It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
YeOlde: Now that's odd. Did GOG staff ever comment on it?
The only answer we ever got was "Market realities." Which means they don't care about fairness, but instead take the highest price they think they can get away with.

YeOlde: Smaller profit or no profit at all? I think the choice is obvious.
I don't agree on that one. Might be true for the moment, but also a little shortsighted , because it tells people that they should pirate like hell, if they want to get lower prices in their region.

YeOlde: Not to mention that First-World poor =/= Second-World poor.
True, but one should also mention that people who can afford modern gaming computers in second- and third-world countries are normally not among the poorest ones.

YeOlde: TL;DR: I believe that we shouldn't be bashing the prices that are fairly low - instead, we should focus on the prices that are unfairly high.
We can agree on this one. I don't have a problem with regional pricing as long as nobody has to pay more than the base price and selected countries get a discount. I just don't agree that it should be Russia who gets the lowest price worldwide.

And to say something positive about GOG: They are by far not the worst shop when it comes to regional pricing. At least they have the fair price package that gives back store credit to the people who have to pay more than the base price.
high rated
And a couple more:

---------------------------

The newly added game Pizza Tycoon is regionally priced:

>>> It is $3.49 instead of $5.99 in regAR, BR, CL, CO, MX, PE, UY
>>> It is $2.19 instead of $5.99 in RU, UA, regUZ

The newly added game Pizza Tycoon 2 is regionally priced:

PaterAlf: The only answer we ever got was "Market realities." Which means they don't care about fairness, but instead take the highest price they think they can get away with.
Hmm... I see.

PaterAlf: I don't agree on that one. Might be true for the moment, but also a little shortsighted , because it tells people that they should pirate like hell, if they want to get lower prices in their region.
Speaking of which, could you cite any sources supporting that "pirate" theory?

PaterAlf: True, but one should also mention that people who can afford modern gaming computers in second- and third-world countries are normally not among the poorest ones.
Actually, that's quite easy to explain in Russia's case: compared to the West, their purchasing power was fairly low before 2014 (Second-World wages combined with First-World prices on many goods - consumer electronics in particular), but it completely plummeted when the [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_financial_crisis_(2014%E2%80%93present)]crisis[/url] struck. Imagine that your video card (which you barely managed to afford several months earlier) now costs twice as much. If the same happened to digitally distributed video games, they would instantly become a luxury, and the piracy rates would skyrocket as a result. Hence the "smaller profit vs. no profit" dilemma - GOG merely chose the lesser of two evils.
high rated
And another one:

The newly added game Sea Dogs: City of Abandoned Ships is regionally priced:

>>> It is $2.89 instead of $5.99 in RU, UA, regUZ
high rated
Bittersweet Good News™ today: a free DLC, and another one with an increased price (and some regions getting much higher surcharges).

The newly added game Ashes of the Singularity - Reinforcements [DLC] is flat-priced (and free)! :)

Pricing changed for Grim Dawn - Crucible [DLC]

>>> Base price changed from $4.99 to $5.99
>>> Price history for this game: On January 9, 2017, price changed from $4.99 to $5.99

>>> Game is now regionally priced ($4.73 instead of $5.99) in CA

>>> Regional price changed from $5.94 to $8.54 in DK
>>> Regional price changed from $5.94 to $7.09 in SE
>>> Regional price changed from $6.19 to $6.99 in NO
>>> Regional price changed from $5.94 to $6.99 in PL
>>> Regional price changed from $5.89 to $6.99 in regCZ, regDE, regIT, MC, MT, NL, SK
>>> Regional price changed from $5.59 to $6.79 in GB
>>> Regional price changed from $5.89 to $6.09 in CH
>>> Regional price changed from $4.29 to $5.19 in AU, NZ
>>> Regional price changed from $3.99 to $3.49 in regAR, BR, CL, CO, MX, PE, PR, UY
>>> Regional price changed from $1.83 to $2.19 in RU, UA, regUZ

Full regional pricing scheme for this game:

>>> It is $8.54 instead of $5.99 in DK
>>> It is $7.09 instead of $5.99 in SE
>>> It is $6.99 instead of $5.99 in regCZ, regDE, regIT, MC, MT, NL, NO, PL, SK
>>> It is $6.79 instead of $5.99 in GB
>>> It is $6.09 instead of $5.99 in CH
>>> It is $5.19 instead of $5.99 in AU, NZ
>>> It is $4.73 instead of $5.99 in CA
>>> It is $3.49 instead of $5.99 in regAR, BR, CL, CO, MX, PE, PR, UY
Post edited January 09, 2017 by muntdefems
high rated
Upcoming regional prices!

Pricing has been set for Diluvion [Upcoming]

>>> It is $21.55 instead of $19.99 in SE
>>> It is $21.49 instead of $19.99 in regCZ, regDE, regIT, MC, MT, NL, PL, SK
>>> It is $19.09 instead of $19.99 in CH
>>> It is $18.69 instead of $19.99 in GB
>>> It is $17.29 instead of $19.99 in AU, NZ
>>> It is $16.59 instead of $19.99 in NO
>>> It is $16.19 instead of $19.99 in CA
>>> It is $12.59 instead of $19.99 in UA, regUZ
>>> It is $10.79 instead of $19.99 in regAR, BR, CL, CO, MX, PE, UY
>>> It is $6.26 instead of $19.99 in RU

Incidentally, these price tiers are almost the same as the new ones for Singularity™, so Cavalary's assumption seems to be spot-on.
high rated
muntdefems: Upcoming regional prices!

