It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
Hi,

welcome to the official GOG Galaxy forum thread. Please read the below info first:

== GOG GALAXY FEATURES IN GAMES ==

List of games supporting various GOG Galaxy features:
Achievements: https://www.gog.com/games?feature=achievements&sort=bestselling&page=1
Cloud Saves: https://www.gog.com/games?feature=cloud_saves&sort=bestselling&page=1
Overlay: https://www.gog.com/games?feature=overlay&sort=bestselling&page=1

== BUG REPORTING ==

Please use: http://mantis.gog.com and include
1. steps to reproduce the bug (if possible)
2. screenshot or movie showing the bug (if possible)
3. Galaxy Client logs (location described on mantis report page)

== FEATURE SUGGESTIONS ==

Please use: http://www.gog.com/wishlist/galaxy. For feature suggestions and votes on them please try do explain how Galaxy and its users will really benefit from it.

== IMPORT ALREADY INSTALLED GAMES TO GALAXY ==

1. For GOG games installed using installers from the last few months (so called Galaxy-compatible installers)
Click the Galaxy logo button on top of the sidebar and select "scan and import folders" - it will find all compatible games within that folder and add them to the Client.

2. For remaining GOG game INSTALLATIONS
Find the game in the Library (click on the image of the game), then click the More button and select "Manage Installation" -> "Import folder" and point the folder selector into the folder where that game is installed.

== KNOWN ISSUES ==
- Galaxy cannot be launched by other users on the same computer

== CHANGELOG ==

1.2.49 (November 29, 2018)
- [Windows] Updater now requires administrator privileges to perform update of GOG Galaxy
- [Windows] Security of directories containing GOG Galaxy files has been improved
- [Windows] Updated Code Signing Certificate
- [Windows] Crash reporter has been added to Galaxy Communication Service
Bugfixes:
- Prevented several potential causes of "broken" games, where only way out was reinstalling
- [MacOS] Fixed a crash on shutdown when fatal error was shown

1.2.50 (December 13, 2018)
Changes & Improvements:
- Speed up startup time
- [MacOS] Strengthen up connection security with ClientService
Bugfixes:
- Fixed "disk access problem" when installing games, occuring mostly on fresh installation of GOG Galaxy
- Fixed a rare occurrence of a game update resulting in displaying "unknown game version"

1.2.51 (December 20, 2018)
- Improved Korean translations
- Fixed connection to notifications pusher in GOG Galaxy SDK

1.2.54 (March 14, 2019)
Changes and Improvements:
- Updated Chromium version to 71:
- Better performance
- Fixes playing Twitch videos on profiles
- Fixes playing Wistia videos
- Security fixes in the game installation process
- Security fixes in GOG Galaxy update process
- GOG Galaxy Updater should perform better under poor network conditions
Bugfixes:
- [macOS] Fixed passing multiple commandline arguments to games
- [macOS] Multiple "friend online" notifications will no longer appear when system wakes up
- Dates are now properly displayed in cloud saves conflict window

1.2.55 (April 17, 2019)
- Hotfix for unintentional opening of Facebook link after entering Forum

1.2.56 (May 06, 2019)
Bugfixes:
- [Windows] GOG Galaxy will fix the path to its internal services, if it finds it is wrong
- Updating of games' local dependencies (e.g. Dosbox) will be handled correctly
- Unexpected files in games' directories will no longer cause failure of games’ update

1.2.57 (June 12, 2019)
Changes and Improvements:
- Minor download speed optimizations
- Changes in PayPal payment flow
Bugfixes:
- Fixed rare crash occurence when reordering games' updates and installations
- GOG Galaxy will correctly reconnect to GOG services after long time of no internet connection

1.2.58 (September 13, 2019)
macOS:
- Enabled hardened runtime, making our application more secure
- Implemented Apple's notarization

1.2.59 (September 23, 2019)
Overlay:
- [Windows] Fixed crash in Overlay affecting some games (including Fallout 3 (Radeon only) and Dragon Age: Origins)
Achievements:
- [Windows] Fixed issue with achievements sometimes not being saved while playing offline

1.2.60 Beta (07 October, 2019)
General:
- Updated CEF version to 3729 (Chromium to 74)
- Security fixes
Updater:
- Will no longer download updates at startup, they will be downloaded in the background, while the application is running
- [Windows] No additional UAC prompt during update

1.2.61 Beta (October 23, 2019)
Updater:
- Fixed an issue where non-admin users would not be able to update to newer versions of GOG Galaxy

1.2.62 Beta (October 30, 2019)
Overlay:
- Fixed crashes for various games

1.2.63 (December 02, 2019)
General:
- Updated CEF version to 3729 (Chromium to 74)
- Security fixes
Updater:
- Will no longer download updates at startup, they will be downloaded in the background, while the application is running
- [Windows] No additional UAC prompt during update
Overlay [Windows]:
- Now supports games which use Vulkan API (e.g. Jupiter Hell, X4: Foundations)
- Fixes crashes for various games

