It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Guest post by Frank Gasking

We are simply spoilt for choice these days when it comes to what to play. The games industry is now well over 40 years old and the vast range of titles available to us is growing by the day, with a worth now greater than both the music and film businesses combined.

Regardless of our gluttonous options, there are many games out there that never actually made it to your screens. You probably even know several yourself – maybe that certain demo you played of an exciting new first-person shooter, only for the development studio to go bust. Or perhaps you recall online screenshots and video previews of a new MMORPG that promised so much yet faded into obscurity; never to be seen again. The experiences are no doubt vast and plentiful.

For many, the frustration of not being able to play some of these ‘missing’ games has made the desire greater to want to play them, or at least find out what happened. In many cases, there are valiant attempts to digitally preserve and make unreleased games available for you to play or look at (regardless of how complete), giving a glimpse of what could have been and help ensure potentially years of hard work isn’t lost forever. Crucially though, it is also important to try and hear the stories from those involved in the developments themselves, to share lessons, positives, and mistakes alike for other game developers to take on board for their own future productions.

The author of this very article has been investigating the subject of unreleased games for over twenty years, recently completing a multi-format book on the very subject and paying tribute to ‘the ones that got away’ in The Games That Weren’t. More details and information on pre-ordering can be found at www.gtwbook.co.uk

With the PC/Mac, you could probably write an entire book just on those platforms alone. Here we take a teasing glimpse at a small selection of some titles that have been covered:

Carmageddon TV
Target platforms: PC, Xbox, PlayStation 2

After the release of Carmageddon 2 in 1998, Sales Curve Interactive (SCi) unceremoniously dropped the original Stainless Games development team, resulting in the controversial series going completely off rails (anyone recall the inept Carmageddon: TDR 2000?). Carmageddon TV was yet another misjudged effort back in 2005, with internal conflicts between development studio Visual Science and publisher SCi causing the most damage overall. After several disastrous iterations, SCi decided enough was enough and put the game to rest. Thankfully Stainless Games would later regain rights to the entire franchise, meaning that the series is now in good hands once more.

SimMars
Target platforms: Apple Macintosh and PC

Feeling there was more to just building cities, Maxis wanted to take things further with a full Mars exploration simulation, where you could plan and charter a journey to the famous red planet to then colonize. Due for release around 2000, SimMars was in development for several years and underwent various deliberations and changes throughout, causing numerous delays along the way. When a certain upcoming title named The Sims started to show real promise, the team was moved onto that development to finish it. When The Sims took off in such an unexpected way, it resulted in focus remaining predominantly on the series for years to come; SimMars would remain indefinitely shelved as a result.

Fallout 3
Target platforms: PC (Apple Macintosh likely to have been in consideration)

Not the same Fallout 3 released by Bethesda Game Studios back in 2008, but a completely different third title in the series that was being developed by the prequel’s development studio Black Isle Studios. Codenamed Van Buren, the game had a similar visual approach to the first two games but was created within a fully 3D engine. The team developed an impressive technical demo within a short space of time (which you can find online via various sources) but the project was cancelled when Black Isle Studios was closed due to financial problems at their parent company Interplay Entertainment back in 2003.

That’s not all
You can read more about the above games from their creators and of more PC/Mac titles in the upcoming Games That Weren’t book, due for release in July 2020. There are also a few surprises in store too, with a selection of titles not covered until now - including a Gears of War style third-person shooter, and a story on a surprise completed conversion of a popular Sony PlayStation title.

‘Digging the dirt’ on unreleased games
The book has been underway for just over five years. Why so long? To tell a solid story about an unreleased game requires plenty of investigational work beforehand. You must become a ‘Digital Detective’. Not only is it a case of going through old magazines and websites, but you need to try and get details from those directly involved in the game itself. That kind of information can be golden, revealing information not yet known or further leads.

Where possible, you try to get multiple input and sources, as often memories can blur and distort over time. Part of the challenge though is often in finding those sources in the first place. Many are often completely off the grid, and sadly you’ll occasionally find some people are no longer with us. Sometimes people don’t wish to look back, which you must respect, with some cancellations too painful to reflect on due to personal/sensitive reasons. With more recent titles, you’ll find many will be unable to talk at all, due to signing Non-Disclosure Agreements.

Once you have your research, you can slowly draw out a good timeline of events (depending on how much you can find out) and weave a game’s story together. If you’re lucky, assets can be revealed, even complete builds if you hit the jackpot – though legalities mean that this is rare. Often the only way to play some titles is when an ‘unofficial leak’ is made via an anonymous source.

What else does the book cover?
The book gives an illustrated snapshot of unreleased games from 1975 to 2015, across the arcade, home computer, console, handheld, and mobile platforms. More than 80 games are covered in total, with five specially created 'Hardware That Weren't' blueprint pieces, and interviews regarding titles such as Sex ‘n’ Drugs ‘n’ Rock ‘n’ Roll.

Many games are expanded upon in detail, with those involved sharing their often-untold stories and recollections, as well as attempting to solve some mysteries along the way. Assets are shown for most titles, some never seen until now. Where assets are lacking, there are specially created artist impressions, giving a unique visual interpretation of what could have been.

