It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Timboli: I'm not sure what you think I am incorrect about?
I was just saying we don't want even more, and risk having too much to wade through, especially if quality is lower.
I've certainly noticed the increase of Indies here at GOG, many of which I own at Itch.io.
I meant that I don't believe that GOG might turn into itch.io even if GOG continues to add more indies (which btw I hope they'll do) because in opposite of itch.io GOG still does not add EVERY indie game.

Timboli: I'm not sure whether you are just getting free games from Itch.io, or actually buying them, because many of the paid ones from my exposure to them also have a Steam presence and Key. Anyway, I am no expert on the matter, not having bought an awful lot from them outside of bundles. So maybe it's less common than I realize, but I have certainly seen mention of it often enough.
I bought bundles as well as regular games and in my case I never got a Steam key with them. However since PaterAlf confirmed that this does in fact happen I guess my argument was wrong here and it was coincidence that I never got a Steam key on itch.io.
Wait but they're for the same platform. Steam, Epic and GOG are all PC. Why the trouble? I don't own it here but it seems to be the same price as on other platforms. Scummy tactics.
slurredprey: Wait but they're for the same platform. Steam, Epic and GOG are all PC. Why the trouble? I don't own it here but it seems to be the same price as on other platforms. Scummy tactics.
That makes one miss the time when we would download patches manually either from the publisher or various gaming sites, eh? Back then it was not important where you bought it.

My best guess is that they are just up for a quick cash grab, but don't want to invest too much time into platforms that don't sell as much as others.
Post edited September 17, 2021 by neumi5694
mechmouse: Can people please understand, GoG has very little power here.

They can't demand, they can't hold back services or payment.

We're talking basic level economics here.

Valve is huge, they have a huge market share and can dictate almost what ever terms it wishes. Shaft 1000's of indie devs, does so with impunity, double crosses hardware partners, they just take it.

Epic's got the cash, got the industry tools, hell... got the lawyers, they can hold publishers feet to the irons.

GoG? Publishers would just cut their losses.

I would love things to be different, It would be great for PC gaming and beyond if CDPR had the vast influence needed to do all these things you think they should.

About 8% of PC gamers prefer GoG, that's almost enough, but only about 2% will sacrifice access to games and ONLY buy via GoG.
tfishell: Still, I imagine it's getting even worse for GOG as people are discovering threads like the "second class citizens" one and buy on Steam instead of here.

personally, I'm willing to buy older games here - even ones that have multiplayer, achievements, etc. cut from the GOG release - so I don't have to worry about missing patches, but I wouldn't buy new games here. (granted I only buy at nice discounts so I don't spend much money anyway)

As much as I prefer less curation to more, if curation ensures we get at least key patches and single-player DLC here from responsible devs, I'm in favor of that.
I hate to say it, but I really agree with all of your points here. We've both been around these parts for a very long time, and we don't deserve a cookie or anything, but yeah. I played through Bard's Tale 4 recently and purposely played the GOG version despite having a Windows Store copy, and asked myself why? The Windows Store copy runs better and (not a huge deal but still) has working achievements.

Unless it's a CDPR game I don't trust GOG to be able to enforce keeping modern games up to date, but it's still the best imho for older games working on modern systems.

It wasn't like this for me until probably a year or two ago, when I really started to see how many publishers of modern games just lag behind on pushing updates on GOG.

In response to market share estimates, I would put GOG at around 5% of the market share, and you all must understand that I truly love GOG for what it used to be and still could be.
From a business point of view Gog is at a disadvantage.

If they want developers and publishers to take advantage of their service they need to make it just as easy for developers like Steam/Epic does to update games and add achievements, or they'll continue to face situations like this.

A couple developers I've bought games from here (Barony being a good example) have stated that Gog makes it complicated to update here, etc.

It's a bad business decision on Gog's part not to invest in better and easier developer tools so developers can just do a couple clicks to update their stuff here, instead of having to deal with a completely different pipeline.
Flesh420.613: From a business point of view Gog is at a disadvantage.

If they want developers and publishers to take advantage of their service they need to make it just as easy for developers like Steam/Epic does to update games and add achievements, or they'll continue to face situations like this.

A couple developers I've bought games from here (Barony being a good example) have stated that Gog makes it complicated to update here, etc.

It's a bad business decision on Gog's part not to invest in better and easier developer tools so developers can just do a couple clicks to update their stuff here, instead of having to deal with a completely different pipeline.
Actually they DID make it a lot easier than it used to be, the Galaxy API should take care of updating Galaxy installations, it also creates offline patchers and offline installers for the uploaded version automatically.
I gave it a quick reading and it doesn't seem THAT complicated.
At some point in the past, yes, then they had to contact GOG to publish a patch, but they don't have to do that anymore.
neumi5694: At some point in the past, yes, then they had to contact GOG to publish a patch, but they don't have to do that anymore.
That ist not completely true. Sometimes - especially with never devs - GOG still does not give devs the opportunity to upload all by themselves without checking it first. This should however be the minority of cases.
They got track record with other games, I believe some of them were removed from the store. Just to be certain, I decided to not wishlist them anymore, not on steam either.
JakobFel: I love GOG (as everyone here who knows me also knows) but one of the biggest issues with them, at least in my opinion, is that they do this. They tolerate publishers and devs that treat us like crap. In my opinion, GOG needs to penalize any publishers and devs that do this.
mechmouse: Can people please understand, GoG has very little power here.
Whether GOG has power vs publishers or not is one thing. GOG however certainly has the power to treat customers - and its customers that they get their money from and not publishers - better. And in the context of this topic (of games on GOG being outdated vs games on Steam) they dont: Selling a game here that is known to be inferior to the Steam version without giving any indication of that is IMO incompatible with the "honest communication with gamers"(*) which they promote. A simple potential first step at improving this would be to make the already existing version history and game version numbers available on their stores game sale pages before purchase.

