It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The mechanism is now in motion.

With the release of Scorn on GOG, we've prepared a special contest to celebrate the core of this atmospheric first-person horror adventure game and give you a chance to win a limited-edition Xbox controller, The Art of Scorn and one of five keys for Scorn on GOG!

And what is it that you must do in order to have a chance of winning? It's quite simple but hopefully also a little frightening:

Tell us the story of your most puzzling and scary nightmare. We’ll be waiting.

You can enter the contest until October 23rd, 10 PM UTC.
Full rules are available here.

And if you don't remember any of your nightmares, now is the best time to give yourself some new ones. Both Scorn and Scorn - Deluxe Edition are available on GOG with 10% discount that lasts until November 1st, 2 PM UTC.
Post edited October 17, 2022 by Clownski_
Vinry_.: Dang it GOG! You know not everyone remembers their dreams! Anyway, I'm not in. I can't really remember my nightmares clearly.
timppu: It helps if you wake up while you are still dreaming. If you wake up naturally without an alarm clock, there is a better chance you don't remember your dream, at least clearly.
In that case, wouldn't nightmares usually be the most memorable since you wake up abruptly? That is if the nightmare involves you getting chased and the last thing you saw from your nightmare was the face of the chaser before you finally wake up from your sleep. In my case, sure I'd remember some glimpses of memories that I had in my dreams, but they soon fade away as I continue with my day. I'm honestly just surprised that other people are able to write down paragraphs about their nightmares lol. I'd probably run out of things to say after only a paragraph.
I have one but im not sure if i remember the whole dream since its a long time ago and i later invented a method to get rid of scary dreams to avoid dreaming them again or simmilar dreams later
annyway

In my dream i was in a dark cold place, there was nobody there , only me ,and no sounds at all, just complete silence and darkness and the cold
suddenly the dark cold emptyness except me was filled with some kind of mettalic form
this mettalic form kinda drowned me and later become one with my body making my body split apart in pecies with pecies of metal growing out of my body
i then remember i woke up and coud not sleep again
there was probably more to the dream but i cant remember more
i think i was 8 or 9 years old at the time
Post edited October 17, 2022 by Lodium
Vinry_.: In that case, wouldn't nightmares usually be the most memorable since you wake up abruptly?
Not sure, I haven't heard that nightmares would be prone to wake people up, any more than regular dreams. Do they?

Sure people might wake up in a middle of a nightmare (e.g. your spouse waking you up because you seem so restless etc.), but I do sometimes wake up in a middle of regular dreams as well, like that Estonia trip dream I had recently. I don't recall if I woke up due to alarm clock, or "naturally", but I do remember I was still dreaming it when I woke up.
Lodium: i have one but im not sure if i remember the whole dream since its a long time ago and i later invented a method to get rid of scary dreams to avoid dreaming them again or simmilar dreams later
I wonder whether that method involves adding some stuff to your scary dreams. I think I once dreamed of a female ghost with a long hair (typical Asian ghosts), by which Fatal Frame might be the reason behind its inspiration. This dream woke me up, but not at a time where I would just get up from my bed and get ready for the day. So I decided to go back to sleep, but I had to figure out a way to not have that same dream again. So I tried to picture the ghost as one giant entity, and had her surrounded by these things from Star Wars episode 2. So those artilleries would basically open fire at the giant ghost until she'd finally go down. That said, I don't remember if she actually died or not.

Vinry_.: In that case, wouldn't nightmares usually be the most memorable since you wake up abruptly?
timppu: Not sure, I haven't heard that nightmares would be prone to wake people up, any more than regular dreams. Do they?

