It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hey, GOGgers,

We're not perfect, we're exploring new frontiers, and we make mistakes. We thought DRM-Free was so important that you'd prefer we bring you more DRM-Free games and Fair Price was less critical and that it could be sacrificed in some cases. The last two week's worth of comments in our forums (nearly 10k!), show that's not the case. We didn’t listen and we let you down. We shouldn't sacrifice one of our core values in an attempt to advance another. We feel bad about that, and we're sorry. Us being sorry is not of much use to you, so let’s talk about how we will fix it.

One: DRM-free forever. Abandoning fixed regional pricing means it will probably take longer to get some games, but you've made it clear that sacrificing fair pricing for more DRM-free games isn't acceptable.

Two: We will adamantly continue to fight for games with flat worldwide pricing. If that fails and we are required to have regional prices, we will make up the difference for you out of our own pockets. For now it will be with $5.99 and $9.99 game codes. In a couple of months, once we have such functionality implemented, we will give you store credit instead, which then you will be able to use towards any purchase and cover the price of it in full or partially. Effectively gamers from all around the world will be able to benefit from the US prices.

This will apply to every single game where we do not have flat pricing, such as Age of Wonders 3 (full details here), Divinity: Original Sin, and The Witcher 3. If you remember the Fair Price Package for The Witcher 2, this will be exactly the same.

Three: We still intend to introduce the pricing in local currencies. Let us explain why we want to do it and how we want to make it fair for everyone. From the very beginning our intention was to make things easier for users whose credit cards/payment systems are not natively in USD. The advantages are simple because the price is more understandable and easier to relate to. There would be no exchange rates involved, no transaction fees, and no other hidden charges. However after reading your comments, we realized we have taken an important element away: the choice. In order to fix this, we'll offer the option of paying in the local currency or the equivalent in USD. This way, how you pay is always your choice.

Four: You are what matters, and we will be sure to involve you all more in what we're doing and why we're doing it. Let's start by meeting you at GDC - we’d like to invite you to meet us face-to-face Monday the 17th at GDC. Obviously, not all of you can come to San Francisco, so we want to invite all of you to an online event with us early in April to ask us whatever you would like. More details soon.

The bottom line is simple: there may be companies that won't work with us (although we will work hard to convince the most stubborn ones ;). Yes, it means we might miss out on some games, but at the same time GOG.com will remain true to its values and will keep on offering you the best of DRM-free gaming with Fair Prices.

Once again thank you for caring so much about GOG.com. We will work hard not to disappoint you again.

--Marcin "iWi" Iwinski & Guillaume "TheFrenchMonk" Rambourg
OldFatGuy: So again, let me be clear in my question, what's wrong with raising the prices for EVERYBODY, so there is no regional pricing, everyone is paying the same thing, in order to make up for whatever losses may occur due to not going to regional pricing?
Neobr10: Because the world is not homogeneous, not every country in the world has the same average income. While the average american could easily swallow higher prices, the average russian/african/asian/south american could not.
No, the world isn't homogenous, but gog's prices are, that's the point. The people that supported one world one price came to gog because that's what they said they supported. For those of you interested in paying based on income, isn't there already enough choices out there?

I mean I get it, you completely disagree with the very concept of one world, one price. That's cool. So why buy here then?? If DRM free is enough of a draw then I suppose you'd be willing to pay for it???
OldFatGuy: So again, let me be clear in my question, what's wrong with raising the prices for EVERYBODY, so there is no regional pricing, everyone is paying the same thing, in order to make up for whatever losses may occur due to not going to regional pricing?
Neobr10: Because the world is not homogeneous, not every country in the world has the same average income. While the average american could easily swallow higher prices, the average russian/african/asian/south american could not.
Since the USA got a lower selling price than most of the african/asian/south american countries with regional pricing, it souldn't be a problem for them to swallow higher prices, if Kenya, Iran or Bolivia are asked to swallow higher prices.

http://www.gog.com/forum/age_of_wonders_series/post_your_regional_price_for_aow3/page1
Neobr10: I'm pretty sure most people were not against Russia getting lower prices than the rest of the world. They were against the fact that some countries were getting ripped off by regional pricing. Different things.
So why rip off some countries a big deal instead of just spreading the pain around so everyone gets a little?
LordRikerQ: Im glad to see they listen too, but I have to admit I am disappointed as well getting back to their roots dont include a intent to bring more classic games back.

I don't give a crap about all thew newer games, I want classic games I can't get anywhere else.
No, because only classic games
was voted away by the comunity that whished more newer games and indies as well by a voting poll.
In a democracy it works the way that the majority wins.
If it doesnt then that is not a democracy but something else.

