It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

teceem: People should make individual decisions and not join lynch mobs.
It is rather curious to see that those who would rouse the rabble often don't have accessible profiles or, if they do, often have them locked under privacy. We'll never quite be certain if they've stopped buying or not.
teceem: People should make individual decisions and not join lynch mobs.
TheMonkofDestiny: It is rather curious to see that those who would rouse the rabble often don't have accessible profiles or, if they do, often have them locked under privacy. We'll never quite be certain if they've stopped buying or not.
Good point! But I don't find it that curious; 'Do as I say, not as I do" is a classic!
TerriblePurpose: Is there a tutorial for dummies to get this set up and running on Windows 10? And by 'dummies' I mean someone like me that knows nothing about Python.
timppu: I'll try (this goes from memory so hopefully I don't make mistakes):

1. Go to https://www.python.org/ and download the Python 3.x.x installer for Windows. Currently the very latest python is 3.8.2, the latest stable version is 3.7.7. I guess either will do fine.

2. Install it on your PC. Tick the box that says "Add Python 3.x to PATH". This makes sure you can use python from any directory in Windows, without having to specify each time the full path to python.

3. Go to https://github.com/Kalanyr/gogrepoc
- In the "Branch" box, select "dev" (by default it is "master").
- Click on "Clone or download" and "Download ZIP".
- Uncompress the gogrepoc-dev.zip file to any folder you want.

4. Go to the Windows Command Prompt (click on the Windows Start Menu icon, type cmd and press enter), and write these commands:
pip install html5lib
pip install html2text
pip install six
pip install requests
pip install pyopenssl

5. In the Command Prompt, go to the directory where you uncompressed gogrepoc and where gogrepoc.py is, e.g.:
cd \users\yourname\downloads\gogrepoc-dev\

6. Login (create a login cookie for gogrepoc)
python gogrepoc.py login
Username: (give your GOG email address, e.g. myname@gmail.com)
Password: (your GOG password)
At this point it may ask for two-factor authentication code from your email, but if you have logged into gog.com before from your web browser on the same PC (from the same IP address), I think it doesn't require this.
If it says "login successful", you are fine.

7. Above was the installation/setup part. You don't need to use that "login" command anymore when using gogrepo, as long as you have that valid login cookie (gog-cookies.dat) in the gogrepoc directory. I guess the cookie will become old and invalid at some point, at which point just run that login command again.

8. Below is the normal usage of gogrepo. In these examples your GOG game installers (English Windows versions only) will be downloaded into the e.g. D:\GOG_installers\ subdirectory which you have created beforehand, change the path if needed. Read the README.md file in Notepad to learn more about different gogrepo commands.

python gogrepoc.py update -lang en -os windows
python gogrepoc.py download D:\GOG_installers\
python gogrepoc.py clean D:\GOG_installers\
python gogrepoc.py verify D:\GOG_installers\

Just repeat those four commands whenever you want to update your local GOG installer collection up to date. The clean command will move any old and obsolete files into a special !orphaned directory, e.g. D:\GOG_installers\!orphaned\. You might want to check that directory once in a while to remove any old GOG installer files you don't want to keep anymore. In theory you can always just delete the folders and files within that directory, but just in case you want to keep something that GOG has removed from its servers...
I just realized I never thanked you for this awesome post. So I'm rectifying that now. Sorry for the incredibly late reply, but thank you so much for this incredibly detailed and excellent post. It's much, much appreciated!
drrhodes: Be aware that gog has stopped flagging updates on the account/games page and stopped sometime around April 1, 2020. I created a support ticket, "Request #616533" which has not received an answer in several weeks. I have decided to boycott gog until this is fixed. I invite others to join me in no longer buying through gog.
teceem: I'm not joining anyone. People should make individual decisions and not join lynch mobs.
Hardly a lynch mob, but the choice is yours. Support those who do not and will not use galaxy or don't support. As far as I can tell, gog hasn't mentioned having stopped flagging updating games, nor have they responded in the forum or to my support ticket. I feel that something must be done to get their attention and get some kind of response. Have they deliberately stopped flagging updated games? Is it some snafu from a galaxy update? Are most of the gog employees in the hospital with covid-19? Has the radom number god forsaken us?

But do what you want and ignore us poor souls who must look elsewhere for getting gog's attention.
drrhodes: But do what you want and ignore us poor souls who must look elsewhere for getting gog's attention.
You don't have to look elsewhere, you choose to look elsewhere. I don't think you'll find many, if any, sites which

a) offer downloadable installers (yes yes, some do, like indiegala and humblebundle)
b) mark for you clearly which game installers have been updated since the last you you downloaded them.

