to be.

mchack: Exactly that (and no more information only this one bit of information over 18 yes or no) should be given to gog via one plastic card (for instance our nPA (neuer personal ausweis) new passport, which could do exactly that.)
What makes you so afraid of the fact, that GOG might get to know something more about you than "18: yes/no"?
Your real name, address? What do you have to hide?

I buy a lot online - and guess what: all the stores NEED my name, address, zip code etc. to send me my ordered wares.

mchack: EDIT: And make it optional! that's the most important part... please make it optional if you ever bring in something like that.
Oh - but that's the best part: it totally would be optional.
As a matter of fact it would only affect German users (and maybe Australian ones?) - but ONLY, if they would want to buy a indexed game!

For all the other users /games it wouldn't be necessary.
mchack: Exactly that (and no more information only this one bit of information over 18 yes or no) should be given to gog via one plastic card (for instance our nPA (neuer personal ausweis) new passport, which could do exactly that.)
BreOl72: What makes you so afraid of the fact, that GOG might get to know something more about you than "18: yes/no"?

I buy a lot online - and guess what: all the stores NEED my name, address, zip code etc. to send me my ordered wares.
you know, that kind of mentality, really get's me going. You never understood how there was anything wrong with the Stasi, right?

Data that's not needed shouldn't be collected. And gog doesn't need my name nor address to provide it's service so they don't collect it, which is very good but quite uncommon....
mchack: You never understood how there was anything wrong with the Stasi, right?
Ooh,...killer argument detected.
If that's the route you want to follow - do it without me!

Godspeed!
BreOl72: What makes you so afraid of the fact, that GOG might get to know something more about you than "18: yes/no"?

As far as I understand PostID, GOG wouldn't even get your data. Instead they veryfy your age (at a post office or via video-chat) and after that you get some kind of token for your account that verifies your age. But I'm not completely sure how it works (I haven't used it yet).
BreOl72: I buy a lot online - and guess what: all the stores NEED my name, address, zip code etc. to send me my ordered wares.
PaterAlf: As far as I understand PostID, GOG wouldn't even get your data. Instead they veryfy your age (at a post office or via video-chat) and after that you get some kind of token for your account that verifies your age. But I'm not completely sure how it works (I haven't used it yet).
Haven't used it either...the quote above is in regards to hardware purchases.
Of course, GOG would not need my address, to add games to my account.

But to make sure that I am who I claim to be, they would need some way to check my identity (in case of indexed games, at least).

Since we don't know, what they are preparing (I think I remember some blue (Konrad?) mention in one thread, that they are looking into ways to verifying the age of their customers), we just have to live with the present situation and the three-lettered solutions to it.
mchack: You never understood how there was anything wrong with the Stasi, right?
BreOl72: Ooh,...killer argument detected.
If that's the route you want to follow - do it without me!

Godspeed!
hehe :) you're quite right sorry. Godwin's law striking again I guess...

but still asking "what do you have to hide?" that's really low.

you don't have to have any reason for wanting privacy, you have to have a reason when you want data from someone..
mchack: Let those that want to, pay for the verfification once and then let them have a tab with all the over 18 games. easy.
That could actually do it - If the German law officially allow it(?) - Gog may indeed offer an 18+ section
(that would have to be 21+ on some countries and may even 25+ on others),
That should allow anyone purchase anything (legal), without forcing it into the main Child Friendly vanilla site.
This feature is actually wishlist [url=https://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/an_18_section_or_category]times with varying ways, so no reason to believe it's completely out of the question,
Some other gaming fronts (such as http://fireflowergames.com/) have an Adult Only section, and for the most part this would also allow Gog to send many oldies that may seem too hardcore to sell otherwise.
I don't agree though with the notion Germans should pay for it, as this will discriminate against other costumers.
The best way to make it happen is show it can be profitable (such as by acquiring reselling license for a "hot" (TOO HOT for Gog to handle selling on the vanilla site) title that many costumers will agree to buy, or make it such using a social funding program to create a self sustaining Age Verification system that could be applied to Gog (and why not offer it to Steam and whatnot as well).
saberstorm11: question the image on the topic before you get to the comments ( a bar with sci fi patrons) where is if from what game?
what art? artist name?
thanks a lot if you awnser any of this thanks
Smannesman: Dex.
THANKS!
Missed the summer sale :(
God I love this company
Oh wow! I never got to beat the very end of defenders quest since the final mission on New Game + was so hard.