It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

RWarehall: Unomgus Yogsloth

Firstus Completus Seriousus Votius AgentCarr16

Anyone else see what is wrong about Post216?
JoeSapphire: Is it that he discredits gamerager for claiming ravenclaw after he previously claimed slytherin?
More his later claim in post 117..."I'm actually in House Wampus and my name is Egbert Worple-Chesterton" and I had him slightly leaning Town off that claim. It seemed reasonable for this game even with the 3 houses vs. 1. At worst I had him as a benevolent 3rd party like a survivor. By post 117 we were pretty well done with RVS.

Maybe that was a joke too but I took it as a serious claim. Yogsloth had already claimed Hufflepuff. But now he's voting GameRager just because his house claim isn't Gryffindor?

Even in the extreme case you assume he thought Yogsloth's claim was a joke, and his own claim was a joke (which isn't clear), you'd think he'd put maybe a little more legwork into his post.

For example, the sentence before and the rest of the sentence right before the part he directly linked...
It is therefore fitting that Slytherin were put on a team, and pitted against the other houses combined. It might look like it's one against three, but in reality we know that after all only Gryffindor really matters. I just find it impossible to see how he could possibly ignore everything except the specific few words he snipped.

At the very least, it shows he didn't try very hard and at worst, he tried to pull one over on us by "conveniently snipping" the only set of words that made his case against a typically low-hanging fruit in GameRager.
Votus Conputatio

agent 3 - Micro, RWarehall, Lift
Lift 2 - Pooka, agent
Microfish 1 - trent
SPF 1 - Joe
yogs 1 - FlockeShnee
RW 1 - yogs
ConsulCaesar 1 - joppo

Everyone else - 0
Not voting - SirPrimalform, Carradice, ConsulCaesar, GameRager

14 players remaining - it takes 8 to lynch.

When you see a vote count, please check that your name is against the right person.
Post edited February 04, 2020 by ZFR
agentcarr16: If you were actually Town. This must refer to something in a Town player's PM, because otherwise there's no ACTUALLY about it. It would be open information to all players.

As Town, there is nothing in my PM stating that "it is all houses together against Slytherin." Nor is there anything stating that "we all have the joint task of defeating Slytherin." Indeed, there's nothing in the PUBLICLY AVAILABLE Town PM stating that the goal of Town is anything other than elminating all threats to Town.

You not knowing this can only mean that you were writing based on your memory of your PM, which was NOT a Town PM, and that you didn't bother to check the OP for the actual Town PMs.

Again:

Vote Lifthrasil

You're obviously not Town, which is good enough for me.
Funny. You can turn that right around. Because with this post you have admitted that the publicly available Town PM is all the information you have to work with to pretend to be Town.

Newsflash: actual Town PMs differ from the public example. For example they don't contain 'yadda yadda yadda'.

What they do contain, however, at least in my case, is explicit mention of houses. Not only 'eliminating all threats to Town'. There is more. Of course I can't and won't quote. But the gist is, while I would like to make my house proud, our more important task is to defeat Slytherin.

I would suggest all Town players to check their PM against the publicly available sample PM. I guess that all actual Townies will find some additions compared to the sample PM and I guess all actual Town PMs will contain some reference to our aim to defeat Slytherin.

Of course it is a bit unfair to convict someone based on PM. Usually, when a sample PM is given, it is given to avoid this kind of thing and to give Scum all the PM-information that Town has. But in this game at least my Town-PM differs from the sample. And exactly this expectation of agent, that the sample PM was the entire actual PM that went to Townies shows, that he didn't get a real Town-PM.

In other words: agent has just accidentally admitted that he didn't get a Town-PM and therefore isn't Town.
Are you two talking about the flavour portion? Because the only mention of a House at all in mine is the name of the House itself. I suspect there may be great variation in the various flavour texts...

