It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

zeogold: You take it into account, sure, but I don't see how that helps your point any. These individuals (the ones with an actual disorder) need counseling of some sort to come into a better understanding of themselves, not hormones to push them one way or the other.
dtgreene: Of course, the result of that counseling is that the person realizes that gender transition is actually necessary for that person.

Attempts to reinforce the person's birth assigned sex have led to disaster and suicide.
Not always. It could lead to acceptance of their birth gender. The idea is to help them accept themselves for who they've always been, not push an entirely new gender on them like the current trend is thanks to tumblr, Buzzfeed, and others. I could point out how it's become almost a sort of attention-garnering gambit, but I think I'd rather not go there unless we bring up Jenner again.

That's only when there's a prejudice of some sort where the person is facing abuse. That's what the counseling is to prevent. If it's messing things up, you need a new therapist. If you refuse to accept yourself, therapist or no therapist, then counseling's not going to help one way or the other.
high rated
LeonardoCornejo: The attached picture states exactly what I think about the whole transgender topic. I know my rep will go down. I don't care.

Ibelieve if you don't feel a connection to your physical, biologycal, meassurable reality you are dellusional. And well, transgenders at least try to physically adjust their body to their mind, but all those other made up genders "bigender", "genderfluid", and others, and things such as the "otherkin" are the most terrible things to ever happen to our species and much likelly will present the downfall of all civilizations which manifest such dellusions. And example of that is the grown up man who decided he wanted to become a 6 year old girl and abandoned his family to do so.

But hey. all that is just my opinion, the opinion of some Mexican pendejo who likes lolicon and has not yet completed his college degree in literary studies. I am a nobody, it is up to you to take my views seriously, disregard them, or feel offended by them. The later being the reaction of a mentally wasteful person.
AccurateArt: I can safely tell you that your views on this topic are no less valid than mine or anyone else's because the value of a person does not depend on his/her educational or workplace accomplishments. Your voice is just as valuable, do not let anyone say otherwise :)

I remember reading that story about the guy who believes he is a 6 year old female. At first I thought I was reading the Onion. More horrifying than the actual story though were the people commenting in the story who were defending his actions.
Transgender activist will always manipulate the facts and numbers to further their cause, even when the statistic fall flat when the bigger picture is presented together.

Just like the wage gap myth, murder rate of transgender is highly manipulated. There is a huha about the murder of 15 transgender, "transgender murder has reached a historic high, you evil cis people."

But what they don't tell you is the total murder rate. In 2014, the average murder rate is 4.5 per 100000 people.
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/murder-rates-nationally-and-state

US population is 318.9 million in 2014, so that translate to 14350 murder. In 2014 there is the first large-scale government survey measuring Americans' sexual orientation and LGBT is 1.6 percent.

So we should have 230 murder of transgender people if murderer does not discriminate between straight and other gender. But we only have 15 murder of transgender, so it really show LGBT has it better then straight people, if anything, it is straight people who are oppress and single out for murder.

Edit: I made a mistake lumping transgender with LGBT as survey says 0.5 percent are transgender, so it should be 72 transgender murder instead of 230 vs 15 murder.
Post edited January 12, 2016 by Gnostic
high rated
arrjayjee: For the inevitable follow-up of "what if they were post-op", the answer is still no, because while I don't want kids now, I do want them later, and I want to have them with my partner in the usual way. I'm boring and vanilla, I know.
dtgreene: Suppose that medical science has advanced to the point where it is possible for a trans woman to receive uterus and ovary transplants, and for such transplants to actually produce eggs on their own, allowing you and her to have kids the usual way. Would that change your mind?

Also, suppose you are in a relationship with a cisgender woman and she tells you that she has a medical condition that prevents her from becoming pregnant. Would that make you break off the relationship?
On the first point, possibly. On the second point, no. Honestly, it's hard to say because we're talking about cold hypotheticals and not real people, but like I said I'm boring, personally conservative although socially liberal, and while I have no problems with trans people, I myself want a woman who was born a woman. If people think that makes me a bigot, that's fine, but I won't get in to a relationship I'm not satisfied with just to satisfy a third party's social justice thirst.
This is why I for one only date snails. They are all hermaphrodites thus leaving no doubt as to what you are getting into, figuratively and literally.
Post edited January 12, 2016 by tinyE
tinyE: This is why I for one only date snails.
You may need to watch Spartacus again.
budejovice: Just to clarify a couple of points before I pull a Breja, because there is misinformation here.

Gender nonconformity is not in itself a mental disorder according to the people that diagnose mental disorders.

Science really can tell us how long ago the Big Bang was. Radio telescopes have been measuring the cosmic background radiation since 1964.

Y'all have fun in here. :)
no money in helping someone come to peace with some inner demons. actually, there is I guess. but not as much as something involving more tools and machinery.
low rated
budejovice: Just to clarify a couple of points before I pull a Breja, because there is misinformation here.

