It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

morolf: I know, the entire US political establishment and a large part of their population believes in this demented doctrine of American exceptionalism...who needs international law?
timppu: I am perplexed that the link to that was offered by a pro-Putin person. Isn't Russia a prime example of a country who doesn't give any shit at all about international laws?

It is just a big theater that Putin is now summoning the UN Security Council due to the US attack to Syria, when earlier Russia has ridiculed the same organization over and over again with its vetos and not caring one bit for intarnational laws (also in Syria, but also in Crimea etc.).

morolf: It's certainly a brutal dictatorship though (and it wouldn't surprise me if Assad's troops had indeed been responsible for that gas attack). But I won't condemn Russia's support for it because at least it's a rational policy and the alternatives are arguably worse.
timppu: Yet, at the same time you object US support to Saudi-Arabia. After all, maybe without the current Saudi-Arabia regime, some true islamist terrorists would come into power there?

I feel you are having a bit of a double standard there. You give a free pass to Russia for something for which you strongly condemn US.
Well frankly, you've got a point that things could get very bad in Saudi-Arabia if the house of Saud is overthrown and an Islamist movement takes over...I guess there's a case to be made for US support of the present regime there. But supporting Saudi-Arabia's war in Yemen goes well beyond that.
Anyway, I don't condemn a certain amount of realpolitik...it's the totally hypocritical moralizing about US policy, that sense of manicheaean good vs evil that repells me.
low rated
timppu: I am perplexed that the link to that was offered by a pro-Putin person. Isn't Russia a prime example of a country who doesn't give any shit at all about international laws?

It is just a big theater that Putin is now summoning the UN Security Council due to the US attack to Syria, when earlier Russia has ridiculed the same organization over and over again with its vetos and not caring one bit for intarnational laws (also in Syria, but also in Crimea etc.).

Yet, at the same time you object US support to Saudi-Arabia. After all, maybe without the current Saudi-Arabia regime, some true islamist terrorists would come into power there?

I feel you are having a bit of a double standard there. You give a free pass to Russia for something for which you strongly condemn US.
morolf: Well frankly, you've got a point that things could get very bad in Saudi-Arabia if the house of Saud is overthrown and an Islamist movement takes over...I guess there's a case to be made for US support of the present regime there. But supporting Saudi-Arabia's war in Yemen goes well beyond that.
Anyway, I don't condemn a certain amount of realpolitik...it's the totally hypocritical moralizing about US policy, that sense of manicheaean good vs evil that repells me.
forum moderator fables! please take note of timppu's and morolf's behavior! they are pretending to have an argument with the sole purpose to close this thread too! just like rtcvb32 thread the one about infowars! :V bleaz no klose this threat mkay? they are both born in kosmak, they eat rutzak and they sing pak-pok! they are an affront to nature!
Missile strikes aside - what I found a bit funny was this:

Remember how Trump tweeted to mock Obama over his travel expenses? Well.... if he continues as he have started, he will have spent more in his first year then Obama did in all 8... so if nothing else, I hope you are happy knowing you are sponsoring his weekends in Mar-al-Lago, because you know.... Camp David is just boring.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39497447
catpower1980: And that's why you can't never trust Americans in international matters. The news has just broken up here in West-Europe so I'll see along the day on various forums how the die-hard fans of Trump will justify this.
timppu: Errr what?!? I am not a die hard Trump fan (I liked Obama better), but by the reports US attacked the airfield/site because the recent chemical attacks originated from there.

US even had the courtesy of warning the Russian troops about the attack, and pinpoint it to where there aren't supposed to be Russian troops at all. I'm sure Russians also warned their buddy Syrians about the attack, so in the end (if I read right) there were only 4 Syrian casualties, but the airfield/site got major structural damage.

If anything, for now I see as one of the better decisions Trump has made. It has become clear that Al-Assad and Putin understand and respect only power, not negotiations.

Of course, the mass media here (who is generally quite anti-Trump) tries its best to find the negatives in this, like that this was unexpected (because Trump is supposed to be close friends with Putin), so Trump is erratic and dangerous. I am pretty sure the same media would have complained even more if Trump hadn't ordered such a strike, and would have complained nothing if Obama or Hillary had been in power when the strike was ordered.

Now, I admit it is also a risky move, like the 0.0000001% chance that this would escalate to WWIII and we all die. But I still feel this was a better move than just sending a negative letter to Al-Assad and Putin, telling them please stop killing people with chemical weapons. That is more what I'd expect from wussy-pussy EU leaders, or Angela Merkele-Perkele.