Let's not get into more of a PM dispute and try to break the game with them. I'm arguing against the consistency of Agent's argument against GameRager given his claim of belonging to House Wampus.
RWarehall: Even in the extreme case you assume he thought Yogsloth's claim was a joke, and his own claim was a joke (which isn't clear), you'd think he'd put maybe a little more legwork into his post.

For example, the sentence before and the rest of the sentence right before the part he directly linked...
It is therefore fitting that Slytherin were put on a team, and pitted against the other houses combined. It might look like it's one against three, but in reality we know that after all only Gryffindor really matters. I just find it impossible to see how he could possibly ignore everything except the specific few words he snipped.

At the very least, it shows he didn't try very hard and at worst, he tried to pull one over on us by "conveniently snipping" the only set of words that made his case against a typically low-hanging fruit in GameRager.
eh, you got me excited but I'm not that convinced.

I certainly have made at least one such error of reading with disastrous consequences, but the intention was honest.

Let us see if Carr has a satisfying explanation for why he would claim to be part of 'House Wampus' and then later claim 'all town are on team gryffindor'.
Lifthrasil: Funny. You can turn that right around. Because with this post you have admitted that the publicly available Town PM is all the information you have to work with to pretend to be Town.
[...]
In other words: agent has just accidentally admitted that he didn't get a Town-PM and therefore isn't Town.
Good, you missed the whole point of Agent's post. He's telling you that neither his PM nor the sample PM mentions "the three houses have the joint task to get rid of Slytherin" or whatever. Conveniently enough, you mention the "yadda yadda yadda" bit which is tucked in the non-flavor section, the part which breaks down the flavor stuff into plain Mafia terminology. If you had read the sample PM, there is effort put into the flavory section, which is where you'd expect talk of Houses and Slytherin to come up, especially the Joint Task thing. Also in the non-flavor section, it's the usual "you win when all Town threats have been eliminated" boilerplate text, nothing about Houses.

Did you extrapolate that he didn't receive a Town PM because he didn't explicitly mention his PM having the "eliminate all Town threats" bit? That's the only way I can see this issue making sense, and even then I have a hard time buying it because Scum Can Say That Too. How many times did you read any of my Town posts across GOG Mafia differently because I didn't make something I thought was obvious explicit enough?
PookaMustard: Did you extrapolate that he didn't receive a Town PM because he didn't explicitly mention his PM having the "eliminate all Town threats" bit?
Gosh, how can you miss so completely what I write? It's as if you are reading in a completely different forum or in a parallel universe. That was NOT my point! Please, read again what I wrote and this time try to understand what is actually written there. Not what you make up in your head. And when you're done with that, try to understand the explanation below.

1. it's not about 'eliminate all Town threats'. Not even remotely. Where did you get that idea?
2. it is about his pretense, that only Gryffindor can be Town. Which is a ridiculous assumption. Both post 3 (which he quoted) and my PM (which he can't know but I assume it is similar for other Townies) contradict this assumption. Post 3 clearly states that it is 3 houses vs Slytherin.
3. It is also about this:
agentcarr16: there is nothing in my PM stating that "it is all houses together against Slytherin." Nor is there anything stating that "we all have the joint task of defeating Slytherin."
So, agent's PM doesn't say anything about defeating Slytherin together. Which led me to speculate that his PM doesn't say anything about defeating Slytherin at all, because he is Slytherin himself.
4. it is also about this:
agentcarr16: Indeed, there's nothing in the PUBLICLY AVAILABLE Town PM stating that the goal of Town is anything other than elminating all threats to Town.
He refers to the sample PM. With the pretense that that is all there is to Town PMs. Which can only mean that either he got a verbatim quote of the sample PM as his PM. Or he didn't get a Town PM at all.

I don't think it's case 1. I don't think anyone got a verbatim quote of the sample PM, which is why I pointed out the 'yadda yadda yadda' bit. So I think it is case 2. He didn't get a Town PM at all. Otherwise he would know that in Town PMs there is something 'other than eliminating all threats to Town'. More precisely: he would be aware that Town-PMs differ from the publicly available sample. Therefore, he wouldn't use the publicly available sample as an argument.