1.2.64 (December 04, 2019)
- Hotfix for launching games

1.2.66 (January 23, 2020)
- Added information about GOG Galaxy 2.0 Open Beta
- Optimization related to showing download progress
- Fixed an issue where Overlay did not launch for some games that use Vulkan
- [Windows] Updated code signing certificate
- [MacOS] Crash fixes

1.2.67 (February 24, 2020)
General:
- [Windows] GOG Galaxy will now show a warning when trying to run on non-NTFS file systems
- Improved security of the application
- Updated POCO library
GOG GALAXY Update:
- Fixes for bugs in the GOG Galaxy update process
Post edited February 24, 2020 by TheTomasz
Wolfy777: It's not a "mode", but you can still lauch games through Galaxy even if you're offline.
powergod: Galaxy Client ONLINE (for updates and forum things) -> Game OFFLINE (as you didn't installed it with galaxy, no cloud no achievements, nothing)
Open Galaxy Settings, go to the Features tab, disable all game data features and in-game features.
Wolfy777: It's not a "mode", but you can still lauch games through Galaxy even if you're offline.
powergod: Actually it is... I don't need to disable my internet connection, I can just disable the Galaxy service to obtain this, but still I can't get what I want...

Galaxy Client ONLINE (for updates and forum things) -> Game OFFLINE (as you didn't installed it with galaxy, no cloud no achievements, nothing)

By disabling the service I can launch the game offline, but then I can't check for updates with Galaxy, I just need a switch that tells to a game to not use the service... that's all

I don't mind about all those other online functionalities, and luckily there's already a way to disable them in the options.
In that case combining Galaxy for notifcations and other non game functions with offline installers might be your best bet for now (or disabling all of Galaxy's features like you said, personally I'd leave auto updates on to eliminate having to manually update games).

If you're really set on it, maybe you can make an entry in the wishlist under Galaxy so GOG can see exactly what aspect of the client you want improved.
Post edited September 23, 2018 by Wolfy777
Hi everyone

I have Starbound installed on my PC and laptop can my son and I play online together using both devices respectively. I have seen the create server page but do not understand the process. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Sid
powergod: Galaxy Client ONLINE (for updates and forum things) -> Game OFFLINE (as you didn't installed it with galaxy, no cloud no achievements, nothing)
Olauron: Open Galaxy Settings, go to the Features tab, disable all game data features and in-game features.
Seems to me that most people here are not aware of how the client works... so I'll make a summary:

- If Galaxy is installed, OFFLINE INSTALLERS will add anyway the game to its list
- If the Galaxy service is present, even an OFFLINE installed game will start ONLINE, and this also if the game isn't in the Galaxy list (games that were already installed before installing Galaxy)
- There is absolutely no option in Galaxy settings to make a game works as before the client was installed... one can disable overlay, cloud and everything from the options, but the game will still use internet connection for multiplayer or other things...

So, the only way is to DISABLE the Galaxy service, but this way even Galaxy itself is not able to update games and browse your library...

I just told that an option to make a game (or all games) ignore the service could be useful.

There is already a wishlist entry for this thing, but seems that people just don't care... so I can't have great expectations...
https://www.gog.com/wishlist/galaxy/remove_online_connectivity_from_galaxydll
Olauron: Open Galaxy Settings, go to the Features tab, disable all game data features and in-game features.
powergod: - If the Galaxy service is present, even an OFFLINE installed game will start ONLINE, and this also if the game isn't in the Galaxy list (games that were already installed before installing Galaxy)
And what exactly do you mean by ONLINE in big caps? I have played some games (namely PoE2, Spellforce 3, XCOM) with and without Galaxy and they worked the same regardless. The only difference appeared when I enabled achievements exclusively for PoE2.
powergod: - If the Galaxy service is present, even an OFFLINE installed game will start ONLINE, and this also if the game isn't in the Galaxy list (games that were already installed before installing Galaxy)
Olauron: And what exactly do you mean by ONLINE in big caps? I have played some games (namely PoE2, Spellforce 3, XCOM) with and without Galaxy and they worked the same regardless. The only difference appeared when I enabled achievements exclusively for PoE2.
I use caps because I can't use "bold" in this forum...

Example, "Dying Light" connects automatically to techlan servers at the starts (it's a game "feature", you can't disable this), if I use it without the Galaxy service active, it can't connect to techlan servers, it reports "techlan servers offline" and that I can't play multiplayer, etc...

If instead I use it with the Galaxy service active, the first thing I see in the main menu is (I don't remember exactly) "Connected to techlan server... go to Facebook... go to twitter... etc..." and I can use multiplayer functionalities.

