It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hey, GOGgers,

We're not perfect, we're exploring new frontiers, and we make mistakes. We thought DRM-Free was so important that you'd prefer we bring you more DRM-Free games and Fair Price was less critical and that it could be sacrificed in some cases. The last two week's worth of comments in our forums (nearly 10k!), show that's not the case. We didn’t listen and we let you down. We shouldn't sacrifice one of our core values in an attempt to advance another. We feel bad about that, and we're sorry. Us being sorry is not of much use to you, so let’s talk about how we will fix it.

One: DRM-free forever. Abandoning fixed regional pricing means it will probably take longer to get some games, but you've made it clear that sacrificing fair pricing for more DRM-free games isn't acceptable.

Two: We will adamantly continue to fight for games with flat worldwide pricing. If that fails and we are required to have regional prices, we will make up the difference for you out of our own pockets. For now it will be with $5.99 and $9.99 game codes. In a couple of months, once we have such functionality implemented, we will give you store credit instead, which then you will be able to use towards any purchase and cover the price of it in full or partially. Effectively gamers from all around the world will be able to benefit from the US prices.

This will apply to every single game where we do not have flat pricing, such as Age of Wonders 3 (full details here), Divinity: Original Sin, and The Witcher 3. If you remember the Fair Price Package for The Witcher 2, this will be exactly the same.

Three: We still intend to introduce the pricing in local currencies. Let us explain why we want to do it and how we want to make it fair for everyone. From the very beginning our intention was to make things easier for users whose credit cards/payment systems are not natively in USD. The advantages are simple because the price is more understandable and easier to relate to. There would be no exchange rates involved, no transaction fees, and no other hidden charges. However after reading your comments, we realized we have taken an important element away: the choice. In order to fix this, we'll offer the option of paying in the local currency or the equivalent in USD. This way, how you pay is always your choice.

Four: You are what matters, and we will be sure to involve you all more in what we're doing and why we're doing it. Let's start by meeting you at GDC - we’d like to invite you to meet us face-to-face Monday the 17th at GDC. Obviously, not all of you can come to San Francisco, so we want to invite all of you to an online event with us early in April to ask us whatever you would like. More details soon.

The bottom line is simple: there may be companies that won't work with us (although we will work hard to convince the most stubborn ones ;). Yes, it means we might miss out on some games, but at the same time GOG.com will remain true to its values and will keep on offering you the best of DRM-free gaming with Fair Prices.

Once again thank you for caring so much about GOG.com. We will work hard not to disappoint you again.

--Marcin "iWi" Iwinski & Guillaume "TheFrenchMonk" Rambourg
mobutu: for still believing in fair gaming for everybody
GOG never stopped believing in "fair gaming"; the problem is that to be able to sell a game, GOG has to abide by the prices set by their partners.

That's just business.

As consumers, if we don't like it, we don't have to participate. But to imply that GOG has done something immoral or betrayed its principles is just not true.
Thanks for listening!

Btw. VAT means added taxes. If they apply, they are added to the same price for the whole world, and depent on your country. Nothing to do with gog - and no problem for me at all.

This wasn't about avoiding taxes!

And, btw., at the moment 1 EUR = 1 USD x 1.33, while VAT is 19% here in Germany, for example.
low rated
Mirkat: I am happy to see GoG re-embracing one of its core values. [...] A Win - Win situation.
Actually, GOG is going to take a financial hit to please customers who don't understand (or won't accept) the realities of doing business in a global market.
I just want to say that gog is, without a doubt, the most pro-consumer business I've ever encountered and the reason I have a library of 100+ games legitimately purchased through the service, rather than an equal-sized library of pirated games. I cannot in good faith say the same about steam, desura, or any of the other digital distribution hubs.

Thanks gog
Post edited March 13, 2014 by TheSpartan
high rated
Mirkat: I am happy to see GoG re-embracing one of its core values. [...] A Win - Win situation.
TheOperaGhost: Actually, GOG is going to take a financial hit to please customers who don't understand (or won't accept) the realities of doing business in a global market.
In the end, the market decides what is good, and the market is the consumers, we are those.

You seem to don't understand that were you in the same situation as those that were treated unfairly, you'd do the same.

Unfortunately, that's the hypocrisy of mankind.
Hi, GOG. I am glad that you compromised on the regional pricing idea. I had less of an issue with charging in local currency, but your idea of allowing the customer a choice is great!

