It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

PaterAlf: Now I need a new game and I'm in the mood for a dungeon crawler:

Ishar
Eye of the Beholder
Lands of Lore
Ultima Underworld
Anvil of Dawn
Arx Fatalis
Barony
Elminage Gothic
Legend of Grimrock
Stonekeep
Torchlight (I kow that it's not a classic dungeon crawler)
I like Elminage Gothic. Just be aware that, after the early game, the game is actually not that easy.

Currently, my backlog of games I am actually interested in playing right now is empty. Do you have any recommendation from that backlog? (Or perhaps some recommendation of on obscure 2D JRPG?)

P. S. Even though I posted in this thread, I don't consider myself to be a gentleman, so please don't call me one.
dtgreene: I like Elminage Gothic. Just be aware that, after the early game, the game is actually not that easy.

Currently, my backlog of games I am actually interested in playing right now is empty. Do you have any recommendation from that backlog? (Or perhaps some recommendation of on obscure 2D JRPG?)

P. S. Even though I posted in this thread, I don't consider myself to be a gentleman, so please don't call me one.
Challenge accepted, I will play Elminage Gothic next.

When it comes to 2D JRPGS, I can't really give you a recommendation. But some years ago when I only played freeware games, I've played and enjoyed Exit Fate and Last Scenario by SCF.

http://site.scfworks.com/?page_id=10
I'm sorry, but for the first time I have to reject a game. Tried to play Elminage Gothic for more than two hours now and it's certainly the most clunky and unintuitive game that I've played in a while.

Fighting, casting spells, inventory management, healing characters and everything else is unnecessary complicated to control. I've read the manual, because I thought I've missed something, but it also didn't help.

I really tried to like it, but I didn't have any fun with it and playing without having fun doesn't make much sense to me.

Can someone choose one of the other games, please:

Ishar
Eye of the Beholder
Lands of Lore
Ultima Underworld
Anvil of Dawn
Arx Fatalis
Barony
Legend of Grimrock
Stonekeep
Torchlight (I kow that it's not a classic dungeon crawler)
Lords of Xulima
PaterAlf: Eye of the Beholder
I started playing this one a good while back when I got distracted by new shinies (again!), but from the few hours I put into it I really had fun with it. You just have to acclimate yourself to some of its dated design: mainly the no auto-map part and taking notes on items you need to track down and game world puzzles. Just be sure to have enough graph paper and pencils handy. ;) Actually, I kind of enjoyed doing it the old school way.

So, yeah, I would definitely recommend this one. The overall game design holds up rather well still.
Post edited November 28, 2016 by mistermumbles
PaterAlf: Eye of the Beholder
mistermumbles: I started playing this one a good while back when I got distracted by new shinies (again!), but from the few hours I put into it I really had fun with it. You just have to acclimate yourself to some of its dated design: mainly the no auto-map part and jotting notes on items you need to track down and game world puzzles. Just be sure to have enough graph paper and pencils handy. ;) Actually, I kind of enjoyed doing it the old school way.

So, yeah, I would definitely recommend this one. The overall game design holds up rather well still.
Challenge accepted.

Outdated design and drawing my own maps shouldn't be a problem. I've played the first two Might and Magic games some time ago and had a lot of fun with it. Graph paper and pencils are still on my desk. ;)
I am not sure if I may join the Gentleman's Backlog Club yet considering I am completely new to the forums and only have 2 Rep points, but if I may...

My intention is to beat every game I own, even if I dislike it, because every game probably has something that is worth playing it for considering the insane amounts of man-hours it takes to make one.

I just restarted my gaming life by switching back from console to PC, and since I do not intend to purchase DRM-ridden games on any service, I'll stick only to GoG Games. I just started with the Black Friday sale, so my backlog is very small indeed! :) If that's all acceptable to you... Here's my list! (and Thanks!):

- Trine: Enchanted Edition
- Rex Nebular And The Cosmic Gender Bender
- Divinity: Original Sin: Enhanced Edition
- Grim Dawn
- Day of the Tentacle Remastered (you may also specify if I should play this game in either new or original mode. I'll play original if you don't).
Post edited November 28, 2016 by Karterii93
Karterii93: - Day of the Tentacle Remastered (you may also specify if I should play this game in either new or original mode. I'll play original if you don't).
Welcome to GOG and to the Gentleman's Backlog Club!