There is no way to disable this from Galaxy.

I hope this is more clear.
powergod: Example, "Dying Light" connects automatically to techlan servers at the starts (it's a game "feature", you can't disable this), if I use it without the Galaxy service active, it can't connect to techlan servers, it reports "techlan servers offline" and that I can't play multiplayer, etc...

If instead I use it with the Galaxy service active, the first thing I see in the main menu is (I don't remember exactly) "Connected to techlan server... go to Facebook... go to twitter... etc..." and I can use multiplayer functionalities.

I think if you run the game from a .exe directly (you can make your own shortcut), it won't get Galaxy's multiplayer support, even if Galaxy is running.
powergod: Example, "Dying Light" connects automatically to techlan servers at the starts (it's a game "feature", you can't disable this), if I use it without the Galaxy service active, it can't connect to techlan servers, it reports "techlan servers offline" and that I can't play multiplayer, etc...

Johny.: I think if you run the game from a .exe directly (you can make your own shortcut), it won't get Galaxy's multiplayer support, even if Galaxy is running.
Just tried with "Dying Light", I closed Galaxy client and launched the game from the executable in it's folder, and it started online. (It didn't open the Galaxy client anyway)

If instead I disable this two services the game starts offline:
GalaxyClientService
GalaxyCommunication

And by the way, if the first service is disabled, when you open Galaxy, it will restart it.

EDIT:
also, Dying Light was installed before I even had installed Galaxy, and the game started going online even if it wasn't added to Galaxy client list
Post edited September 24, 2018 by powergod
powergod: Just tried with "Dying Light", I closed Galaxy client and launched the game from the executable in it's folder, and it started online. (It didn't open the Galaxy client anyway)

GalaxyClientService
GalaxyCommunication

And by the way, if the first service is disabled, when you open Galaxy, it will restart it.
Wonder why the services are running for you,when I close Galaxy here, the services are closed automatically for me. Youdidnt just press the X but did press the GOG symbol and choose Exit?
powergod: Just tried with "Dying Light", I closed Galaxy client and launched the game from the executable in it's folder, and it started online. (It didn't open the Galaxy client anyway)

GalaxyClientService
GalaxyCommunication

hohiro: Wonder why the services are running for you,when I close Galaxy here, the services are closed automatically for me. Youdidnt just press the X but did press the GOG symbol and choose Exit?
I told "disabled", not stopped, there's a difference.

When you close Galaxy, the service "stops", but when you run a game, that game "starts" the service, even if Galaxy client is closed.

Instead, if you "disable" the service, the game is not able to start it... and stays offline.

I see.
I guess it differs from game to game. I've seen games that connected to the internet just because they could even without Galaxy ever installed.
Please GWENT to Android <3
powergod: I use caps because I can't use "bold" in this forum...
Why not?

powergod: I told "disabled", not stopped, there's a difference.

When you close Galaxy, the service "stops", but when you run a game, that game "starts" the service, even if Galaxy client is closed.

Instead, if you "disable" the service, the game is not able to start it... and stays offline.
I think the GOG version of Dying Light uses the Galaxy service for communication (MP and Techland promo/news), just like many Steam games use Steamworks stuff. So it's only natural that it will start the service on launch. GOG is trying to establish an alternative to Steam, so that Steamless versions are possible without every dev implementing their own solution.
Of course the downside is that it's just another proprietary solution unless GOG decides to open-source the relevant stuff (which could mean a huge push for DRM-free).
powergod: I use caps because I can't use "bold" in this forum...
toxicTom: Why not?

powergod: I told "disabled", not stopped, there's a difference.

toxicTom: I think the GOG version of Dying Light uses the Galaxy service for communication (MP and Techland promo/news), just like many Steam games use Steamworks stuff. So it's only natural that it will start the service on launch. GOG is trying to establish an alternative to Steam, so that Steamless versions are possible without every dev implementing their own solution.
Of course the downside is that it's just another proprietary solution unless GOG decides to open-source the relevant stuff (which could mean a huge push for DRM-free).
oh ! The last time I tried to use bbcodes here weren't working.

Even a simple solution could be implemented, for example, the DLL could check for the absence of a local file (let's call it robots.txt) before trying to start the service... a flag like this could be anywere (registry, Galaxy settings json, etc...)

Or even better that flag could be checked even before loading that DLL !! This could also preserve compatibility to older Windows versions...

(But I don't know if that DLL is made by GOG or by game developers... in the latter case could be specified in the requirements that the flag must be checked...)
Post edited September 25, 2018 by powergod
Hay, just a this I noticed and it's kind of annoying.
When the gog window is around or at it's smallest collapsible state, the tags in my Library are not visable.
I couldn't find a customer support thing, so hopefuly a gog staff person will see this and fix it sometime soon, hopefully.