It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

ciemnogrodzianin: OK, do I understand correctly Grid Cartographer allows you to use maps created by other users and in practice may create experience similar to game with built-in automapping?
Yes.

ciemnogrodzianin: Is there any interaction between current player in-game position and GC map?
No. See: http://docs.gridcartographer.com/gamelink/intro

ciemnogrodzianin: Any video showing how it works?
How's this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiTZuPb6xdE

ciemnogrodzianin: Any chance to try myself using some demo or trial version?
There's no demo or trail. If you really HATE it I'll refund you. Seen pretty high customer satisfaction though so I don't expect you will :)

ciemnogrodzianin: I usually play hardcore crpgs using printed maps, but it's not very convenient to use paper during play. I also don't want to draw a map myself.
Well drawing maps is fun, but there are complete maps for this if you don't want to. Possibly not the software for you - Grid Cartographer is designed to be a map drawing program after all.
HiddenAsbestos: ...
Thank you for the answers!
HiddenAsbestos: Well drawing maps is fun
I absolutely agree.
I mean, sure - automapping is fine...but in the old games, drawing your own maps was simply part of what made playing the game entertaining.
To note down all your discoveries, and to mark them on the map...the traps...the treasures...the magic wells, etc...
It made you feel like a true adventurer, who was entering some unknown area and had to cartograph it, to find his way.
Thanks yeah it definitely adds to the immersion.
Update v4.3.9 is now available!

* "Eye of the Beholder 2" (DOS) auto-tracking.
* "Spirit of Adventure" (DOS) auto-tracking.
* Preview edge drawing in editor viewport.
* Custom tile import improvements.
* Console improvements, including .BAT files.
* Fixes and performance improvements.

Download + Release Notes: http://gridcartographer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2131
HiddenAsbestos: Well drawing maps is fun
BreOl72: I absolutely agree.
I mean, sure - automapping is fine...but in the old games, drawing your own maps was simply part of what made playing the game entertaining.
To note down all your discoveries, and to mark them on the map...the traps...the treasures...the magic wells, etc...
It made you feel like a true adventurer, who was entering some unknown area and had to cartograph it, to find his way.
I never understood why pople wanted to draw maps. Back then, we bought gaming magazines which contained a printed version of all the maps for those games, including markers where to find special things, traps and so on.
Maxvorstadt: I never understood why pople wanted to draw maps. Back then, we bought gaming magazines which contained a printed version of all the maps for those games, including markers where to find special things, traps and so on.
Well, and I don't understand today's people watching "Let's plays"...I rather play the games myself - and the same went in the past for the drawing of the maps.

I also bought magazines, mind you...to be informed about the new, upcoming games.

But not, to have somebody else do the map-drawing for me.

Which would not have made much sense, anyway - you still had to walk on your own in-game to the "points of interest", and on your way there, you still had to succeed in the encounters, that the game threw at you.

To use premade maps, I would have thought of as lazy, and it would have deprived me of half of the fun.
Maxvorstadt: I never understood why pople wanted to draw maps. Back then, we bought gaming magazines which contained a printed version of all the maps for those games, including markers where to find special things, traps and so on.
BreOl72: Well, and I don't understand today's people watching "Let's plays"...I rather play the games myself - and the same went in the past for the drawing of the maps.

I also bought magazines, mind you...to be informed about the new, upcoming games.

But not, to have somebody else do the map-drawing for me.

Which would not have made much sense, anyway - you still had to walk on your own in-game to the "points of interest", and on your way there, you still had to succeed in the encounters, that the game threw at you.

To use premade maps, I would have thought of as lazy, and it would have deprived me of half of the fun.
Well, we didn`t see map drawing as a part of the game/fun, but as some kind of work. And you know, youths don`t really like work. :-D
And of course, we really played the games, solving puzzles, surviving fights and so on. We didn`t see using those printed maps as cheating, but as some work, that the developers should have done. I still know how happy I was, when I played Doom for the first time. An Automap? Yayyyyyyy! :-D
Growing up I never saw a magazine that had maps for PC games in it, only mainstream console stuff like NES games.

Maybe I'd have a stronger feeling towards them if that was an option but for me growing up, but games like Wizardry were seemingly designed for you to take on that part of the game yourself and were quite happy to be 'unhelpful' for the players in this regard.

With Grid Cartographer, I've tried to replicate what you'd need to master these games in the way the developers intended, in a more helpful digital form (no more anxiety that you've started drawing too close to the edge of the page!!)

Totally respect your difference of opinion though Maxvorstadt, I'd be silly to claim this was software that's perfect for everyone !
HiddenAsbestos: (no more anxiety that you've started drawing too close to the edge of the page!!)
Hahaha...oh yeah - that was the cartographer's nightmare. :)

Was it Might&Magic, that gave you the coordinates, so you would always know, where on the map you are right now?

You quickly found out, that every map was 16x16 squares, and the coordinates went from 0 to 15 on both axes (x:0/y:0 to x:15/y:15).
And the games showed you these coordinates on-screen - which was an enormous help with drawing the maps.
HiddenAsbestos: (no more anxiety that you've started drawing too close to the edge of the page!!)
BreOl72: Hahaha...oh yeah - that was the cartographer's nightmare. :)

Was it Might&Magic, that gave you the coordinates, so you would always know, where on the map you are right now?

You quickly found out, that every map was 16x16 squares, and the coordinates went from 0 to 15 on both axes (x:0/y:0 to x:15/y:15).
And the games showed you these coordinates on-screen - which was an enormous help with drawing the maps.
Yeah that's right, Might and Magic was a lot more helpful for sure !

I think Wizardry 1 - 3 do say you start at 0,0 facing north (maybe a clue that it's 20x20 but I wouldn't count on it) but 5, 6 and 7 are massive sprawling maps with basically no help at all!!
Update v4.4.0 is now available!

* Refreshed user interface
* Viewport rulers
* Rewritten map file format
* Pencil terrain tiles (Pro/Steam)
* Group tags for Game Link browser

Download + Release Notes: http://gridcartographer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2136
You may already know by now but Fatbot Games, developers of Vaporum are making a prequel, Vaporum: Lockdown.

They're running a level design competition and, since they use Grid Cartographer to help design their games, they reached out and asked if I'd let people know about it.

Here's the link:
https://fatbot-games.com/2019/11/29/level-design-contest-2019/

Best of luck!
Post edited November 29, 2019 by HiddenAsbestos
Nice. Maybe I try my luck.
Any way to reapply for GOG? I feel like their filter loosened by a bit.