If you've never played Day of the Tentacle before and have any love for the adventure genre, you should absolutely play it. It's one of the best adventures ever made.

Personally I prefer the original mode, so I would play that. But it would also be fine for me, if you want to play with the new graphics instead.
PaterAlf: I'm sorry, but for the first time I have to reject a game. Tried to play Elminage Gothic for more than two hours now and it's certainly the most clunky and unintuitive game that I've played in a while.

Fighting, casting spells, inventory management, healing characters and everything else is unnecessary complicated to control. I've read the manual, because I thought I've missed something, but it also didn't help.

I really tried to like it, but I didn't have any fun with it and playing without having fun doesn't make much sense to me.
One question: How did you control the game? Did you use keyboard, mouse, or a gamepad?

The game was actually originally made for the Japanese PlayStation Portable, and therefore is intended to be played with a gamepad. Mouse control was an addition made to the PC version, and is not how the game was meant to be controlled.
dtgreene: The game was actually originally made for the Japanese PlayStation Portable, and therefore is intended to be played with a gamepad. Mouse control was an addition made to the PC version, and is not how the game was meant to be controlled.
I used mouse and keyboard. Maybe that's the reason why it felt completely unintuitive and one needs about ten clicks for even the most simple commands.
dtgreene: The game was actually originally made for the Japanese PlayStation Portable, and therefore is intended to be played with a gamepad. Mouse control was an addition made to the PC version, and is not how the game was meant to be controlled.
PaterAlf: I used mouse and keyboard. Maybe that's the reason why it felt completely unintuitive and one needs about ten clicks for even the most simple commands.
It might have been. How do you think the game would be with just keyboard (that is, ignoring the mouse)?

The game is a port of a console game, so it, of course, controls like a console game.
dtgreene: It might have been. How do you think the game would be with just keyboard (that is, ignoring the mouse)?
Tried it with keyboard only and it was the same problem. It's overly complicated to give commands.

But it wasn't the only problem for me. For example my whole party died while doing a training fight (I thought it was harmless and not lead to death). Wouldn't have been a big deal if I could find and revive them, but they are neither in the temple nor is there an option to find them at the training center where they died. This was very frustrating. Played with the default heroes after that, but I just didn't have any fun.

Started Eye of the Beholder now and I like it much better.
PaterAlf, Have you played Wizardly series especially early ones?
Elminage Gothic is essentially Wizardly on steroid for avid Wizardly fans. not everyone's game.
Jut a thought. Enjoy Eye of the Beholder which is much better accessibility.
yoshino: PaterAlf, Have you played Wizardly series especially early ones?
Elminage Gothic is essentially Wizardly on steroid for avid Wizardly fans. not everyone's game.
I've played Wizardry 6 and 7 back then and liked them a lot. My main problem are really unintuitive controls (never had that problem with the Wizardry games) and that a lot of stuff isn't explained anywhere (neither in the game nor in the manual).
I've managed to beat Victor Vran and I definitely recommend it to you PaterAlf. The game looks amazing plays very well and has no bugs (or at least I did not encounter any). It's a little different from other ARPG games because each weapon has 3 different skills that have only cooldown, mana was replaced overdrive that you gain while you fight and you can costumize your character much better because you have destiny cards and demon powers. Another thing that you can costumize is the difficulty by using Hexes that make the game much harder but at the same time much more rewarding.

I will definetly come back to this game some other time to complete the map challanges 100%( I've completed only 40% of them)

If anyone is willing to recommend me my next game:

GOG
Spelunky
Heroes of Might and Magic 3 Complete
Expeditions: Conquistador

Steam
The Bureau: XCOM Declassified
Company of Heroes
Darksiders II
Dead Space 2
Duke Nukem Forever
Deus Ex Human Revolution( not the Director's Cut version)
Dustforce
Civilization V
Spec Ops: The Line
yoshino: PaterAlf, Have you played Wizardly series especially early ones?
PaterAlf: I've played Wizardry 6 and 7 back then and liked them a lot. My main problem are really unintuitive controls (never had that problem with the Wizardry games) and that a lot of stuff isn't explained anywhere (neither in the game nor in the manual).
Elminage Gothic is actually based on earlier Wizardry games, specifically 1-3 and 5. (Wizardry 4 is very different from the rest of the series. It's worth playing, but not before playing Wizardry 1, and only with the mindset that the game is designed for experts; there's a reason the game gives you 8 save slots, for instance.)