I had planned on simply stopping buying for a while and maybe switch to HumbleBundle later (at least for the non DRM-ed Humble Bundles). But now I don't have to do that. Thanks. Bought a game yesterday already, although as usual I don't know when I will ever get the time to play it.
high rated
TheOperaGhost: Actually, GOG is going to take a financial hit to please customers who don't understand (or won't accept) the realities of doing business in a global market.
You mean they should be happy to pay more and just hand over their money in order to understand?

A global market would probably more often be associated with flat prices. Regional pricing is more an expression of a fragmented market, I guess.
Thank you for listening to your clients and reconsidering your decision GOG.
high rated
Trilarion: A global market would probably more often be associated with flat prices. Regional pricing is more an expression of a fragmented market, I guess.
I was thinking the same thing. that Regional pricing did not seem to be very "global"
a global market that always benefits those who live in the united states. that's always good news to you, isn't it? as every single time somebody gets screwed it happens in another country.... i think you are the one that won't never understand the situation
Trilarion: You mean they should be happy to pay more and just hand over their money in order to understand?

A global market would probably more often be associated with flat prices. Regional pricing is more an expression of a fragmented market, I guess.
By "doing business in a global market" I guess he meant selling a game in the whole world". Selling the product in the whole world AND at the same price is hard because of different legislation and taxations depending on the country.

GOG is trying to sell the games at the same price (by giving store cupons or game cards) and that's very nice from them. But they will have 0 income from those games sold in EU. http://www.gog.com/forum/general/getting_back_to_our_roots/post894

The EU customers paying more then VAT (1$=1euro price) is not right but GOG geting nada from these sales is not right either if you ask me.
If there truly have been a free global market then there woud have much more feirce competition over the prices but its not like that.
Its not like we can get copy Levis jeans from china for cheap withouth actually being in china or ordering from black market.
Every store then woud have tried to have the lowest prices possible to attract potential customers.
Ask you yourself if the global free market truly work this way its intended in a free market.
Post edited March 13, 2014 by Lodium
Trilarion: A global market would probably more often be associated with flat prices. Regional pricing is more an expression of a fragmented market, I guess.
Because those "realities of doing business in a global market" are: Outsource as much work as possible to the countries where you get the cheapest labor, try to evade taxes in your homeland, and then make the most profit by artificially preventing the customers from doing the same and calling anyone who tries to circumvent the system in order to get the best deals and save a few dollars an irresponsible cheapskate. :P
Post edited March 13, 2014 by Leroux
I would have abandoned fair prices to get the big publishers to sell their games DRM-free. The regional pricing wouldn't effect games who aren't sold in retail anyway and this way it simply means GOG is missing out on (hopefully few) big games.
I don't think it is possible to achieve the goal of
making all PC & MAC video games 100% DRM-free, whether classic or brand-new titles.
without sacrifices. When I read the letter from TheFrenchMonk I was happy to expect some newer titles in the catalogue but I didn't comment. Now, after many users went beserk, I think GOG won't be able to challenge Steam someday because the catalogue simply won't get anywhere near Steam. :(

If I misunderstood anything, please, correct me.
KILLA-CONNI: I would have abandoned fair prices to get the big publishers to sell their games DRM-free. The regional pricing wouldn't effect games who aren't sold in retail anyway and this way it simply means GOG is missing out on (hopefully few) big games.
I don't think it is possible to achieve the goal of

making all PC & MAC video games 100% DRM-free, whether classic or brand-new titles.
KILLA-CONNI: without sacrifices. When I read the letter from TheFrenchMonk I was happy to expect some newer titles in the catalogue but I didn't comment. Now, after many users went beserk, I think GOG won't be able to challenge Steam someday because the catalogue simply won't get anywhere near Steam. :(

If I misunderstood anything, please, correct me.
Let's be honest here: Steam catalogue is half-full of shit. They made a bad decision with their Greenlight... and hey look: they're coming back on their decision.
tonyc_76: Hi, GOG. I am glad that you compromised on the regional pricing idea. I had less of an issue with charging in local currency, but your idea of allowing the customer a choice is great!

I had planned on simply stopping buying for a while and maybe switch to HumbleBundle later (at least for the non DRM-ed Humble Bundles). But now I don't have to do that. Thanks. Bought a game yesterday already, although as usual I don't know when I will ever get the time to play it.
Humble Bndle Store has "regional prices", but most of their games is adapted everyday (but rounded to ,99 or ,49) whic makes a lot of the games cheaper than buying on Steam directly AND you get a Steam key anyway. There's no reason to buy those games on Steam.
Post edited March 13, 2014 by Zoidberg