Gender nonconformity is not in itself a mental disorder according to the people that diagnose mental disorders.

Science really can tell us how long ago the Big Bang was. Radio telescopes have been measuring the cosmic background radiation since 1964.

Y'all have fun in here. :)
johnnygoging: no money in helping someone come to peace with some inner demons. actually, there is I guess. but not as much as something involving more tools and machinery.
I don't believe in a Grand Conspiracy of the Social Workers, sorry.
johnnygoging: no money in helping someone come to peace with some inner demons. actually, there is I guess. but not as much as something involving more tools and machinery.
budejovice: I don't believe in a Grand Conspiracy of the Social Workers, sorry.
could I sell ya then on a itty bitty conspiracy of marginal economics?

but then, I wasn't really thinking of them. but now that you mention.. maybe you're on to something. that's why there's public healthcare in the states now. sex changes for all!!!
Egad! He is not one of the Comrades of our Glorious Revolution! Execute him at once!
low rated
dtgreene: Of course, the result of that counseling is that the person realizes that gender transition is actually necessary for that person.

Attempts to reinforce the person's birth assigned sex have led to disaster and suicide.
zeogold: Not always. It could lead to acceptance of their birth gender. The idea is to help them accept themselves for who they've always been, not push an entirely new gender on them like the current trend is thanks to tumblr, Buzzfeed, and others. I could point out how it's become almost a sort of attention-garnering gambit, but I think I'd rather not go there unless we bring up Jenner again.

That's only when there's a prejudice of some sort where the person is facing abuse. That's what the counseling is to prevent. If it's messing things up, you need a new therapist. If you refuse to accept yourself, therapist or no therapist, then counseling's not going to help one way or the other.
Actually, the rate of transition regret is very slow. The rate is less than 4 percent.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brynn-tannehill/myths-about-transition-regrets_b_6160626.html

Compare that to the fact that 24.1% of breast cancer survivors regret their surgeries used to treat the disease.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3015023/

johnnygoging: could I sell ya then on a itty bitty conspiracy of marginal economics?

but then, I wasn't really thinking of them. but now that you mention.. maybe you're on to something. that's why there's public healthcare in the states now. sex changes for all!!!
Unfortunately, that is not currently the reality in the US.

With that said, transgender people who seek surgery (which is a proper subset of all transgender people) are rare enough that the cost to the insurance company to cover it is actually really small.
Post edited January 12, 2016 by dtgreene
zeogold: Not always. It could lead to acceptance of their birth gender. The idea is to help them accept themselves for who they've always been, not push an entirely new gender on them like the current trend is thanks to tumblr, Buzzfeed, and others. I could point out how it's become almost a sort of attention-garnering gambit, but I think I'd rather not go there unless we bring up Jenner again.

dtgreene: Actually, the rate of transition regret is very slow. The rate is less than 4 percent.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brynn-tannehill/myths-about-transition-regrets_b_6160626.html

Compare that to the fact that 24.1% of breast cancer survivors regret their surgeries used to treat the disease.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3015023/
Not sure what the breast cancer has to do with anything, but I can see why there wouldn't be a transition regret due to the community and attention it garners. Again, I'd rather we not go down this road since I have a feeling that might be an emotionally-charged issue and I appreciate the civility and intelligence of this discussion so far.

Even if you like the transition, you've yet to address the previous point of lying within a relationship. As I've said before, I know that these people exist and respect them, but that does, by no means, indicate that I have to associate with them.
Can we move to a less emotionally charged topic? Maybe about microtransactions in purchased games? You know, a game you buy for 60 bucks and then you realize there are microtransactions and pointless or unfair DLC in them.
low rated
LeonardoCornejo: Can we move to a less emotionally charged topic? Maybe about microtransactions in purchased games? You know, a game you buy for 60 bucks and then you realize there are microtransactions and pointless or unfair DLC in them.
How would you react to this DLC being offered for a game:

$5: Reset game data
This consumable pack will erase your character and save, allowing you to start the game over. Note that this can only be used once: If you want to start over again, you need to purchase another Reset game data pack.
LeonardoCornejo: Can we move to a less emotionally charged topic? Maybe about microtransactions in purchased games? You know, a game you buy for 60 bucks and then you realize there are microtransactions and pointless or unfair DLC in them.
dtgreene: How would you react to this DLC being offered for a game:

This consumable pack will erase your character and save, allowing you to start the game over. Note that this can only be used once: If you want to start over again, you need to purchase another Reset game data pack.
Granted, but-
...oh...wait...wrong thread.
dtgreene: How would you react to this DLC being offered for a game:

Sounds like something out of the mind of EA, Ubi, or Valve.

Forunatelly it would not affect me since I rarely erase saves. But it is a very abussive system, one that would requite an intrussive DRM to prevent you from manually altering the save files in the folder they are kept.