It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
goral: Calling Beamdog company a parasite is not a slander, it's just a pure fact.
Don't forget, lots of people are allergic to facts and abide by make-believe scenarios exclusively... Same people are also VERY intolerant, of those expressing facts and by shaming this, or "hate-speech" that, they demand, pursue and ultimately achieve, absolute CENSOR. This does them more harm than good on the long run, though, because other people watch, see and judge for themselves. Thankfully, they haven't realized that much, yet and keep sabotaging themselves, by enforcing their agendas and policies... Instead of making them optional. Be it a Beamdog's game and its model, or their writing, content and targeted audience, even worse, with the rest of their absurdities (the last is obviously the real problem and the cause of all this damage, especially to those games).
Post edited January 20, 2018 by KiNgBrAdLeY7
Vainamoinen: Oh sure, it's solidifying as we speak. Without evidence, you make the blanket statement that the developers censored "valid criticism" from their own forums — in a thread that keeps calling the undeniably insulting and wildly hyperbolic slander posted by a community member (slander that was created in a channel not meant for such contributions, wasn't according to forum guidelines and in my opinion crossed the verge of the litigable) "valid criticism" just as well.
Look... this is a fair point. I never thought to 'document' or take screen caps of the things that took place. I'm not very forum savvy and it was pretty shocking at the time.

You can believe me or not but I have no interest or motivation to lie about it.

Vainamoinen: Maybe not the best place to raise such an argument, right?
What better place? This thread is about the removal of a GOGmix and the very reasons people don't like the company. I have a long list of reasons.

Vainamoinen: And, no I really don't care what parts of that criticism were possibly valid to begin with
That's obvious.

Vainamoinen: (and/or were later added after the "oh no SJWs in OUR industry" review bombing). Because it's not my hobby to take a giant sieve to runny crap just to filter valid criticism from the rubble of alt-right dystopian fantasies. Because it's not my hobby to scrape valid criticism somewhere off the rusty spearhead that gamergate remnants are ramming into the industry's most vulnerable parts. In this here thread, the well of that criticism is wholly poisoned. The "Beamdog is the parasite" gog mix showed exactly that toxicity in the brightest possible colors, it pitched an invalid form of criticism.

It was rejected as such.
Let's be very clear here. I knew VERY little of what GamerGate was prior to the SoD controversy.

I'm not here to talk about this event POLITICALLY, while it is obvious that it is a prime motivating factor for you. I'm angry at BeamDog FIRST AND FOREMOST as a fan (former one) of early Bioware RPGs. I feel they kind of lost their way after KotOR but that is another story. Any dislike of THAT character or the writer who forced them in is a distant.... DISTANT second (more like 5th or 6th) to all the other issues.

These games were... very important to me. Behavior of key BeamDog personnel and their lack of quality over the years has been the equivalent of finding out the main actor in a movie or TV show is a filthy pedophile. No longer able to rewatch the show as it just isn't the same. So... while I may get animated over this I have good reason and it isn't politically motivated (thanks for bringing that shit up btw).

My avatar? I use it to make political hacks like you hot and bothered.
Post edited January 21, 2018 by GreasyDogMeat
richlind33: You going to cry about it for the rest of the year? o.O
RavenTheDragon: I hope so this is fairly intresting. Well in a dumpster fire way.
I'm back, with marshmallows and weenies. ;p
I'm going to give this one serious reply. Take it as you will because I'm not going to play along with this endless repetition.

The underlying idea of "Beamdog is parasitic because they appropriated and then sold a game for profit" (that's a statement, not a fact, dearies) is so laughable because you're arguing for it on the go-to store for companies to go and squeeze the last drops from IPs they pilfered from dead studios, without even putting in effort, good or bad, towards justifying the price they set and only being able to do so because of the conservationist efforts made by hobbyists (DOSBox, ScumVM, etc.). That no-one here is crusading against this but instead obsessed with singling out Beamdog, shows that you don't actually care about this and are just looking to justify wallowing in hating them.
Post edited January 21, 2018 by getrdy
getrdy: (...) The underlying idea of "Beamdog is parasitic because they appropriated and then sold a game for profit" (...)
Nice strawman here. Beamdog isn't parasitic because they "appropriated and then sold a game for profit", they're parasitic because that's the only thing they do AND because they're removing original developers AND original vanilla games. Show me another company like it and then we can talk. Even Bethesda, which until Beamdog showed up was the shittiest company I could think of, gives credit where credit is due and Black Isle hasn't been removed from Fallout games and from the store pages. Meanwhile Beamdog parasites have hijacked the game and you won't see it in the game or on the store.

That no-one here is crusading against this but instead obsessed with singling out Beamdog, shows that you don't actually care about this and are just looking to justify wallowing in hating them.
This is retarded, you expect me to mention all parasitic companies or none at all? This isn't what GOGmix are about, from the description:
"GOGmix is a user-created list of games around one theme", user-created so if I choose to make a list of only Beamdog games then that's my prerogative. Since I don't care about other games I'm not mentioning them, it's as simple as that. And 500 people agreed with me and liked that list and that was the main problem. Go back to Beamdog forums.
Post edited January 21, 2018 by goral
goral: And you're wrong, renaming a GOGmix is technically possible,
MarkoH01: I don't know a thing about this but I trust PaterAlf if he saying it is not on his end and I KNOW for a fact that it is not technical possible if adaliabooks is saying it.
I find it hard to believe that renaming a GOGmix is technically impossible. It may be time consuming, it may be possible for a few people, but impossible? More likely that all is stored in some kind of a database. In this case a DB-admin can use an SQL-request to alter any record (technically it is even possible to alter primary keys though not recommended).
low rated
goral:
Sorry kiddo, but it's clear your only definition of parasitism is "Beamdog" and nothing more. Even if your reasoning was sensical, and it isn't because it's vague and solely doing a certain thing for profit or having a diverse portfolio doesn't make that thing you do in and of itself better or worse, it wouldn't apply to them going by their list of games on wikipedia. I'm sure you have tons of important things to say though about how this and that doesn't count and blablablabla.

