It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like:Chrome,Firefox,Internet Explorer orOpera

arrow-down2arrowcart2close4fat-arrow-leftfat-arrow-rightfeedbackfriends2happy-facelogo-gognotificationnotifications-emptyownedremove-menusad-facesearch2wishlist-menuwishlisted2own_thingsheartstartick
IAmSinistar:
point I was trying to make was theres no translation issues with something like Beowulf - its an issue with creative liberties that makes them vary - particularly as its a saga, and therefore passed on orally by tradition.
IAmSinistar: That was probably part of the issue I had with the book, since I read it in English. The quality of the translation has a lot to do with the final product. I've read multiple translations of certain works (Dante's Divine Comedy, Beowulf) and it's amazing how much variance are in them, as well as how appealing the work is (or isn't) in each version.
It's no good in Russian either, I coudn't get past the third page. That being said, the quality of the translation does matter a lot, even for prose, and poetic translations are pretty much separate works.
Sachys: point I was trying to make was theres no translation issues with something like Beowulf - its an issue with creative liberties that makes them vary - particularly as its a saga, and therefore passed on orally by tradition.
Well, I have to say that there are central themes and symbolism which need to be retained, regardless of the format of the translation, but yes, such works do leave themselves open to very broad re-interpretation without losing the vital spark.

Starmaker: It's no good in Russian either, I coudn't get past the third page. That being said, the quality of the translation does matter a lot, even for prose, and poetic translations are pretty much separate works.
That's a shame that the source material isn't much better. I wanted to like the book more, as it really had some compelling ideas behind it, but it just seemed to plod along without sufficient energy.

Speaking of translations, I think one of the most difficult books to translate (as well as write) has to have been A Void by Georges Perec. The entire novel does not use any word that contains the letter E, which must have been a nightmare to do in the original language, and even worse to translate into another and still retain the meaning.
martigasin: Everyone discovered the book because of the game, or you heard of it earlier?
I think I was simultaneously hunting for some good sci-fi to read and looking for a game to fill the void left by S.T.A.L.K.E.R. I'm not sure which came up first, Metro 2033 the book because it's recommended if you like Roadside Picnic, or Metro 2033 the game because it was announced and previewed with references to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. S.o.C.

Either way, I was very glad I read the book of Metro 2033 first - it doesn't spoil the game, but I fear the game could present some annoying spoilers for the book.

Sachys: Been quite a few rereleases the last few years - and amazon seems to have a fair amount:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roadside-Picnic-MASTERWORKS-Boris-Strugatsky/dp/0575079789
poor phrasing in my earlier post, that edition of Roadside Picnic is probably the one I have, it's all of the other works that seemed to be difficult to purchase. I will search again at some point soon, but for the moment I have a copy of Snuff (Pratchett) that I bought when it came out and I still haven't read it, plus a backlog of others

IAmSinistar: I have most of their works in ebook format, and is reissuing some of them in printed form. I just finished [url=http://www.mhpbooks.com/books/definitely-maybe/]Definitely Maybe recently and, in a nice coincidence, today is supposed to be the release date for The Dead Mountaineer’s Inn.
Thanks, good to know there are some real options in existence :-)
Post edited March 17, 2015 by IanM
IanM:
if theres a big tescos near you, have a look and see if they have a diabetes UK used bookshelf near the checkouts - one near me does and its chockablock with 1st edition seventies scifi stuff / horrors - all srts actually - apparently a lot of the bigger stores have them now
Post edited March 17, 2015 by Sachys
IanM:
Sachys: if theres a big tescos near you, have a look and see if they have a diabetes UK used bookshelf near the checkouts - one near me does and its chockablock with 1st edition seventies scifi stuff / horrors - all srts actually - apparently a lot of the bigger stores have them now
They do actually :-) I never looked in detail before as I assumed it was full of ladies romance novels as that's 99% of the books they have at the front of the stall, usually with a queue of senior ladies rifling through them!
Sachys: if theres a big tescos near you, have a look and see if they have a diabetes UK used bookshelf near the checkouts - one near me does and its chockablock with 1st edition seventies scifi stuff / horrors - all srts actually - apparently a lot of the bigger stores have them now
IanM: They do actually :-) I never looked in detail before as I assumed it was full of ladies romance novels as that's 99% of the books they have at the front of the stall, usually with a queue of senior ladies rifling through them!
oh, yeah sometimes you'll get a week like that, but I've picked up originals by Harrison, Heinlein, King, Barker - LOTS of good stuff.

They had the complete Dune novels once - all 1st editions... didnt have the change though! :(
Chicago Review Press has reissued Hard To Be A God, alongside their excellent reissue of Roadside Picnic. I quite recommend these editions if you want physical books.

There is also a reissue of Far Rainbow available through The Book Depository, which ships pretty much everywhere.

And later this year we will finally be getting a long overdue reissuing of Monday Starts on Saturday.

The works of the Strugatsky Brothers are slowly regaining the attention they deserve and coming back into print for English-reading audiences.
IAmSinistar: Chicago Review Press has reissued Hard To Be A God, alongside their excellent reissue of Roadside Picnic. I quite recommend these editions if you want physical books.

There is also a reissue of Far Rainbow available through The Book Depository, which ships pretty much everywhere.

And later this year we will finally be getting a long overdue reissuing of Monday Starts on Saturday.

The works of the Strugatsky Brothers are slowly regaining the attention they deserve and coming back into print for English-reading audiences.
i will definitly check them out and pass the info to my girlfriend , she loves books and always looking interesting things to read.

thanks