Sure people might wake up in a middle of a nightmare (e.g. your spouse waking you up because you seem so restless etc.), but I do sometimes wake up in a middle of regular dreams as well, like that Estonia trip dream I had recently. I don't recall if I woke up due to alarm clock, or "naturally", but I do remember I was still dreaming it when I woke up.
Nah, I have no idea myself. I think whether you wake up or not depends on your physical condition in which you sleep. For example, I think I've read somewhere that drinking too much water before you go to sleep could wake you up in the middle of your sleep. But anyone who knows better, please correct me if I'm wrong. Another example would probably be when you really need to pee, so you go look for a toilet in your dream, but then you realize that you're actually in a dream, so you wake up and smirk at yourself,"Not this time!" Lol
Post edited October 17, 2022 by Vinry_.
Lodium: i have one but im not sure if i remember the whole dream since its a long time ago and i later invented a method to get rid of scary dreams to avoid dreaming them again or simmilar dreams later
Vinry_.: I wonder whether that method involves adding some stuff to your scary dreams. I think I once dreamed of a female ghost with a long hair (typical Asian ghosts). This dream woke me up, but not at a time where I would just get up from my bed and get ready for the day. So I decided to go back to sleep, but I had to figure out a way to not have that same dream again. So I tried to picture the ghost as one giant entity, and had her surrounded by these things from Star Wars episode 2. So those artilleries would basically open fire at the giant ghost until she'd finally go down. That said, I don't remember if she actually died or not.

timppu: Not sure, I haven't heard that nightmares would be prone to wake people up, any more than regular dreams. Do they?

Vinry_.: Nah, I have no idea myself. I think whether you wake up or not depends on your physical condition in which you sleep. For example, I think I've read somewhere that drinking too much water before you go to sleep could wake you up in the middle of your sleep. But anyone who knows better, please correct me if I'm wrong. Another example would probably be when you really need to pee, so you go look for a toilet in your dream, but then you realize that you're actually in a dream, so you wake up and smirk at yourself,"Not this time!" Lol
my method was to try daydream a vacum cleaner and then try materialize this in dreams
or suggest to my brain that i have access to vacum cleaner in my dreams whenever i go to sleep
after some tries i succseded sucking up the horrible stuff with the vacum cleaner
So somehow my brain thougth that the vacumcleaner was stronger than the monsters or other scary concepts

Strangle enough that concept seeams simmilar to the ghostbuster movies
but im pretty sure i didnt watch them at that time before some years later
Post edited October 17, 2022 by Lodium
Vinry_.: I wonder whether that method involves adding some stuff to your scary dreams. I think I once dreamed of a female ghost with a long hair (typical Asian ghosts). This dream woke me up, but not at a time where I would just get up from my bed and get ready for the day. So I decided to go back to sleep, but I had to figure out a way to not have that same dream again. So I tried to picture the ghost as one giant entity, and had her surrounded by these things from Star Wars episode 2. So those artilleries would basically open fire at the giant ghost until she'd finally go down. That said, I don't remember if she actually died or not.

Nah, I have no idea myself. I think whether you wake up or not depends on your physical condition in which you sleep. For example, I think I've read somewhere that drinking too much water before you go to sleep could wake you up in the middle of your sleep. But anyone who knows better, please correct me if I'm wrong. Another example would probably be when you really need to pee, so you go look for a toilet in your dream, but then you realize that you're actually in a dream, so you wake up and smirk at yourself,"Not this time!" Lol
Lodium: my method was to try daydream a vacum cleaner and then try materialize this in dreams
or suggest to my brain that i have access to vacum cleaner in my dreams whenever i go to sleep
after some tries i succseded sucking up the horrible stuff with the vacum cleaner i was having a nightmares off on
So somehow my brain thougth that the vacumcleaner was stronger than the monsters or other scary concepts
Lol I see. Hey, if it works, it works!
I dreamed of owning every single game on earth accessible through one and same platform. Everybody wanted to be part of it, I was just one of many in there. Also had all the time in the world to spent with those games, just diving deeper and deeper into abyss of excitement and enjoyment.
Then, I checked what was the platform called that I thought I'd spent rest of my life with;

EA ORIGIN.
Post edited October 17, 2022 by Gradevor
It begins in a wooden shack. There are screams and explosions outside, and screaming children inside with me. Chaos and dirt and noise. Zombies and Army, not sure which is the bigger threat. There are eight children. I find water, try to calm them down. There is fire somewhere. I smell it. So do the kids. Then my mom is there with ice cream and a rifle, telling me to "protect the babies". Then mom gets bitten on the neck and tells me to kill her. I do.