That is not to say I wouldn't prefer that back because now even gogrepo users apparently have to run a full gogrepo update each and every time, in order for gogrepo to even see which games have been updated (or are new). At least that is how it seems to me now.

Even then, I don't consider this big enough issue that I'd stop buying games from GOG.
drrhodes: But do what you want and ignore us poor souls who must look elsewhere for getting gog's attention.
timppu: You don't have to look elsewhere, you choose to look elsewhere. I don't think you'll find many, if any, sites which

a) offer downloadable installers (yes yes, some do, like indiegala and humblebundle)
b) mark for you clearly which game installers have been updated since the last you you downloaded them.

That is not to say I wouldn't prefer that back because now even gogrepo users apparently have to run a full gogrepo update each and every time, in order for gogrepo to even see which games have been updated (or are new). At least that is how it seems to me now.

Even then, I don't consider this big enough issue that I'd stop buying games from GOG.
Perhaps I didn't express myself well. I meant that poor souls like me would need some other way to get gog's attention about this problem if few people are willing to boycott gog for a while.

In any case, to mis-quote a wiser person than I am, "do or don't do, there is no update flag".
Given the issues with Covid-19 at the moment, I think its probably a bit too early to assume they've deliberately stopped marking titles as updated.

There are some other options to do faster checks for updates than using a full update, though they won't be as fast as just checking an updated flag or as complete as a full update check unfortunately, if the situation persists
Hi, first I want to thanks all developers that have been updating this amazing tool, it really helps a lot with managing library once it gets big enough.

I've been using https://github.com/eddie3/gogrepo for quite a while and now I want to switch to https://github.com/Kalanyr/gogrepoc fork because of Python 3 support, new features and active development overall.

I wounder if the old manifest file and base directory compatible with this fork?

Based on the readme it seems that I just have to run:
python3 gogrepoc.py update -os windows -lang en -skiphidden
python3 gogrepoc.py download
instead of:
python gogrepo.py update -os windows -lang en -skipknown
python gogrepo.py update -os windows -lang en -updateonly
python gogrepo.py download
And it will pick up from where it left of.

Am I right or do I have to migrate somehow, or missing some other differences with parameters?
Post edited May 13, 2020 by ILjaID
ILjaID: Hi, first I want to thanks all developers that have been updating this amazing tool, it really helps a lot with managing library once it gets big enough.

I've been using https://github.com/eddie3/gogrepo for quite a while and now I want to switch to https://github.com/Kalanyr/gogrepoc fork because of Python 3 support, new features and active development overall.

I wounder if the old manifest file and base directory compatible with this fork?

instead of:

Am I right or do I have to migrate somehow, or missing some other differences with parameters?
That's how it should work theoretically and I think I got most of the bugs but back up your original manifest first. If anything goes wrong let me know and I'll add fixes.
Maybe this has been spoken of, but without the update tags unless the game is new we need to do a full update now.. anyone found a way around that or to speed it up?

Not a super big deal but man that takes a long time!
Meh, it was bound to happen that I will once again run out of space. Not surprising as newer releases will be bigger and bigger. It doesn't feel like that long ago when I had to divide my GOG (Windows English) installer collection to two 2TB USB HDDs as I ran over the 2TB limit.

I later bought a 5TB USB HDD (2.5" USB-powered)... and now I am almost full there too. Oh well, I guess I have to go back to the process of dividing the GOG installer archive to two separate HDDs like I did before buying the 5TB HDD (for now I guess I can use one of my older 2TB USB-powered HDDs for the second drive):

1. Create a fresh new manifest file with gogrepo update
2. Divide the manifest file into two manually.
3. Run two instances of gogrepo download/clean/verify, pointing to two different HDDs.

At least it can be done, but it is extra work. I had the wish earlier that gogrepo would allow dividing the installers to several paths but I don't think that has been implemented. Maybe I am the only gogrepo user with this space issue. :D Or then others are using other means to create bigger partitions where all the installers fit, like joining several hard drives into one partition (can be done both in Windows and Linux), but I prefer keeping my GOG game installers on easily portable USB-powered HDDs.

I quickly checked the HDD market and it appears that at least for portable 2.5" USB powered HDDs, the market and technology hasn't really progressed. The place from where I bought the 5TB HDD a couple of years ago, 5TB is still the biggest size they are selling. I guess it is cheaper today than back then though.

Everything is just about SSDs nowadays, people buying meager 1TB SSDs as if they were big or something...
Post edited May 16, 2020 by timppu
timppu: Maybe I am the only gogrepo user with this space issue. :D Or then others are using other means to create bigger partitions where all the installers fit, like joining several hard drives into one partition (can be done both in Windows and Linux), but I prefer keeping my GOG game installers on easily portable USB-powered HDDs.

