It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Lhun Duum: I have many games with the same issue: bound_by_flame, celtic_kings_rage_of_war, children_of_zodiarcs... None of them had problems a couple weeks ago but now they give me the same error:
requests.exceptions.ConnectionError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='gog-cdn-lumen.secure2.footprint.net', port=443): Read timed out.

I hope someone will be able to fix whatever problem the script is having
From the games you mentioned I only have Bound by Flame and all XMLs are ok for this game here.

I have trouble consistently with Arma Gold Edition

www.gog.com/downloads/arma_gold_edition/en1installer3
(delivers an empty file)

and Aven Colony

www.gog.com/downloads/aven_colony/en1installer3
(hangs a while until it times out with secure connection failed).
Timboli: --------------------------------------------------------

If you want to use gogrepo.py, then my GOGRepo Simple GUI program uses it but just to get the MD5 values for a game on the fly ... builds the manifest bit by bit as you need it, so not all downloaded in one go, just the game you are working with. It is not a downloader though, so you need to use your browser etc for that bit.

https://github.com/Twombs/GOGRepo-GUI/releases/tag/v1.5_SG

---------------------------------------------------------
Does this just use the -verify flag?

python3 gogrepoc.py verify -lang en -os windows mac -skipgalaxy -skipfiles *patch*
low rated
phaolo: I'm not sure why people are downvoting you..
I managed to meet some very pretentious and hostile individuals on GOG forums in the past.
Some of them are the kind that would drive personal vendettas into bot networks territory.
So I wouldn't be suprised if someone is actively running one against my new posts at this point.

Or perhaps someone seriously commited to my forum description string joke.

B1tF1ghter: Is there another way to get md5's?
Timboli: If you use my GOGPlus Download Checker program, you don't need to get the MD5 values, but it is a lot slower. It doesn't require gogrepo.py but does need Windows.
Windows is a no-no.
Even deploying it in a YOLO style in a half-assed way on another bare metal would be a bother.
It's a wasted time when my schedule already went out of the window so long ago you could write urban legends about it.

Since you most likely don't know who I am across the internet (hint: I use more than 1 nickname across the net and I am pretty good at not crossreferencing myself across those) consider yourself warned:
I am not afraid to throw criticism and feedback into peoples faces in a very stright way.
So here's some:
1. entire notes.txt shall be moved to FAQ section
2. entire history.txt should be a dedicated changelog, both in wiki section and specific lines per release.
3. You either have an RTM Windows 7 or it didn't occur to you that people actually do see a difference between it and SP1 and that the level of difference between how the two behave is an endless abyss.
4. Drop the "update" from every header in releases. This isn't mid 2000s, people are actually pretty used to github by now.
5. Be consistent with file naming conventions. Use SOMETHING consistently, either . or - or _ ,but not a "random choice every other release"
6. For someone making a small software for testing integrity of 3rd party files you completely and utterly failed to provide the checksums for your own software's releases

I don't need dedicated software to run me an md5sum.
I run command line all the time, and I do my own scripting.
When I get checksums from GOG I shove them into a file and do md5sum -c filename-with-checksums.
Later I produce a slew of *actually usable* checksums for backup purposes.
Md5 is really only to be "more or less" sure that I downloaded what I was supposed to.

For all the people who don't know:
MD5 has been broken for OVER A DECADE.
In fact it was partially broken already BEFORE 2000.
Any IT person these days who *CHOOSES* WILLINGLY to use it for ANYTHING at this point is a disgrace.
It was deprecated literal ages ago by any sane IT department (sane being a key word here). It's not even on a life support, it's already a beating of a dead horse.
It's broken for so long and to such an extent it can be freely made to output whatever value someone willing to exploit it wants.
But it is still better than NO checksum.
Sha1 is btw already basically at that same stage more or less.
Anything for checksumming lower than sha256 at this point is either broken, insufficient / unreliable, or about to be.
Even sha256 is about to be actively exploited with some PoC already out there.
Really at this point (for anyone wanting backups) going below sha512 is mostly pointless.
But of course people who know nothing about deep storage and / or cryphography will have no clue what I am talking about so I am almost expecting to get blasted by some comment here sooner or later.

Getting md5 from GOG isn't even half a success for me.
That's just a first stage to ensure I don't actively waste time for downloading elusive files that may or may not be what was originally uploaded to the server.
It's obviously fairly worthless to have checksums alone if I cannot get the files later.
And as I *said* browser downloads are beyond unreliable thanks to GOG's likely deliberate effort to ignore sane standards and their inability to implement session tokens properly so that resumes are possible *effortlessly*, let alone login-less curl.

TLDR:
Windows NO.
And I need a tool for *reliable* downloads.