Many people still haven't learned anything from this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIPSvIz9NDs
The pretext of use of chemical weapons by Syria is a lie as it was a lie that Iraq had mobile chemical weapons trucks. How can Assad use chemical weapons when the chemical weapons stock of Syria was destroyed 2013 under international assistance in order to avoid an U.S. Invasion? This is just about creating a no fly Zone in Syria as preperation for the collaps of Syria. It is quite shocking to see that public again will believe those lies as they did before the invasion of Iraq. The results of the Invasion to Iraq we see now, total chaos, immigrants, terrorist supported by Saudi-Arabia. The U.S. are pretty much about any law. Chaos in Syria will effect the whole world.
Also one question to the guys saying russia is no democracy: what is your definition of democracy? When it is about elections, Russia is a democracy, since there are elections, so what is your definition of the term democracy? When you say Democracy is a Change of policy every 4 to 5 years, well I can´t see any change is U.S. policy. People elected Trump in order to break with the military-industiral complex but we all see, there is no Change. George Bush Jr., Obama, Trump are pretty much the same when it is about foreign policy. So do you call the U.S. a dictatorship, too, as you do with Russia?

Edit: Make love not war or at least Play good old games instead.... peace
Post edited April 07, 2017 by TheyLive1984
TheyLive1984: The pretext of use of chemical weapons by Syria is a lie
Will al-Assad and Russia allow an international investigation on the site about this? Or will they claim it can't be done because it wouldn't be fully independent? (see the dismissal of MH17 investigations, pretty much claiming that e.g. the Dutch investigators are lying). I presume Putin would accept investigations only if it was Russia and/or al-Assad alone doing the investigation.

Reading more recent news, now Russia is apparently not claiming anymore that there hasn't been chemical weapons involved, but that they were in the hands of the rebels, and they happened to explode during the bombings by Syria. So the story changes. Ok then, where did the rebels get them? From USA? Or they made them themselves out of thin air?

TheyLive1984: Also one question to the guys saying russia is no democracy: what is your definition of democracy?
I see Russia as kind of a "forced democracy", maybe similar to current Turkey. Meaning, being part of the opposition is made harder, the media is mostly under the strict control of the current rulers (so that it is harder for the opposition to be heard by the public), the courts are anything but independent etc.

Also it is interesting how easily the opposition leaders seem to get shot in "love triangles", or suddenly get quite unexplained serious health problems where their system unexpectedly collapses etc... Being an opposition leader or a strong critic of Putin seems to be quite risky to your health in Russia (and sometimes even abroad), or the very least you can get yourself to court for fabricated charges.

Anyway, most countries get the leaders they deserve, so it is up to Russians themselves to either get their shit together, or live in the withering Putinlandia. Heck, sometimes you don't even need true democracy to do (economically) well, see China, or even Saudi-Arabia.
Post edited April 07, 2017 by timppu
low rated
timppu: I see Russia as kind of a "forced democracy", maybe similar to current Turkey. Meaning, being part of the opposition is made harder, the media is mostly under the strict control of the current rulers (so that it is harder for the opposition to be heard by the public), the courts are anything but independent etc.

Also it is interesting how easily the opposition leaders seem to get shot in "love triangles", or suddenly get quite unexplained serious health problems where their system unexpectedly collapses etc... Being an opposition leader or a strong critic of Putin seems to be quite risky to your health in Russia (and sometimes even abroad), or the very least you can get to court for fabricated charges.

Anyway, most countries get the leaders they deserve, so it is up to Russians themselves to either get their shit together, or live in the withering Putinlandia. Heck, sometimes you don't even need true democracy to do (economically) well, see China, or even Saudi-Arabia.
Dream on. Your revolution will have to wait... Forever! Comrade. Also, you seem to either forget, not know at all, or lost count somehow, of Russians assassinated by Turks and in other countries' grounds. Especially those ambassadors, son. Your partiality stinks from miles and miles away!

Also, everyone forgets that this might be a staged act. Democrats were after Trump and his supporters for being friendly to Russians before, or having contacts before getting a seat of power in the political scene; accusing him and even threatening to bring the lot before court, even! By giving to the bloodthirsty democrat butchers and human-right-fascists, exactly that which Killary was hellbent on unleashing, Trump plays EVERYONE for a fool and going for the laughs, while everyone is fantasizing of him being an idiot or something (which is false by far)! Look, even his popularity has skyrocketed, overnight!

Leftist minds... Ah, the wasted potential.
Post edited April 07, 2017 by KiNgBrAdLeY7
KiNgBrAdLeY7: Dream on. Your revolution will have to wait...
Not my revolution, Russians have to deal with it themselves. If they think it is fine as it is, fine. Of course, when Russia meddles outside its borders, then it is not only their business anymore.

KiNgBrAdLeY7: Also, you seem to either forget, not know at all, or lost count somehow, of Russians assassinated by Turks and in other countries' grounds. Especially those ambassadors, son. Your partiality stinks from miles and miles away!
It is as if you are suggesting I am somehow siding with Turkey/Erdogan? I am not, I feel he is a similar fascist leader as e.g. Putin. I am not even sure what are the current relations of Turkey and Russia, sometimes they seem to have almost hostile relations, sometimes they seem quite close (e.g. due to their dislike for EU and USA; enemy of my enemy is a friend and all that...). I understand the feelings towards Turkey can be quite negative down there in Greece, due to Cyprus and all.