Well, I hope this was a bit clearer. I'm looking forward to seeing in what inconceivable way you will manage to misunderstand this again. You either are tunneling very, very hard and are therefore misinterpreting everything I write. Or you are scum and you do the misinterpreting on purpose.

But IF you are Town (and that's a big IF), please do me the favor and compare your PM to the public sample PM. Do you see any differences between them? (No, don't tell me. Just check.) If you do, that might be a hint that I am right and that the real Town-PMs differ from the sample PM that agent uses as an argument.
Great, this is turning into a PM discussion. Worst thing that can happen in a game. I’ll even volunteer to be the lynch for today if this is the route it’s going to go because I want no part of a game that is about PM information.
Oh god, are we doing that GOG thing again of searching for colons and capital letters in our PRIVATE messages and trying to use that to determine the mafia?

That's the pits

And holy crud is microfish role-fishing

Microfish_1: PPS Can anyone confirm that their name is in fact from the HP universe?
trentonlf: Why ask this? Keep PM information to yourself. Names have no bearing on how someone is acting or reacting in the game. Trying to fish for PM information is a HUGE no no, and in my eyes something scum would do.

Unvote SirPrimalform
Vote Microfish_1
I'm normally not a PM zealot like trent is but in this case, it's so over-the top...

Unvotus RWarehall

Votus Microfish_1

I can't advise more strongly that we drop all the PM discussion

It's balls

It's butt

We lynch the people not actually scum hunting and obsessed with mechanical and semantic discussion.

RWarehall is starting to recover in that regard, btw

And actually, Caeser is getting worse and worse, hang on brb, I skimmed a bit since I just got here, hang on
trentonlf: Why ask this? Keep PM information to yourself. Names have no bearing on how someone is acting or reacting in the game. Trying to fish for PM information is a HUGE no no, and in my eyes something scum would do.
I agree it was slightly suspicious, and am watching him a tiny bit for that, but how would it harm town for anyone to know if player's names were from the HP universe? It's not like he asked for said names to be listed, and a simple yes/no to such doesn't reveal much that could be used by scum.

To me, his asking(at least that bit you snipped) seemed to be harmless/near harmless by itself.
======================================================

ConsulCaesar: I think we cross-posted. If I were a cop or roleblocker I'd go for Lift (if it wasn't obvious from my previous posts), with agent as a second option (if only to finish the controversy). I see yog more likely to be superzealous self-appointed town leader who wants to solve the setup on Day 1 than scum, so I wouldn't pick him as target for the time being.
Yeah, I was thinking our cop(if we have one) should investigate either Lift or Agent to clear up if they are an ally or a scum to go after myself.

Atm i'm leaning towards voting dumbledore, if just a bit, so that we could avoid lynching anyone who is town but playing controversially and allow any possible cop to investigate one of them.....but then I might also vote one of the two just to knock one off the list of suspicious players so any cop only has to do a check on one of them......decisions, decisions.

Re my voting ideas above: Which way do you think I and others should go? Lynch one of the 2 above or nolynch and let any potential cop check one of them out first?

ConsulCaesar: I actually like name claiming in flavor-heavy games, when they come with a full claim.
And I think it's better for anyone who claims to claim as little as needed to/possible....but to each their own.

ConsulCaesar: Mine does, but ZFR mentioned in the sign up post that you didn't know to have previous HP knowledge, so I guess he will have given safeclaims to Slytherine.
True, still anyone can google/etc the name they were given and check into it so most could easily verify if their name was within the HP verse quite easily, I think.
=========================================================

Lifthrasil: This is nonsense. That post clearly states that it is three houses against Slytherin. If you were actually Town, you would also know that it is all houses together against Slytherin. Our task is quite clearly NOT to compete against other houses, but we all have the joint task of defeating Slytherin.