Gogcli seems convoluted and it would likely take me time to learn it while I want to download something *NOW*. (so for now I am filing this software for "maybe test someday")

I tested the kalanyr's fork.
I run into some issues.
I will do more testing and will drop a large post about it sometime within 24 h probably.
B1tF1ghter: Gogcli seems convoluted and it would likely take me time to learn it while I want to download something *NOW*. (so for now I am filing this software for "maybe test someday")
Yes, the commands of the tool have a building block feel to them. It gives you a lot of granular control to enable the kind of workflow you want, at the cost of extra complexity (the documentation is fairly thorough though).

Eventually, I do plan to tack an extra layer on top of the tool to get that "just run" feel for the most common use-case and then you can go lower level if something goes wrong. I'd like to eventually embed a web server in it and have a web gui actually.
Post edited February 23, 2022 by Magnitus
I mentioned this on the repo but I'll mention it here too, I'll fix the gogrepoc switch this weekend, and add in some better handling for it the data gog sends back for the xml that's supposed to have md5 data is garbage. Seems like things have settled down but I'm working on another project right now.
B1tF1ghter: Since you most likely don't know who I am across the internet (hint: I use more than 1 nickname across the net and I am pretty good at not crossreferencing myself across those) consider yourself warned:
I am not afraid to throw criticism and feedback into peoples faces in a very stright way.
So here's some:
1. entire notes.txt shall be moved to FAQ section
2. entire history.txt should be a dedicated changelog, both in wiki section and specific lines per release.
3. You either have an RTM Windows 7 or it didn't occur to you that people actually do see a difference between it and SP1 and that the level of difference between how the two behave is an endless abyss.
4. Drop the "update" from every header in releases. This isn't mid 2000s, people are actually pretty used to github by now.
5. Be consistent with file naming conventions. Use SOMETHING consistently, either . or - or _ ,but not a "random choice every other release"
6. For someone making a small software for testing integrity of 3rd party files you completely and utterly failed to provide the checksums for your own software's releases
Criticize away, mostly it will be ignored, unless it has real substance to it, and is not just the ramblings of a Nerd who thinks perfection is better than real life and living it. I even provide source code, so can be criticized even further if you wish.

I am purely and simply a hobby programmer who does things his own way, prefers to do things his own way. I'm not here to win any coding competitions. Being practical and achieving what I need to, in a reasonable amount of time, and avoiding bugs, is all I care about.

I primarily code for myself, that is my main motivation when I see a need. But I like to share when it is feasible. I do sometimes consider the requirements or needs of others, and provide features I don't use.

I am completely self-taught, no courses, barely anything like a tutorial, and my development has been a long time in the making. I generally learn the ropes as I go, but have my own instinctive approach, which serves me better in the long run.

If GOG hadn't killed off the old GOG Downloader, my efforts would likely not have happened ... and I am quite happy for someone else to improve on what I have done, replace it even. My effort is on the back of great efforts by others, and purely Windows concentric. There was a need, and I felt it, and then did something about it. In a way, considering how many come to GOG, I am surprised I am the only one ... outside just command-line usage ... at least the only one who has shared.

What the hell do I care who or what you are. Is it likely to make a difference to me, even if I have used the same nick at another site or two and even cross-referenced with another on occasion? I am not ashamed of who and what I am, and would have likely used the same nick at all places, only it wasn't available. Unlike many I am an open kind of guy.

If you don't find my efforts pleasing, well good luck to you, you don't have to use my offerings.

It is amazing sometimes, the folk that present themselves here.

I tried to be helpful to you.

If you don't think I am consistent, then clearly you have likely speed read and not really taken things in properly. I couldn't be more consistent, and everything I do has a purpose and reason behind it ... including being different, using my own preferred naming conventions etc. Anything not strictly necessary, that slows my coding down or eats into my free time, doesn't happen.

My programs (GUIs) are small and unimportant, and only the pedantic would need an MD5 for them. They are not like the games here being downloaded, where it is vitally important to make sure they are okay for archival reasons. I also use what I code, almost daily. I failed at my Robot exams.

Most things are about mindsets, and yours is clearly very different to mine. In short we seem to think very differently about things.
MatrixRaven: Does this just use the -verify flag?

python3 gogrepoc.py verify -lang en -os windows mac -skipgalaxy -skipfiles *patch*
No, it only uses gogrepo.py to get the manifest entry for a game, and then does its own file size, MD5 and ZIP checking based on that manifest entry.
low rated
Timboli: Criticize away, mostly it will be ignored, unless it has real substance to it, and is not just the ramblings of a Nerd who thinks perfection is better than real life and living it. I even provide source code, so can be criticized even further if you wish.
Timboli: My programs (GUIs) are small and unimportant, and only the pedantic would need an MD5 for them. They are not like the games here being downloaded, where it is vitally important to make sure they are okay for archival reasons.
The level of hypocrisy you show here is hilarious.

