It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

wolfsite: This is also why I hate having discussions on a forum or message board as what you type can be misinterpreted or not seen in the same light as you originally wanted it in. I'm pro GOG and Pro DRM free yet I feel like I was seen as PRo Steam and Pro DRM from the replies.
Timboli: Honestly you are better off ignoring the naysayers .... I suspect they are all Steam fan boys & girls anyway.

Anyone would think a store like GOG was normal the way some go on. They just don't know or have forgotten just how lucky they & we are to have a store anything remotely like GOG. They just nitpick and nitpick to ad nauseum.

It is unbelievable how angry and aggressive some get over GOG. GOG don't owe them anything. Instead of being grateful for what GOG has amazingly provided, some just always want more ... like spoilt brats.
Nice to see someone else rip into the ingrates.
I'm always happy when I get ANY game fro free!
So without trawling through all the replies - in summary anyone know what my *likely* to happen?.
Niggles: So without trawling through all the replies - in summary anyone know what my *likely* to happen?.
There appear to be two schools of thought: Either something really good or something really bad is about to happen... possibly both. We won't know until sometime on Monday.
Niggles: So without trawling through all the replies - in summary anyone know what my *likely* to happen?.
In summary:
We have no clue what's happening. We'll find out tomorrow.
TARFU: The only thing awry here would be any type of complaining about GOG rewarding customer loyalty with ANY free game. Even if the game is only 0.49 cents and GOG adds it to my account, I'll gladly accept it, download it, and play it.

I am not expecting anything free in this life and I am not entitled to anything at all, so even the smallest gift is a blessing. It truly is the thought that counts. If GOG gives us free games or does not give us free games from our wishlist, I am happy either way. Thanks for even existing, GOG.
I'm not sure why the post which I'm quoting here is "Highly Rated."

It doesn't at all address the substance of the point to which it was replying.

This is what the Tweet says:

The most wishlisted games will get super cheap!
The post quoted above speaks nothing about how they could possibly fulfill that promise.

If they promise it, then yes, their customers are indeed entitled to receiving what they were promised.

Some other posts have addressed the substance of my point by saying GOG worked this out beforehand with the publishers.

In that case, it begs the questions:

Are we to believe that Divinity: Original Sin 2, Battletech, Pillars of Eternity 2, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, and other games of those caliber are not among the most-wishlisted games? Because they probably are. And they definitely aren't going to be getting "super cheap" tomorrow. So then, how is GOG making a true statement when they say "The most wishlisted games will get super cheap!"...?
Post edited April 16, 2018 by Ancient-Red-Dragon
I for one would be happy if GOG would make the free Command&Conquer games available with GOG installers and proper patches. They are available on other reputable sites for free, and EA didn't have them taken down, so they could come to GOG as well. Anyway, something good must be coming - other than discounts. I'm curious what that will be. :)
rjbuffchix: I believe that gamers should demand stores like GOG *ARE* the normal.
I can agree with you on that, for sure. Not likely to happen though. Too many in this world are negative and always think the worst, hence we have DRM mostly. Not a lot of TRUST or SENSE or LOGIC going around.

rjbuffchix: You certainly shouldn't be getting this from my posts, friend...I am very consistent in my position. I also do often go out of my way to point out what a boon GOG is. I am so emphatic because I want it to stay this way!
I didn't target you specifically, and I am well aware of all those between both ends of the scale in this argument. So take on board what I said friend, and just pay attention to what is relevant to you, and ignore the rest. :)

rjbuffchix: With all due respect, I don't think you're understanding my point about embracing a niche market instead of trying to be an inferior copy of something that already has a monopoly.
This is where you and I differ.
I don't see GOG pretending to be anything other than a company who sells games to Gamers in the best way they can. If that is similar to Steam sometimes, well guess what? Steam are in the same business too.

The important difference for me between them, is that GOG is defiantly DRM-Free.

rjbuffchix: To take your hypothetical, what if I told you those "1,000 people" were unwilling to spend a cent on SCHEME, but would quite happily spend significant amounts of money on a DRM-free store like GOG? Wouldn't it make sense to try and cater to them, and also to expand that niche audience? Yes, potentially there is a much bigger audience that uses SCHEME, but it is unrealistic that SCHEME can be beaten at their own game.
We also differ here.
To survive, GOG need to stay viable.
They cannot do that with a niche bunch of gamers, who for the most part are not gonna fork out regularly enough or fork out much. Sure, initially there was a backlog where GOG would have made a good earning, but sales would naturally drop off after that, so they need to keep attracting more customers ... and even more importantly the Game Developers. Without significant customers, there will be very few Game Developers participating.

There is really only one Game in town ... selling games.

So even if GOG are a little bit similar to Steam at times, I see that as a good thing, because it weakens Steam's strange hold. And really, so long as GOG stay true to their DRM-Free mantra, and we their customers can always opt out of things we don't like, then why is it such a problem? I don't think there is one, honestly ... in that regard.

My real concern with GOG, is that they can continue to be feasible and get enough support, both from customers and Game Developers ... and even just stuff like accounting and website maintenance, Support, etc.

