I'm on MacOs 10.11.6 and all the Pillars of Eternity Games are pkg-Files. After an successful install there is nothing on hard disk. So this is the problem i first encountered on the Thimbleweed Park Game on game release. Why are the pkg's not working?? ... only your pkg's!!!!
I can't say why the PKGs files aren't working and installing the games, because they are NOT being installed, but there is, as mentioned above in this thread, a (tedious but functional) workaround to this annoying problem. This is the process:
1. Open Terminal and write:
xar -xf <package_path>
tar -xvf Scripts
is the location in your computer where you currently have the .pkg file of the game that is misbehaving.
I recommend placing it on the Desktop for easy access.
NOTE: You can drag the game .pkg file from where you have it to the Terminal window where you are doing this and it writes the path for you.
2. Press Enter and let Terminal do its thing ( it could take a while to even start doing anything, so be patient ).
3. Look for a newly created .pkg file inside your User
account. It will be called "package.pkg"
4. Right-click the package.pkg file and select Show Package Contents
5. Search around for a folder named "payload"
6. Copy or move that folder to any location you like in your computer ( Applications or elsewhere ).
7. Rename the folder to whatever you like with the extension .app ( E.G. Shogun.app
8. That's the game, so double-click that file to start.
9. OPTIONAL EXTRA STEP: So you don't have to do this everytime
you install the same game, I recommend that you use some application (like Keka
, for example) to make a .dmg file with the application you just extracted. That way you can just store your game as a .dmg for the next time.
I hope this helps.