>>> It is $19.09 instead of $19.99 in CH
>>> It is $18.69 instead of $19.99 in GB
>>> It is $17.29 instead of $19.99 in AU, NZ
>>> It is $16.59 instead of $19.99 in NO
>>> It is $16.19 instead of $19.99 in CA
Yay! Finally some of the poorest countries in the world get discounts. ;)
PaterAlf: Yay! Finally some of the poorest countries in the world get discounts. ;)
Heh, you bet. Have a +1.
high rated
More discounts for those wretched poor countries!

The newly added game Diluvion Fleet Edition Upgrade [DLC] [Upcoming] is regionally priced:

>>> It is $8.54 instead of $7.99 in regCZ, regDE, regIT, MC, MT, NL, PL, SE, SK
>>> It is $8.05 instead of $7.99 in CH
>>> It is $7.49 instead of $7.99 in AU, NZ
>>> It is $6.89 instead of $7.99 in GB
>>> It is $6.62 instead of $7.99 in NO
>>> It is $6.49 instead of $7.99 in CA
>>> It is $5.59 instead of $7.99 in UA, regUZ
>>> It is $4.67 instead of $7.99 in regAR, BR, CL, CO, MX, PE, UY
>>> It is $2.79 instead of $7.99 in RU

The newly added game Ignition is regionally priced:

>>> It is $2.89 instead of $5.99 in RU, UA, regUZ
high rated
YeOlde: Actually, that's quite easy to explain in Russia's case: compared to the West, their purchasing power was fairly low before 2014 (Second-World wages combined with First-World prices on many goods - consumer electronics in particular), but it completely plummeted when the [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_financial_crisis_(2014%E2%80%93present)]crisis[/url] struck. Imagine that your video card (which you barely managed to afford several months earlier) now costs twice as much. If the same happened to digitally distributed video games, they would instantly become a luxury, and the piracy rates would skyrocket as a result. Hence the "smaller profit vs. no profit" dilemma - GOG merely chose the lesser of two evils.
There's honestly a simple solution to the Russian pricing problem. Keep low-spec indie games low-priced and return prices on high-spec games back to normal.

I live in Russia. I'm poor. Today, I logged in, saw the price for Diluvion and couldn't stop laughing. Because I can't afford a PC which can run it (I burned my money on an actual luxury item), but the price of the game itself is a joke. $20 would be okay. $12 is cheap. $6 is a pricing error. A regional discount on, say, TW3 is as ricockulous as a regional discount on Lamborghini parts.
high rated
Starmaker: ...
Here's a discounted low-spec oldie for you! :)

The newly added game Tachyon: The Fringe is regionally priced:

>>> It is $6.99 instead of $9.99 in UA, regUZ
>>> It is $5.89 instead of $9.99 in BR
>>> It is $3.69 instead of $9.99 in RU
Starmaker: I live in Russia. I'm poor.
Starmaker: (I burned my money on an actual luxury item)
That... doesn't add up.

Starmaker: A regional discount on, say, TW3 is as ricockulous as a regional discount on Lamborghini parts.
You can't copy Lamborghini parts ad infinitum.
Post edited January 14, 2017 by YeOlde
I'm unsure what this thread is trying to encourage: stop buying on GOG and start buying on Steam? Stop buying on GOG until they return to flat pricing, which I assume will never happen at this point? Or is it just meant to be informative?
Post edited January 14, 2017 by tfishell
high rated
tfishell: I'm unsure what this thread is trying to encourage: stop buying on GOG and start buying on Steam? Stop buying on GOG until they return to flat pricing, which I assume will never happen at this point? Or is it just meant to be informative?
I'm not sure what this message is trying to accomplish, especially on a thread that's been doing the same thing for close to 2 years.
Definitely not start buying on Steam, as there it's if anything worse.
Informative first and foremost. Then people can decide what to do with the information.
As far as I'm concerned, encourage purchasing [url=http://www.an-ovel.com/cgi-bin/magog.cgi?ver=752&scp=gdsp&dsp=ipgfsorc&flt=prp~0~pat~0.01~&opt=nsfr]the few still flat-priced games[/url] and discourage (in my case, completely avoid) purchasing any game where the regional pricing includes anything more than discounts for poorer countries, so any where any country pays more than US price OR no country pays more than US price but comparably wealthy Western and Northern European countries (and perhaps not only those) get discounts, as in that case it's the US that pays more.
And, as always when it comes up, the discussion isn't whether to purchase from one store or another, but whether to (legally) purchase at all or not.
tfishell: I'm unsure what this thread is trying to encourage: stop buying on GOG and start buying on Steam? Stop buying on GOG until they return to flat pricing, which I assume will never happen at this point? Or is it just meant to be informative?
Cavalary: I'm not sure what this message is trying to accomplish, especially on a thread that's been doing the same thing for close to 2 years.
Yeah, I shouldn't have posted. Some of the posts make it seem like a "pity party", if you will (wallowing in the sadness that GOG isn't the way it used to be), which can rustle my jimmies, but it's not my place to get involved.