P.S. Since the first of May 2017, I have gotten over 470 games from GOG, and all the complaints i see here regularly, are at odds with my experience. I don't have Galaxy installed, and apart from the first few weeks, I have just religiously used the GOG Downloader, and so I get no downloads that include Galaxy. And I have noted in the last several weeks that I have not seen one instance where the Galaxy Download was the default, despite buying many games and downloading them all. So it appears to me that GOG have listened to the complaints, and reduced those games where Galaxy was the default ... not that I ever found that a problem myself when it is .. dead easy to notice and change.

P.S.S. Logic would infer, that if most of the customers at GOG are young, and happily use both Steam and GOG, that GOG should have defaults set to cater for them, while also giving us older non Steam lovers ways to opt out. If most here are happy with a console client like Galaxy, then I think it only sensible it should be the default, providing that it is not difficult to opt out of for the rest of us ... which it currently isn't hard to do. The more others that come here and spend their money, the more power GOG will have to do deals and offer us variety etc. I am yet to see the negatives.

P.S.S.S. To give full disclosure, I do also have a Steam account and do get Steam games regularly ... if only freebies from Humble or Steam. I've only paid them deliberately once, which was for the full Valve Collection, at a super cheap price. I can wait for other games to eventually come to GOG .... but I suspect none of that collection will.
Post edited April 16, 2018 by Timboli
Okay, it´s Monday in Europe. So let the warm shower of games come upon us now!
I don't have any inside information but this is the way I suspect that it works behind the scenes:

GOG negotiates with mulitple publishers to get discounts, promotion deals, and allow some giveaways.

1. Publisher A,B,C provide a list of games with different allowable discount ranges that GOG can manage.
2. Publisher A,D,E provide a list of games up to X number of copies or only during Y to Z date and time period that can be discounted heavily for a special promotion.
3. Publisher B,D,F provide a list of games up to N number of copies that can be given away in a promotion for only a small fee that GOG will cover.
4. Publisher F,G,H provide a list of games up to M number of copies that can be given away in a promtion at no cost to GOG.

GOG then sets a budget for the promotion deal to pay for part 3 above as well as the marketing for the promotion. They then scan the users on a certain date and time to detect which games are most desired. They then see which of those on the list of desired games that they have promotional deals for and select some game titles. They then purchase some copies of some of those that are both desired and have available promotional pricing at the promotional fee to distribute to users. They keep buying copies and giving them away until they hit their budget limit or target number of copies limit.

Then they go through their list of desired games again and if any of part 4 free to GOG promotional games are anywhere on the desired list they distribute a certain number of them to users that want them.

They also then scan through the desired games list and select some of the popular games to trigger promotional pricing in part 2 above that will likely be a partial sacrifice of unit proift by both publisher and GOG and make them available at the special price for a limited time.

Meanwhile they also select some normal discounts from part 1 that will be discounts with profits mostly sacrificed by the publisher as part of the normal distribution agreement to periodically offer some mild discounts. These then fill out the sale event so that those who do not get free copies can still get some attaction to the event and encourage purchases. This is probably where GOG makes most of their revenues from the event and helps cover the promotional costs.
Post edited April 16, 2018 by SoheiYamabushi
274 items on my Wishlist, and no change yet. Still the same 11 showing as currently discounted.

Oops, one change. Jalopy, which had stopped showing a discount days ago, has finally left the discounted list.
What if I only have one game in my wishlist? :P
SoheiYamabushi: I don't have any inside information but this is the way I suspect that it works behind the scenes:

GOG negotiates with mulitple publishers to get discounts, promotion deals, and allow some giveaways.
You could well be right, I suspect it is something along some of those lines at least.

They would have all the stats worked out a while ago, and while yes a bunch of us might go through since the tweet or email and add others, I suspect that things won't change greatly overall from a week or even month ago. And the reality, is we will never know.

What is important, is the promotion, and that we see some good discounts.

So long as they do that, they have seemingly fulfilled their obligation ... word wise.

1mikey1: What if I only have one game in my wishlist? :P
Better hope it is popular then ... enough to make the list. :)

And that you have logged on here regularly enough to be considered Active ... and perhaps even paid for a game or two recently.
Post edited April 16, 2018 by Timboli
SoheiYamabushi: I don't have any inside information but this is the way I suspect that it works behind the scenes:

Timboli: You could well be right, I suspect it is something along some of those lines at least.

They would have all the stats worked out a while ago, and while yes a bunch of us might go through since the tweet or email and add others, I suspect that things won't change greatly overall from a week or even month ago. And the reality, is we will never know.

What is important, is the promotion, and that we see some good discounts.

So long as they do that, they have seemingly fulfilled their obligation ... word wise.

1mikey1: What if I only have one game in my wishlist? :P
Timboli: Better hope it is popular then ... enough to make the list. :)
Kingdom Come Deliverance. What do you think? :D edit: Also, I was referring to one game from the wishlist being free, not on sale.
Post edited April 16, 2018 by 1mikey1
1mikey1: Kingdom Come Deliverance. What do you think? :D edit: Also, I was referring to one game from the wishlist being free, not on sale.
While it is always possible, that a few freebies might appear on the list, myself and others think GOG's words were a tad misleading, and that really it is just some games being super cheap.

I am happy to be proved wrong though.