It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hey, GOGgers,

We're not perfect, we're exploring new frontiers, and we make mistakes. We thought DRM-Free was so important that you'd prefer we bring you more DRM-Free games and Fair Price was less critical and that it could be sacrificed in some cases. The last two week's worth of comments in our forums (nearly 10k!), show that's not the case. We didn’t listen and we let you down. We shouldn't sacrifice one of our core values in an attempt to advance another. We feel bad about that, and we're sorry. Us being sorry is not of much use to you, so let’s talk about how we will fix it.

One: DRM-free forever. Abandoning fixed regional pricing means it will probably take longer to get some games, but you've made it clear that sacrificing fair pricing for more DRM-free games isn't acceptable.

Two: We will adamantly continue to fight for games with flat worldwide pricing. If that fails and we are required to have regional prices, we will make up the difference for you out of our own pockets. For now it will be with $5.99 and $9.99 game codes. In a couple of months, once we have such functionality implemented, we will give you store credit instead, which then you will be able to use towards any purchase and cover the price of it in full or partially. Effectively gamers from all around the world will be able to benefit from the US prices.

This will apply to every single game where we do not have flat pricing, such as Age of Wonders 3 (full details here), Divinity: Original Sin, and The Witcher 3. If you remember the Fair Price Package for The Witcher 2, this will be exactly the same.

Three: We still intend to introduce the pricing in local currencies. Let us explain why we want to do it and how we want to make it fair for everyone. From the very beginning our intention was to make things easier for users whose credit cards/payment systems are not natively in USD. The advantages are simple because the price is more understandable and easier to relate to. There would be no exchange rates involved, no transaction fees, and no other hidden charges. However after reading your comments, we realized we have taken an important element away: the choice. In order to fix this, we'll offer the option of paying in the local currency or the equivalent in USD. This way, how you pay is always your choice.

Four: You are what matters, and we will be sure to involve you all more in what we're doing and why we're doing it. Let's start by meeting you at GDC - we’d like to invite you to meet us face-to-face Monday the 17th at GDC. Obviously, not all of you can come to San Francisco, so we want to invite all of you to an online event with us early in April to ask us whatever you would like. More details soon.

The bottom line is simple: there may be companies that won't work with us (although we will work hard to convince the most stubborn ones ;). Yes, it means we might miss out on some games, but at the same time GOG.com will remain true to its values and will keep on offering you the best of DRM-free gaming with Fair Prices.

Once again thank you for caring so much about GOG.com. We will work hard not to disappoint you again.

--Marcin "iWi" Iwinski & Guillaume "TheFrenchMonk" Rambourg
Nobility in an age where greed is the law of the land. This is very nice to see.

Oh but yes you still need to work on getting more of the classic games, and less of these indie games that become more and more cookie cutter all the time.
Post edited March 11, 2014 by BloodMist
Lowe0: I have to admit, I'm kind of saddened that a post about getting back to your roots doesn't include a single mention of classic games, especially after the last open letter pretty much said you'd sewn up all the classics that were possible to license.
Did you miss last Thursday's release?
Lowe0: I have to admit, I'm kind of saddened that a post about getting back to your roots doesn't include a single mention of classic games, especially after the last open letter pretty much said you'd sewn up all the classics that were possible to license. I'm here for the games that I can't legally acquire anymore, or that benefit from the extra effort of making them compatible with modern systems. No one else is really serving that segment of the market.
Fear not, the thing about time is, it passes. I'm sure as titles begin to gather dust, the entities owning their rights will open up to monetizing those rights, particularly for publishers and developers who are already in GOG's catalog.
In the meantime, the classics catalog here is pretty awesome, as are some of the indie games that have pleasantly surprised me.
Post edited March 11, 2014 by rawmilk905
Lowe0: I'm here for the games that I can't legally acquire anymore, or that benefit from the extra effort of making them compatible with modern systems. No one else is really serving that segment of the market.
I really wish I knew how to do that stuff myself. I wish I knew how to really use and take advantage of DOSBOX and some of the emulators or not-emulators (WINE - Wine Is Not an Emulator) but I can't.

For me my biggest problem seems to always be sound. Sometimes even games purchased that have had that extra effort will run, but don't run to their maximum potential. For example, I've got a newer system with onboard 7.1 sound. Whether it's 7.1 or 5.1, both are pretty awesome in my book, and both are definitely what you would call "3D sound" in that they're surround sound.

But almost every game pre-2004 or 2006 or so with in game support for 3D sound, or 5.1 sound, won't work and aren't even given as choices (grayed out) as though I don't have a 3D or 5.1 sound system when I do.

And dammit I like, no, I LOVE 5.1 sound playing games. Hearing enemies come up from behind you on the left is awesome, and you don't get that in stereo, even with the surround sound speakers.

If someone could ever figure out how to make those great older games sound work right on today's OS and hardware, that would be great. Because I know I have no chance I'll ever figure it out. Though I truly do wish I could.
Post edited March 11, 2014 by OldFatGuy
SirLesterMarwood: I can't honestly see GoG chasing new release titles hard now that regional pricing is going to fall back on them. I just cant help but wonder what we're going to miss out on...
THIS

The cost of no regional pricing is less AA and AAA drm-free games. You cannot win it all, I really hope gog's long term business doesn't suffer because they have no old game releases to fall back on and newer releases are harder to license.

