It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

We're happy to announce that starting today, you can play the GOG versions of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and selected games from The Witcher universe via GeForce NOW, NVIDIA's cloud gaming service.

If you want to explore the universe of the legendary Witcher, become a professional monster slayer, or a war-veteran queen of two Northern Realms, you can do it now on almost any device -- including low-powered units, Mac laptops, Chromebooks, and more, thanks to GeForce NOW.

All GOG owners of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition, The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition, The Witcher Adventure Game, and Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales can stream these games across their devices via GeForce NOW with full language support.

Finally, you can also easily capture your best gameplay moments in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition, thanks to GeForce NOW’s sharing tools. Your best monster takedowns are captured automatically thanks to NVIDIA Highlights.
Lone_Scout: And...?

Cloud gaming is almost the opposite of DRM-Free...
Yes. Another hint what GOG really thinks of DRM-free. I mean, they dropped it anyhow by now. So why should they shun streaming services?

'DRM-free' was a niche that allowed them to grow. But they don't intend to stay in that niche. We will see how well they are able to compete against Steam, Epic etc. on their own turf. Without the DRM-free advantage.

Edit: but if this is, as Breja said, just an option to use your DRM-free game through a cloud service, then it's fine for those who want it, I guess. I won't use it though.
Post edited March 11, 2021 by Lifthrasil
Oh my God. And here we go again.

* Popcorn
Wonder how long before this topic gets locked.
I backlogged TW3 because I can't play it on 1440P + Maximum graphics settings... yet. Geforce Now is 1080P (monthly fee).

And even if it was 1440P... I can wait... to play it locally. I'd rather spend that 9,15€ per month on buying DRM free games.
I guess it's great for people who can't afford a decent PC for more recent games and/or GPU (ignoring the current situation).
high rated
I think this is unironically good news. It's about giving more options to people who lack the hardware to run the games.
I don't understand all the hate, it's a nice option for people with slow PCs. Don't like it? Don't use it.
high rated
Lone_Scout: And...?

Cloud gaming is almost the opposite of DRM-Free...
Breja: If I understand GeForce NOW correctly (as explained by a friend who uses it), then you first buy a game and then have an option to play it through GeForce NOW, but you still own a normal copy of the game, just as you bought it. So if you bought it on GOG, you have your DRM-free copy in your GOG library and an option to use GeForce NOW. If that's correct, then I think it's not a bad deal, and it's good to have more DRM-free games given that option, and not just Steam.
Well, then optional is the key word here. As long as it stays that way (and doesn't subtly change like, for example, having exclusive rewards for GeForce NOW users...) everything will be fine.
low rated
ConsulCaesar: I think this is unironically good news. It's about giving more options to people who lack the hardware to run the games.
This. For some, it can be the difference between being able to play a game, or not.

For professional applications, running software on a machine in the cloud is an increasing thrend. It makes sense that this arrives to games as well.

Old computers...
Light computers....
Computers without a good discrete GPU...
Old mac computers...
Mac and no mac version, and the emulator does not work for the game...
Ditto about Linux...
Android...

Does this run on...? Yes.

Now the icing on the cake would be if the saves while in Geforce Now would be Galaxy Cloud saves, so that you could, for example, play on GN while on a trip, for example, and then go on playing locally when back home (or when you get a new computer).
Post edited March 11, 2021 by Carradice
high rated
cyx370: I don't understand all the hate, it's a nice option for people with slow PCs. Don't like it? Don't use it.
You don't understand the hate? I recommend that you read up on the evolution of DRM in the 21st century.
I believe that a few streaming-only games already exist (on Stadia).
https://gamerant.com/stadia-exclusive-games-list/

I'm not saying that GOG will change this way - but I don't think that it's that far-fetched that every extra subscriber motivates the (big) publishers into believing that streaming-only is a viable business model.
Post edited March 11, 2021 by teceem
low rated
cyx370: I don't understand all the hate, it's a nice option for people with slow PCs. Don't like it? Don't use it.
There is a group here that fully believe that GOG is trying to implement DRM into there games regardless if it isn't.
Maxvorstadt: Can someone please tell me, why I need this?
Funny - that was exactly what I was asking myself the moment I spotted it. My exact words were "Und was soll ich damit?" :D But I am happy for those who waited for something like this.
Post edited March 11, 2021 by MarkoH01
low rated
Gylfe: Cloud gaming is the ultimate DRM, anti gamer crap
This ^

DRM-free means being able to install and play the game on your local machine, independent of any internet connection. GOG, please stop focusing so much energy on this nonsense: update all the offline installers; purge the DRMed games from your store and release Devotion immediately!
high rated
ConsulCaesar: I think this is unironically good news. It's about giving more options to people who lack the hardware to run the games.
Same.
Can't blame people being extra-sceptical of anything that's even remotely antithetical to DRM-free though, especially considering all the questionable and troubling developments going on with Galaxy and GoG's founding principles.
The boiling frog metaphor, and all that.
low rated
used this with cyberpukk, this is a nice feature even linux kids could play newer games

Gylfe: Cloud gaming is the ultimate DRM, anti gamer crap
Time4Tea: This ^

DRM-free means being able to install and play the game on your local machine, independent of any internet connection. GOG, please stop focusing so much energy on this nonsense: update all the offline installers; purge the DRMed games from your store and release Devotion immediately!
cloud gaming is the future
Post edited March 11, 2021 by Orkhepaj
low rated
Carradice: This. For some, it can be the difference between being able to play a game, or not.
What I am concerned about is not what it is now, but where the increasing focus on cloud gaming is likely to lead. I see a future where we will see big budget games being developed that will only work on high-spec cloud servers, which would be the very embodiment of DRM.

If games are ever developed that will not run on consumer PCs, they must never be sold on GOG (for them to retain any credibility).

Orkhepaj: cloud gaming is the future
It is a dark future, which I intend to resist.
Post edited March 11, 2021 by Time4Tea