If you like your gaming books and fancy something different from your usual retrospectives, then hopefully this is the book for you. To find out more and pre-order, please visit www.gtwbook.co.uk

Competition time
Win one of three signed copies of The Games That Weren’t book!

All you must do is answer the following question: What PC/Mac game were you most disappointed to see never released and why?

Post your entry in the forum thread below before June 15th, 1 PM UTC, and we'll pick and reward the three most interesting answers.
1997's "Zoiks!" or "Pandemonium" got a certain amount of coverage in the press during development but was never released. It was a point-and-click game based on Hanna-Barbera cartoons, and the studio had been given all these rules about presenting the characters (e.g. Shaggy and Fred Flintstone, not having been drawn to the same scale, were banned from standing next to each other to avoid Fred looking fat).
Sometimes we think we’ve lost them, and they’re still hooked.
2013 2020 Paradise Lost First Contact
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYMnyebzFfU

If the developers fixes several flaws, this game may be good.
But I think they need to be a little pushed in the right direction.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1183462809/paradise-lost-first-contact/comments
Post edited June 06, 2020 by LinuxFire
Omikron 2.

The first game was impressive, but I feel scope got ahead of design and tech. Separating the three core gameplay systems was a great idea, but some aspects were more developed than others.

I think the technological leap, along with feedback from the first, would have guaranteed the second game realize Quantic's vision. Furthermore, it would have stood out among the myriad of GTA clones as a truly immersive and interactive take on the open world genre.
Darklands
The first game was years ahead of its time with the exploration of Europe(Germany). With the trading of weapons And the use of skills.
I try not to pay attention to games until they are released, so as I scroll through this thread, I recognize almost none of them. I find it fascinating to hear about them and know their story though.

MasterofFiction: Stargate SG:1 The Alliance: The fact that we never got a Stargate SG:1 game is truly an insult to one of the greatest sci-fi franchises. I was looking forward to this game so much back in the day. (I would have settled for the Stargate MMO that was being worked on for a while too, but that got cancelled as well.)
However, I am a huge fan of the Stargate franchise and so I was aware of the many Stargate games that could have been (and partially were, SG: Resistance and the Stargate Command phone game for example). While not really liking MMO's, I do like multiplayer RPGs and Stargate so I was hooked on information for Stargate Worlds. That's the one I most miss never having come to be. I see the posts on Reddit of people who managed to get the game playable enough that you can walk around in some of the worlds. There is no gameplay, just viewing the art, but I've been tempted to try to get that running myself.
Warcraft Adventures springs to mind. From what I have seen it looks amazing and I think it would have been a pretty good point and click game.
Since I was a child I always dream about a PC version of HOKUTO NO KEN (FIST OF THE NORTH STAR) it was released all over the years for all the consoles but NEVER for PC..
I was very sorry that the Babylon 5 Starfury simulator was never finished and released. I get the impression that the developer was in seriously dire straights, however.
Titanfall 3. definitely Titanfall 3
Duke Nukem Forever (the real one)

It's just the only game that could be good if it had a chance to be released back in early 2000s. We will never get a great Duke Nukem Forever game... I's gone... Forever...
For me that's clearly Into the Shadows.

I guess very few either remember or have even heard about it, but that name has stuck in my head. It was supposed to be an action (/adventure?) game with 3D graphics that looked really awesome in 1995 ... even better than Quake, which the Devs proved via an self-running realtime demo that was included on a cover disk.

But you can watch it yourself on Youtube (thankfully, because that old MS-DOS demo is certainly not easy to run) :)
I think for me it's Warcraft Adventures: Lord of the Clans. I didn't know it was so until it was leaked recently and upon play I wondered if Blizzard would have been able to keep alive the point and click adventure genre all by themselves.

Also, I consider Blizzard to be a successor of Westwood Studios (for obvious reasons) and while Westwood did Kyrandia and Blade Runner, Blizzard has never done an adventure game.
Probably Fallout 3 (i.e. Van Buren). While there was some promise for the series at first, Bethesda does not seem to understand nor care about what the series is supposed to be about and lacks passion for it. If Van Buren had come out, I'd have been interested to take a look at the elements even New Vegas didn't get i.e. the different factions, vaults, prison, etc.
Might & magic 10
After failure of MM9 we never got proper sequel from New World Computing.
And Ubisoft proved by releasing "Might & Magic X - Legacy" that they never understood the series.
For me that would be a car racing simulator to be called "Racing Legends" that was announced around the year 2000 by a studio called West Racing. The aim was to create a kind of racing simulator eco system much like what rFactor became later on but they were ridiculously obsessive about detail (they wanted to perfectly simulate the entire moving parts of cars including those of the engines and the wear of every part) so that they ran out of money I guess. Unbelievably I just found that it's website is still online! Sadly I can't post links here it seems, but search for "West Racing" "Racing Legends" if you're interested.

Another game would be the original Duke Nukem Forever version that was shown in those famous trailers from the end of the 90s/early 2000s. Yes, a game of that name was released, but it was far from what those groundbreaking trailers had promised.