It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

50 games for the free OS available right NOW!

A while ago, [url=http://www.gog.com/news/gogcom_soon_on_more_platforms]we've announced our plans to add Linux support as one of the features of our digital platform, with 100 games on the launch day sometime this fall. We've put much time and effort into this project and now we've found ourselves with over 50 titles, classic and new, prepared for distribution, site infrastructure ready, support team trained and standing by, and absolutely no reason to wait until October or November. We're still aiming to have at least 100 Linux games in the coming months, but we've decided not to delay the launch just for the sake of having a nice-looking number to show off to the press. It's not about them, after all, it's about you. So, one of the most popular site feature requests on our community wishlist is granted today: Linux support has officially arrived on GOG.com!

The first 50+ titles we've have in store for you come from all the corners of our DRM-Free catalog. Note that we've got many classic titles coming officially to Linux for the very first time, thanks to the custom builds prepared by our dedicated team of penguin tamers. That's over twenty fan-favorite GOG.com classics, like &[url=http://www.gog.com/game/flatout_2]Flatout 2, , <a href="http://www.gog.com/game/darklands">Darklands, or Realms of the Haunting we've personally ushered one by one into the welcoming embrace of Linux gamers. That's already quite a nice chunk of our back-catalog, and you can expect more from our dedicated Linux team soon!

Now, for the recent titles. We've got some indie games with native Linux versions that finally find their well-deserved spot in our store. Among them, debuting on Linux, - a well received original comedic Sci-Fi puzzler. On top of that, be on the lookout for two new additions to the GOG.com catalog: [url=http://www.gog.com/game/gods_will_be_watching]Gods Will Be Watching (coming in a couple of hours) and Unrest:Special Edition (Linux build coming right up!), both of them very fresh and intriguing. This is the very first time we can provide you with all the PC versions of a premiere game, and we will continue to do so in the future. If there's a Linux version of a title we're releasing, our aim is to deliver it to you Day-1. But enough about us, let's talk about the games. Here's what you can be playing on Linux today:

Anomaly Warzone Earth
Ascendant
Bionic Dues
Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold - first time on Linux!
Blake Stone: Planet Strike - first time on Linux!
Bloodnet - first time on Linux!
Braveland
CLARC - first time on Linux!
Darklands - first time on Linux!
Darwinia
Defcon
Don't Starve + DLC
Dragonsphere - first time on Linux!
Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition
FlatOut - first time on Linux!
Flatout 2 - first time on Linux!
Fragile Allegiance - first time on Linux!
Gemini Rue
Gods Will Be Watching
Hammerwatch
Hocus Pocus - first time on Linux!
Kentucky Route Zero
The Last Federation
Legend of Grimrock
Litil Divil - first time on Linux!
Long Live the Queen
MouseCraft
Multiwinia
Normality - first time on Linux!
Pinball Gold Pack - first time on Linux!
Pinball World - first time on Linux!
Pirates! Gold Plus - first time on Linux!
Realms of the Haunting - first time on Linux!
Rex Nebular and the Cosmic Gender Bender - first time on Linux!
Rise of the Triad: Dark War - first time on Linux!
Shattered Haven
The Shivah HD
Sid Meier's Colonization - first time on Linux!
Sid Meier's Covert Action - first time on Linux!
Sir, You Are Being Hunted
Slipstream 5000 - first time on Linux!
Space Pirates and Zombies
Spacechem
Stargunner - first time on Linux!
SteamWorld Dig
Super Hexagon
Surgeon Simulator 2013
Sword of the Samurai - first time on Linux!
Teslagrad
Unrest:Special Edition (Linux build on the way!)
Uplink
VVVVVV

As if this wasn't exciting enough, we've put more than half of these titles on a special promo! Head out to the promo page and find out which of them you can get up to 75% off until Tuesday, 9:59AM GMT. Of course, all of the games from the list above that you already own will be updated with Linux versions with no additional cost for you, just as you might have expected from GOG.com.

"OK, but how will Linux support actually work on GOG.com" - you might ask. For both native Linux versions, as well as special builds prepared by our team, GOG.com will provide distro-independent tar.gz archives and support convenient DEB installers for the two most popular Linux distributions: Ubuntu and Mint, in their current and future LTS editions. Helpful and responsive customer support has always been an important part of the GOG.com gaming experience. We wouldn't have it any other way when it comes to Linux, and starting today our helpdesk offers support for our official Linux releases on Ubuntu and Mint systems.

Diversity and freedom of choice have always been an important part of the GOG.com way. We're very glad that we could improve our service with the addition of the free (and DRM-Free) alternative to the commercial operating systems. Talking with gamers is just as important, so we're counting on your feedback! If you've got any questions, suggestions, or run into any trouble, just tell us in the forum thread below this post. Just please be gentle, this is [url=http://youtu.be/qBxbPts5tOk" target="_blank]our very first time[/url] with Linux. Happy launch day, everyone!
Redfern: You are right and wrong at same time. Its not like i ever want to cover up Humble's mistakes and i, basically, agree on that Humble have now way too much attention to Steam and AAA titles but lets take a look on that from a little different perspective
[…]
Situation got definitively worse then earlier, but its still too early to completely pass on Humble.
I can agree on this. It's not like I do not look at Humble Bundle's offerings any more. But they once were the bright and shiny future. This is no longer the case. They have gone mainstream, badly. True, they still do offer some titles DRM-free and/or for Linux. But it almost gets buried under all the bloated Steam-Windows bulk.

I used to buy all HBs blindly. This is not the case any more.

GOG appears to be much more transparent.
Since GOG is using Wine anyway, this sounds like something it could use.
Future_Suture: Since GOG is using Wine anyway, this sounds like something it could use.
Nah. They do their own thing and frankly, they don't need that service.