I quickly checked the HDD market and it appears that at least for portable 2.5" USB powered HDDs, the market and technology hasn't really progressed. The place from where I bought the 5TB HDD a couple of years ago, 5TB is still the biggest size they are selling. I guess it is cheaper today than back then though.
Nope, i imagine you are not the only one with storage concerns :).
That's why i made the jump from 2.5" to 3.5" storage, 2TB to 8TB disks, WD elements to the my book variant, they have options upto 14 TB in single, and 28 TB in the duo. A little less portable and not usb only, but increased potential future capacity.
And unless tecnology changes at some point i'll have to consider a NAS or DAS setup.
darkangelz: Nope, i imagine you are not the only one with storage concerns :).
That's why i made the jump from 2.5" to 3.5" storage, 2TB to 8TB disks, WD elements to the my book variant, they have options upto 14 TB in single, and 28 TB in the duo. A little less portable and not usb only, but increased potential future capacity.
Yeah I may have to go back to 3,5" (USB) storage. Because I am a laptop gamer, I just kinda like how easy it is to carry your whole (GOG) game collection with the laptop, on a small USB-powered 2.5" HDD, even if I went abroad etc. To me a 2-5TB USB HDD is like a big-ass USB flash memory.

3.5" HDDs are for laptop use. I do have that USB HDD dock station on my desk that has 2x 8TB HDDs, but currently they are for my non-GOG archives.

If CPU and GPU speeds are not following the Moore's Law, neither seem storage capacity increase at the same rate it used to. Going to SSD was even a setback, suddenly people had to survive with small 128-256GB SSDs (I guess nowadays the "premium" SSD size is 1TB, and 512GB is the most common one).

I've seen those external USB SSDs, and their point is totally lost on me. Less storage capacity, and the USB will probably be a bottleneck so that you can't use the full SSD speed anyway. The only advantages with them I can think of is that they use less power (electricity) and are resistant to physical shocks.
Post edited May 16, 2020 by timppu
ILjaID: Hi, first I want to thanks all developers that have been updating this amazing tool, it really helps a lot with managing library once it gets big enough.

instead of:

Kalanyr: That's how it should work theoretically and I think I got most of the bugs but back up your original manifest first. If anything goes wrong let me know and I'll add fixes.
Hi, sorry for the late reply, only now got my hands on it. When running download after calling update once I'm getting next exception:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "gogrepoc.py", line 2779, in <module>
main(process_argv(sys.argv))
File "gogrepoc.py", line 2541, in main
cmd_download(args.savedir, args.skipextras, args.skipids, args.dryrun, args.ids,args.os,args.lang,args.skipgalaxy,args.skipstandalone,args.skipshared, args.skipfiles,args.downloadlimit)
File "gogrepoc.py", line 1529, in cmd_download
handle_game_renames(savedir,items,dryrun)
File "gogrepoc.py", line 512, in handle_game_renames
_ = game.galaxyDownloads
File "gogrepoc.py", line 257, in __getattr__
raise AttributeError(key)
AttributeError: galaxyDownloads

I have Python 3.8 installed from MS store.

It's not a huge deal though, I was planning full manifest update anyway, so I've just backed up the old one (in case you want it for debug or whatever) and rerun update in new folder, the manifest generated by clean run works as expected and is compatible with already downloaded installers and folder structure.
Post edited May 16, 2020 by ILjaID
Kalanyr: That's how it should work theoretically and I think I got most of the bugs but back up your original manifest first. If anything goes wrong let me know and I'll add fixes.
ILjaID: Hi, sorry for the late reply, only now got my hands on it. When running download after calling update once I'm getting next exception:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "gogrepoc.py", line 2779, in <module>
main(process_argv(sys.argv))
File "gogrepoc.py", line 2541, in main
cmd_download(args.savedir, args.skipextras, args.skipids, args.dryrun, args.ids,args.os,args.lang,args.skipgalaxy,args.skipstandalone,args.skipshared, args.skipfiles,args.downloadlimit)
File "gogrepoc.py", line 1529, in cmd_download
handle_game_renames(savedir,items,dryrun)
File "gogrepoc.py", line 512, in handle_game_renames
_ = game.galaxyDownloads
File "gogrepoc.py", line 257, in __getattr__
raise AttributeError(key)
AttributeError: galaxyDownloads

I have Python 3.8 installed from MS store.

It's not a huge deal though, I was planning full manifest update anyway, so I've just backed up the old one (in case you want it for debug or whatever) and rerun update in new folder, the manifest generated by clean run works as expected and is compatible with already downloaded installers and folder structure.
Hmmm. I know what's caused that error, so it's all good. Thank you for the report.