Timboli: I am purely and simply a hobby programmer who does things his own way, prefers to do things his own way. I'm not here to win any coding competitions.
These are all but suggestions.
You are also free to ignore any existing standards and good practises.
You are free to do whatever you want.
You are for example free to keep ignoring this thing called "license".

But if you can't take legitimate feedback (feedback that would help tidy up and improve your project) and instead go for name calling then something is clearly wrong with the way you handle things.

Timboli: I tried to be helpful to you.
Back to you.
Apparently giving you feedback is seen as hostility.

Timboli: My programs (GUIs) are small and unimportant, and only the pedantic would need an MD5 for them. They are not like the games here being downloaded, where it is vitally important to make sure they are okay for archival reasons.
I guess it is too much to ask for author of software supposedly meant for integrity verification to give people using it an option to make sure the programm itself works as intended.
Perhaps you got lucky enough in your life to NEVER encounter a software download that finished no problem, but a bit flip squeezed through all the netcode crc and made the software behave erratically making it hard to debug the issue with it.
As I said, you are free to ignore any feedback, any existing standards, books, and good practises.
It's your own precious thing. You are free to ignore everything and go against all odds and everyone.
If you can't take legit feedback and you see it as a personal attack:
YOU ARE FREE TO IGNORE IT.
Obviously.

Timboli: Most things are about mindsets, and yours is clearly very different to mine. In short we seem to think very differently about things.
Clearly.
And I may potentially forfeit making any comments on that considering how you can't take actual feedback seriously.

Kalanyr: I'll fix the gogrepoc switch this weekend
I hit an issue (perhaps unrelated) that seems to reproduce consistently.
I will post about it and my other findings somewhere within 24 h.
Perhaps (who knows) my feedback will be meaningful.
Perhaps not.
We'll see.

Btw, if you can (I am not 100% certain how it is if the branch you forked doesn't have one) then add a license please.
phaolo: I'm not sure why people are downvoting you..
B1tF1ghter: I managed to meet some very pretentious and hostile individuals on GOG forums in the past.

you most likely don't know who I am across the internet

you completely and utterly failed to provide the checksums for your own software's releases

Any IT person these days who *CHOOSES* WILLINGLY to use it for ANYTHING at this point is a disgrace.

But of course people who know nothing about deep storage and / or cryphography will have no clue what I am talking about so I am almost expecting to get blasted by some comment here sooner or later.

The level of hypocrisy you show here is hilarious.

something is clearly wrong with the way you handle things.
Really phaolo? No idea why people are downvoting this unpleasant person?

I wouldn't blame bots...
low rated
lupineshadow: No idea why people are downvoting this unpleasant person?
Obviously plenty of people exist who throw tantrums when met with deserved criticism.
Also, I won't make it easier for anybody to accept well documented technical truths (md5 being broken for "a while" being an understatement and about lack of SANITY to willingly choose it at this point).
It takes some maturity to be able to take the criticism and build upon it instead of getting "offended by feedback that may hurt your ego".
Frankly, I don't care how people respond to it.
Ungrown people on the forums are not my problem.

lupineshadow: I wouldn't blame bots...
I on the other hand am aware of *MY* public / PRIVATE interactions on this platform and am not ruling out bots at all.
Of course they don't have to be the only source.
But I am not denying a possibility of their activity against me.

It's incredibly immature to focus on someone's ego instead of the actual feedback provided too.
low rated
does this work already?
B1tF1ghter: Obviously plenty of people exist who throw tantrums when met with deserved criticism.
The way you are expressing yourself is not criticism but harassment, so I encourage you to take the same steps as Linus Torvalds and seek help to "get some assistance on how to understand people's emotions and respond appropriately" and to read the Contributor Covenant adopted by many open source projects in the aftermath of that event. If that's not something you are willing to do, fine, but others and myself are better off without you participating to this thread.
So I tried a full update using a VPN to connect from a complete different continent and this time around instead of dozens of games not updating correctly, the only game with which I had an issue was ironically The Witcher 3. So I think there might be some truth to my hypothesis of some servers having problems in some regions.
MatrixRaven: Does this just use the -verify flag?

Timboli: No, it only uses gogrepo.py to get the manifest entry for a game, and then does its own file size, MD5 and ZIP checking based on that manifest entry.
Excellent, thanks. I've downloaded it and will give it a try. I like your apps. Thanks for sharing them.
low rated
B1tF1ghter: Obviously plenty of people exist who throw tantrums when met with deserved criticism.
Lhun Duum: The way you are expressing yourself is not criticism but harassment, so I encourage you to take the same steps as Linus Torvalds and seek help to "get some assistance on how to understand people's emotions and respond appropriately" and to read the Contributor Covenant adopted by many open source projects in the aftermath of that event. If that's not something you are willing to do, fine, but others and myself are better off without you participating to this thread.
the only appropriate response is never give in to their cries, they will leave if they don't like being not welcomed
feel free to leave