Out the door, full-on Mad Max, when a fast zombie grabs one of the kids. He was slow and whiney, so no great loss. We run and run, through a desert landscape. I blast zombies and am covered in gore.

Then we are all in the original Disneyland, on the Small World ride, drinking tea and singing the theme song.. But there are only three kids. I have no clue what happened to the others.

Yes, I really had this dream
I’m in bed, a restless sleep plaguing my night.
Something’s not right, a growing sense of anxiety brings thoughts of the skinwalkers to my mind.

Preying on us to steal our skins, the only way to disguise themselves in their war against their enemy, the reptillians. Reptillians’ scales cannot be used as disguise, they fall apart, but our skin is kept together, taught on their body, a perfect disguise.

“Light!”

As the anxiety rises that is the only thought that my mind screams, the only thing that can banish those creatures and so my hand darts to the light switch.

I head to the kitchen, parched, can’t hope to get back to sleep if I don’t quench my thirst.
A silhouette passes in front of me. I recognize my mother and I start to call her as I turn on the lights.
Anxiety heavy on my chest.
The light is suffused.
Why?
It can’t keep the skinwalkers away if it is so weak. My mind wondering what could have changed them as anxiety reaches its apex.
Can I win a copy that works in DirectX 11? :)
My most puzzling and scary nightmare:

I suddenly woke up in the middle of a jungle. It was dark, it was raining, and I had no idea how I got there. I was terrified because, within the nightmare, I actually thought that the situations was real. I had somehow ended up there, with me not knowing how I was transported to that place. I started to move about, stumbling around with nothing but the light of the moon to guide me. All the time, I felt as if something hungry and violent was going to jump out of the surrounding vegetation, to try to eat me.

I walked around for what felt like a very long time; and this is probably the only time in a nightmare, that I have felt the passage of hours so vividly. Until I encountered a group of people, about nine of them in total; they were mostly adults, but a few teenagers too. I immediately asked them if they had also ended up in the jungle for no apparent reason; not a single one of them had any idea how they got there, they had all just appeared there in the middle of the jungle.

We all started to move as a group, because there is safety in numbers, and from out of all of the people, I felt as if I had known two of them from before: a slightly overweight man with glasses and darker skin, and a blonde woman with long hair. They both appeared to be in their mid-twenties, and the two of them had me guiding them through the jungle, even though I also did not have any idea of what to do.

After walking aimlessly for a while, they both put on serious expressions on their faces, and warned me not to go near a set of caverns further ahead; I asked them how they knew that, and they couldn't answer, they said they just knew. Despite their warnings, I told them we should continue ahead, but when I turned around, the other seven people were nowhere to be seen. We made our way across the front of the caves' entrances, with the lingering dread of having something hostile suddenly jumping out of them. But nothing came out, we made it across safely.

My sense of relief was short lived however, because as we kept going, the rain worsened and the wind began to howl horribly, as we arrived to a heart-stopping sight: right before us, standing in the middle of the jungle like some giant, there was a huge pyramid made of dark stones, half-covered in vegetation. It had these horrible looking idols and effigies, which looked disturbingly vivid, as some of them were stained in blood and entrails. And that's when I woke up!

Now, here's the puzzling thing: some months after I had that scary nightmare, I met a guy who looked exactly like the man in the dream! But that's not all: we have become good friends since our initial meeting, and one time while we were talking about life in general, he commented how before he met me, he actually had a dream where he and I met in a terrifying jungle, at night, while it was raining! There was also a blonde woman in his nightmare, but he didn't dream about more people being present in the dream, and the caves and the pyramid were not present either; or maybe he just doesnt remember?