(*) See for example here: https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/wp-content/uploads-en/2021/07/en-cdpir-factsheet-07-2021-1.pdf
FWIW Yoku's Island Express is a really fun game, I'm glad they were able to work it out. Team 17 has a lot of products here and its nice to see them care about GOG enough to drop a patch to bring this to parity with steam.
Starkrun: FWIW Yoku's Island Express is a really fun game, I'm glad they were able to work it out. Team 17 has a lot of products here and its nice to see them care about GOG enough to drop a patch to bring this to parity with steam.
If they now start patching their other games as well without such massive delay and without people having to nag them about it, I might actually believe that they DO care.
Ancient-Red-Dragon: I find that extremely hard to believe and I'd bet it's false. The actual number of GOG market share is probably way lower than that.

Oh, and I dug up an article that corroborates my point:

So if Steam has 75% and if GOG has 15% (thus 90% would be taken up between just those two), then that would mean that Ubisoft, EA, EGS, Activision Blizzard, Microsoft, Rockstar, etc. would have, at most, 10% market share when all combined together, and it would also mean that EGS has way less market share than GOG does. No way that's true.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/04/humble-bundle-creator-brings-antitrust-lawsuit-against-valve-over-steam/
mrkgnao: This $30 billion market is a useful number.

We know from CDP's financial reports (https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/investors/financial-summary-report/) that they sold in 2020 games to the value 2,138,875 KPLN (about US$556 million), which would make their market share about 2%. Now this is CDP, not GOG (which is a small part of CDP). And this is for the year that CP2077 came out in.

In 2019, CDP's sales were 521,272 KPLN (about US$136 million), which would make CDP's market share less than half a percent and GOG's even smaller than that.

Can someone find an error in my calculations (note: I used 1 KPLN = 1000 PLN = US$260)?

P.S. Perhaps the $30 billion number is exaggerated?
GOG results can be found here on page 31: https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/wp-content/uploads-en/2021/04/consolidated-financial-statement-of-the-cd-projekt-group-for-2020.pdf

GOG 2020 sales: 343 748 KPLN (>40% of that due to CP2077)
GOG 2019 sales: 162 256 KPLN

So GOG market share (of PC game market) was (less than (*)) ~0.14% in 2019 and ~0.3% in 2020?

Note that GOG sales are financially less useful for CDP than CDPR sales as they only get <30% share and GOG has high costs too - unless they sell their own games.

(*) Quick Google search implies the current real number is rather bigger than $30 billion.
Post edited September 18, 2021 by Zrevnur
MarkoH01: I meant that I don't believe that GOG might turn into itch.io even if GOG continues to add more indies (which btw I hope they'll do) because in opposite of itch.io GOG still does not add EVERY indie game.
Okay, thanks for the clarification.

I don't think GOG would turn into Itch.io, because for starters they have a better display structure (in my view). However, a lot more Indie games ... and lets be honest, there are apparently only a handful of people deciding on them, so we are reliant on what they deem is decent enough to be here, and if too many come here, it could get quite messy ... at the very least, a lot to wade through.

Currently, even though I like many Indie games, I am glad GOG show restraint.
And I am quite happy to go to Itch.io for my Indie needs ... and many of the games if good enough turn up at other stores DRM-Free.

Hell, I am still wading through those two large bundles from Itch.io.
low rated
Zrevnur: snip
I also came to the same conclusion. GOG has 0.3% market share in 2020. Doubled because of CP2077. In 2021, revenue has increased, but the incremental costs have overtaken those revenues. They're operating at law of diminishing returns here. This is also bad news for DRM-free sites like Zoom Platform because GOG is the leading case example of profitability ceiling with its current business strategy and level of service.

People are getting this 8% or 15% GOG market share from case examples of one or two games with 8-15% are GOG users. Those are optimistic outliers. There are hundreds of games that barely get any business. This explains why gamedevs will drop GOG from updates and eventual delistings because they're not getting enough income to deem it worth it.

If people want more update and feature parity, we should be actively evangelizing and recruiting more people to use GOG to becoming significant so that gamedevs can't refuse updates to GOG without garnering negative attention from media outlets. Negative reinforcement from GOG will only go so far. However, people are individually selfish and will just buy Steam versions because they care more about getting the latest games / features / updates instead of committing to DRM-free.
mqstout: We've been over this. Games that don't have client-based epeen measurement sharing schemes are *superior* versions. You're nearly alone in your perverse crusade to erase games that don't have them.
Also LOL!
Post edited September 19, 2021 by BroscienceEngineer
BroscienceEngineer: If people want more update and feature parity, we should be actively evangelizing and recruiting more people to use GOG to becoming significant....
I guess that should not be a problem.

"Hey, you. Do you know this great store that sells games DRM-free so you won't need a client to play them? It has this small disafvantage that some of their games are outdated or even abandoned and you have a certain chance that this will happen with future games as well ... so there's a certain risk involved - but no risk no fun, don't you think?"

How do you like my pitch? ;)