I would much rather see them reach out to the wine team with nice things like complimentary access to at least some of the games in the catalog. This might even have the added benefit of getting some fixes in wine. You never know when a developer may want to write a fix because his son/daughter wants to play a game ;)
Post edited August 04, 2014 by silviucc
Future_Suture: Since GOG is using Wine anyway, this sounds like something it could use.
silviucc: Nah. They do their own thing and frankly, they don't need that service.
Considering the arguments that were thrown around before GOG finally took on supporting Linux, I believe the company should use any help it can get, especially when it pertains to bringing titles to customers in an easier and quicker manner.
Future_Suture: Considering the arguments that were thrown around before GOG finally took on supporting Linux, I believe the company should use any help it can get, especially when it pertains to bringing titles to customers in an easier and quicker manner.
Look, wine wrapping is not exactly rocket science and they already have plenty of experience with it. It's quite fast to wrap games once you have a clean template created.

A service such as portmyapps is for people that don't want to futz around with wine or don't know about wine but want to get their stuff on to other platforms with minimal investment/cost. People that already have experience with it and with wrapping have probably automated most of the task already.

My opinion is that the slow trickle of linux games is both intended (easier to deal with support problems) and a consequence of QA. These guys have to deal with Windows/OS X and now Linux. Ofc, this is pure speculation as I have no idea how they're organized. Just an educated guess.
Future_Suture: Considering the arguments that were thrown around before GOG finally took on supporting Linux, I believe the company should use any help it can get, especially when it pertains to bringing titles to customers in an easier and quicker manner.
silviucc: Look, wine wrapping is not exactly rocket science and they already have plenty of experience with it. It's quite fast to wrap games once you have a clean template created.

A service such as portmyapps is for people that don't want to futz around with wine or don't know about wine but want to get their stuff on to other platforms with minimal investment/cost. People that already have experience with it and with wrapping have probably automated most of the task already.

My opinion is that the slow trickle of linux games is both intended (easier to deal with support problems) and a consequence of QA. These guys have to deal with Windows/OS X and now Linux. Ofc, this is pure speculation as I have no idea how they're organized. Just an educated guess.
I am looking so hard that I must look no more. It is simply something for GOG to consider, and after the absolutely atrocious job that CD Project RED did with The WItcher 2: Assassins of Kings (yes, it was outsourced, but still the responsibility of CD Projekt RED), wrapjobs can be considered rocket science it seems. Anyway, this is not an argument I wish to pursue further, just a heads up for GOG i.e. an option to keep in mind.
An option that will mostly work for older games., since they have a 50 MB limit.
Post edited August 05, 2014 by Kristian
Heya GOG,
first let me say thank you for providing linux support.
Its great that I can now play games with native linux version without wine.

So here's my question:
Whats the plan for all the games that have a native linux version (elsewhere) that wasnt released with the first 50?
When and how will you make those available?

I am talking about games like

The Cat Lady
FTL
Ring Runner Flight of the Sages
Sang-Froid Tales of Werewolves

and others with a native linux version.

any reply is appreciated
Post edited August 05, 2014 by Farmboy
Farmboy: Heya GOG,

So here's my question:
Whats the plan for all the games that have a native linux version (elsewhere) that wasnt released with the first 50?

The Cat Lady
FTL

any reply is appreciated
We're working on getting as many native Linux version as possible but it takes time :)
Farmboy: Heya GOG,

So here's my question:

The Cat Lady
FTL

any reply is appreciated
I'm pretty sure there's no Linux version of Sang Froid. I sure wish there was, it runs like crap using wine.
hummer010: I'm pretty sure there's no Linux version of Sang Froid. I sure wish there was, it runs like crap using wine.
You are right, I was sure I saw one somewhere.
JudasIscariot: We're working on getting as many native Linux version as possible but it takes time :)
Will you announce it when a linux version of a game becomes available or will we get the game update marker?
Post edited August 05, 2014 by Farmboy
hummer010: I'm pretty sure there's no Linux version of Sang Froid. I sure wish there was, it runs like crap using wine.
Farmboy: You are right, I was sure I saw one somewhere.
JudasIscariot: We're working on getting as many native Linux version as possible but it takes time :)
Farmboy: Will you announce it when a linux version of a game becomes available or will we get the game update marker?
We did announce it on our Facebook page (you can check on our announcements there without having to log in or have an account :) )

I also posted the latest Linux versions here:

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/the_what_did_just_update_thread/post3482

Only reason for that is because the amount of games made Linux compatible on GOG since the launch was small (5 games, not including today's release of the Linux version of Mark of the Ninja :) )
JudasIscariot: We did announce it on our Facebook page (you can check on our announcements there without having to log in or have an account :) )
Too bad you guys don't have a blog.
JudasIscariot: We did announce it on our Facebook page (you can check on our announcements there without having to log in or have an account :) )
I prefer not to tempt fate by relying too heavily on my forest of privacy protection extensions, so I never load Facebook URLs, account or not.

(In fact, I've used tools like NoScript's Application Boundaries Enforcer to blacklist requests to Facebook URLs no matter where on the web they show up)
Post edited August 05, 2014 by ssokolow
ssokolow: I prefer not to tempt fate by relying too heavily on my forest of privacy protection extensions, so I never load Facebook URLs, account or not.

(In fact, I've used tools like NoScript's Application Boundaries Enforcer to blacklist requests to Facebook URLs no matter where on the web they show up)
It's amazing how easy it is to google you just on your publicly available user name. Your site with your picture, your place of residence, etc. etc. is the first result in a google search of "ssokolow".

Just wanted to point that out.