The fact that you don't know this makes it very likely that you are scum. Probably you see Gryffindor as your opponent and disregard the other houses in typical Slytherin fashion. Frankly, I don't see any way how you can be from any Town-house and not know that you're in league with the other two Town-houses. And this statement by you really doesn't read like a joke anymore. So I recon it's a genuine slip.
To play "devil's advocate" a bit, agent might be one of those types who focuses on wording of fluff/additional/flavor text a bit too much.....or he could be a scum as you seem to think.

At this point I am leaning towards us lynching either him or you(for various reasons I have noted prior to this) and then investigating the other, or nolynch and investigating one(which would at least give us the alignment of at least one of the tow of you while allowing us to keep both of you alive if you are both town).

Which do you think is the best route to go, if I may ask?

Lifthrasil: That is usually wrong. If someone asks out of the blue: 'which PR do you have' - the ONLY valid play is to answer 'won't say'. Anyone who goes role-fishing in this way will be much more suspect than a player refusing to answer to such an obviously scummy question. So in most situation refusing to claim is Town-play. Independent of whether you have a PR or not. Even if you are Vanilla, you don't want scum to know that. Because it would narrow their target pool and increase their chances of hitting a PR.
Thing is, if town always followed that mantra(especially town PRs) one's fellow town would likely suspect that town PR of being scum(for refusing to claim) and it's likely scum would know to target them(because why would a vanilla need to hide the fact[besides the reason you gave, that is] in the minds of scum reading their posts?).

Lifthrasil: The only situations where claiming is expected and where not claiming may be read as suspicious are: when you are at L-1 (where a claim of 'vanilla' usually won't save you) or when the majority agreed to a mass-claim. In those cases you should claim truthfully. Otherwise you create more problems for Town than you solve with your lie. There are very rare exceptions. Like when there is only one Night of the game left one way or the other and it is 'lie or lose'. Or if you are 100% cleared Town anyhow, so that a lie won't lead to your lynch. But as I said, those situations are very rare. Usually the games go best for Town if everyone adheres to the 'never lie, ever' tenet. Scum will try to follow that tenet too. But they don't have the choice. At some point they will have to lie which can lead to their downfall, as long as Town adamantly doesn't lie.
I agree town lying should be rare, but scum lying leading to their downfall would only help catch scum if we caught them in a lie.....if not then(to us town) it'd be just like they told the truth(if we didn't know they lied).

Lifthrasil: And ONLY if they come with a full claim. Names should remain secret until it is time to do a full claim.
I disagree on both, on a personal level.....the former because I think town should reveal as little as possible(usually), and the latter because sometimes I think players should play for fun/as they want to more than solely to win. Yeah, bad town play, but it's my general philosophy in such games....fun comes first, winning is still important but second.

Lifthrasil: Interesting that you feel the need to point this out. Painting a target on Carradice's back, if he isn't scum.

I really don't like these last posts by Consul and they put him on the 'leaning scum' side.
That being said, it is interesting that Carradice missed that it's 'three against one' too. That either makes agent't case a bit less clear cut, as it seems to be possible to miss that fact. Or Carradice is Slytherin too. But that wouldn't fit his play so far.
Note though, that his posting such somewhat defended myself and other town with non-gryffindor houses....to me a scum wouldn't try to support other house being town and would likely try to cast more shade on them and get someone from them lynched/suspected.

Lifthrasil: That being said, agent using such a flimsy (and false) reason to vote for GR still is a scummy move. So my vote stays.

Other observations: Pooka is either dense or scummy. Repeatedly missing a simple logic correlation isn't like him and either means he dropped the ball or has a motive for keeping to beat that dead horse.
Yogsloth actually does appear more aggressive/confrontative than I remember him. Evolution of play-style? Or is he scum? Something is off with him.

So these two I would vote for too.

