It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

dtgreene: 3. Sneak Attack and Attacks of Opportunity:
That's one point that I can definately agree on. I HATE attacks of opportunity. It makes no sense to me in any quasi real world way, it slows things down, and is a terrible pain in the ass unless you're playing with a grid and minatures, something me and my friends never do- we want to play an RPG, not a miniatures war game.
arrjayjee: I have never heard of Das Schwarze Auge but have long been dissatisfied with D&D. Can you give me a quick rundown of the system?
InfraSuperman: I can't tell you anything about "Das Schwarze Auge" ("The Dark Eye") itself, but several games here are based on it: the "Realms of Arkania" , [url=http://www.gog.com/game/blackguards_special_edition]"Blackguards", "Chains of Satinav" and "Memoria".
Oh, The Dark Eye. THAT'S what Klumpen was talking about.
I've heard of it, but only because of playing Chains of Satinav and Memoria. I had no idea it was an actual RPG game, I thought it was just the universe of those two games, like, some sort of planned series or something.
LeonardoCornejo: Can we move to a less emotionally charged topic? Maybe about microtransactions in purchased games? You know, a game you buy for 60 bucks and then you realize there are microtransactions and pointless or unfair DLC in them.
I think the interesting trend that we are seeing now is microtransactions for Early Access games which really boggles my mind. I have one of these games (Killing Floor 2) and I get annoyed by it even though it is purely cosmetic. Another thing to consider is that even though it is only cosmetic, it kills any sense of immersion the moment that you have someone walking around in some crazy uniform that is unlike anything in the base game.

I guess it could be worse like Metal Gear Solid V's "Base insurance" but it still irritates me.
From what I hear, the dark eye didn't do well at all in the USA. Person I heard it from is also from germany and played a bit of 1E in our group.
Klumpen0815: For the same reason why "Das Schwarze Auge" isn't as popular as the inferior "Dungeons & Dragons":
Because it isn't American.
arrjayjee: I have never heard of Das Schwarze Auge but have long been dissatisfied with D&D. Can you give me a quick rundown of the system?
The English translation is called "The Dark Eye" and as has been posted already, there are a few games on GoG that take place in this verse. I'm not much into pen'n'paper, but always found the whole magic system of D&D terrible. Maybe there's an active DSA player around here somewhere.
dtgreene: There's one other rule in AD&D 1e that I dislike to the point where I will refuse to play under any DM that enforces that rule: the female Strength cap. Thing is, female characters have lower strength caps than male characters, and female characters get *nothing* in return for it. I consider this sexist and will refuse to play any AD&D campaign that enforces the rule. If I am assigned the DM role, I will rule zero the rule out of existence; there is no good reason to disallow female characters from having high Strength if male characters are allowed it.
There’s actually one game that does it in a way that doesn’t disturb me: Morrowind.
Depending on the gender of your character, you get different starting attributes but the total stay the same.

As an example here are the basic attributes of a male Argonian:
Strength 40
Intelligence 40
Willpower 30
Agility 50
Speed 50
Endurance 30
Personality 30
Luck 40
And the same for a female Argonian:
Strength 40
Intelligence 50
Willpower 40
Agility 40
Speed 40
Endurance 30
Personality 30
Luck 40
I wonder where zeogold is? I have some games to donate to his giveaways.
on the rpg note, I will probably buy darwin's world 1st edition today, a fallout like pen and paper rpg.
pimpmonkey2382.313: I wonder where zeogold is? I have some games to donate to his giveaways.
Lurking as I've always been. I never really leave.
tinyE: This is why I for one only date snails. They are all hermaphrodites thus leaving no doubt as to what you are getting into, figuratively and literally.
That's probably why you never get anywhere...
Klumpen0815: The English translation is called "The Dark Eye" and as has been posted already, there are a few games on GoG that take place in this verse. I'm not much into pen'n'paper, but always found the whole magic system of D&D terrible. Maybe there's an active DSA player around here somewhere.
Honestly, I've never understood the point of those things. It seems like a lot of work for a game that could much more easily be accomplished through use of a computer-assisted program, so hosting an LAN party or something.
To be fair, though, I've never actually tried one, so maybe somebody can convince me otherwise. It's not exactly easy to get past the stereotype here of the "geek in the basement" if you're looking to play a match (I've been to my local board game store and I can assure you it is, in fact, true. I'm not even joking like I normally am, the clientele meets the stereotype perfectly).
Post edited January 12, 2016 by zeogold
Klumpen0815: always found the whole magic system of D&D terrible. Maybe there's an active DSA player around here somewhere.
Why?
Because you mysteriously forget a spell after casting it?
tinyE: This is why I for one only date snails. They are all hermaphrodites thus leaving no doubt as to what you are getting into, figuratively and literally.
My, my, how did I ever let such an opportunity like this pass me by?
*ahem*
Gee, tinyE, and here we all thought it's because it was all you had a chance with. Looking for somebody who goes at your pace, maybe?
Klumpen0815: always found the whole magic system of D&D terrible. Maybe there's an active DSA player around here somewhere.
Smannesman: Why?
Because you mysteriously forget a spell after casting it?
Exactly. Having to prepare a spell is one thing, but having to learn it all over again for a day every time is just bollocks.
Klumpen0815: Exactly. Having to prepare a spell is one thing, but having to learn it all over again for a day every time is just bollocks.
No, not bollocks.. it's magic.