Still, happy there was a compromise. I just worry about gog's long-term future.
Oh goody, so we get less new games now because people had to cry. Thanks people for making steam even more of a monopoly now; at least with what was happening we would of had a DRM free version for the same price as steam. Now GoG will just mainly be indies; or GoG will have to eat the price difference from there version and steams; which is not healthy for GoG if we want it to be a true competitor to steam. Congratulations!
SirLesterMarwood: I can't honestly see GoG chasing new release titles hard now that regional pricing is going to fall back on them. I just cant help but wonder what we're going to miss out on...
lostintime: THIS

The cost of no regional pricing is less AA and AAA drm-free games. You cannot win it all, I really hope gog's long term business doesn't suffer because they have no old game releases to fall back on and newer releases are harder to license.

Why couldn't they just raise prices to compensate for any loss from not using regional pricing and thus, nothing "falls back on them" and thus, they'll go after them just as hard?
AKASlaphappy: Oh goody, so we get less new games now because people had to cry. Thanks people for making steam even more of a monopoly now; at least with what was happening we would of had a DRM free version for the same price as steam. Now GoG will just mainly be indies; or GoG will have to eat the price difference from there version and steams; which is not healthy for GoG if we want it to be a true competitor to steam. Congratulations!
Same question as above to you.
Post edited March 11, 2014 by OldFatGuy
I'm glad the decision was rethought, and you guys are admitting it was a mistake, though I do wonder why it happened in the first place.

The choice to coach the wording by playing up the commitment to DRM free was particularly disingenuous. Please for the next time realize that no matter how much people dislike DRM, it's not a get out of jail free PR point that will let you do as you please. And honestly it should have occured to you that if you are willing to compromise one of your core values, your customers have every reason to fear you would be willing to compromise other core values.

But water under the bridge. I'm glad this decision has been made. While this will make the service a harder sell to publishers, hopefully some will see that integrity is still important.
lostintime: THIS

OldFatGuy: Why couldn't they just raise prices to compensate for any loss from not using regional pricing and thus, nothing "falls back on them" and thus, they'll go after them just as hard?
AKASlaphappy: Oh goody, so we get less new games now because people had to cry. Thanks people for making steam even more of a monopoly now; at least with what was happening we would of had a DRM free version for the same price as steam. Now GoG will just mainly be indies; or GoG will have to eat the price difference from there version and steams; which is not healthy for GoG if we want it to be a true competitor to steam. Congratulations!
OldFatGuy: Same question as above to you.
Well if they did that there would be no difference from that and having regional prices, which is what the vocal people on this forum are completely against. In the end they would have to raise prices to make up for the largest regional price adjustments, so we all would be paying more then Steam or gamersgate for there games..now honestly can everyone here say they would pay more then steeam or anywhere else to get a DRM free game.

The funny part to me is everyone was crying about the regional pricing, but no one ever mentions the fact that when you buy a $60 game you are paying the same price for a digital version as a physical copy. So in other words why would you have to pay the same price for something that does not go through the traditional distribution chain.
Kudos for listening to your users and deciding to stick to your core values, even if it may hurt in some other areas. I'm so used to companies, especially in the games industry, taking a "my way or the highway and if you don't like it stop being so entitled" stance that seeing that not happen for once is more surprising than it really should be. These kinds of situations are what turn people from customers into long term supporters, keep it up!
If you can't beat em - join em, eh? How does that make em an competitor?
Great decision, GOG.com. Now, how about talking Night Dive Studios into publishing Dark Seed and Dark Seed 2 on here?
AKASlaphappy: Well if they did that there would be no difference from that and having regional prices, which is what the vocal people on this forum are completely against. In the end they would have to raise prices to make up for the largest regional price adjustments, so we all would be paying more then Steam or gamersgate for there games..now honestly can everyone here say they would pay more then steeam or anywhere else to get a DRM free game.

The funny part to me is everyone was crying about the regional pricing, but no one ever mentions the fact that when you buy a $60 game you are paying the same price for a digital version as a physical copy. So in other words why would you have to pay the same price for something that does not go through the traditional distribution chain.
I'm afraid you misunderstand what the vocal people in this forum are completely against.

What the vocal people on this forum are against is DIFFERENT PRICES.

So again, let me be clear in my question, what's wrong with raising the prices for EVERYBODY, so there is no regional pricing, everyone is paying the same thing, in order to make up for whatever losses may occur due to not going to regional pricing?
Post edited March 12, 2014 by OldFatGuy
OldFatGuy: So again, let me be clear in my question, what's wrong with raising the prices for EVERYBODY, so there is no regional pricing, everyone is paying the same thing, in order to make up for whatever losses may occur due to not going to regional pricing?
Because the world is not homogeneous, not every country in the world has the same average income. While the average american could easily swallow higher prices, the average russian/african/asian/south american could not.
OldFatGuy: What the vocal people on this forum are against is DIFFERENT PRICES.
I'm pretty sure most people were not against Russia getting lower prices than the rest of the world. They were against the fact that some countries were getting ripped off by regional pricing. Different things.
Post edited March 12, 2014 by Neobr10
Im glad to see they listen too, but I have to admit I am disappointed as well getting back to their roots dont include a intent to bring more classic games back.

I don't give a crap about all thew newer games, I want classic games I can't get anywhere else.