I'll spell it out again why you and your lists and what you're doing now makes you such a laughingstock: you're in a sweetshop founded on selling various donuts, whose best selling products are still donuts, shouting how this one company in the catalog is horrible for daring to sell donuts. That's why you're a joke and why this thread is so magical. Keep it up.
Olauron: I find it hard to believe that renaming a GOGmix is technically impossible. It may be time consuming, it may be possible for a few people, but impossible? More likely that all is stored in some kind of a database. In this case a DB-admin can use an SQL-request to alter any record (technically it is even possible to alter primary keys though not recommended).
Gog - Expect the impossible! (TM)

How's that for a company slogan? :P

You wouldn't expect a review system to be so borked that it would just gobble up the review and leave the author of said review with no possibility to write another one. Even after literally weeks and weeks of rummaging around in the website's innards, the web team is unable to track down the reason for the review not showing up, nor are they able to enable the reviewer to write another one. Happened to me.

You wouldn't expect the gogmix system to be so borked that you find you can't remove certain titles from your mix. And once you contact support about it you realise to your astonishment and horror that they can't remove the game either.

This website is being held together by chewing gum and every time a website glitch is fixed, 10 other things break. For all we know, changing the name of a gogmix might crash the website, nuke everyone's account or set the servers aflame.
low rated
Reading this:
goral: Nice strawman here. Beamdog isn't parasitic because they "appropriated and then sold a game for profit", they're parasitic because that's the only thing they do AND because they're removing original developers AND original vanilla games. Show me another company like it and then we can talk. Even Bethesda, which until Beamdog showed up was the shittiest company I could think of, gives credit where credit is due and Black Isle hasn't been removed from Fallout games and from the store pages. Meanwhile Beamdog parasites have hijacked the game and you won't see it in the game or on the store.
as this:
getrdy: Sorry kiddo, but it's clear your only definition of parasitism is "Beamdog" and nothing more.
lol
Name calling is the only thing left for you because you can't write even one logical argument.
getrdy: I'm sure you have tons of important things to say though about how this and that doesn't count and blablablabla.
Bla bla bla indeed.

getrdy: I'll spell it out again why you and your lists and what you're doing now makes you such a laughingstock: you're in a sweetshop founded on selling various donuts, whose best selling products are still donuts, shouting how this one company in the catalog is horrible for daring to sell donuts. That's why you're a joke and why this thread is so magical. Keep it up.
Wow, just wow. So much idiocy in so few sentences... It's pointless to spell it out, you won't understand anyway but on the other hand anyone with half a brain will see how stupid your analogy is.
Post edited January 21, 2018 by goral
Olauron: I find it hard to believe that renaming a GOGmix is technically impossible. It may be time consuming, it may be possible for a few people, but impossible? More likely that all is stored in some kind of a database. In this case a DB-admin can use an SQL-request to alter any record (technically it is even possible to alter primary keys though not recommended).
fronzelneekburm: Gog - Expect the impossible! (TM)

How's that for a company slogan? :P

You wouldn't expect a review system to be so borked that it would just gobble up the review and leave the author of said review with no possibility to write another one. Even after literally weeks and weeks of rummaging around in the website's innards, the web team is unable to track down the reason for the review not showing up, nor are they able to enable the reviewer to write another one. Happened to me.

You wouldn't expect the gogmix system to be so borked that you find you can't remove certain titles from your mix. And once you contact support about it you realise to your astonishment and horror that they can't remove the game either.

This website is being held together by chewing gum and every time a website glitch is fixed, 10 other things break. For all we know, changing the name of a gogmix might crash the website, nuke everyone's account or set the servers aflame.
GOG site and forum are far from ideal, but user interface is a completely different beast and I'm not talking about it when I'm talking about technical possibilities. It doesn't even matter what side of user interface is under discussion, be it customer UI or support team UI. Admin is above all. But (and it is actually understandable in most cases and I'm not ready to judge the OP case) usually admin is not given a task to manually tweak DB.
goral: there we go
Haha, nice. Case in point.
low rated
Tonight on GOG Channel!
Actually, I was thinking more this.
high rated
Vainamoinen: [...] A GOG mix is supposed to recommend games to other players. It's "A new way to discover classics", that's what it says in the fucking description. It's supposed to outright foster positivity. [...]
You seem to overlook that GOGmixes were introduced when GOG was still "Good Old Games", and that nothing about them got ever updated, i.e. that description you cite is a remnant of those days. You also seem to have missed that the description also says [emphasis added] "Make a GOGmix and help other gamers". Helping other gamers may take a variety of forms, and is not exclusively limited to recommending games to purchase/play. I for one find fronzelneekburm's GOGmix (and forum thread) that puts devs/pubs in the spotlight for the reasons mentioned very helpful, and positive as it allows people to make an informed decision; recommendations are subject to personal taste and preferences, semi/fully abandoned games, games lacking features/languages, etc. is a fact. JMO
Also, that mix actually recommended games... The ORIGINALS!