But similarly, it is up to Turks to deal with him (Erdogan). If they feel he is a good leader, what can I say? They fully deserve him then. The only demand I have is that EU will definitely stop any negotiations of Turkey becoming part of EU, or visa-free travelling to Europe.
Post edited April 07, 2017 by timppu
low rated
timppu: I feel he is a similar fascist leader as e.g. Putin.
Yeah, yeah. Heard that before. "Fake News" as always. Human rights suffer in Russia, Putin = Hitler, Trump = Hitler, everyone not giving a$$ to a$$ lovers is Hitler and so on... Get a grip, son! Word in town is that new pandemics unleashed from leftwards (obviously) is, everyone seeing nazis everyone and every face resembling of Hitler!

Stop the hallucination and the equation, before you see even inside your own mirror, nazi or Hitler, one day!
Post edited April 07, 2017 by KiNgBrAdLeY7
high rated
Hey everyone,
Just a reminder to please keep things civil and respectful. This thread is starting to look a lot like some of the threads that have recently been closed so please if you wish to keep discussing the topic further, do so in a respectful manner and take into account what other forum members might think about your posts. Thanks!
fables22: Just a reminder to please keep things civil and respectful.
Yo Fables! Kindly help me come up with a way to properly convey my dismay over Drumpf's 180 regarding Syria in a manner that is "civil and respectful" enough for it not to get deleted by you. Thanks!
high rated
fables22: Just a reminder to please keep things civil and respectful.
fronzelneekburm: Yo Fables! Kindly help me come up with a way to properly convey my dismay over Drumpf's 180 regarding Syria in a manner that is "civil and respectful" enough for it not to get deleted by you. Thanks!
Nah, that's not my job. It's your job to work out how to demonstrate your opinions in a respectful manner, regardless of what they are. If you can't do so, you'll have to either do it somewhere else or keep those opinions to yourself. Yo.
low rated
Internal Russian matters should absolutely concern developed countries. The territory that Putin's gang holds is huge and rich in natural resources. While obviously stupid and wasteful luxuries like solid gold toilet bowls are emblematic of puny third-world dictators, the truly rich who already have all this go for other stuff, like messing with the rest of the world for shits and giggles. Civilized Western states and unprepared for this and can't deal with it. Many social structures hinge on individual people and no individual person can resist "we'll give you more money than you can earn working 24 hours a day for two thousand years."

To illustrate: Zuckerberg "donated" $75M to a SF hospital. In return, the hospital renamed itself after Zuck and his wife. That's not a donation, it's a purchase. Zuck paid for a luxury service which is "name a public facility after myself".
Putin has more money lying around than Zuck and doesn't want even to appear benevolent.

Even if you're a nationalist isolationist ass who thinks, "lololol people elsewhere are dying, who cares", you should still harden your own damn country against Russian money, because Russian money will zuck up your country and your life. If you do care about other people, hardening your country is still the #1 priority because that's where your efforts will do the most good. Remember, Putin's govt freed sanctioned oligarchs from local taxes, because, and I quote, "the West unjustly punished them by forcing them to live in Russia". Yes, really.

There's a newspaper booth near my office with a poster that says, "go to [web addess] to vote to pick the talisman for the Russian Association of Acrobatic Rock-n-Roll". Acrobatic rock-n-roll is what Putin's younger daughter does, and two schools in Moscow have been demolished to build a dancing center for the twat, at taxpayers' expense, of course. It's like if the US govt confiscating Central Park for Trump to play golf in. So if you're into acrobatic rock-n-roll, cockblock her. Don't let her compete, don't let her judge your events, don't sit her in the VIP zone or anything. If you're into dog shows, don't let Shuvalov's corgis compete. If you're into horse races, ban Kadyrov's boyfriends.

"Bawww keep politics out of [whatever]!" STFU, hypothetical wanker. Pundits everywhere roll out their trollies and try to justify wars by sophomoric idiocy like "is it worth to sacrifice thousands of people to potentially save millions, well here's my opinion". Of course if you avoid politicizing everything except war, you're left with no solutions aside from "throw more of my fellow citizens into the meat grinder". Your officials are soft, but Putin's cronies are soft too, and while your weakness is secret money, theirs is public status. There's never been a vulnerable spot that is easier to hit. Do it, and you'll win.
fables22: Hey everyone,
Just a reminder to please keep things civil and respectful. This thread is starting to look a lot like some of the threads that have recently been closed so please if you wish to keep discussing the topic further, do so in a respectful manner and take into account what other forum members might think about your posts. Thanks!
Can you just close it please. This wouldn't be a problem if you'd closed it the first time I asked nicely.

edit: find attached just how long ago I asked.
Attachments:
lock.png (85 Kb)
Post edited April 08, 2017 by micktiegs_8
micktiegs_8: Can you just close it please. This wouldn't be a problem if you'd closed it the first time I asked nicely.
SECONDED.
So what happened to giving infractions for posts that violate the rules, and banning if necessary???
Too much "Work"?
micktiegs_8: Can you just close it please. This wouldn't be a problem if you'd closed it the first time I asked nicely.

edit: find attached just how long ago I asked.
Better still, don't start any more threads, because that way you won't have to pester anyone to close them.
Post edited April 08, 2017 by richlind33