I think i woud be pretty pissed in my own contry if the minorty won the election.
OldFatGuy: But almost every game pre-2004 or 2006 or so with in game support for 3D sound, or 5.1 sound, won't work and aren't even given as choices (grayed out) as though I don't have a 3D or 5.1 sound system when I do ... If someone could ever figure out how to make those great older games sound work right on today's OS and hardware, that would be great.
This isn't really something I've looked into but there are multiple solutions to try including (for DirectSound3D) and [url=http://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/28-creative-alchemy-universal/]Creative ALchemy Universal (for EAX on non-Creative cards).

There are also game-specific fixes in some cases (e.g. Thief, Thief II and System Shock 2 can get 3D effects by changing the hardware sound setting in-game after installing OpenAL and NewDark--GOG's versions already have NewDark included).
This is a rather interesting take on regional pricing.
Offsetting the cost in this way is not the same as eliminating silly pricing on digital goods however this seems to be a near perfect way to tackle the issue.

The cost on your side could well be covered by the advertising potential alone... ignore that, thanks for being a sensible distribution service.
Lodium: I think i woud be pretty pissed in my own contry if the minorty won the election.
Then you probably shouldn't move to this country, because in my country, the minority wins every election. The very same, tiny minority of rich assholes win every election, no matter which party may "win."

Arkose: This isn't really something I've looked into but there are multiple solutions to try including (for DirectSound3D) and [url=http://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/28-creative-alchemy-universal/]Creative ALchemy Universal (for EAX on non-Creative cards).

There are also game-specific fixes in some cases (e.g. Thief, Thief II and System Shock 2 can get 3D effects by changing the hardware sound setting in-game after installing OpenAL and NewDark--GOG's versions already have NewDark included).
Wow, thank you very much, I wasn't aware of any of this. Problem is I'm almost assuredly too stupid to figure out what exactly to do with them, but I am definitely going to look into it.

But who knows??? After all, today I did my first "wrapper"!!!!!! (despite still not knowing what that really means) *Claps back on self* .... *screams in pain from separating shoulder*
Post edited March 12, 2014 by OldFatGuy
Lodium: I think i woud be pretty pissed in my own contry if the minorty won the election.
OldFatGuy: Then you probably shouldn't move to this country, because in my country, the minority wins every election. The very same, tiny minority of rich assholes win every election, no matter which party may "win."
Oh we have some smaller issues with that ourself so the democracy thing here isnt perfect either.
Sadly money speaks more than voters in some cases here as well and i dont think it woud matter wich contry i woud move too.
Perhaps a monyless state but im not sure there exist one and there wouid be some troubles to what i shoud use to buy/get Games here.
GOG.com: Hey, GOGgers,

Three: We still intend to introduce the pricing in local currencies. Let us explain why we want to do it and how we want to make it fair for everyone. From the very beginning our intention was to make things easier for users whose credit cards/payment systems are not natively in USD. The advantages are simple because the price is more understandable and easier to relate to. There would be no exchange rates involved, no transaction fees, and no other hidden charges. However after reading your comments, we realized we have taken an important element away: the choice. In order to fix this, we'll offer the option of paying in the local currency or the equivalent in USD. This way, how you pay is always your choice.
The following statements in your post has confused me slightly

"In order to fix this, we'll offer the option of paying in the local currency or the equivalent in USD. This way, how you pay is always your choice."

does this mean that gog is still intending to charge discriminatory prices for non-americans, and that they have the option of paying the inflated price in USD, or that people are being charged the same price in USD, and are getting the option to pay the equivalent amount in their local currency.
because as written, it means the former.

and this statement

We still intend to introduce the pricing in local currencies.

which pricing? the one i just discussed?.
does this apply purely to new games? or to the catalog of games already released?

because as i interpret it, it seems this post is a smokescreen designed to calm the outrage, while you continue to implement unfair pricing on the entire catalog of new and classic games.
Kudos to GOG for listening to their customers!
wilson356725: The following statements in your post has confused me slightly

"In order to fix this, we'll offer the option of paying in the local currency or the equivalent in USD. This way, how you pay is always your choice."

does this mean that gog is still intending to charge discriminatory prices for non-americans, and that they have the option of paying the inflated price in USD, or that people are being charged the same price in USD, and are getting the option to pay the equivalent amount in their local currency.
because as written, it means the former.

and this statement

We still intend to introduce the pricing in local currencies.

