It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Time to make those cards sing.

CD PROJEKT RED just announced the start of Public Beta for <span class="bold">GWENT: The Witcher Card Game</span> for PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4.
For those who still haven't felt its warm embrace, GWENT is an engrossing card game featuring creatures, characters, and lore from The Witcher series.

You can download <span class="bold">GWENT</span> from GOG.com and start playing immediately.
Moreover, since the game is powered by GOG Galaxy, those playing on PC will be able to do battle with their Xbox One and PS4 friends!

“Public Beta is an important step towards GWENT’s final release,” said Marcin Iwiński, co-founder of CD PROJEKT RED. “We’re opening the gates to everyone who wanted to play, but didn’t make it into the Closed Beta, and — at the same time — we’re introducing some pretty significant content and gameplay changes like adding animated versions of cards for every card in the game, new starter decks, or how weather cards work,” Iwiński adds. “I’m extra curious how all of the community feedback we’ve incorporated will resonate with both current players and those who’re just starting. Please keep the feedback coming, we’re listening!”

In addition to the cinematic trailer, CD PROJEKT RED has also released a gameplay video presenting GWENT’s features (you can watch them both below), and a set of faction videos covering the playstyles of each of the game’s five factions.

More information about GWENT and the Public Beta is available in the <span class="bold">FAQ</span> section of <span class="bold">playgwent.com</span>.

Watch the cinematic trailer.

Watch the gameplay trailer.
Post edited May 24, 2017 by maladr0Id
synfresh: I'll ask again, where is it stated that CDPR has very strict principles where it concerns microtransactions and a online only component? By your standards CDPR could never develop something like a MMORPG.
I don't know, I don't even know if gog and cdpr are the same thing, but for gog it's on the front page.
synfresh: I'll ask again, where is it stated that CDPR has very strict principles where it concerns microtransactions and a online only component? By your standards CDPR could never develop something like a MMORPG.
LiefLayer: I don't know, I don't even know if gog and cdpr are the same thing, but for gog it's on the front page.
CDPR is GoG's parent company (I think). They own them. So if you develop a game like GWENT, based on your flagship game series and then you don't sell that game on your OWN STORE, no matter what it is, how do you think that's going to play?

The problem GoG has is they launched a store but boxed themselves into certain parameters. But those parameters do not extend to their developer owners.
synfresh: CDPR is GoG's parent company (I think). They own them. So if you develop a game like GWENT, based on your flagship game series and then you don't sell that game on your OWN STORE, no matter what it is, how do you think that's going to play?

The problem GoG has is they launched a store but boxed themselves into certain parameters. But those parameters do not extend to their developer owners.
And this is not a good thing.
Anyway if CDPR do not believe in drm-free they could just use thier website and keep gog free.
high rated
LiefLayer: I don't know, I don't even know if gog and cdpr are the same thing, but for gog it's on the front page.
synfresh: CDPR is GoG's parent company (I think). They own them. So if you develop a game like GWENT, based on your flagship game series and then you don't sell that game on your OWN STORE, no matter what it is, how do you think that's going to play?

"CD Project" is the parent company, "CD Project Red" (Witcher devs) and "GOG" (internally called "CD Project Blue") are both subsidiaries of CDP.
CDPR can make games with microtransactions and as much DRM as they want, but they shouldn't be able to sell them on a DRM-free store if that is the case but CDP decides about "exceptions" which have always become the rule in the end by now.

First region locked game on GOG? Witcher 2 by CDPR
First regionally priced game on GOG? Witcher 2 by CDPR
First game that came with Galaxy? Witcher 3 by CDPR
First completely online and Galaxy dependent game? [s]GWENT by CDPR[/s]
(edit: It was actually "The Witcher Adventure Game", sorry)
First microtransactions? GWENT by CDPR

By now, region locks are common, regional pricing is the rule instead of the exception as was promised, online multiplayer becomes mostly Galaxy only by now (exceptions: Screencheat, Terraria and a few others), they plan to add Galaxy to everything (see the last shitstorm) and you can bet that this isn't the last we've seen of microtransactions around here.

