It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

DoomSooth: How would they make it work on the large number of distributions?
POSIX
neumi5694: Since the games can be played without the client, you can still do so.
Download, play. Never visit again. But for some reason you are here.
Having games purchased is like having money in a bank. Yes you can walk away from it, but it's easier when there's nothing to hold you back.
neumi5694: Since the games can be played without the client, you can still do so.
Download, play. Never visit again. But for some reason you are here.
rtcvb32: Having games purchased is like having money in a bank. Yes you can walk away from it, but it's easier when there's nothing to hold you back.
Not really. You don't need to walk away from your games, you can still play them. That's what "DRM free" means.

If it was Steam or Origin or Uplay or Rockstar ... sure then you either would have to crack them or keep the client installed. But you don't have to do that when it comes to GOG.
neumi5694: Not really. You don't need to walk away from your games, you can still play them. That's what "DRM free" means.
It's not about DRM or install-ability or backups.

Think of it like a flower garden. You invest time, energy and money into making an area where you can grow flowers. Then you're told you can 'just move'. The plot of land you worked to improve you can't take with you; But you can always keep the dried flowers...
rtcvb32: Think of it like a flower garden. You invest time, energy and money into making an area where you can grow flowers. Then you're told you can 'just move'. The plot of land you worked to improve you can't take with you; But you can always keep the dried flowers...
The difference being that you can take the flowers with you in pots and still take care of them, just not the garden.
neumi5694: Not really. You don't need to walk away from your games, you can still play them. That's what "DRM free" means.
rtcvb32: It's not about DRM or install-ability or backups.

Think of it like a flower garden. You invest time, energy and money into making an area where you can grow flowers. Then you're told you can 'just move'. The plot of land you worked to improve you can't take with you; But you can always keep the dried flowers...
This is the most bizarre thing I have ever seen on GOG.

Please don't tell me that when you went to Electronics Boutique in the 90's that you insisted on flowers because it was a boutique?

Think of GOG like a storefront for buying licenses to install and play a game. Because that's what it is.
Post edited March 23, 2023 by lupineshadow
Slick_JMista: i've always wondered if GoG could release a lightweight version of the galaxy client that only served as a cloud save manaager for their games.
They won't because forking a new version would only result in a group of people complaining it doesn't have a feature they want or alternatively contains a feature they don't want. For instance I'd like a lightweight galaxy fork which only serves as an offline installer downloader ... so ultimately a return of the GOG downloader. :P
Slick_JMista: i've always wondered if GoG could release a lightweight version of the galaxy client that only served as a cloud save manaager for their games.
Braggadar: They won't because forking a new version would only result in a group of people complaining it doesn't have a feature they want or alternatively contains a feature they don't want. For instance I'd like a lightweight galaxy fork which only serves as an offline installer downloader ... so ultimately a return of the GOG downloader. :P
Yeah. gogdownloaders was a good program that they needlessly abandoned.
I'd just like GOG to explain to Activision, Blizzard, and EA that regional pricing works. I've had a ton of their catalog on my wishlist for years. My collection of games by other companies that have regional pricing is huge.

But these three companies just won't budge. And I've been asking this for several years. And nothing. :(
Foxhack: I'd just like GOG to explain to Activision, Blizzard, and EA that regional pricing works.
If you go to IsThereAnyDeal I'm sure you'll find these publishers have regional pricing on other storefronts, but on GOG.
Ice_Mage: If you go to IsThereAnyDeal I'm sure you'll find these publishers have regional pricing on other storefronts, but on GOG.
We're allowed to link that but not competitors? Weird.
Foxhack: I'd just like GOG to explain to Activision, Blizzard, and EA that regional pricing works.
Ice_Mage: If you go to IsThereAnyDeal I'm sure you'll find these publishers have regional pricing on other storefronts, but on GOG.
They have regional pricing on Steam, but some of the games are MORE EXPENSIVE for me there. I have to get gifts from folks in the US to get a good price.
DoomSooth: We're allowed to link that but not competitors? Weird.
Did you check the forum regulations? You should.

WE DON’T TOLERATE:
* Selling (including real-life or in-game trading), advertising, referrals, links to other stores, auctioning - unless this applies to giveaways.
IsThereAnyDeal is not a store.

But please check the forum regulations. You should.
lupineshadow: IsThereAnyDeal is not a store.
It's not a store but it links to many of them and shows which one currently has the best price. I'd say it counts as advertising. I'm sure you'll agree that it counts, if a certain store is ever added to it.
Post edited March 25, 2023 by DoomSooth
lupineshadow: IsThereAnyDeal is not a store.
DoomSooth: It's not a store but it links to many of them and shows which one currently has the best price. I'd say it counts as advertising. I'm sure you'll agree that it counts, if a certain store is ever added to it.
I would disagree with that. That is data and only data on the level of a web crawler.