It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Felipe_Ramirez23: OMG youre amaazing thank you
NiteHackr: The better thing to paste would be "%programdata%\GOG.com\Galaxy\lock-files\" as the location of the ProgramData folder can vary, depending on your installation.

You can press WinKey+R for a Run box to paste it in.
All good and dandy but why is this still happening?
It just happened to me, again (it's the 2nd time in a year or so) does it have anything to do with Windows Updates?
NiteHackr: The better thing to paste would be "%programdata%\GOG.com\Galaxy\lock-files\" as the location of the ProgramData folder can vary, depending on your installation.

You can press WinKey+R for a Run box to paste it in.
demonbox77: All good and dandy but why is this still happening?
It just happened to me, again (it's the 2nd time in a year or so) does it have anything to do with Windows Updates?
My guess would be something is killing one or more core Galaxy processes and Galaxy doesn't have "if I die...cleanup" code. Or that code needs to be modified. Or a service needs to be added to check for a running Galaxy process and clean up if it doesn't find one.
Thanks Google and JTQuincy for a solution. Shame on gog client programmers for bringing me here.
Post edited September 14, 2021 by oldhasu
high rated
Hi all,

I'm really sorry that you've encountered this untrue message produced by GOG GALAXY client...
Soon the fix for this will be released and it shouldn't happen for you anymore.

If you want, you can grab the fix right now:

https://content-system.gog.com/open_link/download?path=/open/galaxy/client/2.0.42.21/setup_galaxy_BETA_2.0.42.21.exe

The above link contains an updater/installer for GOG GALAXY that will:
- Fix a bug where GOG GALAXY failed to launch, claiming it was already running on another account
- Fix a bug where GOG GALAXY failed to launch or update on Windows 8.1 and Windows 7
- Opt you into GOG GALAXY "public beta" updates

What that means is that you’ll be getting updates with the newest features and patches that we’ll be releasing to the users. You have the possibility to opt out by disabling this setting yourself in the app settings (“public beta” checkbox), however we recommend that you refrain from doing so until the next GOG GALAXY update, that will contain the fixes included in this patch.

Please respond and let us know whether Your problem has been resolved with this version! :) You feedback is much needed and appreciated.
Had the issue a few minutes ago, installed GOG Galaxy client beta 2.0.42.21 and managed to launch the client without rebooting.

I have Windows 10 Pro (10.0.19042).
My workaround is to create a shortcut to your games and avoid GOG Galaxy all together until they fix this.
posts from 3 days ago and i still isnt fixed???????? i still get the same message when trying to start GOG app.
how am i even supposed to download the patch fix for it if i cant open
ProskillXD: posts from 3 days ago and i still isnt fixed???????? i still get the same message when trying to start GOG app.
how am i even supposed to download the patch fix for it if i cant open
Had the same issue. Download the patch fix and simply double click and installed.

Works right away.
"GoG Galaxy cannot launch because it is already running on another account on this computer"

received this message this morning at 8:27 MET German Time.

But it is still true in a way on my rig, because i do use two Win10 Operating Systems on one PC.
But nevertheless, switching back to the the other OS and killing the GalaxyClient.exe full processpath via Taskmanager there, then switching back to other OS the SAME ERROR Message is coming up.

Hows that even possible?
Where are the hidden Files in the Processes connected to GOG, which arent leaving Memory or stay online so Win 11+GoG is even registering this File and gives the Error code?

Why not beeing transparent about this horrendous timewaster of my life.

I GOT GAMES TO PLAY ;)

Btw, the Error came up first time today AFTER i updated Win11 to
September 2021 – KB5005565
for following builds:
19041.1237, 19042.1237 und 19043.1237

h tt p s: //support.microsoft.com/de-de/topic/14-september-2021-kb5005565-betriebssystembuilds-19041-1237-19042-1237-und -19043-1237-292cf8ed-f97b-4cd8-9883-32b71e3e6b44

PPS:
hmm, am i really registered since 2014 and this is my very first post?
Something is getting very old here, lol

PPPS:
Mentioned BETA Patch fixed it.
When will be the official Patch served?
Post edited September 18, 2021 by TheHero_GOG
The beta client fixed the issue for me.
JTQuincy: Go to C:\ProgramData\GOG.com\Galaxy\lock-files and delete the GalaxyClient.exe.lock file and try launching Galaxy again
thank you, sir!
Deleting the lock files didn't solve the problem for me, but installing the GOG Galaxy Beta from the link above did.

Thanks very much
JTQuincy: Go to C:\ProgramData\GOG.com\Galaxy\lock-files and delete the GalaxyClient.exe.lock file and try launching Galaxy again
+1 to this solution, thanks!

OP, please mark posts 22 and 110 as the solution if you're still reading this. :)
Thank you again, worked for me
I just had this issue as well.

Killing the running GOG process from task manager, deleting the galaxy keys, ( HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run) uninstalling and reinstalling Galaxy helped me.