which pricing? the one i just discussed?.
does this apply purely to new games? or to the catalog of games already released?
This was clarified in other posts although with the thread big and getting bigger, everyone might not have read through them all. From what has been posted, it is my understanding that there will be the US pricing as there always has been, plus they will be offering prices in many local currencies around the world as they're able to put it in place, where the "local currency" price is set based on a conversion rate at one point in time and gets updated as the currency exchange rates vary by more than a particular percentage. Someone suggested that might be 5% for example, so if a given currency is 8% on the dollar and the prices are set in the local currency at that rate, if the exchange rate changes by some fixed percentage, lets say 5% as the example, then the prices in that currency will be bumped up or down to account for the fluctuation in currency exchange rates. It was said that this would combat the problems that occur with trying to track exchange rates by the hour/day or whatever causing advertised prices to be out of sync with what people get charged and gives some stabilty to the pricing similar to how other consumer products are priced in non-US currency. Then, when you pay for something you would be able to decide to pay the local currency price with that fixed exchange rate built into the pricing, or to pay it in USD and take the exchange rates yourself if you're paying for USD in another currency.

So, if someone lives in some country and is bursting at the seems with a bank account full of USD, they can just pay in USD as they always have, and the ability to pay in Klingon Credits or whatever is simply a new option to them should they choose to use it.

Someone from GOG.com will invariably correct me if I've misunderstood what they've posted.
high rated
GOG.com: ...
SirPrimalform: Well I must say this is extremely welcome! Thank you for listening eventually (I get that it takes time to agree on a U turn like this).

I hope someone can be more specific about how this relates to the classic games though. You talk about the choice to pay in local currency or the equivalent in USD... so does this mean € users can pay $5.99 for a $5.99 classic if they choose USD or does that mean the USD equivalent of €4.49, which is $6.22? The difference is not huge but it's still a question I'm interested in the answer to.
It relates to the classics as follows - if you choose USD you pay the USD price i.e. $5.99 as per your example. If you go for the local price you will pay a fixed price in given currency - for example €4.49. You are free to choose whatever works best for you at a given time and yes - currencies will fluctuate, so sometimes the USD price will be a better deal and sometimes the local price, but the differences should not be big.
Post edited March 12, 2014 by iWi
SirPrimalform: Well I must say this is extremely welcome! Thank you for listening eventually (I get that it takes time to agree on a U turn like this).

I hope someone can be more specific about how this relates to the classic games though. You talk about the choice to pay in local currency or the equivalent in USD... so does this mean € users can pay $5.99 for a $5.99 classic if they choose USD or does that mean the USD equivalent of €4.49, which is $6.22? The difference is not huge but it's still a question I'm interested in the answer to.
iWi: It relates to the classics as follows - if you choose USD you pay the USD price i.e. $5.99 as per your example. If you go for the local price you will pay a fixed price in given currency - for example €4.49. You are free to choose whatever works best for you at a given time and yes - currencies will fluctuate, so sometimes the USD price will be a better deal and sometimes the local price, but the differences should not be big.
I can't logically conclude why any publisher will say no to that method... unless they want to skin people on purpose or something. That's a goddamn win-win and the sooner they realize that - the better!
low rated
I've been a part of this site since you first launched, and haven't felt the need to post anything, until now, so please understand how strongly I feel when I say honestly, i think you've made a HUGE mistake.

GOG, to me, has always been first and foremost about Good Old Games. DRM-free is a bonus, but honestly? I go to this website for one reason alone. Because I want to legitimately purchase the forgotten gems of the past, and have them run easily on my machine.

The fact that you're caving because of a bunch of whining brats on a message board, and costing me the experience of playing classic gems from the past, is pathetic. I'm sure we'll never know what business partnerships you lost because of that flip-flopping, but if even ONE game from the past is now inaccessible because of your decision, then it wasn't worth it.

This is really, terribly disappointing. I thought that with your acquisition of the rights to sell System Shock 2, and hinting at a partnership with one of the last holdout corporations, that things were about to get amazing. But instead, there's been a severe drought of interesting releases, and honestly, the latest and greatest "indie" titles just don't cut it.

Get it together, GOG.
Arkose: snip
Wow, I'm almost in tears here at the generosity of gogers once again.

I just followed that first link, and within 5 minutes, had 3D sound enabled on the game of Diablo 2 I've been all day. Just like that, a 1 second download, a little reading, and copy and paste one file, and boom, I go into Diablo, all those things that were grayed out were now options, switched to 3D sound, and... well, just unbelievable.

I know I get on some goggers sometimes because sometimes it seems our lack of empathy toward our fellow games (and fellow humans) is less than what it should be, but man this place is amazing. Just amazing.

There's no way possible I could ever repay everyone for all the help I've gotten here, AND all the great memories from buying classic games here. It's just.... well, moving. Today has been a great day for me, seeing gog the company do the right thing and goggers as always helping each other.

I mean one OT shooting the breeze post and a problem I've had for the last several years (how to get 3D gaming in old games going again) is solved, or at least potentially solved, and is solved on one game.

Thank you gog and goggers. You're truly the best.