Then there is the issue between trent and SPF. Both make valid observations about each other. I get the feeling that one of them is actually right and the other is skillfully defending. I.e. that one of them is scum. But so far it's only a feeling and I'm not sure yet which is which. Of course, Town on Town conflict is also possible as is a distancing play. But as I said, it's a feeling that we have a genuine faction conflict here.
Also holy finger pointing, british batman! You seem to be suspecting(to varying degrees the following in this post: Carradice, Pooka, ConsulCaesar, Agent & either Trent or SPF(did I miss someone or is that everyone you mentioned?).

Why suspecting so many? Diligent town(as I suspect more), or scum trying to cast shade on as many as possible?
=================================================================

ZFR: To clarify:

The sign-up note was written so as not to discourage new players who might feel you had to have read the books (or watched the movies) in order to play.

I certainly had zero knowledge about Supernatural, or about kitsne, and yet played in trent's game.

Do you *need* Harry Potter knowledge in order to participate? No. Does it help to have Harry Potter knowledge?
Bacon? Brown? Pass? ;D

(J/K....I am guessing yes, as it makes one able to play more flavor/etc in the verse the game is set in, for starters)
========================================================
Also to all: I only read up till this post.....though I have seen a bit ahead......will read more and reply more(and contemplate my vote a bit if need be) in a bit.

(@OP: The above bolded bit is not a vote/unvote on anyone)
ZFR: Do you *need* Harry Potter knowledge in order to participate? No. Does it help to have Harry Potter knowledge?
(A great way to put it. Whoever wants to navigate the game with only standard Mafia knowledge, can do it. While, at the same time, the game holds more openings for having fun with it.)

Speech due soon (will try to be concise, and fail better, heh). Sit tight.
OK Caeser's run from 231-234 isn't as bad as I thought on quick skim, because he's at least putting an opinion out on me and other potential investigative targets

hmmmm
Isn't it obvious that Dumbledore's speech is NOT in any way mentionong Gryffindor vs. Slytherine? It was clear for me since the beginnimg.

joppo: And where did you pick this about PRs being Gryffindors?
Because of the "We know Gryffindor's the only important one" part of Dumbledore's speech. Not that PR = Gryffindor, just a lot more likely than the other Houses.
Microfish_1: PPS Can anyone confirm that their name is in fact from the HP universe?
Further question--but as no one is gonna say, please just look to your PMs and think--does your name correspond with your power? That is, is your power one that is/could be associated with the person you are playing as from the HP universe? (eg if we had a Sherlock Holmes game, I'd see a correlation with the player "Lestrade" being a cop; maybe even a naive cop).
Microfish_1: Thank you. Also, I clearly did not ask for a response to the 2nd part of that, just for thinking from those who have them.

>>>>> Just to clarify things: @everyone--I am NOT asking for a response regarding "does your PR matches your character's name." I am asking people who have them to keep this in mind if they see claims from others down the line, especially as it pertains to falseclaims.

And if you have a PR, but are not a person.... IDK what to say....
This is soooo bad lmao
ConsulCaesar: Isn't it obvious that Dumbledore's speech is NOT in any way mentionong Gryffindor vs. Slytherine? It was clear for me since the beginnimg.

joppo: And where did you pick this about PRs being Gryffindors?
ConsulCaesar: Because of the "We know Gryffindor's the only important one" part of Dumbledore's speech. Not that PR = Gryffindor, just a lot more likely than the other Houses.
People, really, was trying to condense a long speech into something a tad less humunguous, but really cannot wait anymore to say this:

=> Can you pretty please stop discussing PMs, PRs, background, you know, the kind of stuff that only can help Slytherin? It is hurting these eyes.

We want them stumbling in the dark. But for some reason, no discussion of Slyths's background? Weird!!!!!

Aqua Eructo.

*A strong jet of clear mountain water appears from the tip of the wand, refreshing the offenders's ideas*

Now, aren't they cleaner?