It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

WinterSnowfall: Dropped by to mention Drakan - Order of the Flame and Rynn, my childhood crush. Yeah, Lara never got my attention, but a dragon-riding rogue with brains and looks? Yes, siree!
Drakan was cool, had good gameplay, but I hated it for the decaying swords that could not be repaired. I never dared to use my best ones.

That they wanted to compete with Tomb Raider was no secret, they had the model Myrna Blankenstein pose for Magazines and on computer game fairs.

Sadly only part 1 was released on PC, the successor was only available on consoles.

I still got the disk version of the game, sadly without the box (the things you do for your girlfriend :s, I threw away over hundred game boxes ...)
Post edited December 24, 2022 by neumi5694
PixelBoy: The game is actually called "Operation Stealth".

The whole James Bond thing was added to the American release just to make it sell more copies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Stealth
mdqp: The more you know! Have you played the game yourself? Is it any good?
Yes it's excellent. Not sure it would work as a james bond (the style is quite cartoony, the main character isn't meant to resemble any bond), but it was a very nice and thrilling point and click, with an excellent music and some very cool twists (oh that underwater tree). The only weak points were some labyrinth minigames that almost make sense story-wise but feel out of place graphic-wise, but there''s also that kind of stuff in the lucasarts indiana jones adventure games or sierra's manhunter:nw/sf, so it's to be expected with games of that era.

But oh I had been replaying the opening titles so many times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4SWIQBSZB4
(The corpse lit by the opening door was unfortunately a bit masked by the titles, which harmed the dramatic effect a bit.)

Delphine Software were really making quaity games. And Operation Stealth was only refining the design of Les Voyageurs du Temps (Future Wars). Back then, contextual menus in adventure games were quite the revolution.
Post edited December 24, 2022 by Telika
WinterSnowfall: I see I've been beaten to the punch... oh well, we should REALLY get this game on GOG, considering they're on good terms with Warner Bros. Games (and that The Suffering is already here).
Publishing rights for Drakan are unfortunately in the hands of Sony (as is all formerly Psygnosis stuff). So as unlikely as it can get. They will sit on it until the end of time.

Warner got the devs, Surreal Software, through proxy by buying Midway and merged into Monolith. That is why The Suffering games are here - they have both the publisher and devs. But they can't release Drakan without the publishing rights. And Sony is probably the worst company to deal with about anything, especially something like old PC games. PC is basically a swear word to them.

You can safely consider any old Sony-blocked PC games as abandonware.

But as far as Warner goes, it is a crime against humanity that Gruntz is not being sold anywhere. It is a Monolith developed, Monolith published game so there is zero reason for it to not be available. I still treasure my CD with the game, but the greatness of that game should be available to the world. One of the best concepts of a puzzle/action game to date.

neumi5694: Drakan was cool, had good gameplay, but I hated it for the decaying swords that could not be repaired. I never dared to use my best ones.
I actually liked that. It made you try/use other weapons, rather than always just using the one with the most damage all the time.

The main thing I do not like is how extremely-omega-ultra-WTF overpowered the default dragon breath secondary attack is. I always assumed it was bugged or something. Could be tied to frame rate as it's a channeled breath attack or something like that, but I remember it always behaving like that. Makes the game extremely unfun. Click in the general direction of the enemy and even the toughest one melts in 0.3 seconds.... Either it's bugged or some dev misplaced a decimal point.... Either way, it makes all the dragon parts utterly unengaging. Whenever I play through the game, I never use it. Otherwise, there is zero point in obtaining or using all the new dragon attacks.
Post edited December 24, 2022 by idbeholdME
Armies of Exigo

Link on the community wishlist

Armies of Exigo
Post edited December 24, 2022 by SenkorYildrim
The Punisher. The one with the interrogation mechanic.
neumi5694: Drakan was cool, had good gameplay, but I hated it for the decaying swords that could not be repaired. I never dared to use my best ones.
idbeholdME: I actually liked that. It made you try/use other weapons, rather than always just using the one with the most damage all the time.
Well, each one to his own, I guess :)
I am more one that doesn't like to fill up his inventory with weapons, I prefer to look for good ones and then take care of them, repair them and if a game allows it - modify / upgrade them, experimenting with runes and stat balancing and so on.

But in Drakan it was not possible to repair weapons, once they are gone, they're gone. That I absolutely don't like in games.
I do have a few that I would be very pleased to be able to have here, but seeing they didn't showed up till now chances that they will from now on are pretty slim to 0.0001% :)
Most of these games made my childhood better:
- Captain Claw - excelent side-scroller;
- Chrome + it's prequel Chrome: SpecForce - weird but gold atleast for me;
- James Bond 007: Nightfire;
- Project I.G.I.
- Old Need for Speed Games up to Need for Speed Carbon;
- saw some posts about Gruntz, oh yea wonderful game, I just loved fooling around in that tiny little piece of haven.

As I said some of them are in legal rights hell/Need for Speed games like Underground and U2, Most Wanted (2005) and Carbon are effectively out of reach due to music licenses.
Battle of Olympus (NES, though apparently a Game Boy version exists) apparently isn't available anywhere.
I think nobody mentioned Mad TV yet.
Post edited December 29, 2022 by PaterAlf
PaterAlf: I think nobody mentioned Mad TV yet.
I love Mad TV, although I can't really tell what makes me like it so much. There are some "clones" that have been created in more recent years, but none seem to reach the original one.
Does anyone know if the "Microsoft Madness games" (Midtown Madness, Motocross Madness, and so on) are available for purchase online anywhere? They seem interesting, although I never played them personally.
Unreal Gold, Unreal 2, Unreal Tournament 1999, and Unreal Tournament 2004.
I'm surpised if this isn't already mentioned in this thread, but at leasta the search functionlality didn't return anything.

Red Alert 2 or it's expansion Yuri's Revenge aren't sold anywhere.
ppavee: I'm surpised if this isn't already mentioned in this thread, but at leasta the search functionlality didn't return anything.

Because they are free to download and play from here --> https://cncnet.org/red-alert-2, maybe...?.
eXtinction. Difficult to search for on the internet. Found a box in a random e-shop and had fun with it. A sidescrolling action platformer from 2003.
https://www.mobygames.com/game/nick-nasters-extinction

Starship Troopers. An FPS from 2005. Was decent enough.
https://www.mobygames.com/game/starship-troopers

And a game for the interesting criteria due to how impossible it is to search for on the internet because of its name - The Show. No, nothing to do with baseball. Mostly an RTS game from 2007. I'll make it easy on you and post a mobygames link and probably the only video on Youtube that shows at least some of the gameplay. The views number on that video should tell you just how obscure the game is. It also seems to be literally the only video of the game out there.
https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/show
https://youtu.be/-UKODA2-mPI
ppavee: I'm surpised if this isn't already mentioned in this thread, but at leasta the search functionlality didn't return anything.

Trooper1270: Because they are free to download and play from here --> https://cncnet.org/red-alert-2, maybe...?.
Also a part of Command & Conquer: Ultimate Collection.
Post edited January 21, 2023 by idbeholdME