CDPR has always been the precedent for lowering policy standards around here.
GOG never stood a chance of keeping true to its mission statement under the control of CDP.
Post edited May 27, 2017 by Klumpen0815
high rated
GOG.com: The game requires an online connection to play and offers optional in-game purchases. Alibi single player campaign will be added at a later date.
Sounds dodgy as fuck. Not on line with the good old gog of yore, but that's part of the course by now.

I sincerely hope New Vegas will be released here soon, so I can finally get some closure (Then I finally got all the highly anticipated games I missed out on due to draconian DRM) and then wash my hands of this place. Maybe I'll be back for the summer sale in a year or two. Or maybe you'll have scared all your core customers away by then and go the way of Desura.
MarkoH01: We have all those DRM-free games here and we'd like to keep it this way. This is what this discussion is all about.

Not if someone should report you. Don't say that I'll do this but somebody could so maybe you should not feel too good with your second account. Also it's hard to take your arguments serious if you don't even use your primary account. If you did so one could also see how long you actually are here. As I've said before: people who know GOG a few years do understand the problem at hand much better than new ones.
tinyE: Other account? Who is he?
Take a look here to see it confirmed.

I imagine it would've went well enough considering the general response here. People would probably be upset that the game wasn't going to be available DRM free but, at least it wouldn't have kicked another store policy in the pants.
high rated
The "fun" thing is the more GOG becomes like the steam the more they don't stand a chance to survive because they would not be able to compete if they would not have this special feature the other store don't offer. Sometimes I wonder if they even realize this or if they are actually planning to drive this car full speed against the wall. I also wonder if they realize how valuable loyal customers are - because they tend to buy again and again while new customers might only buy once or twice and move on.
high rated
The mere fact that gog allows neither ratings nor reviews for this game tells you everything you need to know.

Mr.Caine: Should Cyberpunk 2077 be a steam exclusive if it's gonna have MP features that require galaxy?
If it's going to require Galaxy to play then how the hell is that any different from a game reqiring Steam? Might as well be a Steam exclusive since you're going to need a client either way. Fuck that. I was looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077, but if it's going to require Galaxy they can shove it where the sun don't shine.
high rated
MarkoH01: The "fun" thing is the more GOG becomes like the steam the more they don't stand a chance to survive because they would not be able to compete if they would not have this special feature the other store don't offer. Sometimes I wonder if they even realize this or if they are actually planning to drive this car full speed against the wall. I also wonder if they realize how valuable loyal customers are - because they tend to buy again and again while new customers might only buy once or twice and move on.
I guess CDProject has come to belive that they're strong enough with Galaxy, Witcher and Gwent to go full Blizzard.

Never go full Blizzard.
There are way too many fn meta decks and broken combo decks that need nerfing... but all in all decent game but not sinking money till full release.
Post edited May 27, 2017 by UnrealQuakie
I was very interested in this game, and would have purchased it in dev, but the reviews here convinced me otherwise. Requiring internet connectivity and Galaxy to play? Not interested.
Post edited May 27, 2017 by Stryder2931
Stryder2931: I was very interested in this game, and would have purchased it in dev, but the reviews here convinced me otherwise. Requiring internet connectivity and Galaxy to play? Not interested.
Well it is online only so I can see the justification for needing online but having galaxy i doubt it, seems like gog want's to push the client for people cause there are a few games that I own that you can play with other gog players without the client. just give the game a shot it's decent but wait for the shit storm of meta and cheap combo decks almost every player uses lol
Stryder2931: I was very interested in this game, and would have purchased it in dev, but the reviews here convinced me otherwise. Requiring internet connectivity and Galaxy to play? Not interested.
The game is not "sold" yet, it's not even "In Dev" it's just a multiplayer beta.
UnrealQuakie: Well it is online only so I can see the justification for needing online but having galaxy i doubt it, seems like gog want's to push the client for people cause there are a few games that I own that you can play with other gog players without the client. just give the game a shot it's decent but wait for the shit storm of meta and cheap combo decks almost every player uses lol
Good point, but I was still hoping for a single player version. I am not always connected online, and like playing games without having to worry about connections.