Suffice to say, it's quite the extraordinary coincidence that we both dreamed about each other, before we had met, and in the same nightmare setting too. I didn't tell him or anyone about my jungle nightmare, before he told me about his own dream, so it was pretty weird. It's going to be somewhat freaky if, later down the line, we end up meeting a blonde woman like the one in my nightmare; it's going to be even freakier, if said woman would also have recollections of meeting us in a dream. I was always curious about a couple of things too: what sort of things would you find inside of those caves? And what would you find inside of that pyramid?
My most puzzling and scary nightmare is probably the first one that I can remember.

I was young, maybe 3 or 4 years old, and I dreamed that I woke up in my bed and found a broken rib bone sticking out of my chest. I only managed to get rid of it by bending over so that gravity pulled it out through my mouth.
Nightmare hmmm one i can remember was when i got married.. oh wait you mean.. well was walking through our rec park ... in the main office someone was chopping someone up... Godzilla was walking through the park stepping on people .. and chasing me so i became spiderman and tried avoiding his attacks... when i landed someone was killing some one ... i was about 12 when i dreamed this
I'm a kid again, helping my dad load his tools into the back of his car. But this stranger wanders up and starts taking them back out again, which annoys me so much I walk off to get away from him.

I walk past a locked pub full of people, silhouetted in the windows, with strange music coming out of it, and into a corner shop. The corner shop is owned by Dennis Hopper. I look at a magazine that has a Barbie doll on the cover. Around the doll are The Simpsons, floating, wearing space suits and staring up at Barbie.

The stranger from earlier enters and begins smashing up the shop. I leave but for some reason Dennis Hopper has blamed me for this and send as assassin to kill me. The assassin is a woman with a TV arial wrapped around her incredibly thin neck and who has seven knee joints in each of her legs. She follows me up the street and tries to attack me by bending over and using her legs like a scorpion's tail to kick me.

I wake up.
I have very strange and vivid dreams and often remember them. Sometimes I feel a kinship with characters from H.P. Lovecraft's Dream Cycle and other works.

I have dreamt of being trapped in a massive suit of armour, travelling from planet to planet in an egg made of energy, looking beneath alien oceans for the One Egg. In another dream I tore a hole through reality to hack the code of the cosmos in order to undermine a bad relationship a friend was having. In yet another I was hiding behind a tombstone as a xenomorph, a predator and batman fought it out in a horde of zombies.
I have dreamt of finding a monstrous stove in a secred basement guarding my dying grandfather, as its sickly orange light was being cast from every crack beneath the house. In the same vein, I dreamt I was in a wooden labyrinthine house of thousands of rooms, trying to find my dying father, but every time I got close, a wooden dragon would materialise in the doorway to block it.

But the one nightmare that I want to share with you today is one that haunted my childhood.
The dream was very simple. I would dream that I woke up in my grandfather's bed to a bright sunny morning, and when I would cast my eyes onto the rug on the floor, there would be a blade of grass growing out of it. I would reach out and try to pluck the strange plant out of the carpet. The moment I did so a blinding deadly light exploded from outside, like an atom bomb going out in the yard.
I would see myself then. Crying and screaming as the searing light fell upon me.
Then I would wake up, crying and screaming, just like in the dream. And I had this same nightmare 3 nights in a row, even after I refused to sleep in grandpa's bed anymore.
The fourth night, when I refused to fall asleep, was the worst. The dream came for me regardless. I dreamt it while sitting awake in the dead of night, desperately trying to not fall asleep.

Then it mercifully abated.

Until one evening, years later, when I was delirious with fever. The wooden dragon above my bed seemed like it caught life and was going to descend upon me. I scrambled to my mother and sister who were in the kitchen cooking.
My mother's voice sounded menacing to my feverish ears, and the knife she was holding didn't help the matter. So I turned to my sister for help, and she reached out her hand. And with horror, in my delirium, I saw a single blade of grass growing out of her palm.
That was when I fainted.
Post edited October 17, 2022 by Motzy137